Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Nope. As far as RPGs go, this is about as unromantic a game as you can make. The writers seem to have completely wanted to avoid that aspect, and it shows. The final party actually doesn't even get along especially well, since they all kind of have their own things and problems.

The closest thing to a romance I can possibly say is in this game is between Linca and Marion, and how they feel about each other is quite far from love. But, it's eminently clear Linca is basically thinking about Marion all the time, even if Marion doesn't have time to dote on Linca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
GUST puts all their romance stuff into the Ar-series games, which can be as sappy/anime/etc as they want.

Ar Nosurge seems to alternate cool and :japan: elements pretty strongly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Ar Nosurge seems to alternate cool and :japan: elements pretty strongly.

Oh, so its just like the other Ar Tonelico games? :v:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Huh, that's kind of neat, actually. Do they concentrate on building relationships besides romance?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VIII: The Sweltering Path and Desert

Wow... I had no idea Katla had so much stuff in her bag.

Yeah, I was surprised, too. The only reason I let her come was because the stuff she had in her trunk seemed like it could actually be useful in combat. She didn't even tell me her cane had a boxing glove in it...

And Wilbell's magic was incredible, too. What was that spirit she summoned?

It must be one of the more powerful spirits she was talking about. Her magic did seem to have a theme too it... Looks like it was a good idea to bring those two along.

Yes! Logy, I want to check out the garden behind the atelier. Let's go!

Oh, wait... Your basket is too full. We should head back to town before we go any further.

Now that you mention it... Yeah, that's a good idea. Before i go back to the atelier, I want to help Katla sort out her stuff. Her trunk looked so messy.

Oh, you're back, Linca. Is there something you need?

Is there anything troubling you? I'll help you with anything I can.

No, not really. Thank you for asking, though.

Oh, I see. Understood.

I'm sorry?

Logy, please be troubled by something.

Huh? Okay, now I'm feeling a little troubled.

I was waiting to hear that! Whatever the problem is, I'll fix it for you. What should I do?

...It sounds like the captain asked you to do something, LInca. It'd help if you told me about it.

Marion? Perhaps you mean the mission I just received.

Probably. What are you supposed to do?

Marion gave me a mission to help you with anything that's troubling you. I asked Escha a little while ago, but I wasn't able to do much for her... That's why I need you to be troubled by something, so I can complete my mission.

You don't have to push yourself like that...

Logy, I'm your senior. Seniors are apparently supposed to help their juniors. If neither of you are troubled, what exactly am I supposed to do?

Why are you so bothered by the fact that nothing's bothering me? What do you want me to do about it? Oh, here's something. I was thinking I shouldn't ask you to do this, Linca, but...

What is it!? Ask me anything!

Well, could you go and buy me a snack?

Ah, an errand. I am confident in my errand-running abilities. What should I buy for you?

Uh, how about a couple of bread rolls? I'll pay you back later.

Two bread rolls. Understood! I'll be right back!

I feel like I'm the one asking for favors here. Is this really what Marion had in mind?

Escha, you're back. Has Linca talked to you about wanting to do something for you recently?

Uhhhh... Yeah, she did! A few weeks ago she came into the atelier while you were working on the balloon with Brother and asked me about wanting to help me with some reports. I told her I wasn't good at writing them, and she wanted to help me. But she wasn't good at writing them, either...

I see... (Sounds like Linca could be a problem. I hope I can just leave her to Escha.)

Wow, that's a big stipend!

Escha, one of our additional tasks is to sell enough items to equal 50 Cole. Nio said she wanted some spending money, so I'll sell some materials to her. I'll be back soon. After that, we'll head back to the mountain atelier. I want to look at the garden.

Dammit, there's some monsters guarding it. Let's go!

Lots of barrels, and some of the plant life is still alive. It's really rare to see something like this near Colseit.

More rocks. This is the summit, so that's probably all we'll find on this mountain.

Hey Logy, how many people do you think lived here when this was used?

Hard to say. But it was definitely more than one person, considering the scale of the gardens we saw. Maybe there was a large group of alchemists living here.

And they've been gone for a long time...

Well, that's only a guess. I'm not that knowledgeable about ruins, so maybe Threia could help you more about that.

I'm scared to ask her, though...

I don't think she's going to find much more...

Isn't that one of Solle's homunculi?

Well, as far as I know there's not much difference between the homunculi. Maybe one of the alchemists that lived here made this one. Seems he has stuff in his tent. Might be selling something.

Wow...that's a great selection. I don't think we really need anything through. I am interested in what the Heavenly Spirits does, but it doesn't look like it has one right now.

It looks like we're done with our investigation of these ruins. Let's head back to town.

Yeah, good idea. There's something I want to get started on.

All right, that oughta do it.

Logy, what are you doing over there?

Oh, I just noticed this area over here was a little, umm... Well, I was organizing it.

Huh? But weren't you organizing that area before...?

Well, yeah, but I thought it would be a little easier to use this if it was over here.

