Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Tony Beet's wife compliments him perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
she has a face shaped like a witch!

Barefoot
Dec 22, 2013
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember them showing the Dodge crew at all last episode.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
The Dodge's are out due to failed contract renegotiations I think.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Zteuer posted:

The Dodge's are out due to failed contract renegotiations I think.

Uh, are you sure you aren't thinking of the Dakota boys? They probably just didn't have enough drama to warrant including over Todd's stupidity.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

ThinkFear posted:

Uh, are you sure you aren't thinking of the Dakota boys? They probably just didn't have enough drama to warrant including over Todd's stupidity.

Oh yeah, I mixed up Dakota and Dodge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PowerBuilder3 posted:

With the giant dredge. So Tony got gold mining rights to a RIVER? Does Canada just not give a gently caress about ripping up the ground anywhere? Or is the Klondike such a poo poo hole nobody cares?

Most of the rivers in that area were dredged to gently caress 100 years ago. https://www.google.ca/maps/@64.0356639,-139.2794385,2249m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

for that dredge to get where it is, it would have dredged it's way in. He probably just got the rights to go back through the tailings. and recover what they couldn't with modern techniques.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I can't believe they've been dragging that wash plant all over the world.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
:lol: at the cutaway to Moonshiners mid-episode. *Todd's excavator breaks down* *Meanwhile, looks like someone else is having a bit of trouble down south.* :rolleyes:

Also, I'm just gonna assume the lack of the Dodges and Dave is due to them being a competent operation, thus leaving Discovery with nothing to show since this program is more about breakdowns and gently caress ups than it is gold mining.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Holy poo poo the Hoffmans are still loving morons. Jack just does whatever he wants while Todd yells at him to quit. Still don't give a gently caress.

What's up with the lack of the Dodges crew?

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004
No Dodges this week because they were burning down distilleries in Kentucky.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I can't help but notice that Parker has a $50,000 truck: http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150-svt-raptor

Edit: And be bought a puppy.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 8, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Parker is spending like a baller.

gently caress Todd. Dakota Fred for life.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
"Try your pockets, it may do better."

Ha!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I found it so hard to believe that Tony Beets doesn't employ an electrician and he's gotta drive 3 hours to replace a 30 amp fuse for his crew :negative:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

This season is suffering badly without the Dakota factor. Also, the new theme and lovely looking 90s title card are a dookie downgrade from that of previous seasons. Shameful

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It's a little illusion shattering to see just how inefficient and ramshackle the Beets Empire actually is up close. The voiceover says it's one of the most successful operations in the Klondike, and back in S2 I got the impression it was going to be something more modern using crazy impressive equipment to squeeze every ounce out and run trained engineers - the difference between a bunch of random people mining wherever like Todd and Parker and an actual legit business. But no, Beets is using cobbled together equipment and kids that don't know how to check electrical boxes and working paycheck to paycheck like the rest of them. Sure, how much of this is played up for the drama of the camera, but it's still a bit surprising to me.

Also, I'm not really sure that flying is the cheapest way for Tony to get around if they're so worried about cash, but I don't know what fuel prices and storage fees are up in Alaska.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

they must be paying Tony a poo poo load to look incompetent for 3 weeks of filming because everything we've been shown of him in previous years is that he's anything but incompetent.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zero One posted:

I can't help but notice that Parker has a $50,000 truck: http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150-svt-raptor

I'm not a betting man. but most likely got it for free. They have been showcasing Ford trucks before, like that one episode where the truck had to pull something over its towing weight limit and it did it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If he got it for promotional reasons I would have hoped all the logos weren't hidden in mud.

But anyway id rather that actually be the case then him buying that truck while claiming he needs every cent to buy his own claim.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Trucks supposed to have mud on them!

Just started catching up and saw the truck totally covered in mud expect the blue ford logo in the back :ssh:.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 9, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I checked out early last season and am not sure I want to watch this season. Did/has anything really interesting happened?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

If you didn't watch last season then I have no idea what you ever could've watched this show for. It was absolutely hilarious.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

wormil posted:

I checked out early last season and am not sure I want to watch this season. Did/has anything really interesting happened?

