Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Welcome to the 4th annual SUBTEXT GAME!
The game where you write an essay about a random movie with a random subtext.

The rules are simple.

When you sign up you post in the thread with...
1. Your username (Just in case you change it etc)
2. A movie
3. A subtext

And you are agreeing to write an essay when you sign up, so please keep that in mind.

After everyone is signed up, by midnight on August 31st, I will randomize the movies and the subtexts and assign them out to the participants. The subtext and the movie are not linked to each other and will most likely not end up together. After everyone has their movie and their subtext they will have 2 weeks, ending on September 14th, to write their essay and email it to goonsubtextgame@gmail. Once we get it then the judges will grade the essays and the top three rated essays will get SUPER DELUXE PRIZES!

You want some examples of essays from prior years? Sure!
2012 ESSAYS
2013 ESSAYS

Here are the threads from the prior years...

Fine Print...
How long should these essays be?
Try to make them less than 3 pages. If you really need more than write more, but realize that unless you are able to keep it really entertaining through and through that the judges might get bored on page 24.

How are they going to be graded?
Completely arbitrarily by the judges. I believe it is pretty much agreed on that we want to BELIEVE the essay. A good example is D2: The Mighty Ducks and Catharsis through Castration essay.

Can I submit any movie?
Please make it a movie that does not require weeks to find. If you are assigned a movie that you honestly cannot find I will assign you a movie from one of the prior years that was not written on.

Can I submit any subtext?
Try not to be too extremely specific or convoluted. Like, we are looking more for "penis envy" or "war on terror" as opposed to "Carl Jung's idea of the anima and animus in exploring the reunification of post World War 2 Europe". This is supposed to be a fun essay challenge and not some 4000 level college essay.

What are the prizes?
Umm, those will be determined at a future date.

Should have email the essay in any particular way?
Please have "Username/Movie/Subtext" in the title of the email and please submit it in a normal format such as doc, rtf, pdf, etc.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask.

Edit:
Here is the current signup list.

ASSIGNMENTS FOR THE 2014 SUBTEXT GAME

code:
User			Movie					Subtext
TrixRabbi		I Am Legend (2007)			The Failed Mysticism of 1960s Counterculture
Egbert Souse		Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song	Resistance to colonialism [successful or not]
Jonny Angel		A Very Brady Sequel			All agents defect; all resistors sell out
Safe Driver		Videodrome				End The Fed
Friedpundit		Attack the Block			Canada works better in practice than in theory
User-Friendly		Barbarella				Gender politics in the information age
Hibernator		Looper					Geocentrism
RandallODim		Pain & Gain				Endorsement of BDSM sexuality
Cakebaker		Naked Lunch				Skeletons Disguised as People
mobby_6kl		The Talented Mr. Ripley			Dynamics of personal and cultural obsolescence
ynohtna			The Raid: Redemption(2011)		The feminist conspiracy to make men redundant
Zikan			Network(1976)				The ethics of consumption
axleblaze		Cool World (1992)			The lifelong yearning to return to the innocence of youth
Tars Tarkas		Miami Connection			How secular society attempts to fill the void in the absence of God
King Cyborg		Footloose (1984)			The crucifixion of Christ
Kirbdog			The Prestige				gently caress the 1970s
mr. stefan		Top Gun					Bitches be crazy
precision		12 Angry Men				The Divine Right of the British Empire
Vitamin P		Her					The cop and the criminal are the same person
Proposition Joe		Cloud Atlas (2012)			Millenials and the culture of unearned expertise/clickbaiting.
Darthemed		Titanic					Technology imposes social isolation
VROOM VROOM		Under the Skin				The US Government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic
Precombrian		The Fly					The effectivelessness of non-violent protest
Not a Twat		The Long Goodbye (1973)			The 5 stages of grief
Quovak			Chicken Run(2000)			The equivalency of artistic creation to magic
Hbomberguy		Gremlins 2: the New Batch		9/11 was an inside job
TheInvisiblePooka	Clerks					Fear of one's own body
PRIZES...
1st place will receive a Godzilla(1998) trailer reel as PART of their prize.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Fat Lou, please pair A Very Brady Sequel with Endorsement of BDSM Sexuality. Thanks in advance.

