Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Awesome! I just discovered this thread. Years ago I tried this game on a whim, and became totally hooked. It is SUCH a good game. I might go so far as to say that it's the best GBA game period. It is certainly one of the most fun beat-em-ups I've ever played. It's combat is incredibly satisfying, it's story and writing are remarkably deep, and it has several extremely unique mechanics to it, including the Omega Factor, and something we won't be seeing for a while that is really quite cool.

Also, the game has a constant, fair difficulty curve. I got my rear end handed to me for quite a few tries at first against the Magnamite, until I started playing around with the stat system, finding out which stats are most important for the fight, and how you can dodge him. That final desperation mode was really what would get me. But also, as the game went on it continued to be challenging at an even pace, where throughout the game I found myself struggling just enough to keep me trying when I'd fail.

My only real complaint about the game is that a few of the hidden characters ala Alejo here are pretty obtuse in their hiding spots. I only had to refer to gamefaqs for one of them though, and I felt cheap and like I cheated that I had to. I'll point who out when we get there in a long time.

Though I 100%ed the game, I'm still really liking this LP because I don't know much about the characters and it's really interesting to hear who they all were beforehand. Also, I can't wait to see others' reactions once THAT plot direction change happens. Keep up the good work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hoss Corncave posted:

I do remember one particular character that I found completely at random by jumping and using the arm cannon at a specific time and it just so happened to make them appear. Had I not, I'd probably have never found them.

The same thing happened to me, if it's who I'm thinking of. That spot comes a lot sooner though, so we can talk about it soon.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Just throwing characters at you. Like, holy crap Tezuka did a lot.

We're nowhere near 100% characters however. Note that there's one for each stat point in the game. They're just all over the place as you go.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hoss Corncave posted:

Aaaaaannnnnd there he is. I'd be willing to bet this was the guy Choco was referring to as well. I got him the first time I ever played this stage, but every time after that, I couldn't find him until I looked up where he was online.

Also, Seven Force is one of the greatest bosses ever.

Yeah, that was the one I mentioned finding entirely by accident, and having a lot of trouble finding later. There's one however I never found until after I had fully beaten the game that will pop up much later on in the LP that I had to use a FAQ for. :argh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hoss Corncave posted:

I think anyone who plays this game will have that problem. As for the other character, this is going to be making me think about who it could be all day. I can think of four characters that can be missed, but only two of them appear later in the game.

Gam, can you possibly do the entire game and screenshot post it all while still doing all those great posts about all the individual characters by tomorrow so I don't have to think about this too long? The game isn't that long, now is it?

Well I want to keep to the spoiler policy of the LP, but I'll give you a hint--it's a non-human character.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

...and now the plot begins to get interesting.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I got Rococo, Circe and Mars on my first playthrough, but in the case of the first two, they make them fairly telegraphed that there's something there out of your way. Mars, I only found because I jumped and the low gravity made the screen start to scroll upwards. The character I needed a faq to find later is also high up in their level, but not in one with high gravity to allow for the automatic screen scroll giveaway :argh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I want to say that this is a spot (either the beginning of the video or the end, my memory's not certain) where the game''s difficulty curve spikes, and even on the easier settings stops really holding your hand at all. The health refills start getting further spaced apart and the baddies start getting more durable. Tanking is no longer a valid strategy, if you haven't figured out how to move yet, you're not making progress.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

hahaha, This is where the plot goes flying straight off the rails (sorry) into crazy town. Also, now the story can really begin proper.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Glazius posted:

...timejacked by chronal slavers from an ancient civilization.

That certainly is a thing that just happened.

You have no idea how weird the plot's about to get.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gamwhiz1 posted:

Only took a month and a half this time, I'm doubling my efficiency!

Actual spoilers now:

I realize I skipped the really hidden one mentioned earlier in the thread, this is on purpose, IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERIN

Yeah, the plot of the game worked greatly for me when I waited until endgame to go back and find him.

I am not sure that that...thing...is the cat, but it definitely has a Clancer face. And I had no idea that was there actually. Regarding other hidden characters like Don Dracula, if you have Astro's sensors cranked all the way up in the stat menu (It only goes up to 4) he'll tell you when there's a hidden character around. Alejo way back at the beginning of the game would be another example where this works. Finally, for those of you confused by the plot now, just wait. It's about to get all kinds of confusing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I totally found Don Dracula on accident too, attacking the rollers for whatever hairbrained thinking I had.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

If only you had some way to travel through time to get everything done quickly... :downs:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

And now--finally--the game can begin proper. While the first "half" of the game is a decent brawler, as all of said, this is where the game abruptly changes and becomes something absolutely special. I assume you, Gamwhiz, intend to move the game chronologically correctly and go through the second loop in normal order, viewing the second story properly (with lots of abridging for redundancy, natch) before you start really exploring the potential of the game, as intended.

This is the point where the game both stops being a straight AB adaptation, yet at the same time really captures the spirit of what Tezuka was trying for with his overall messages. We kinda start moving closer to what he says in his serious books rather than his all ages actioners. Stuff like Phoenix or Buddha start really shining thematically here, even if they don't have direct involvement for the most part.

Over the summer my son discovered this game along side many other older games while he was staying with me (and became a Metroidvania fanatic practically overnight, but I digress). Before he had to leave again for his mom's, he came extremely close to beating the game, but got hung up on a very hard boss, which we'll see much later. I had to help him once we got to the second loop as he didn't care nearly as much about the story as he should have and would often miss important information. Incidentally, Kennyman666's strategy for North does indeed work, because that's what he would use for the first portion of the game--"punch to a block, dash through, and punch the other side".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, because the recent Big 20 Famicom game race included a Three-Eyed-One game, I decided to start investigating Tezuka property video games out there. Believe it or not, there are 2 different games based on the same part of the Phoenix story, the one about the thief that becomes a sculptor, a side scroller for the NES, and a shmup for the MSX2.

I would love to see more about the different games made out of Tezuka's stuff, though I'm sure they're not all great games like this one. Actually the only games in that category I've actually seen all of are this one, the above 3 eyed one game (Matsume Ga Toru) and Blood Will Tell for the PS2, which adapts Dororo, though makes it look "realistic" instead of cartoony. It's a decent game, think along the lines of Devil May Cry or Onimusha. Some of the games I'd never be able to play myself due to being Japanese only, like the Blackjack DS game that's like Trauma Center kinda, or the several flash games on Tezuka's official Japanese webpage.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man, good to see the lp return. Next update we'll really see how much the different attitude towards robots starts taking us...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Glazius posted:

So is the implication that Drake was always doing this but Astro was too naive to notice before?

No, I wouldn't say that at all. In fact, Drake's bigotry towards robots, and the changes it's had on the timeline are about to truly be evident. There's another set of blame to be thrown around, but we haven't gotten to that point yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

What I've seen of Tezuka's more mature content, that's his big trick: lure you in with very cartoony art, then punch you in the gut with super heavy concepts

• Locked thread