Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Borsche69 posted:

Half-Life is pretty crappy... its a super linear by the book shooter.

Even by today's standards, I'd still hardly call something with its diverse weaponry and unique enemy designs and encounters as 'by the book' so I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there. As for linear, yeah it's linear and I don't think you were really supposed to go in expecting Deus Ex.

Borsche69 posted:

Every fight except for the marines are really lame and simple...
This actually confuses me because usually people complain about the marine fights being lame in contrast to the alien encounters. I mean I actually liked both but I don't really see too many people praising the HECU fights over the alien fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

who the gently caress preferred the alien encounters, all of whom would just run straight at you

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
...i seem to recall the game a bit differently from you, mr. borsche, but i haven't played it in years so i'll take your word for it.

but yeah, apparently some people felt the HECU encounters were too intrusive to the alien invasion thing and interrupted the flow of the game or something like that.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Contra Calculus posted:

...i seem to recall the game a bit differently from you, mr. borsche, but i haven't played it in years so i'll take your word for it.

but yeah, apparently some people felt the HECU encounters were too intrusive to the alien invasion thing and interrupted the flow of the game or something like that.

the marines would take cover and flank you and throw grenades.

the aliens would stand statically and either charge at you or if they had a ranged attack just use that while out of cover.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
what difficulty did you play on? i do remember the aliens wouldn't take cover (since most of them weren't bipedal anyway), but I didn't really think they needed to since some alien types were really tough and could do a lot of damage to you in one shot anyway or they would overwhelm you with shear numbers.

again, may be remembering wrong, but I think the only ones that were really stupidly easy were the vortigaunts

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
I like Half-Life 1 and 2.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Hoodrich posted:

same

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Hoodrich posted:

An acceptable gamer opinion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Half Life 1 is good, Half Life 2 is kinda overrated but is also good. Episode One is shitsville.

Similarly, Bioshock 1 is good, 2 is also good, and Infinite is basically a skid mark on the underwear that is the whole series.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bio...Shockingly Well Made game with Infinite replayability and I Don't know what you are bitching about OP?

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

CJacobs posted:

Half Life 1 is good, Half Life 2 is kinda overrated but is also good. Episode One is shitsville.

Similarly, Bioshock 1 is good, 2 is also good, and Infinite is basically a skid mark on the underwear that is the whole series.

Episode 2 is epic as hell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So therefore Bioshock 4 is going to be great, cant wait to see what Irrational has up its sleeves next!

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Contra Calculus posted:

Even by today's standards, I'd still hardly call something with its diverse weaponry and unique enemy designs and encounters as 'by the book' so I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there. As for linear, yeah it's linear and I don't think you were really supposed to go in expecting Deus Ex.

This actually confuses me because usually people complain about the marine fights being lame in contrast to the alien encounters. I mean I actually liked both but I don't really see too many people praising the HECU fights over the alien fights.

Deus ex came out almost three years after half life but I get what you're trying to say. Younger gamers may not realize how groundbreaking the marine AI was in half life when it was released

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
2k Games: hey ken levine make another game here's a buncha money

Levine: okay

*starts making game*

2k Games: you know what would make this better? if you called it bioshock

Levine: no

2k Games: we're calling it bioshock

Levine: loving no!

2k Games: too late

Levine: ugh

Benny D posted:

Deus ex came out almost three years after half life but I get what you're trying to say. Younger gamers may not realize how groundbreaking the marine AI was in half life when it was released

jesus i want to throw my loving dentures at you you pretentious poo poo

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Borsche69 posted:

the marines would take cover and flank you and throw grenades.

the aliens would stand statically and either charge at you or if they had a ranged attack just use that while out of cover.

pretty much. the aliens at the beginning have simpler ai because they're the first enemies you fight. soldiers come in around the second act and that's when you start noticing squad tactics.

i don't like the alien soldiers that appear later in the game. they're bullet sponges who have ricocheting bullets and that gun isn't that useful when you finally get it.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

matrix ripoff posted:

jesus i want to throw my loving dentures at you you pretentious poo poo

I hope you throw better than you post otherwise I'm not particularly concerned

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Win

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Dec 26, 2012

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

watched that video loads of times and still cant figure out what the gently caress dewitt says at the start of it

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
booker d. witless

is the mad magazine name i'd give him if i were assigned to write a three page parody of the game for the iconic magazine

Dec 26, 2012

Tekopo posted:

watched that video loads of times and still cant figure out what the gently caress dewitt says at the start of it

wait a minute that card

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

really? it doesn't sound anything like that

Dec 26, 2012

it does when youre used to american english

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

god

drat

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

everytime

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
that's always an oldie but goodie. i think it should be mandatory to post it in every bioshock thread.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Bioshart

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Bioshockingly Bad

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

System Shock was better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It bothers me that the name Bioshock doesn't mean anything or make sense.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It bothers me that the name Bioshock doesn't mean anything or make sense.

it doesnt bother me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Genetics Jolt was too on the nose for 2k

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

01011001 posted:

it doesnt bother me
I'm very sensitive that way, I guess. Kids at school used to call me Bioshock because I resembled a Little Sister's head on a Big Daddy's body.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Bholder posted:

System Shock was better.

congrats on this groudbreaking, controversial gaming opinion

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Imagine if Bioshock rarely had combat except against bosses, and was more like Normality or Realms of The Haunting or Azrael's Tear.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Imagine if Bioshock wasn't written by people who felt smart after taking Philosophy 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm very sensitive that way, I guess. Kids at school used to call me Bioshock because I resembled a Little Sister's head on a Big Daddy's body.

lol if ur that young

just lol

• Locked thread