Y-Yes, I think it's great, actually... Umm... Logy, are you by any chance...a perfectionist?

That's, um... Well, I wouldn't say that myself... Why? Do you think I am? Everyone at my last post said that about me, too. I wonder why...

I mean, it's just... Whenever I turn around, you're organizing something.

Really? Hmm. But you're cleaning up after us all the time, right? It's just like that. Besides, isn't using a well organized set of equipment much more satisfying?

Well, maybe, but I don't think we need to move them around the place so often, do we?

It's refreshing to change things up every once in a while, don't you think?

If you do it too much, we'll lose track of where all our tools and equipment are!

...Logy, I think this falls more under "OCD" than "perfectionism". It's not that it's a bad idea, it's just...

I just don't like seeing a disorganized place to work. Besides, the government of Colseit is giving us this room. It's up to us to keep it in good shape. I just...don't like working in a messy place.

Hmm... I didn't know that. I'm sorry.

It's okay. I'll just finish up here and get back to practicing with the Trainer.

Hey Escha, let's go take at some job requests from Solle. It's been a while since we've taken a few.

Hmm... More staff? Very well, I shall give it a look. ...This won't do at all. Have you calculated your budget properly? I must say, this is quite sloppy. I'm going to have to deny your request for additional staff. Please think further ahead.

W-Wait a second...! If we hire now, then we can solve our problem with being too short-staffed...

Given the current state of the Maintenance Division, I'd say you have more than enough staff. Perhaps your "problem" is a result of you not allocating your resources effectively.

W-Woah there, kid... Do you have any idea what goes on down in the trenches, where the real work is?

That's easy for you to say. When I asked earlier about your budget, you said you had plenty of time. And now, you're telling me that a job you had "under control" needs more staff, without more planning?

Urrrgh... Dammit, fine! I'll do something about it!

That was...pretty impressive. Anyway... Um... Mr. Solle? We came to ask you to check our calculations...

Yes, of course. What's the matter...? Why are you staring at me like that?

Ah, we were just wondering...if we should have Ms. Marion take another look at it... That's all.

That would require excess work and time. Since it's already here, why don't I look at it for you. Hm. It appears there are no errors... Very well, I shall accept it.

Whew... I'm so relieved. I thought you were going to get mad at us again.

Huh? B-But Mr. Heizeman was just...!

Oh, I'll express my opinions to people like him, but I would say I was far from angry.

R-Really...? But you looked so scary.

Scary...? I had no intention of scaring anyone. Heh. At any rate, please return to your posts.

I-I was so nervous back there... I guess he's really strict to people who half-heartedly do their work.

Yeah. We should be careful he doesn't call us out... C'mon. Let's go speak to Threia. Marion wanted us to get to know her better, and we need to start planning our next adventure with her. I have a feeling it's going to be difficult working with her...

Hey, you're late. How long do you intend to keep me waiting?

Huh? Miss Threia? It's not even time yet, though.

I've never gone on an exploration with this many helping hands... Now let's be off!

"This many"? There are only a few of us.

You're too soft. You only say that because you've never gone on an expedition by yourself. Even if you find important data, you have to bring it back. Monsters may attack you out of nowhere... Imagine how much easier it would be, simply by having a few more people in your traveling group.

Yeah, I can certainly see that there would be limitations when you're by yourself in the wild.

There's no immediate gratification in historical research. That's why it's difficult to get people. With everyone so fixated on investing in alchemical research, I basically have no budget to go on.

You mean you don't use alchemy, Miss Threia? I assumed you were good at it, from the way you look.

How many times do I have to tell you? I'm just a researcher... I know how to use certain items the alchemists used in previous eras, but I don't know how to Synthesize.

That's actually a little unexpected.

In fact, most of the discoveries I bring back from my travels get taken away. How am I supposed to conduct research?

Uh... I can see why you'd think that your research is difficult.

Argh! We're still wasting time! I'm going on ahead!

Wh-Whoa! P-Please wait! We need to gather our party before we-

You're so impatient... Why don't you calm down a little before we make a decision?

She really is scary...

I'm not sure if "scary" is the word I'd use, but that's pretty close... Anyway, we have a couple fighting assignments, don't we?

Yeah. Unusual monsters have shown up in Twilight Forest and the Old Highway. A Flesh Eater has been spotted deep in the forest, and Scissor Beasts at the end of the Old Highway. We should take care of both of them, I think.

Right. Let's get moving.

It's amazing how much experience I've gained in the past few months.

It's good, right? Doing this job means getting more confidence. I have to learn a lot, too, so it's not just you.

That's one.

Another busy month. What do you think we'll do next assignment?

Hard to say. I've been trying to ask Marion, but I heard from her she doesn't even know the assignments until she gives us them. Apparently orders come in Central, pass through Mr. Grumman's office, and are given to Marion, who tells us what the job is. I worked in Central for a long time, but it's still hard to know what they prioritize. We'll know in a couple months.

And that's the other. What's next...

