Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Why are there no Dakota Boys in this preview clip.

Oh good they're not in it and it's some total dogshit that's going to make the show less watchable http://tvruckus.com/2014/08/14/gold-rush-star-fred-hurt-not-happy-with-discovery-channel-following-his-departure/

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Philthy posted:

Dakota Boys. They kind of hit the end of their run.
To hear Fred tell it on twitter a while back, the producers were giving them the short end of the funding stick for their most recent season compared to worthless hoffman, so that's what happened there. It's a massive detriment to the show that they've been written out.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Saw the first episode. Plentiful hoffamn schadenfreude, and tweets being part of first-run episodes is unintentionally great because you get to be reminded there are actually people so wretched they respect, admire and look up to Todd, ahahahaha.

The drama they were trying to edit up between Parker and Tony was patently ridiculous, and it ended up making him look like a pissy little bitch who wouldn't stop saying "2000 ounces". I guess the script supervisor forgot to remind him that they had an entire episode last season where the washplant blew out countless gold nugs because of black sand clogs and the one solution was desperately needed hydraulic riffles. Running the same dirt from the same claim. Seems legit to be angry about that guys

Mortanis posted:

Kinda getting annoyed at the set up situations on the show. They just 'happened' to have a camera exactly set up where Parker's truck slid off the road, pointing right at it as it impacts?

I did love how much Todd got shut down early on, though.
Yeah I was laughing my rear end off at the incidental XTREME WIPEOUT CAM™

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Zteuer posted:

That was an interesting first episode of the season. Parker already beat the Hoffmann's entire last season is pretty funny to me. And I'm thrilled to see grandpa is still around, I would watch if this show was just Parker and his family in the Big Nugget Mine like in the end of last season.

I was wondering if they get paid anything from being on TV, does anyone know anything about this and maybe the magnitude of what they get paid? I always think about this whenever they talk about how poor they are and their poor starving families in Oregon.
they almost certainly get paid/subsidized by the producers, and it's literally the only reason the hoffmans have been on TV playing at mining past S1 because they don't make money (except old slumlord Jack) and need extensive handholding.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 20, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

she has a face shaped like a witch!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

This season is suffering badly without the Dakota factor. Also, the new theme and lovely looking 90s title card are a dookie downgrade from that of previous seasons. Shameful

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

If you didn't watch last season then I have no idea what you ever could've watched this show for. It was absolutely hilarious.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Did the Dakota Boys get a show of their own or is it just the documentary All The Glitters? Here's an article on why they left according to Fred: http://starcasm.net/archives/281566

Personally, I'm still watching for Tony Beets and the Cheeseman.
So it's exactly but expected, but now there's the addition of the humiliating compensation figures. AND $12 million for the bungle in some jungle, ahahahahaha. Top flight TV executives.

Also jesus christ that website, lmao. Burn that from your internet history quickly to stomp out the failure

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The audio editing was SUPER amateurish this episode too. Listen to every single time todd says "3 MILLION". You can repeatedly hear the sloppy clipping all over the place, lol

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That Yukon Gold show had almost the same formula but I didn't stick with it long because not enough hilarious failures were transpiring

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The entire show basically takes place out of time because the incredibly vague narration is the only source of information, the dialogue is cut up and pasted as patchwork, and scenes are simply melded together in the editing bay when they aren't explicitly progressive (like Tony deconstructing his giant hunk of junk). Hell, the only time we've seen the producers ever be forced to reveal a date of filming was in the previous episode when they played james harness' death for drama, which ballparks that footage around June 2014.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lmao this GR production company has the worst segment editors I've ever seen. Spend 2/3 the next episode preview about how "TEAM HOFFMAN IS IN DIRE STRAITS" and then in the next sentence say they receive "THE BIGGEST CLEANUP EVER". Well done

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 13, 2015

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I was laughing my rear end off at that uptight claim owner's gasfaces being edited into the triumphant 1000oz celebration, and the bad news continued the guffaws because bad things happening to team hoffman and then being manipulated further by narrative scripting will never cease being a riot.

Hell, even Parker taking his team for granted one more time and then making a narrowminded mission statement that involves blowing his bank on purchasing a marshy shantytown was very unintentionally funny with schadenfreude. :cmon:

This season missing the Dakotas has been like a tremendous gaping chasm in the core of the show. Somehow running the exactly same dredge segment (even more samey than the other team's segments are to each other) for 20 consecutive episodes isn't a barnburner.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 28, 2015

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

haven't they gotten busted for reusing identifiably old jars as props more than once? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Literally everything they ever attempt to portray on this show via talking heads or the narrator is a complete lie & fabrication. There's so much dialogue badly stitched together every single episode that it's a riot, haha.

• Locked thread