I hope that magically happens. I am doing it completely randomly, so we shall see.

I am hoping for Titanic and the effectivelessness of non-violent protest. :(

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Here is the current signup list.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I am just going to give this a little weekend bump for people who still have not signed up.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Quovak posted:

Username: Quovak
Film: 12 Angry Men
Subtext: End The Fed

e: Archives are back up. If you want to look at previous threads here they are:

Thank you kind sir. I forgot to actually check. Oops.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Sign ups are closed and I will have assignments out later today when I get off of work. RIP Labor Day.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

[IGNORE THIS POST]

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 2, 2014

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

And the easiest essay ever goes to...

Wait, gently caress.

God dammit.

I know :eng99:

There are always a good number of them that just seem obvious to me. The Fly and 5 stages of grief, The Raid and consumerism, Gremlins and fear of one's own body, Top Gun and the British Empire, etc etc just work in my mind. It is just unavoidable. That being said, I would love to actually read a large number of them though.

You know what? If you got a super goddamn obvious one and want to switch it out I will allow you to randomly get one from one of the past Subtext Games and I will put your subtext in there for future games.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

SORRY GUYS I AM PULLING A 180 AND REASSIGNING THINGS OUT OH GOD PLEASE DO NOT BE UPSET WITH ME!

Quovak posted:

You could always reshuffle things, possibly locking in the movie or subtext, if you think a full quarter of the subtexts are boringly obvious. I doubt anyone's started working on their essays in the last hour.

I did it a few times and had the same issue. INSTEAD, I shifted all the subtexts down one and switched one to avoid someone writing about their own subtext. Magically it looks a lot better...I think?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q__Cj8aipXCk86nzsppYtJRLfMPMGHnR2Ar6MLmJqsU/

code:
User			Movie					Subtext
TrixRabbi		I Am Legend (2007)			The Failed Mysticism of 1960s Counterculture
Egbert Souse		Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song	Resistance to colonialism [successful or not]
Jonny Angel		A Very Brady Sequel			All agents defect; all resistors sell out
Safe Driver		Videodrome				End The Fed
Friedpundit		Attack the Block			Canada works better in practice than in theory
User-Friendly		Barbarella				Gender politics in the information age
Hibernator		Looper					Geocentrism
RandallODim		Pain & Gain				Endorsement of BDSM sexuality
Cakebaker		Naked Lunch				Skeletons Disguised as People
mobby_6kl		The Talented Mr. Ripley			Dynamics of personal and cultural obsolescence
ynohtna			The Raid: Redemption(2011)		The feminist conspiracy to make men redundant
Zikan			Network(1976)				The ethics of consumption
axleblaze		Cool World (1992)			The lifelong yearning to return to the innocence of youth
Tars Tarkas		Miami Connection			How secular society attempts to fill the void in the absence of God
King Cyborg		Footloose (1984)			The crucifixion of Christ
Kirbdog			The Prestige				gently caress the 1970s
mr. stefan		Top Gun					Bitches be crazy
precision		12 Angry Men				The Divine Right of the British Empire
Vitamin P		Her					The cop and the criminal are the same person
Proposition Joe		Cloud Atlas (2012)			Millenials and the culture of unearned expertise/clickbaiting.
Darthemed		Titanic					Technology imposes social isolation
VROOM VROOM		Under the Skin				The US Government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic
Precombrian		The Fly					The effectivelessness of non-violent protest
Not a Twat		The Long Goodbye (1973)			The 5 stages of grief
Quovak			Chicken Run(2000)			The equivalency of artistic creation to magic
Hbomberguy		Gremlins 2: the New Batch		9/11 was an inside job
TheInvisiblePooka	Clerks					Fear of one's own body

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

ALSO, FOR MY REASSIGNMENTS I AM ANNOUNCING THAT THE FIRST PLACE WINNER WILL RECEIVE ONE(1) 35MM TRAILER REEL of GODZILLA(1998) AS ONE PART OF THEIR PRIZE!