We've done all of them already? I thought we still had to make a Spirit Garland. I guess you made that, Escha?

Yes. Duke had the recipe book for making Spirit Garlands, so I went and bought a book from him. I guess you must have been away when I did.

I guess, but...still, you should make sure I know before you do stuff like that in the future. I have to keep track of how much money we spend.

Well, we're done with this assignment. Is there anything else you wanted to do before this quarter ends, Escha?

Hm...I need to catch up on my alchemy. I want to make a Heal Bandage and Aroma Pouch for future adventures. They'll be a big help, since the monsters get stronger the further we go from Colseit.

Gotcha. Just tell me if there's anything you need.

Oh, Logy! There is something I need!

What is it?

I reaaaaalllly want to make this Omega Craft! It's so powerful, but I don't have enough ingredients for it. I need to gather more Spiky Buds from the mountain atelier.

If it's that important, sure. Let's get moving.

Ugh...we really need to be careful. We left without gathering enough Spiky Buds. You really should be better organized, Escha.

I know, I know... I'm sorry, Logy. But, we do have enough now!

Yeah, let's get going. (The atelier's gotta be a mess by now...)

Hey Logy, I'm going to show you amazing an alchemist I've become. I want this Craft to be really strong, so here's what I'll do. I'll use the Wind Elements to divide the Mixed Lubricant, so I can add all those Fire Elements to the Synthesis. Then...

Then I'll use Power+ LV1, using three Fire elements, to double the power of the Mixed Lubricant, and then add it!

Are you impressed?

Yeah. Sounds like you've really improved, and so quickly. Once we get some better materials, I can show you how to make amazing weapons.

I'm really looking forward to that! Anyway, we don't have much time until the assignment is over. I'm just going to be practicing my alchemy. I'm getting better, but I still have a lot to learn. I think you can relax, Logy.

Actually, I wanted to go train with Linca. Marion said Linca will be back for a few days, so I want to learn a few techniques from her before she has to leave again.

That sounds really amazing!

Well, another assignment done. Looks like we're making good progress.

Yes. Let's turn in our last report and learn what we'll do next.

Is Linca still really busy right now?

Linca's out on an expedition to suppress nearby monsters... I think?

That's correct. I believe that in the past we actually had a division dedicated to keeping monsters back. But they've been disbanded, and there aren't many groups capable of responding to these requests now.

So Linca's working for another division on that mission...?

They just grab anyone who can swing a sword or shoot arrows. She's the only one from R&D who qualifies...

Yeah... It must be a pretty dangerous mission.

Oh, I'm not worried about the monsters. It's just... She's not the best around other people. She always says everything's okay, but I really hope she's not causing trouble, wherever she is right now.

You can say that again...

S-Sorry... I shouldn't have said anything.

Hmm... Well, I am worried, and I'd feel much better if she was helping with our investigations.

Well, worrying isn't going to do anything. We have to trust Linca while we focus on our own work. Now, let's look at your achievements for the last period. Hmm... This is very impressive. As your superior, I have absolutely no complaints.

I'm really glad to hear that. So, we just have to keep up our current pace, then?

You've done a really thorough job on all your assigned tasks. You did very well.

So, are we going to be doing a more thorough investigation of those ruins now?

Yes... Based on these documents, it looks like another group will pick up where you left off... With these thorough reports, I'm sure they'll have no problem taking over from here. Keep it up!

Got it. We'll keep doing our best! Um... I wonder if we'll find more ruins like that one?

Now, I'm going to give you your next assignment.

Investigate the village to the north? You mean to tell me there's another habitable area here?

Yes, it's a little ways away, but apparently this village has been around for a while.The people there have requested assistance from us. Evidently, their water supply is drying out.

(Hmm... So they're having problems like that, too...)

The water...dried up? But, how could that happen?

I'm curious what's causing it, too. But right now, we have to find out what's happening so we can help.

I hope we'll be able to do something for them when we get there.

Even small efforts can lead to big payoffs. Do whatever you feel you can, and you may be surprised.

U-Understood. We'll do everything we can!

Let's get to that village, first. I wonder what's happening there.

It looks like we've already completed one of the main assignments: invest in research. That's a nice surprise.

Y-Yes...it'll definitely help. Um, I'll start getting things ready for the trip. To the north, past the Old Highway, is a desert, so we'll need some things to keep cool. Could you ask Nio if she has any herbs that might help keep body temperature low?

That's a good idea. I'll be back soon.

Hmm... Maybe a forest nearby? I think there'd be some growing there.

There are, but there aren't many varieties there... I can't make very powerful medicine with only the kinds that are from there.

I don't know a whole lot about herbs, though, sorry. Are you that bothered?

Hmm... Well, it's just not convenient? I didn't think there would be so little around here.

Are things different in other towns, or wherever you're from, Nio?

That's something to envy. Places like that have become pretty rare lately.

Is that so? My house was pretty far from town, so it was also a little inconvenient. There was a nice traveling merchant who always came by, though, so I guess it was actually pretty good. After traveling for so long, I've started to feel like my home really was something special.

