Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Could I get back in the clan? I left to be cagebait for some folks but forgot to get whitelisted first, oops.

Applied as Deetviper - and getting whitelisted would be nice if possible. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I’ve been playing around with bastille battalion, and I’ve been trying to spade the combat and attack/defense values based on the descriptive text and the enemy castle, but results are so inconsistent.
There are times when I have the same landscape, birds, wind, and enemy castle and choosing the same combat choice will have different results.

Does anyone else have the bastille battalion? If so, have you noticed any sort of pattern or consistency with it?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

There's some variance with each new castle setup, and of course your values increase and decrease within a certain range, it seems like. So even if you think you'll win two out of three, you might not.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Bastille Battalion sucks balls and I regret using it. The terriblest IOTM in a long time.

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

I just use Ezandora's script to get me the rewards I want and ignore it from then on. I played the mini game once or twice but I'm not that interested. I like the item in an ascension context, starting a run at level 4 with an awesome accessory and an ok buff is pretty great, especially now that the neverending party is around.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

I think I’ve made some progress in piecing together the mini-game for Bastille Battalion.

I don’t think that any of the descriptive text has anything to do with your attack or defense values. Your initial values are entirely based on how you set up all your dials and poo poo before starting, and if you used any of the bonus potions.
Each of the enemy castles has their own attack and defense values. When you attack, you need 2 out of 3 of your attacks to be higher than their corresponding defense. When you defend, you need 2 out of 3 of your defenses to be higher than their corresponding attacks. So depending on how you have your dials, when facing a certain opponent, it is always in your advantage to stick with the same strategy.

However, their attack and defense values increase as you proceed through the mini-game. Attacking may always work in the first 2 face-offs for the same opponent, but then if you face them 3rd, you may lose when you attack. The key seems to be identifying what enemy is strong where and increasing your offense/defense accordingly before facing off.

If you want to look for cheese, if you know your opponents strength/weaknesses, you can pretty much always win the first 2-3 face offs. After that, it gets a bit riskier, because the opponent may be too strong to beat unless you focus on improvement.

There are two mechanics I still have no clue about:
How biding your time works.
What causes you to sometimes defend when you choose attack, or attack when you choose defend. It seems to happen more against specific opponents, but I am thinking that it has something to do with the descriptive text at each round.

I think I have put way too much thought into this.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The description text hints at what attacks and defenses the castles have. I haven't read the official spading thread, but maybe check it out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I haven't played this in like, 8 years I think? But I randomly rememebered it existed and decided to pick it back up again. There's a lot of poo poo in the game now that I haven't seen before. :stare:

Applied to the clan as AlexandraVandar.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

There have been a lot of changes in the last 8 years. Probably too many to list here. All I'll say is that I still have fun with it and find things I've never done.

Speaking of things I've never done, I've been going after Slime Tube items and I just beat Mother Slime yesterday. Can we get a new instance opened up? I'll pay the meat to open it. Not sure if it requires a straight meat donation or stacks.

Rinn
Apr 11, 2007
Too Slow!
College Slice

SnotGrumble posted:

There have been a lot of changes in the last 8 years. Probably too many to list here. All I'll say is that I still have fun with it and find things I've never done.

Speaking of things I've never done, I've been going after Slime Tube items and I just beat Mother Slime yesterday. Can we get a new instance opened up? I'll pay the meat to open it. Not sure if it requires a straight meat donation or stacks.

I reopened it. In the future you'll get a quicker response in the discord.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Finally got Olefaction. While I got to do the sea, get a telescope, and finish the Neverending Party quests while doing it, I still can't help but feel that having stopping playing the game for two months being the fastest way to get such a powerful skill isn't ideal.

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

Finally got Olefaction. While I got to do the sea, get a telescope, and finish the Neverending Party quests while doing it, I still can't help but feel that having stopping playing the game for two months being the fastest way to get such a powerful skill isn't ideal.

The olfaction grind doesn't feel great, even after they made it better a few years ago. It is a bit awkward because it is a very powerful skill so I can understand wanting some grind to unlock it, but even if it was given for free after like 10 ascensions or whatever I wouldn't be mad. Do people even bother getting the hound dog anymore? I figure there are better item familiars out there and the +combat probably isn't that useful in most situations. I finished my bounty hunting pre-nerf, and all I got was a lame name for my hound, (300) days of lucre.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The entire reason you run it is for +combat, which is ~optimal~ in a tiny handful of places and is otherwise impossible to get from that slot.

But yeah, it's not worth going out of your way for any more. Just grab a bounty when you're going to be adventuring in that area anyway, and maybe you'll get it eventually.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Does anyone still play softcore standard, or is it all challenge paths? I'm doing my usual November loop to get the yearly items and I'm finding out that

1: Combat is rough. If I put ML up to 30-40, I'm having a hard-rear end time with scripts and have to manually run it - and usually pull out a spell to finish. Never mind the couple times in run when you want to pump it way higher. Does anyone have a script to share? (or a set of six, given...)

