Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Holy poo poo Downer Ending was an amazing episode that paid off for the entire preceding episodes.

edit "20 pages of Dr. Who erotic fanfiction, a recipe for soup, 5 theories about how 9/11 happened and a bunch of youtube clips that can't be published in book form"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I laughed way too hard at the Halloween floor gag. They got way more mileage out of that joke then I expected.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I was laughing my rear end off at the gun shaped lighter...or lighter shaped gun . I will agree that ending was super bleak.

The line right after it was perfect. "Then what did I give to that baby?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really liked that they didn't go the predictable route with Vincent Adultman. It'd be so easy to reveal that he's three kids, or that he's just a weird guy with a deformity, but instead they just keep going with him.

He's a really good listener.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

We are up to episode 10, was it ever mentioned earlier in the series how old he was? I was genuinely surprised when he suddenly admitted he was 50.

20 years after being a successful sitcom dad on a show for 9 years? Minimum mid 40s.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, individually its oddly structured for sure...

- Taken on their own episodes 1-4 are fairly standalone.
- Episodes 5 and 6 you see the arc start to take hold.
- Episodes 7-11are amazing with Downer Ending being the best of the season. Although I wish it had cut to black without the last line..
- In a way episode 12 feels a little out of place especially after Downer Ending, but...

...then you take a step back and its actually a fairly standard story arc and everything fits perfectly and you really can't skip any of it or move any of it out of place.

I'm glad that the intro and world building done in the first episode were strong enough to keep me watching the next 4 episodes.

Episode 12 gave us the perfect Vince Adultman C plot, and Bojack carried around his Golden Globe for the entire episode.

Also the unbelievable hilarious floor gag for the Halloween store.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hcreight posted:

I was watching Olberman's ESPN show this week for NFL shaming purposes and he's been hyping Bojack on the show apparently. :unsmith:

What do you expect from that guy who enthusiastically agreed to play a "Olberman-like whale news anchor"?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
My god, Escape from L.A was soul-crushing. I get now why people were whining and moaning about the show not being as funny as season 1, but the end result is a much better show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

The writers can make whatever story they want but they have told us there will be no punishment many times. No one is going to turn on him.

Harvey Weinstein is already back to showing up to young actor events with an entourage of young women and getting outspoken women kicked out for attacking him about being there.

What's going to happen if anything is Bojack expects punishment and some kind of consequence but finds the world doesn't really care and aside from his sister and maybe Diane very few people will care at all. There won't be some magical moment where everything is made right or better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

luxury handset posted:

personally i don't think mr. pb is depressed because i don't think he can be depressed, he operates on such an emotionally superficial level that he can't linger on guilt or self-criticism for long, and if he's not making himself depressed with self-destructive cognitive processes and there's no indication he has messed up brain chemicals then he's just sort of immune to depression

i think the choice to make him a yellow lab was a deliberate comment on his character. he's just relentlessly cheery, which is its own kind of hell because it prevents him from forming deep relationships as he can't really understand and process other people's problems. his own coping mechanisms for problems which would allow him to empathize are underdeveloped behind his own thick hide of happiness, and his career which insulates him from struggle. he has moments of non-happy emotions but his baseline state reverts to a place of joy once the immediate crisis is dealt with. i don't think pb is dumb or emotionally crippled, but i do think he's stuck in a certain mindset of luck and privilege that is a foil to bojack's life of self-hatred and unresolved childhood trauma

Is there like a reverse aspergers/depression where someone is just always cheerful and doesn't quite understand why other people aren't happy?

It really seems like Mr PB is incapable of empathy which for any relationship would be a major limitation for long term success.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So what is the story of Bojack Horseman? From season 1 all the way to the end? A tale of a manchild wealthly and powerful enough to abuse everyone in his life to a point of absurdity and engage in his addictions without serious consequence? His end is not one of hope or change, and in fact he's not getting off free but he's still okay in Hollywood?

6 seasons through it all it always seems that just maybe there was hope for him and it's possible to come back from your mistakes and major gently caress ups but in the end no matter what he said or felt or did, he felt his actions were always excused away for whatever convenient reason at the time.

And if we're going for worst thing cumulatively, his treatment of Todd has to be top 5. Someone who loved and admired him just put up with his relentless abuse for years before finally realizing that he was almost insignificant to Bojack in that grand scheme.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Are people actually suggesting that he is dead in the final episode as an intended thing from the show creators or are they just saying 'my headcannon is...' because they think the story would've been better if he died for whatever reason?

I'm not seeing anybody say that poo poo in the thread so I'm assuming you all are just mad about twitter or something.

All these alternate readings sound very much like a "i am so smart" from people who want to claim they understood it on a deeper level then all the other joe average viewers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can we get a thread title change to include Tuca and Bertie? Unless that show gets its own thread which I don't think it did before.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't think "GOAT" for animation is a valid category. You can't be comparing Batman TAS, ATLA, Daria, Bojack, Cowboy Bebop against each other and have it make any sense. Two of them were "kids" shows, one was for the MTV teens, another was a sci-fi anime, and we all know Bojack.

As far as "never winning an emmy" that puts it in the same pantheon as The Wire. I'm sure in 10 years people will talk up Bojack as one of the greatest shows ever and the fact its animated will be a minor detail. There's not much else that brilliantly written that combined some of the zaniest humor with some of the darkest aspects of life.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 21, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Things competing that ought not be compared is why a comedy will never win best picture.

I mean, there are a lot of other reasons. Green Book and Crash winning best picture are the glaringly obvious ones.

Speaking of Green Book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_96bgvIDlM

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tuca and Bertie was like the ADHD artistic cousin of Bojack, so you get a ton of wacky bits and then just absolute jaw dropping incredible moments.

Definitely better then a good 1/2 of Bojack for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Tuca not being that funny seemed like it was part of the point, there was a whole arc about her wacky antics being a deeply dysfunctional coping mechanism born out of trauma

when a male horse acts out in an insane wacky manner as their coping method, its deep and meaningful

when a female bird does it, it's just some agenda the writers had