Isn't that good? Your homeland should feel like a special place.

Yes. What was your homeland like, Logy? You aren't from this town, right?

Let's see... There are a lot of buildings and people, and there's almost no green vegetation left. That's why it's pretty strange to me to hear someone say that it's inconvenient to be missing herbs.

I'm a little surprised... My homeland was full of greenery, but I suppose that's actually a very rare thing.

I really would like to see such a nice place. Where did you come from?

It's very far from here, so I think it would be very difficult to go there...

I see... I will when I have a chance.

Oh, you're back. Did Ms. Nio have anything that could help with heat?

No. In fact, she said she needed to find more herbs right now, and we ended up talking about where she came from. Did she ever tell you about that?

Yes. One time I asked where she and Wilbell came from, and she said a place far to the east from here, that was filled with greenery and beautiful, healthy fields.

Yeah, that's what she told me. I wonder why those places are getting rarer and rarer. Could it...

What's wrong?

Nothing, don't worry about it. Actually, can we head to Katla's shop? I want to see if she has anything interesting.

Sure. Let's go.[/i]

It's too much work to count every single one... And when I use 'em, I just use them all at once, anyway. Obviously the catalyst's quality is extremely important, but so are the numbers I can purchase.

Why, we owe it to you, Ms. Wilbell! You're my special customer, so I have the perfect item for you. Tada! This Ruin Pendant is all the rage in Central City right now!

This thing? It looks like something I could find just about anywhere.

But, of course you wouldn't! You see, it's hand-crafted by only the finest artisans, piece by piece.

Hmm!? Say, do you mind if I take a closer look at it?

By all means, be my guest.

...Say, you said this was cheap? I would like to purchase it right away.

Huuh? R-Really!? Yes, I'll sell it! I'll sell it! Thank you VERY much!

Hm, Ms. Wilbell? Were you just buying something here?

Oh yeah, this little gem right here.

Hey, that looks like...

This is the Ruin Pendant! You mean she's still selling that thing?

Hey, Wilbell... I don't know what she told you, but I'm pretty sure it's all lies. Just so you know.

L-Logy! How could you say that!? I'm sorry, madam, but we do not give refunds here.

No, no, no, what are you looking at? This was quite the buy. A very rare find!

A rare find...? You mean that thing is actually popular somewhere?

Not the stupid pendant. See this gem here on the very end, here? It's a very rare mineral.

Huh...? A rare...mineral?

Oh, yes. It's actually an excellent catalyst, and very hard to find.

Wow, I had no idea when I first set eyes on it...

Well, I wouldn't expect an amateur to know it. There aren't a great many uses for it, either. Nonetheless, I wasn't expecting to come across one at such a bargain. This is quite the gem indeed.

Hmm? Er, you know, if you're not 100% satisfied by our items, we'd be more than happy to refund you.

Oh, I think I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Thank you very much. I'll be back soon...

Hahaha, if you'd known it was really rare, you could have demanded a higher price.

You did say you were trying desperately to sell it, so I guess your wish came true. Congrats.

There's nothing to congratulate me for here!

(I guess we can't expect a little child to be a great negotiator... Maybe we should help her a bit.)

Why are you smiling, Logy?

Oh, it's just... I'm happy to see she's making money.

But we should still do everything we can to help her!

C'mon. We should check with Solle to see if any new requests came in.

There's a bunch we can do!

Yeah. And if this assignment is anything like the previous ones, some of our jobs should be to fulfill some job requests from Solle. Let's go ahead and accept all the ones we can report in now.

You're so smart, Logy!

Look! Now you can use an Omega Craft, too. It'll be a lot easier to defeat dangerous monsters if both of us have these.

You're right. Thanks Escha.

The hotshot and businessman

Is something wrong? Do you have more work for us?

There's some people I'd like you to meet. Please follow me.

Music: Belly's Bullet

Hey...it's those guys from the ruins. I guess they really weren't looters.

I'll have to burn this moment into my memory... Nice to meet ya.

Miss Marion, who might these be?

They're both adventurers who are going to help us with our efforts. They've worked for us in the past.

Name's Reyfer, Reyfer Luckberry. Professional treasure hunter.

What is he...wearing? I've never seen clothes like that before...

I am the honorary president of the self-governing body of Reisengang, and leader of our science club... Deputy director of the Colseit Friends, famed adventurer Harry Olson. It is a great pleasure.

Reisengang? So he's THAT Harry Olson... Never thought I'd see him here.

I'm Escha from the R&D Division. We're alchemists. This is my colleague, Logy.

You've got TWO alchemists here? That's pretty rare. And the two of you are...pretty close?

Yes! Logy is a really good friend of mine!

Ah, okay... No need to rub it in, haha.

...So, what exactly are we doing here?

Ah, yes. Allow me to explain. Miss Marion and I are good friends, you see...

...And during my last business trip, Harry was kind enough to offer me lodgings.

I see... She's never told me much about that trip, actually...

