Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Elemental resistance is mostly overrated.

I'm just trying to get the minimum to pass Guano Junction, Haunted Pantry, Twin Peak, and maybe shave a little damage off A-Boo Peak. How are people passing those without any pulls? Is there a workaround before you perm a resist skill?

ayn rand hand job posted:

You might want to swap in a jar of psychoses for pixels as well.

How does that work?

sfwarlock posted:

Oh, we're posting logs? Awesome. I missed a three-dayer by a RCH last run, so as soon as I get back home...

Look, brah. SA can only handle so many posts and if you post a log here, that just takes away valuable posting space from FYAD and ADTRW, and we can't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Toshimo posted:

I'm just trying to get the minimum to pass Guano Junction, Haunted Pantry, Twin Peak, and maybe shave a little damage off A-Boo Peak. How are people passing those without any pulls? Is there a workaround before you perm a resist skill?

Buffwise, Astral shell and elemental saucesphere will clear the bat hole

I'd have to check the new formula for the kitchen because I've skipped it in heavy rains.

You might want a game informer subscription as well, that produces a daily resistance potion.

You can get away with A - boo using HP increases as well.

Edit:
The crackpot mystics psychoses jar let's you fight hosts, in a zone with like 3 monsters. Ghosts drop 5 white pixels, easilly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 17, 2014

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

Toshimo posted:

The treasury/harem were part of the stat grind from 5-6. It's one of the two places I tend to get a little stuck (the other is the back half of 8). I think part of it is that I have a reluctance to do the Spookyraven stuff early because (a) I don't really have any resists, so doing the pantry 1 drawer at a time is miserable, and (b) My innate pool skill is low, and even with Chalk, a Cue, and 8 drunk (2 swills), I have to hustle a few times. So, I tend to wait until later when I can use some resist gear in the pantry and can put on a couple of -combat pieces for billiards.

I noticed you are unlocking the island early, maybe consider doing as much of the pirates as you can manage to fill those gaps. You can do everything up to finishing the f'c'le before you even get the macguffin. Are you able to handle any extra +ML? If so pulling a carnivore button or something similar (maybe a hand in glove) will help you avoid those turns grinding. The astral shirt is also a good option, its one of those items you can basically just throw on right at turn 0 and never take off until you break the prism. Also remember to set your radio to 10 if you can manage it, all the extra stats from the ML help quite a bit.

Toshimo posted:

Half a purse tempted me with the +1 stats more than anything, but my intent is to swap it out for the Final Boss shield for the resists. Do you think the light is better than the shield?

You can get stats in other places, and the smithsness gear kind of adds to each other. I think you may be overvaluing resists, at least so early in the run. You can always come back later and do things that need more than one point of resist.

Also, I managed to top a leader board! I would imagine its because people don't do a ton of bad moon runs but I'll still take it.

artoke fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 17, 2014

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Look, brah. SA can only handle so many posts and if you post a log here, that just takes away valuable posting space from FYAD and ADTRW, and we can't have that.

Har. Is there a newer log parser than 3.7.0?

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
I currently don't have a familiar that drops spleen items. I'm told I should get the angry jung man. Could some one explain why? Should I not grab something that drops spleen items better than my wads?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
A friend of mine, Poppy Pirate, just applied. She's good people. Any chance someone could invite her?

Vexrm posted:

I currently don't have a familiar that drops spleen items. I'm told I should get the angry jung man. Could some one explain why? Should I not grab something that drops spleen items better than my wads?

The Jung Man isn't a spleen familiar. The psychoanalytical jars can be used to get to new content and also to speed up runs some by accessing Fear Man's level for white pixels. It's not a bad familiar to have but it's not a spleen familiar.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Seravadon posted:

A friend of mine, Poppy Pirate, just applied. She's good people. Any chance someone could invite her?