2: I really really miss spleen for turngen, esp astral energy drinks. I'm putting up PB numbers for turncount, but to generate those turns within two days, I'm eating a spice melange every run, which I was not doing last year. Food and drink are coming from terminal and witchess, which are EPIC quality.

3: Standard is going to suck in January, with Witchess and the Intergnat and the Terminal and the Time-Spinner and the tot all going away. (And theprotonic backpack, holy crap.)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
poo poo, I'm gonna miss my Ghostbuster backpack

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Advent calendar is up.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Just applied to the clan as “Dhof”.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

CRIMBO TIME

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Brained some reindeer today, got a new puppy and a hat.

Findings are being documented here. Full of spoilers if you care:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cE5fD4soN_8zacqbtTPO33J87I6LLM6wMqSayDtO110/edit#gid=0

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there an easier way to gather these dumb elves? I'm lazy. :v:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Manuel Calavera posted:

I think you can only find one elf per zone, unless elves return to zones you've checked on rollover. What I did was load up on +combat and spend 15 turns in a zone before checking if my counter had gone up. If it did I went to a different zone, if it didn't I ran another 5 turns and checked again.

Would be nice if Mafia added elf-finding as a goal.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 21, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was the thing I was wondering, about mafia. Like I said, I'm exceedingly lazy when it comes to KoL lately. What with my constant just meat farming and near 1bil now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Manuel Calavera posted:

Generally if your doggo freaks out after adventure 1 in a new zone, an elf is 10 advs total away, so take 9 more. If he catches kind of a trail, take 19 more. If he just shrugs or eats a hot dog, either there's no elf in that zone or you already found one.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uuughh, I guess I'm doing that then. It works.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Out of all the yearly Crimbo grinds this one feels like the worst. I do like the free dog though!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
It didn't seem that bad. I wasn't very efficient about it but I got to 30. Now it's just fighting monsters with this toy-blaster equipped.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

They don't really explain it, but stack your elemental resistances when you're gathering the toys. Every so often you'll get a chance to get way more toys depending on your resistance levels.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trivial Updates posted:

December 31 - The abridged dictionary has been removed from Barrrtleby's Barrrgain Books. We'll figure out somewhere harmless to stuff it later.
December 31 - The Talisman o' Nam can no longer be obtained from the pirates. Sorry. It's time.
December 31 - A couple of important quest monsters can no longer be copied. Nerf nerf nerf.
December 31 - Some very old potions have been converted to spleen items. Look forward to more of this kind of thing in the coming weeks.

Hmm...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You mean I finally have to learn how to do the Copperhead stuff?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be like me and never ascend. I have nearly 900mil meat now jesus.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

So no reason to ever unlock pirates again, gotcha.

e: Shen's sucks and is annoying. Yay.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

West of Loathing has a DLC now. It's pretty neat

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Is the DLC independent, or continue from a previous save game?

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

You continue from a previous save file

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

West of Loathing has a DLC now. It's pretty neat

I failed to get the best ending! :argh:

Time to start a new character and try again, I guess. I just wish the spiders at the start weren't so drat tough.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

prefect posted:

I failed to get the best ending! :argh:

Time to start a new character and try again, I guess. I just wish the spiders at the start weren't so drat tough.

You don't have to fight any of the spiders! I mean, it makes it more of a pain to get around, but you can get to the remaining cellar rooms via the hedge maze.

The above also makes a Hard Hat run much easier--by starting with the DLC best ending, I finally knocked out a one-day run without ever taking a stack of Angry.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Max Peck posted:

You don't have to fight any of the spiders! I mean, it makes it more of a pain to get around, but you can get to the remaining cellar rooms via the hedge maze.

The above also makes a Hard Hat run much easier--by starting with the DLC best ending, I finally knocked out a one-day run without ever taking a stack of Angry.

:doh:

(Also, they seem to have made the spiders much less brutal in yesterday's patch.)

What's the DLC best ending, anyway? I have a theory or two, but I haven't gotten through a third run yet.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
The carriage to the DLC is supposed to be in Dirtwater, right? Do you have to rest before it will show up?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

prefect posted:

What's the DLC best ending, anyway? I have a theory or two, but I haven't gotten through a third run yet.

Deal with all the ghosts nonlethally, then ring BOO on the bells in the attic instead of fighting Chet Bullet yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Deal with all the ghosts nonlethally, then ring BOO on the bells in the attic instead of fighting Chet Bullet yourself

That was not what I was expecting. I didn't play with the bells enough -- I thought they just had normal musical note/letters.