Afterwards, I heard that Marion had a new post, so I thought I'd come along and how she was doing. Lo and behold, she was completely short-staffed and bewildered by her duties.

Well Harry here asked me to help out with the R&D Division's doin's, starting today.

You're both going to be helping us? That would be amazing!

Oh, no, only Reyfer will be joining you on your expeditions. I will be with you in spirit, though!

You're going to help us...? Um, is this okay, Miss Marion?

I got permission from both Colland and Solle. Besides, there's no denying we could use the help. Officially, we're contracting them on as "external consultants".

Why...is he speaking like that? I'm getting a headache...

Feel free to let me handle things for ya, kids. I hope we make a good team.

Treasure? Um... We're investigating the ruins to see what we can learn from them... (Can he really help us...? He does sound like an interesting person! Maybe we can become friends...)

Glad that's over...

Huh?

It's Reyfer. Just the way he talks is very strange to me, and he seems to be more interested in treasure than investigating the ruins along with us.

Is that going to be a problem? As long as he helps with our adventures, I don't see the problem with letting him search for treasure in the ruins.

Maybe... We just have to make sure we don't get go off hunting treasure like he does. We have a job to do, and I don't think Marion would be very happy if we were more interested in finding treasure than doing our job.

I know, I know.

Oh, and Escha. Including us, there's now seven people going on our adventures. We don't have enough room to bring supplies for everyone. So, before we leave town, we need to decide who has to stay behind.

Oh, that's too bad...okay, I'll let Wilbell know she can do things by herself while we're away.

Hey, I'll go with you. We're about ready to go.

No, I just got here myself... You ready to head out?

Why is Reyfer leading this party now?

Oh, sorry for rustling the reins from you. Lead on, Mr. Leader.

What...? I'm not mad at you, I was just asking.

Hey, don't get all snippy on me now. It doesn't really matter to me who the leader is.

Yeah, you don't sound like yourself, Logy.

S-Sorry... I don't know why, but I'm just on edge whenever Reyfer's around.

Really? I actually enjoy talkin' to you.

Hahaha... Um, Mr. Reyfer, you're really used to going on adventures, right?

As long as there's treasure to be had, even a ladies' room becomes an ancient mystery to me.

I-I see...

Ugh, stop acting stupid, and let's get going...

Hey, c'mon now. We're gonna be searchin' for treasure together, so why shouldn't we be friends?

This is not one of your treasure hunts. This is an official investigation.

Haha, same thing, right? C'mon, let's go. If we sit around for too long, someone'll beat us to it. I do have a bit more life experience than you two, so you could learn a thing or two from me.

So you do want control of this party, then...

Hahaha... He is pretty driven. I think he'll be a big help to us!

He does seem pretty together, but still...

Does he bother you that much, Logy?

It's not that, it's just... Never mind. Let's get going.

Looks like we've got a long trip. Good thing we made all those preparations.

Music: To the Land Without a Name

It's a desert...so why don't I feel very hot?

Well, we're close to a river, and it's December. That might make this area a little colder than most, but I still wouldn't have brought that outfit, Escha.

It's okay! The hat protects me from the sun.

Hey Logy, how does Threia attack? She doesn't have anything she throws or hits the enemies with. She just sort of shakes her head and blasts the enemy with something...

I'm not...it's her earrings!

Huh?

I'm not sure how it works, but I'll bet Threia uses special earrings made by ancient alchemists to attack. She probably found a prototype in ruins somewhere and made earrings based off of that. It's surprisingly effective, honestly. Maybe I didn't give her enough credit.

I wonder what other things alchemists in the past made, besides the ruins.

Well, slags for sure. We know slags have been around for a very long time, but other than that it's mostly a mystery. Maybe that's a big reason she wants to study the ruins more.

Logy! Be careful! There's something in the grass!

These things are a lot stronger than you'd expect hamsters to be...

Escha, I'll be bringing in Reyfer. I need to take a quick break.

S-Sure!

Incredible...I guess her earrings and jewels are even more powerful than I thought.

It's important everyone work together to defeat difficult enemies, Escha. Everyone has a part.

Yeah. We're definitely stronger when we work together.

That shirt will provide a lot more protection against enemy attacks. Don't worry about me, Escha. You should use that one.

You were right, Logy...it's definitely getting hotter.

Yeah...let's move on as fast we can. The sooner we can leave this desert after finishing the investigation, the better. Looks like this lake is mostly dried up.

It's a good thing those slags were pretty weak...but Mr. Reyfer sure is strong.

I have to agree. A gun is a good choice to bring on adventures.

They also dropped a new staff for me! My mother gave me the staff I'm using now, so I'm going to keep taking good care of it, but I need something a little stronger when I go on adventures.

This looks like the village's warehouses for food and other supplies...but they've been boarded up. What happened?

Oh no...

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 14, 2014

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Sylphid posted:

First of all, thank you for reading my LPs.