The Jung Man isn't a spleen familiar. The psychoanalytical jars can be used to get to new content and also to speed up runs some by accessing Fear Man's level for white pixels. It's not a bad familiar to have but it's not a spleen familiar.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I realize this. Why would I grab him over a spleen familiar. Should I not just grab a spleen familiar since I do not have one?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Vexrm posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I realize this. Why would I grab him over a spleen familiar. Should I not just grab a spleen familiar since I do not have one?

I would go for the spleen familiar over the Jung Man, personally. I get more extra turns out of the spleen items than the Jung Man saves me. (I am not a cutting edge speed ascender though so I may be talking out of my rear end.)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Vexrm posted:

The Angry Jung Man is a fairychaun, so it boosts item drop and meat drop at the same time, and that just generally makes most quests easier. It also drops psychoanalytic jars that unlock additional content, one area of which is very useful in-run for speeding up pixel-hunting for the digital key. It's a good combination of abilities and I use mine a lot.

Spleen familiars are great and you should have one. I wrote a bunch here but deleted it because the tl;dr is: spleen familiars provide added turn generation (better than twinkly wads, and much better than no twinkly wads), and turngen is always a good thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Caught up on clan applications, Grummit still hasn't posted.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Looks like the next Twitch event will be on Saturday September 27th and the theme will be an apocalyptic future.

Also what are people's feelings on Monster Manuel? I know it can be used to help with Heavy Rain "faxing" but other than that is there really any mechanical benefit? I know there are the avatar changing items but that just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I may be a bit of a min-maxer sometimes.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Monster stats have a slight random variance; Mafia and the wiki report the average numbers but Manuel can see the exact stats each time.

Also it lets you get all that data for just-released monsters, though I think you can get that with a tongue depressor too.

It's not much for mechanical benefit; the fun value really is the majority of it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Seravadon posted:

Looks like the next Twitch event will be on Saturday September 27th and the theme will be an apocalyptic future.

To ascend now or not, that is the question...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. This hippie/fratboy war thing and its associated side quests can eat a bag of poo poo-covered hell.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Ugh. This hippie/fratboy war thing and its associated side quests can eat a bag of poo poo-covered hell.

I hate the level 11 quest WAY more than the level 12 quest.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

distactedOne posted:

Monster stats have a slight random variance; Mafia and the wiki report the average numbers but Manuel can see the exact stats each time.

Also it lets you get all that data for just-released monsters, though I think you can get that with a tongue depressor too.

It's not much for mechanical benefit; the fun value really is the majority of it.

Wait, where are those values displayed? On the manuel page in the quest log, the tooltips say approximate. I use a bunch of weird relay scripts, so I might just be missing the Manuel information of its obvious.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

When you're fighting a mob it should show you the exact stat numbers for that mob. It rolls each time you do an encounter so the manuel pages are going to be ranges.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Not_Log posted:

When you're fighting a mob it should show you the exact stat numbers for that mob. It rolls each time you do an encounter so the manuel pages are going to be ranges.

The Manuel shows the mean value, not the range.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

Oh, we're posting logs? Awesome. I missed a three-dayer by a RCH last run, so as soon as I get back home...

4/745, should have been 3/<700.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

sfwarlock posted:

Just ascended after not having played seriously for a year. This was a mistake.

I did this as well (after not playing for like...four years) and I have not been able to get back into the swing of things. Like I can't even remember how to unlock half the areas. :/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

I did this as well (after not playing for like...four years) and I have not been able to get back into the swing of things. Like I can't even remember how to unlock half the areas. :/

Even if you did remember, nearly every single one of them has changed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
White Citadel quest has finally been revamped.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Just revamp each quest that's like the hippie/frat quest and the only way to speed it up is to do the sidequests.

Which are also mini hippie/frat wars.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Have they ever said or hinted what they'll do once they finish revamping old quests, out of curiosity?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Like repairing a highway, when you're finally done fixing the end of the road, the beginning needs work again.

Idunno, has the Bat Cave seen any attention since the beefy bodyguard bats were implemented?

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

IMJack posted:

Like repairing a highway, when you're finally done fixing the end of the road, the beginning needs work again.

