Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Mad About Flaws In Good Videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I am leaving work to go home and play with my video games

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

hubris.height posted:

I am leaving work to go home and play with my video games

why aren't you doing something productive instead, on this, the most friday of all nights?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
(mothafuckas)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXWiG2B4zk
i've still never watched this to completion

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Werthog 95 posted:

wheres the gamer version of tlo roll call

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

i like gmes

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

im the guy who thinks that saving zelda counts as 4th base

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoVhdP_yXnc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Widdiful posted:

yeah that's 2nd base at best

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Widdiful posted:

something something 'the implication' I guess

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

you monster

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
I have been sick and stuck in the house so I've been playing risen 3. It is very very very good at being exactly like risen 1 and 2

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

xcom:eu is a quality game and the complete edition is $16.49 on steam currently if for some reason you don't own it yet

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Werthog 95 posted:

is the nasally little poo poo who made this old enough now to watch this and cringe?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BooLoo posted:

I have been sick and stuck in the house so I've been playing risen 3. It is very very very good at being exactly like risen 1 and 2

i got bored with risen very very fast, thank you for this trip report i shall avoid it now

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

PleasingFungus posted:

about ten yosgame threads ago, I wrote a fuckin' essay about how bad the demon's souls magic system was

it was so bad!!!!

why is it bad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i wish i had a good open world bethesda type game to play that i haven't already played to death :(

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

except for "miracles are worthless"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
have you played elder scrolls online yet? :unsmigghh:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wish i had a good open world bethesda type game to play that i haven't already played to death :(

you could explore all of daggerfall :unsmigghh:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

chug mana pots, kill every boss, gg your face off

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

shrine of storms with a bow is a comfortable walk through some attractive landscapes

except for that two swords wielding rear end in a top hat
gently caress him

kinda stuck in dks2 gonna fire up des again :yum:

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

haveblue posted:

shrine of storms :black101:

demons is also more exploitable, mostly because you can stockpile heals and the magic system is totally different
this is what im noticing, i earn 2-3 herb things for every 1 i use

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Silver Alicorn posted:

have you played elder scrolls online yet? :unsmigghh:
im pretty sure no human being has played that game

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Cold on a Cob posted:

when you find it let me know, I'm just killing time until the witcher 3 comes out to be honest although I'm getting kind of a bloated vibe from that now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i just completed "rule the universe" in attack from mars -- the only thing standing between me and the wizard achievement is video mode :doom:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i loving FINALLY beat the video mode and i think i needed like 3 martian bombs or whatever they're called

idk if you saw my post in the grey pinball thread but i've given up on medieval madness, battle for the kingdom can suck my dick

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh wait nope according to this i have not beaten afm video mode, nor have i gotten the billion point hurry up. gently caress THAT poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

oh wait nope according to this i have not beaten afm video mode, nor have i gotten the billion point hurry up. gently caress THAT poo poo

i don't know if this is a bug, but i didn't actually have to hit the center targets to score the billion points. once i had all the hurry-ups started, i immediately got the award

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

i loving FINALLY beat the video mode and i think i needed like 3 martian bombs or whatever they're called

idk if you saw my post in the grey pinball thread but i've given up on medieval madness, battle for the kingdom can suck my dick

your avatar looks really weird in grey forums

:sympathy:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

except for "miracles are worthless"

so demon's souls (like dark souls 1) is basically an exercise in getting from point A to point B. you start at the same spawn point (archstone/bonfire) many times, and each time you try to get further - grab some loot here, open up a shortcut there, slowly making your way forward until you beat the next boss & unlock the next spawn point. (& then you start again.)

magic is pretty powerful in demon's souls, and can pretty trivialize most fights, especially if you specialize. the " " " balancing factor " " " on this is that your MP pool is limited and recharges slowly, so, if you play in the way that was clearly Intended, you can only use magic to a limited extent, to soften up enemies or nuke occasional fights, and need to rely on physical combat (the mechanic that the game revolves around) for most things.

or, you can just nuke an enemy with spells, stand around for a while as your MP recharges, nuke another enemy...

no skill required, extremely tedious, pretty effective.

(this is closely related why the hp regen shield in demon's souls was incredibly megadumb, and why I was sad that it re-appeared in dark souls - though at least it showed up much later in the latter game!)

contrast with how magic works in dark souls - a limited number of uses for the stretch between each bonfire, thus actually creating the gameplay that the designers clearly intended in demon's souls. magic is still not as well designed as melee combat in dark souls, since it doesn't interact with the core melee systems (stamina, essentially) that is so central to the game - but it's at least not egregiously unfun.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
high quality games huh? maybe you should check out the up-and-coming "RodRocket", handcrafted by yours truly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilRZFRBO27s:smugmrgw:

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 22, 2014

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

so basically 'if you play this way its gonna be boring but youl win' in a game where 99% of the ghosts, blood splatters, and noted heroes (or whatever they're called) are melee characters

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Liver Disaster posted:

so basically 'if you play this way its gonna be boring but youl win' in a game where 99% of the ghosts, blood splatters, and noted heroes (or whatever they're called) are melee characters

ya

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

still remember the first time i actually got caught by one of the bell carrying mind flayers
normally i just sneak around behind them and they go down fast boy was i surprised when i got impaled on some sort of mouth spike

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

BooLoo posted:

when you find it let me know, I'm just killing time until the witcher 3 comes out to be honest although I'm getting kind of a bloated vibe from that now.

man i hope witcher 3 is good

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Liver Disaster posted:

still remember the first time i actually got caught by one of the bell carrying mind flayers
normally i just sneak around behind them and they go down fast boy was i surprised when i got impaled on some sort of mouth spike

demon's souls had a really cool aesthetic and none of the other games really matched it.

dark souls was the best mechanically, ds2 is the most preposterously huge (seriously, wtf)

I love them all

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe you should just use the mp restoring items in Demon's Souls???
you can buy them from patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

prefect posted:

i don't know if this is a bug, but i didn't actually have to hit the center targets to score the billion points. once i had all the hurry-ups started, i immediately got the award

yeah the goal is to "start" the hurry up, maybe because starting the hurry up and then failing to get it would be too frustrating

• Locked thread