To answer your question, if you were to ask me there's no real hint of a romantic relationship between Escha and Logy anywhere in the story, but it all comes down to interpretation of a few key scenes between them. You can maybe make the case, but I just don't think the writers really intended to make their relationship romantic in nature. Escha has a lot of respect for Logy's experience and professionalism and Logy admires Escha's dedication and cheerfulness, but there's not much beyond that.

That's great. Putting in romance now would be weird considering the past games have had none.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are there obstacles that require other things? Like, you need some kind of ice-effect stuff to get through a stretch of desert?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And now we're suddenly in Wild ARMs verse.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

Are there obstacles that require other things? Like, you need some kind of ice-effect stuff to get through a stretch of desert?

Nope, just rocks. Though, the amount of damage a bomb will do depends on its alchemy level. The bombs we get at the end at the end of the game are going to be better rock destroyers than Crafts.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 15, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I've got one more day in Tokyo, but I do have some news. Atelier Shallie is heading west. Not a huge surprise, given the past five Atelier games have been localized, as well as the Rorona, Totori, and Meruru remakes (no word on Ayesha's, I think), but welcome news, of course. Interestingly, Ayesha got a first-run bonus for the Vita version, and the costume it gives Ayesha is quite nice.

Naturally, I'll be buying and doing an LP of it when I feel ready to do so. But, that won't be for a year at least.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IX: The Thirsty People and Settlement

Do you think the village is still here, Logy?

Probably. Marion wouldn't send us out here if the village was gone, but... Things can't be looking good if the storehouses are boarded up. Let's get to the village quickly.

Oh, we've been waiting for you!

The report said that your water supply has dried up. Would you mind telling us more about this?

It's been slowly drying out for a little while, but... We didn't expect it to all go so suddenly.

I see... Well, in that case we're going to need...

We've already taken the initiative and prepared them for you.

Thank you very much! Well, I guess it's time to go off on our mission!

Hmm...

What is it?

It's a recipe to create a create a small wellspring. It probably won't be enough for the entire village, but if we can make this soon, then we can definitely get the villagers a lot more water. It looks like the well in this village dried up, and if we use this item, we can replenish the supply. We should make it soon.

Yeah... The people here look like they're really thirsty.

The village is large, but that will only make it harder to help this place recover... This could be tricky.

Logy, looks like there's some alchemy ingredients in here. Nothing in here looks like it can be eaten, anyway... I'll just take a few things.

Hey Logy, I found something!

What is it? ...Oh, it's an Iron Plate. Very useful in syntheses that involve a lot of metal. We should take it with us.

I knew it...

What is it?

I'll tell you later. C'mon, we should check out the village well, see how bad the drought has been.

It's dark, but there's definitely not much water down there.

Hey Logy, what was that man saying about the land decreasing?

It's been something that's been happening for a while now. Fertile lands have been going barren for a while now. This has been mostly happening in remote areas far from civilized areas like the areas around Central, but it's something that can happen anywhere. Not only that, but water sources have been drying up as well. No one really knows why it's happening.

Really? No idea?

There have been some theories, but nothing that's been proven yet. That's why Colseit is so strange to me, is that such a remote area can support such a large apple orchard.

Wow...I hope nothing bad ever happens to the orchards.

Yeah, the orchards are really special. Anyway, looks like we've completed our investigation here. Making that Drought Control recipe is going to be important now, so we should get back. I have to get started on working on cleaning the atelier.

That again? Then again, I have some jobs that the Maintenance Division wanted me to do. Something about making some metal connectors for the docks.

I did notice they looked like a little worn-down.

Huh!? You're finished already!? Oh, I'm so jealous that you're such a quick worker.

You're just inefficient. How do you expect ot even finish at the rate you're going?

Oooh... What do I need to do to become really fast like you?

For starters, you could turn down some requests. Focus on what you've already put on your plate.

Ahh, Marion told me the same thing.

Well, it was good advice. I think she wanted to come in and check in on our progress later today anyway. In fact, she should be coming in right about now...

Well? How are you guys doing in here?

We're doing well! I actually just wrapped up.

Ah, very impressive. And how about you, Escha?

U-Umm...I'm just getting started on today's work...

H-How can you possibly be so behidn!? Don't tell me that you've...

Um... Well, I was doing some work that Brother's team requested from us, and I...

If you've got time to be helping others, you have time to finish your own duties first!

Eek! I'm sorry...!

I was just telling her that, so go easy on her. Here, I'll help her with these documents.

Sorry, Logy... Escha, make sure you learn your lesson from this.

Y-Yes... I'll be more careful.

Huh!? I-Is that true...?

Wow, that's pretty exciting.

So, while our reputation's improving, it's not an excuse to slack off on our assignments. We've got to be careful about what work we take on, and manage our time a little better, mmkay?

Yes! I'll be sure to finish everythin on time from now on!

You sure you're gonna be okay? So, what haven't you finished yet...?

Um, this one...and this one... Oh yeah, and that one...

A lot more than I thought.