Also, I will just say, that if it is a super hard pairing then judging will obviously be more lenient on it because we know it is hard. If it is easy then maybe play us with a few curve balls that we might not immediately think of. At the end of the day I want to believe that you honestly think that your subtext is THE SUBTEXT for that movie.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 2, 2014

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Jonny Angel posted:

So as someone who knows jack poo poo about the Brady Bunch, my understanding from a quick Wikipedia search is that I probably don't need to watch any of the original series, but MIGHT want to watch the first movie from '95. My main question here is: to what extent are we allowed / encouraged / discouraged as far as bringing in related films? Or secondary scholarship, I suppose? I feel like Augusto Boal might have something interesting to say about my subtext as it relates to a populist comedy production.

Bring in any outside sources you need. I remember some people actually having citations and stuff of scholarly articles in the past.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

About the Gremlins 2 thing, sorry. What I try to do is randomize everything and have each individual not get the movie or subtext they submitted. It never crossed my mind that someone had already actually done that somewhere on the internet. Either you can write it and try not to rewrite that essay, or grab a randomized old subtext, that was never written about, from prior years. The choice is yours.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

I haven't read the illuminati page, and I'm not going to - so for the record everything I come up with will be mine.

I'll try to do something interesting with it. I have a different definition of 'inside'.

That is fine with me, but you better be honest or else I will send the plagiarism police after you. Also, there are plenty of non-illuminati conspiracy theories.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

When exactly is the deadline, in GMT?

Well, I am ending it by midnight CST tonight, but realistically you will have a couple hours after the deadline until I get to a computer, and maybe even the morning if I drink too much since I am going out tonight.

We only have a small handful of entries right now, so people should get working.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

precision posted:

Mine is mostly done but I got called two towns away to do a job and I probably won't be home until early morning. I should have it sent off by 9 AM Eastern, if that's OK.

I won't be awake by then. I can guarantee that.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Well poo poo, I was out most of yesterday when I was hoping to work on this so I'm not sure I'll get this done in time.

drat kids waiting till last minute to do their homework!

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

VROOM VROOM posted:

Sent. I'm glad now that the subtexts were shifted, "the ineffectiveness of nonviolent protest" would have been too easy for Under the Skin. But as it turns out, it totally is about how the US government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic.

Good! I like your enthusiasm. Hopefully you will graduate at the top of your class.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I am most likely an idiot and it should be goonsubtextgame@gmail.com.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I am now awake. The deadline is now. I will have everything updated and set to the two other judges asap.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Cakebaker posted:

Do we get some score or notes on what you thought, or will only the winners be announced?

Everyone's score will be posted. If the judges want to give out notes then they will. For me it will depend on how busy I am for the next few days.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

The People demand resolution.

I have been informed it will be in by tonight or tomorrow. Sorry about the wait.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

THE FINAL SCORES ARE...

code:
VROOM VROOM - Under the Skin	9.5
Hbomberguy  - Gremlins 2	8.33
Cakebaker - Naked Lunch		7.83
User-Friendly - Barberella	7.5
mr. stefan - Top Gun		7.17
Hibernator - Looper		7
Precambrian - The Fly		6.33
precision - 12 Angry Men	6
Daerthmed - Titanic		6
TheInvisiblePooka - Clerks	5.67
Congrats to the winners! Here are your prizes.
VROOM VROOM, your prize is the Godzilla trailer reel and $25 to go towards whatever you want on Amazon or Moviepostershop.com
Hbomberguy, you get $25 to go towards whatever you want on Amazon or Moviepostershop.com
Cakebaker, you get $15 to go towards whatever you want on Amazon or Moviepostershop.com

For your prizes either send me an email or PM and we will work out the details.

Here is also the link to all of the essays this year...
https://drive.google.com/?usp=chrome_app#folders/0BzhYU84pseQZbFBBeXQtZEYwbkU

I gotta say though that Under the Skin essay loving killed it given how out of left field the subtext,The US Government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic, was and how well it was implemented.

Also, sorry about the long grading wait. We are always super slow, myself included, and I really should give us a time limit.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Cakebaker posted:

What does Platinum go for these days? Seems like shipping a dvd to Sweden with Amazon costs like 8 bucks, so it's not very worthwhile. And for moviepostersshop.com slowest shipping to Sweden for a poster is 14.99 which leaves me 0.01$ for the actual purchase x)

Haha, I was waiting for someone overseas to win and for me to look like an idiot. Yeah, I could grab you Platinum if that is what you want.

• Locked thread