Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
If you don’t like Bojack The Horseman at it’s worse you don’t deserve it at it’s best. :colbert:

:irony:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AceOfFlames posted:

The ending of The Good Place was loving perfect.

This is correct.

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I ugly cried for half an hour and it was glorious.

My spouse and I were physically unable to get up off the couch for like an hour, we kept trying to talk about it while sobbing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

The The Good Place's ending was really good. Not even sure what there is to object to :shrug:

The ending itself was good but the last season leading up to it is by far the weakest part of the show.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

the holy poopacy posted:

The ending itself was good but the last season leading up to it is by far the weakest part of the show.

I think it worked well except for those awkward episodes setting up the finale, it feels like they should've taken a bit longer to set that up or went with a different conclusion, but still, it was pretty good. If anything S3 is the one I found hard to finish, seemed like they were spinning their wheels there for a while.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Post 9-11 Windows posted:

If you don’t like Bojack The Horseman at it’s worse you don’t deserve it at it’s best. :colbert:

:irony:

:horsedrugs:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

I think it worked well except for those awkward episodes setting up the finale, it feels like they should've taken a bit longer to set that up or went with a different conclusion, but still, it was pretty good. If anything S3 is the one I found hard to finish, seemed like they were spinning their wheels there for a while.

For me I think the show was mostly just a long, gradual decline from the peak of the S1 finale (which was incredible, so I mean, it still goes pretty strong for most of the rest of the run), only really substantially righting itself at the very end.

But this is getting off topic; the point is, I don't think a show that starts out mediocre is somehow more likely to be good later than a show that's good from the start.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I don’t think The Good Place is a good example of “strong start, hard slump”, the pacing of that show was just relentless and it had a lot of great stuff throughout. Community is like the first show I think of for that whole concept.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Regalingualius posted:

Though then you miss out on stuff like “get the gently caress out of my house” for context on why Herb’s funeral is especially awkward for Bojack

Trust me, I get this. The Telescope and Downer Ending are two of my personal favorite episodes.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I wasn't suggesting to skip the first few episodes, but that many people will need a disclaimer to push through them. I did. In 2014 I attempted to watch and turned off the first episode after about 10 minutes, deciding it was another low effort "edgy" adult sitcom and not worth my time. I didn't give it another shot until after season 2 premiered in 2015 and I was seeing lots of critical acclaim for it. I've also had to convince a few friends to keep watching, which they did and eventually did love the show.

In similar vein, The Office and Parks and Rec also need this disclaimer for new viewers as their first seasons are bad, though with The Office you can pretty much skip season 1 entirely and not even lose any plot development.

Yeah, like I'm not telling people "google a synopsis of S1" because I don't think it's good or important, I'm telling them this because I have been recommending this show to people who I know would like it for years, and a large majority don't make it past the first few episodes before deciding "meh, not for me". And in many cases, those same people picked up the show from S2E1 like I said, and then went back and watched S1 on their own accord once they realized how good the show is.

I usually link people to this image after they tell me "eh I watched a season of Bojack and didn't like it that much". Which again, I have heard plenty of times.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how do you go through the whole season, get to Downer Ending, and then decide the show isn't good? then again, if they just aren't enjoying it at least they gave it a shot

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murmur Twin posted:

Trust me, I get this. The Telescope and Downer Ending are two of my personal favorite episodes.

Yeah, like I'm not telling people "google a synopsis of S1" because I don't think it's good or important, I'm telling them this because I have been recommending this show to people who I know would like it for years, and a large majority don't make it past the first few episodes before deciding "meh, not for me". And in many cases, those same people picked up the show from S2E1 like I said, and then went back and watched S1 on their own accord once they realized how good the show is.

I usually link people to this image after they tell me "eh I watched a season of Bojack and didn't like it that much". Which again, I have heard plenty of times.

Those S1 reviews were also done off of 3-6 episodes (I forget how much they put in the advance screener, but it was no more than 6) and led to a lot of sites changing their policies of reviewing tv seasons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Netflix and RBW didn’t want the reviews to come out and be like “this show is an adult cartoon about DEPRESSION AND ABUSE!” and honestly I still think that was the correct move. Letting that stuff slowly start to surface had way more of an impact on me as an early adopter than if I’d gone in knowing “oh hey this silly horse cartoon is about to subvert my expectations!”

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bust Rodd posted:

Netflix and RBW didn’t want the reviews to come out and be like “this show is an adult cartoon about DEPRESSION AND ABUSE!” and honestly I still think that was the correct move. Letting that stuff slowly start to surface had way more of an impact on me as an early adopter than if I’d gone in knowing “oh hey this silly horse cartoon is about to subvert my expectations!”

I definitely agree the slowly-surfacing is cool, but I for one started watching the show because I heard it was actually about serious stuff like depression and abuse :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bifauxnen posted:

I definitely agree the slowly-surfacing is cool, but I for one started watching the show because I heard it was actually about serious stuff like depression and abuse :v:

Well yeah, once all of Season 1 was out, Princess Caroline was fully out of the bag, and by Season 2 it was well in its way to be the established cultural phenomenon it was destined to be.

Bojack isn’t just a great story, I think the show also functions as a perfect time capsule of the 2010s, precisely the same way it has those cutely specific time capsule episodes. It’ll be a real trip to rewatch the show in 2024.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I watched it all on release day so I had no idea what the hell I was in for.