...Oh, why are the two of you so, um...different...? Though the two of you do make a pretty good team when you work together.

I'm not angry, Escha, it's just that I don't want Marion to worry about us. If she thinks I'm doing all the work, and you can't handle the jobs you've taken, that won't look very good for you or the department. That reflects on Marion, and Solle and Colland as well.

I know, but... What can I do?

Hmm... How about, I'll check your schedule every few weeks, and offer my suggestions? I want you to be punctual, but responsible as well. No one is expecting you to do everything.

... How do you do it, Logy? You're always so professional, and are always so organized. It doesn't seem like there's anything you can't do.

Well, I was trained in Central under people much more skilled than I was or am. Besides, I can't synthesize in a cauldron. And...there's something else I can't do as well.

Something else?

It's about something that happened a long time ago. Never mind. I'll start getting the materials ready for the Purify Bottle. Why don't you go see what R&D has to offer? I'll join you after I'm done here. Katla said she wanted to speak to us about the last adventure.

This should be really helpful, and it's not that much.

Haha, was it really that fun?

Yes! I've never traveled around like this! Everything's a new discovery!

Yeah, there were some dangerous times, but it was still a lot of fun.

Personally, I wish you'd be a little more cautious...

But at least I'm not getting in your way, right?

...Yeah. I was surprised at how seriously you took it.

We got a lot of work done, so you were a big help. Thank you, Katla.

Hee hee, you're welcome!

So, did you find any rare items? I forgot to ask earlier.

What...? What rare items?

I totally forgot. I'm so ashamed...

It's pretty strange that you'd forget something like that, Katla.

I guess I couldn't help it. Being around outside with you was so much fun.

Yes, but if you forget your main objective, then it was all for nothing.

Ugh, you're right.

W-Well, you can always look for stuff on your next investigation.

Yeah, that's right. I'll definitely find something special next time!

I like how you casually imply that you're going to go with us every time now. Clever girl...

Are you still against it, Logy?

It's too late for that. It hink you should just do what you can for now.

I think so, too. We'll protect you, so don't worry.

Th-Thank you very much!

However, we do expect you to start pulling your own weight from now on. We'll be counting on you.

Got it. Just leave it all to me!

Your attitude toward her has changed a lot, Logy.

Really? I guess it has, but she's more than proven herself on the adventures we've gone with her on. She can be troublesome, but she's helpful and resourceful. She's a good traveling companion, but I'm not still not sure about her business model.

Hehe, yeah. Anyway, didn't Katla have a reference book in stock?

Yeah. Lots of interesting recipes in this one. Let's pick it up.

That's the Bottle. Should we head back to the village now?

I have something else I want to make first...

That's an interesting item. What is it?

It's a Glass Tiara. It uses magical runes to lessen the damage taken from monster attacks and reduces your spirit instead. If you don't have any spirit, though, it won't work. It can also change all sorts of things about your body just by wearing it. It's really interesting.

I...see... Escha, I was planning on working with the equipment brought from Central a bit. There's some modifications I need to make to it, and it's just...it might be a little dangerous for you around, so why don't you take a little break? Do you have anything you need to do in town?

Hmm, Nio stopped by the atelier earlier today. She said she had a new recipe book. So, I'll just take a little break and go buy it.

Good idea.

We've been buying a lot lately...but the more books we get, the better.

You're back. Did you get the book?

Yeah. Lots of good healing items. We should be a lot safer during our journeys.

Medicine Bread... I had this a lot back in Central. Very easy to pack, and nutrious. Not very sweet, though. I don't know if you'd like it, Escha.

Really? Maybe I need to make more snacks.

Logy, I was thinking... The villagers looked really hungry, and they didn't have any land to grow food. They didn't have much food either.

That's true, but what's your plan?

Well, it might be a good idea to make some food before we go. I'm sure they'd really like it, especially since even if we did use the Purify Bottle to restore water and nutrients to the soil, it might take a while for them to start growing food.

You know, you're absolutely right. You have some really good ideas every now and then, Escha.

"Every now and then"? You don't have to be so mean, Logy...

Haha, I'm joking. Anyway, it's a good idea. Why don't you make some of your Apple Tarts? I'm sure they'd like that.

Yeah! Let's get started!

And we're done! Let's get going!

But if this drought continues, I'm afraid we'll have to abandon this village...

I guess we solved the immediate problem, but there are still issues that need to be taken care of.

This is about all we can do for them right now. Let's go and report back to the boss.

Is that really all? I mean, the problem is still there...

True, but there's only so much we can do without knowing the source of the problem. We still don't know if the problem is localized to this area, or if the problem is more severe. That is, if it's a problem at the village or at the source. We won't be able to tell until we wait a few months and see what happens. At the very least, the immediate problem is over.

Yeah, you're right... But still, I want to check back every now and then. We can't let that village die.

I agree, but we should be getting back for now.

Interesting. We've completed all of the main assignments. That took a little while.

And we got some interesting new books, too! Books for making new weapons, making new accessories and synthesis items, and making more powerful bombs... Great!

