Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If I have time later today, I can write up the authorship of the NT books as surveyed by Carrier in On the Historicity of Jesus -- there is a wealth of scholarship cited in his background chapters, especially about the Pauline and Johannine epistles. I found it very interesting as someone with only a lay knowledge of which books are generally considered to be genuine/contested/fraudulent, and where they fall in the timeline. (Carrier's review of extrabiblical source material is particularly exhaustive, but I guess that's a bit outside the scope of this thread.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lot of appeal to authority/popularity there. If you've read it, I'd be interested in a critique.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alright, fair enough. As someone with no vested interest, and a generally historicist viewpoint going in, I'll mention that my mind was thoroughly changed by Carrier's work. Most of the interesting stuff was literature review anyway, such that unless he's straight-up lying or misrepresenting, it's going to be hard to successfully refute. And he does address the scholarly-consensus point directly, early in the text. This is not even to mention that Sheffield-Phoenix is a perfectly decent academic press in the relevant field, and the book passed peer review by these same scholars.

But this obviously isn't the thread for this.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 26, 2014

• Locked thread