I had an email that there was a new show I might be interested in. I thought the premise was dumb but watched it because the cast was good, ended up liking it after episode 2 and then quickly ended up in full on :aaa: territory.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We also watched it when it first aired with no clue what we were in for. We just saw that it was animated and we like Will Arnett, Amy Sedaris, Paul F. Tompkins, etc.

EDIT: Also, what the hell was winning the years that Bojack was denied?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Corky the IX posted:

We also watched it when it first aired with no clue what we were in for. We just saw that it was animated and we like Will Arnett, Amy Sedaris, Paul F. Tompkins, etc.

I wasn't hooked by the first episode, but there was enough world building that made me want to give it a few more episodes, and then I stuck through till the end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The first episode was definitely a “it has potential but eh” thing for me, but I gave it another few episodes to grab me because how often is the first episode of a comedy any good? Then episode two had Keith Olbermann say “that’s what happens when you steal a meal from Neal McBeal the Navy Seal” and I was losing it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

EDIT: Also, what the hell was winning the years that Bojack was denied?

Assuming you mean the Emmy, there was the infamous time some random episode of The Simpsons inexplicably beat both "Free Churro" and "Come Along With Me" from Adventure Time for the Emmy. It's probably the Crash/Green Book of animation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m an Arrested Development devotee and I’m 2014 I would watch absolutely anything with Will Arnett in it. I was immediately hooked.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember seeing the original promo poster for BoJack posted back in the day and everyone was like "WTF, this is going to be terrible!"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember seeing the original promo poster for BoJack posted back in the day and everyone was like "WTF, this is going to be terrible!"

They (probably Netflix) were also very, very bad at marketing the show all the way up until season 4 or 5. Every trailer or teaser made it look like the worst of the worst edgy, crass adult animation.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Watched the first two episodes.

I really like the opening. What a great way to introduce us to Bojack as a character. The TV host asking him what he's been up to in the last 18 years and him having no answer is a fantastic joke.

Gotta say, though, it got hard to take his side for most of the rest of the episodes. He's just unpleasant. I can see why people would drop off the show. I understand that it's necessary to drive home the point "this guy really is that toxic" but still.

Even so, there were some gems. I liked his little discourse to the navy seal at the end of episode 2. Princess Caroline and Todd were on point. Diane... Is it off to call her promising, considering I know she'll deliver on the promises already?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diane is a really unique character and I can’t really think of another woman on TV who goes on this same kind of journey as her. She’s never perfect.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Gotta say, though, it got hard to take his side for most of the rest of the episodes.

I've got good news about your mental health

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sentient Data posted:

one of my very favourite rainy afternoon activities is going back to the earlier seasons itt and reading the reactions. very much a mirror of a show, how people reacted was imo enormously revealing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Jesus, I wish you did. Part of the reason I was so into BH when I first found out about it is that I too was depressed, and it was good to see media that actually tackled that.

I wish I had gotten ridden of this sickness already.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the early seasons of the show not trying to force onto a side regarding Bojack is one of its biggest strengths.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing that Bojack really nails is the way that your toxic personality can evolve and form itself over the course of years and years of surrounding yourself with enablers until eventually everyone in your life has a story of you taking advantage them and they are fed up and you have no one left to support you.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Great resolution for Diane's character to escape toxicity and political over-engagement by writing YA lit. Let the healing commence.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

pospysyl posted:

Great resolution for Diane's character to escape toxicity and political over-engagement by writing YA lit. Let the healing commence.

I would definitely prefer to read “Ivy Tran, Food Court Detective” over her Bojack biography.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but I’m imagining the fights that Diane would get into with other YA authors on Twitter and she’d go so LA on their asses it wouldn’t even be fair.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

pospysyl posted:

The end of her arc hit me like a ton of bricks. I too had a miserable childhood and latched onto the fantasy that I would one day change the world to cope with it. Unlike Diane, however, I still cannot let go. The realization that all your pain was for nothing is hard.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Took me four tries to watch episode four, simply because I keep expecting that tthe episode will show WAY too much of Todd's rock opera and it sounds so unpleasant to me. In the end I decided to skip it, and it turns out it's rather short. Ah well.

In other news, it's so obvious how Bojack is pushing for this in hindsight. There's a lot of hints, a lot of stuff that I'm not sure I picked up on as "this is an hint that Bojack is sanbagging Todd" but I for sure picked up as "something's up with Bojack".

Show good. Horse bad.

e: Diane's ex-boyfriend with bowtie and close-minded attitude towards people's roles based on Mr. Peanutbutter's show's characters, also bad.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: Diane's ex-boyfriend with bowtie and close-minded attitude towards people's roles based on Mr. Peanutbutter's show's characters, also bad.

That's such a Zelda thing to say

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That Rock Opera is actually a very important event in Bojack's story

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

The end of her arc hit me like a ton of bricks. I too had a miserable childhood and latched onto the fantasy that I would one day change the world to cope with it. Unlike Diane, however, I still cannot let go. The realization that all your pain was for nothing is hard.
*hugs*

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This seems worth a bump:

https://twitter.com/RaphaelBW/status/1542151169300221958

Send Raphael Bob-Waksberg your proof of donation to an abortion fund, and go in the draw for one of 5 signed Bojack scripts!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Beating this horse of a thread back to life so we can talk about season 3 of Tuca and Bertie. It's three episodes into the new season and I'm enjoying it. A lot of good character development already.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yes, Berties coworker is a virtuoso. Imagine if you could be the first to come up with such an idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1587911785117384704