Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
William Faulkner

A Fable

So, apparently, the reviews of this book weren't so high, but I'd have to say it's easily my favorite from Faulkner. I've been going through all things Faulkner for a few years now and it was the first book I read more than once. Most people know what his style was, Southern, Absalom, Absalom, many-people-making-one-rug-on-one-loom type of layered stories.

"A Fable" is about World War I and it takes place in France, where a Corporal Stephan somehow gets 3,000 people to not attack from their trenches. It goes on like this, saying something along the lines of "Stop fighting and people stop dying" vs "Who can stop the cogs of war?" It's kind of everything that people wouldn't expect from him, but it was finished in the aftermath of his botched attempt at being a fighter pilot in the war. Well, actually, it was finished well after that, but from what I understand of Faulkner, his failure to fly in the war, teaching his brother to fly, and his brother's death in a flight accident lead to this work.

It's hard to get too much information on it, as it wasn't a popular work of his, but back in 1955, it won a Pulitzer and the National Book Award. It's definitely worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread