Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Alright let's do this.

Name: VROOM VROOM
Movie: The Raid: Redemption (2011)
Subtext: Resistance to colonialism [successful or not]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

Movie: The Raid: Redemption (2011)

axleblaze posted:

Subtext: 9/11 was an inside job

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Well, this just got a lot more difficult.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

axleblaze posted:

The Raid one also seems particularly hard because I don't think there's one whole woman in that movie.

ynohtna posted:

Oh, word, this is possibly going to break my brain in half.
Your topic is about men being made redundant and the movie features scores (hundreds?) of men being killed. You got this.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Sent. I'm glad now that the subtexts were shifted, "the ineffectiveness of nonviolent protest" would have been too easy for Under the Skin. But as it turns out, it totally is about how the US government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I just noticed too, the one in the OP is missing a letter, it's goonsubtextgame@gmail I'm guessing.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Oh snap. I guess there was a reason it all felt so right when I was writing. Thanks to everyone that put in the effort, it seems neither my submitted movie nor topic were written on, oh well. Props to Hbomberguy for taking a more imaginative approach to his topic where I went the literal route, but

VROOM VROOM posted:

as it turns out, [Under the Skin] totally is about how the US government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

axleblaze posted:

If you want to know what I thought of your individual essays, just ask.

I think it's only appropriate to ask about mine, given your avatar. My thoughts: argumentation is solid but leans a lot on the assumption that the reader has seen the film, with lots of ambiguous (as in, having multiple possible readings) language meant to apply both to the film and the topic, as well as implied references to specific shots. (I knew I wanted to include one screenshot at the end - the motorcyclist staring out over the snow was a close second, but the final shot was too perfect in how it closed out both the film and the essay) How many of you guys had seen it?

• Locked thread