Watching Tony Beets dismantle an old mining dredge has been a little interesting. Hoffmans are up to the same old poo poo, what a "surprise" that their old crew comes back because GOLD FEVER. Parker continues to set unreasonable goals and yell at his loyal workers. Dave and the Dodge brothers have been conspicuously absent since their first appearance where everything went smoothly without any gently caress ups. I'm guessing they just keep pulling in huge amounts of coarse gold and it makes the other crews look bad.

They've always made a point of Tony showing up to get his cut from Parker. What happened to Todd paying the claim owner 20%? He just showed up to the gold buyer and sold it? There was a pretty big difference between the original weight and after smelting but I don't know how normal that is.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Cpt.Wacky posted:

They've always made a point of Tony showing up to get his cut from Parker. What happened to Todd paying the claim owner 20%? He just showed up to the gold buyer and sold it? There was a pretty big difference between the original weight and after smelting but I don't know how normal that is.

You don't actually think Todd is paying any sort of cut do you? Disco has that covered, only way someone would lease to him. Todd talks about the hit he took with the south america adventure last season, but I read that Discovery actually lost a couple mil on the whole thing. Guess advertising covered that and then some.

And the "loss" in weight is pretty standard. When they give those weight totals, it's for the raw gold. When smelting you lose almost all the oxidizable metals, zinc, etc. And even then the numbers were fudged, figure 20% loss, + the smelter's fee (10% or so) and what he "mined" wasn't even close to worth a 33k check when all was said and done.

However, that being said, you can clearly still see "Todd's" gold sitting on the table after he gets the check, which means they didn't smelt it at all.

Honestly, I was excited to see the Dodges run an actual mining operation, but apparently Disco doesn't think that's interesting enough, and with the Hursts off doing their own show now, I don't even know why I still bother watching. They pull far too many stunts with the story line. Heck, even the whole Parker and the riffles was BS, since he installed them last season for the garnet issue. So they took out the hydraulic riffles, put back in the regular ones, created some drama with Tony and the contract, and put them back in.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Fejsze posted:

You don't actually think Todd is paying any sort of cut do you? Disco has that covered, only way someone would lease to him. Todd talks about the hit he took with the south america adventure last season, but I read that Discovery actually lost a couple mil on the whole thing. Guess advertising covered that and then some.

And the "loss" in weight is pretty standard. When they give those weight totals, it's for the raw gold. When smelting you lose almost all the oxidizable metals, zinc, etc. And even then the numbers were fudged, figure 20% loss, + the smelter's fee (10% or so) and what he "mined" wasn't even close to worth a 33k check when all was said and done.

However, that being said, you can clearly still see "Todd's" gold sitting on the table after he gets the check, which means they didn't smelt it at all.

Honestly, I was excited to see the Dodges run an actual mining operation, but apparently Disco doesn't think that's interesting enough, and with the Hursts off doing their own show now, I don't even know why I still bother watching. They pull far too many stunts with the story line. Heck, even the whole Parker and the riffles was BS, since he installed them last season for the garnet issue. So they took out the hydraulic riffles, put back in the regular ones, created some drama with Tony and the contract, and put them back in.

I rewatched that section of the episode and it just looks like editing magic. He weighed the raw gold, estimated the losses and said it would be 27 oz pure worth about 33k, which looks about right if you figure a 10% smelter fee and the price of gold being just over $1300 for April through May this year. Then they went out to smelt it for dramatic effect.

Did the Dakota Boys get a show of their own or is it just the documentary All The Glitters? Here's an article on why they left according to Fred: http://starcasm.net/archives/281566

Personally, I'm still watching for Tony Beets and the Cheeseman.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Did the Dakota Boys get a show of their own or is it just the documentary All The Glitters? Here's an article on why they left according to Fred: http://starcasm.net/archives/281566

Personally, I'm still watching for Tony Beets and the Cheeseman.
So it's exactly but expected, but now there's the addition of the humiliating compensation figures. AND $12 million for the bungle in some jungle, ahahahahaha. Top flight TV executives.

