Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Even though I'm probably a judge, I'm gonna throw in my hat for an essay that just won't be in the running to win:
Username: axleblaze
Move: Gremlins 2: the New Batch
Subtext: 9/11 was an inside job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Aw, Gremlins 2 got matched with the subtext I gave it. That's no fun (especially because I stole that combo from some internet videos I saw). The Raid one also seems particularly hard because I don't think there's one whole woman in that movie.

Also I'm not sure if the one I got is really easy or really hard.

Anyways, as a judge I do want to reiterate that just pretend you're taking it seriously. The one's that annoyed me the most last time were ones that just sort of didn't try to make any connection and just made it a bad parody of this type of analysis. That isn't to say you shouldn't have a sense of humor about it, just attempt to make some sort of believer out of me.

Also if it's over like ten pages (more realistically five) don't blame me if it seems I didn't read your essay that closely.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hbomberguy posted:

I haven't seen Gremlins 2 in a long time but it came out before 9/11 and had scenes in a big tower, right?

Okay, time to pull a Shining and claim Joe Dante knew the plan and tried to warn people.

I posted about it in gen chat, but the reason I submitted those two wacky things (which I thought would get randomized) was that I found on youtube a guy claiming that Gremlins 2 was the Illuminati Jews in Hollywood telling people that they were gonna do 9/11 in 11 year. His entire reasoning behind this was: a) the address of the building the movie was filmed at supposedly had Illuminati significance, b) the building sort of looks like the world trade center, c) there is a sound of an airplane flying by at one point in the movie, d) there's a shot where reported from channel 9 and channel 11 put their mike's next to each other, e) There's a song on the soundtrack called "bombers in the sky" by a group called the Thompsons TWINs and it's right next to the song "New York, New York", F) There are some TWIN actors from Terminator 2 which is apparently also about 9/11 and E) JEWS.

You have to try and be more coherent than that without being anti-Semitic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It might just be me that's delaying things at this point. I'll try to get it done as soon as possible but I've had a bunch of poo poo crop up lately.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The entries were pretty good overall this year with nothing I thought was outright bad. Most points were taken off for minor grievances and things that annoy me personally. If you want to know what I thought of your individual essays, just ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VROOM VROOM posted:

I think it's only appropriate to ask about mine, given your avatar. My thoughts: argumentation is solid but leans a lot on the assumption that the reader has seen the film, with lots of ambiguous (as in, having multiple possible readings) language meant to apply both to the film and the topic, as well as implied references to specific shots. (I knew I wanted to include one screenshot at the end - the motorcyclist staring out over the snow was a close second, but the final shot was too perfect in how it closed out both the film and the essay) How many of you guys had seen it?

As has been mentioned you did a surprisingly good job making this seem like a likely subtext and the mention of the last shot alone was brilliant. You just lost a small buit because I felt you were missing a "why". I never got a sense as to why I would make it about cocaine, just that it worked oddly well if you did that.

Cakebaker posted:

I'm all for feedback. Personally I think mine got less and less focused the longer it went, with no real finish. I got a bit too invested in the Swedish election which took place the same day as the deadline, so I found myself not having a lot of time for it at the end. I also did try to warp the subtext more to fit the movie than the other way around.

Yours mainly lost points mainly for logicial leaps without explanations. Sometimes your ideas were presented and I was expected to make what to you was an obvious connection and that sort of thing feels like cheating. You did have a very hard topic and you actually did a pretty good job being convincing that this might be a subtext, even without the logical leaps. Overall I thought it was very good but needed a bit more fleshing out.

Hbomberguy posted:

edit: Also I'd like to fight Axleblaze in Skullgirls

I forgot to say this in genchat, but I only have it on PSN. Sorry.

Hibernator posted:

Yeah I'd like to hear your thoughts, Axleblaze.

With yours I gave you extra points just for working with such a hard topic but even then it was a bit of a stretch and I just wasn't fully convinced. It had to much stuff that I was supposed to accept without any real reason other than it was the topic of the essay. You did your best with a really hard topic though.

• Locked thread