Idunno, has the Bat Cave seen any attention since the beefy bodyguard bats were implemented?

Screambats and maybe one other thing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

huggernaut posted:

Screambats and maybe one other thing

They updated the art and added screambats.

Beefy bodyguard bats have been there since NS11.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

The white citadel revamp may make kittycore easier. If you get your cat turned into a pig, it can't hurt you anymore.

Unless having a pig invalidates the entire unlock, which would make that a pain.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Applied in game under "Angelique Duchemin"

The Anime Turnpike
Dec 30, 2010

Since I came back I've done like 5 HC AoB runs and in 2 of them The Luter's quest has bugged out. It's so weird how it's specifically that one, so I can't get day one steel lasagna because I don't have enough item drop.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fitzwilliam Lacho posted:

Since I came back I've done like 5 HC AoB runs and in 2 of them The Luter's quest has bugged out. It's so weird how it's specifically that one, so I can't get day one steel lasagna because I don't have enough item drop.

How has it bugged out?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kelzhar just applied to the clan and would just love to be accepted.

(it's me)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't know if it was mentioned, but the Black Market portion of the MacGuffin quest has changed slightly as well. Disregard, maybe I just can't remember poo poo.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
The Black Forest changed a few month ago, yes.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Could some one give me a newbs guide to twitch events? The forums and the wiki are less than helpful here.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Vexrm posted:

Could some one give me a newbs guide to twitch events? The forums and the wiki are less than helpful here.

Once a month for the past few months, the devs have hosted a stream on Twitch.tv. During the stream they open up the Twitching Time Tower in town and add a new zone or two worth of content to it. During the stream they have a vote to choose which monsters to create, and usually a bunch of informal throw-it-out-there polls of the Twitch chat for item & joke suggestions. You're watching Jick implement the content within his admin tools, and draw the new art. You're also squinting at his admin page to see if there's any spoilers he forgot to hide.

The time-twitching toolbelt can be bought from Mr. Store while the tower is open. Wearing it makes it easier to get the event coin, the Chroner. They also try to do some kind of competition between two player teams, the Time Bandits and the Time Lords, and if you haven't joined one you can do so in the Phone Booth in the tower during the event. The competition for the last event kinda didn't happen, though, so maybe that's played out.

After the stream, the tower stays open for the rest of the day and the entire next day.

Watch the stream if you want to see the sausage getting made and maybe have some small amount of input into new content. Otherwise just enjoy the tower for the two days that it's open.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vexrm posted:

Right now there's 3 levels to the tower:

You'll periodically get Chroner from adventurng, but each floor has a special mechanic for increasing your yield.

The time twitching toolbelt will also periodically spit out special potions in addition to the item drop bonus. It also has a bonus effect per floor.

Floor 1 - Caveman times
Chroner mechanic - Every 20 turns, you get a choice adventure to fight a special monster, get a time capsule or work on unlocking Caveman Dan. The former two choices give extra Chroner.
Toolbelt - Time capsule spits out a potion or a nice rollover accessory in addition to chroners.

Floor 2 - 1920s
Chroner - Hooch. You can sell hooch to the shopkeeper for Chroner. Monsters drop hooch after battle. Hooch carrying capacity is dependent on your equipment. You can also convert cocktail onions or unload tommy guns to get more hooch depending on the zone.
Belt - Hooch drops from fights are occasionally increased.

Floor 3 - Roman times
Chroner - You can bet on races.
Belt - One of the monsters drops 3 chroner, but drops 5 with the belt.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Is it worth getting the belt?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I kinda want the rock, but the 35 Muscle requirement makes me a little sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

IMJack posted:

They also try to do some kind of competition between two player teams, the Time Bandits and the Time Lords, and if you haven't joined one you can do so in the Phone Booth in the tower during the event. The competition for the last event kinda didn't happen, though, so maybe that's played out.

This mechanic kind of made me sad and I'm glad they didn't do it last time. That's just me being a heart, though.