Also jesus christ that website, lmao. Burn that from your internet history quickly to stomp out the failure

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I can't believe I just watched that happen. Todd is good at some things, that's for sure. This is probably the reason we haven't seen much of the Dodges this season. Dave just payed half a mill to join the Hoffmans

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So after skipping last season I decided to watch a few episodes, skipping Hoffman drama and most of Parker's BS makes it more watchable but I miss the Dakota boys and it needs more Dodge Brothers. Tony playing with the dredge is mildly interesting. They are barely trying to conceal the scripting and staging now. The truck "accident" and stuck trailer scenes were filmed in two locations each and it was jarringly obvious.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The audio editing was SUPER amateurish this episode too. Listen to every single time todd says "3 MILLION". You can repeatedly hear the sloppy clipping all over the place, lol

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Watching now. Is Tood dumb enough to not know to get a rock truck. "How do we move this dirt?" Holy poo poo guys just get a truck. You've got like 8 dudes, you've got the man power. So you need Dave to come in and tell you to get a drat rock truck.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wormil posted:

So after skipping last season I decided to watch a few episodes, skipping Hoffman drama and most of Parker's BS makes it more watchable but I miss the Dakota boys and it needs more Dodge Brothers. Tony playing with the dredge is mildly interesting. They are barely trying to conceal the scripting and staging now. The truck "accident" and stuck trailer scenes were filmed in two locations each and it was jarringly obvious.

Parker's facial hair keeps changing.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Watching now. Is Tood dumb enough to not know to get a rock truck. "How do we move this dirt?" Holy poo poo guys just get a truck. You've got like 8 dudes, you've got the man power. So you need Dave to come in and tell you to get a drat rock truck.

Relax, the entire "story" at the Hoffman's site is scripted in advance now. For example, Dave's buy in was $500k so he clearly just goes to lease a poo poo ton of equipment instead of handing the money over or at least checking with his partners first. And who drove all those vehicles in that arrival shot? Well, of course, it was the other guys on the crew. Everyone knew what was going on but it was played as a surprise reveal for the TV audience.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
There's something crazy beautiful about Todd calling Dave and getting shut down and going down there to beg in person, only to turn the tables and demand half a million dollars for the privilege of working with Todd. The scripting is just coming apart at the seams. It's too bad, too. The concept of gold mining like it was in S1 was mostly entertaining - a bunch of guys by the skin of their teeth trying to get it done. Seeing some legit mining would be fun. Is there any show that's better at that than this? Maybe whatever the Dakota Boys' documentary winds up being?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That Yukon Gold show had almost the same formula but I didn't stick with it long because not enough hilarious failures were transpiring

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Mortanis posted:

Is there any show that's better at that than this? Maybe whatever the Dakota Boys' documentary winds up being?

I quite liked Yukon Gold, but without all the drama it did get pretty repetitive very quick. I'd suggest giving it a shot.

Another fun guilty pleasure gold mining show is Alaska Gold Diggers. It's ridiculous as hell, but only something like a 6 episode season.

All the rest are terrible. Just terrible.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That Yukon Gold show had almost the same formula but I didn't stick with it long because not enough hilarious failures were transpiring

I didn't see all of it, but the episodes I did see they had non-stop failures, but they were also fixed the same day without people screaming and almost killing each other.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Philthy posted:

I didn't see all of it, but the episodes I did see they had non-stop failures, but they were also fixed the same day without people screaming and almost killing each other.

I'm a mining engineer. That's absolutely, 100% normal in a mining operation. We run our equipment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, only stopping for shift change and lunch. poo poo's gonna break under those conditions, even at a legitimate, non-Hoffman run enterprise. The mechanics go out, fix whatever's wrong, and things keep moving.

The Bering Sea shows are by far the least offensive mining shows to me. I get a little itch watching them sometimes, because it really looks like if you're not an alcoholic rear end in a top hat with money problems you should be able to turn a buck doing it. But at the same time, those guys are legitimately loving nuts, and maybe that's what it takes.

I've completely given up on the other gold mining shows though. The last time I watched, it was all stupid bullshit that has nothing to do with the actual premise of the show. The only good parts were the glory hole, but even then it was still stupid. Like with the dredge they got, they used it once and got amazing results. Sure using it again wouldn't yield nearly as much probably, but poo poo, do it once a week at least to pick up anything that's been disturbed lately.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tony Beets is pretty cool joking around with his dudes.

Edit - How many drugs did Harness die of?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Maybe we should have one big alaska thread? Also the edge of alaska conflict is pretty interesting.

• Locked thread