Not to mention being able to carry more items outside of town. We're making some excellent progress. It's thanks to your alchemy, Escha.

No, no, it's all due to your professionalism. You're only a little older than me, but you're so much more experienced.

It may be like Marion says. We make up for each other's weaknesses.

Yeah! Let's check out the last assignments... Delivering Distilled Water and glass materials to people in town, defeat a powerful Steel Skin in the mountain atelier, use a Cup of Life to heal the people helping us in battle, make a Lightning Bomb with the "Piercing" effect, make some Handmade Pottery, make a Cotton Shirt with the Defense +3 effect, patrol the Southern Ruins and defeat a Nano Slag in the Courtyard, gather some Glass Cores at the Old Highway, and...make a Glorious Note. Looks like a synthesis task.

Sounds like a lot, but I'm sure we can do it. What do you want to take care of first?

Hmm...maybe the Glorious Note?

The magic of alchemy

Hmm... What should I do?

Something wrong, Escha?

I want to make something new, but nothing good's coming to mind. I guess I really don't have a lot of variety yet, huh?

I think you're doing the best you can with what you have to work with...

Oh, Marion! It's good to see you.

Another new piece of equipment form Central City just arrived.

Wow... I'm impressed. To be quite honest, I never even thought we'd get one device, but now...

Looks like I underestimated our boss, too. He really has a number of connections in Central City. The maintenance crew will come install this for you. Do you mind waiting outside again?

Oh, of course... I wonder what we're getting?

Do you know what we're getting, Logy?

No, I have no idea... I wonder what Mr. Grumman managed to get...

Yes, right around there's fine... Okay, perfect. Thank you. It's all done. Go check it out, you guys.

Wow, a Dismantler. How did you get this?

I have no idea what this device can do, but I'm glad you're happy. Well, then... Make sure you put it to good use, and keep up the good work.

Thank you very much, Ma'am. And, please give the branch manager my regards.

Um... So, what does this thing do? I don't have a clue...

This is a Dismantler. It's used primarily for analyzing ancient artifacts.

Whoa... So you can tell what the artifacts we discover in ruins are?

Not just that... If you analzye a compound in a Dismantler, you can see what materials it's made up of. Put simply, you can then Synthesize the artifacts that we've discovered on our travels.

Whoa... We can make things that we find outside?

I'll use this to figure out the recipe, and then give it to you, Escha. I'm the only one who can use this here, so leave the analyzing to me.

That sounds like a great idea. I get the feeling I'd never use that right, even if you taught me how.

If you find a new artifact, let's try analyzing it. Then we can have new Synthesis recipes for you.

Well, that's always nice. Hmm...this is getting exciting!

Still, I never thought we'd get technology like this. This thing is the pride of the R&D team in Central. I was always envious of those guys for making something like this. It's thanks to machines like this that alchemy research has come as far as it has.

Oh? Central City has divisions, too?

Yeah. I belonged to the R&D Division for a while, but I was transferred out before the Dismantler research was completed. The Divisions are organized similarly to here in Colseit, but the competition between the teams is a lot more intense than it is here. It was a little exhausting...

Why is that?

Well, it's a little hard to explain, but basically, the teams that perform the best get the most money. Teams that don't perform to expectations get dismantled, reorganized, or just removed, and the researchers get fired. It's a lot of pressure to come up with new and better ideas all the time, but that's the kind of place Central City is.

Wow...

I think I'm good to go. Escha, do you want to see weapon synthesis?

Of course! I've been waiting to see how it's done.

Okay. Stand back.

Went perfectly.

Wow! Great! Seeing you work with that is amazing.

Okay, now all I have to do is finish the hilt and...

The swords you use look a little different from regular swords, Logy.

I'm not sure of the details, but apparently it was something found in the ruins, then upgraded. I put it together as a hobby. Never in a thousands years did I actually expect to use it in combat.

I see... So that's how you ended up with a sword, even though you're an alchemist.

Heh, I've got a ways to go. My instructor was so much better than I am.

You mean you had a teacher, Logy?

Oh, yeah. He was a top-notch swordsman, but he always had a scary look on his face.

I-I see... I've never learned any martial arts, so I have no idea. Do you think it's important ot exercise and practice the way you do?

Escha, you're always helping me out with the apple orchards and such. You do a lot of manual labor. Compared to that, I never really left my atelier for any considerable period of time.

I see... I guess it's good to get some exercise, then. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to move at all!

At the time, I was only doing it because I had to, but now I'm thankful for all that practice. ...If my instructor hadn't dragged me outside to practice, I might've spent my entire career inside.

Huh!? You mean you were THAT much of a homebody?

Logy, I had another question about your swords...

Oh? Feel free to ask.

Well, I watched Linca practice a few times in town, and the way she fights with a sword is so much different than how you fight. So why do you and Linca use swords so differently?

Well, there's a lot of ways to fight with a sword. Linca's method of swordfighting emphasizes powerful slashes and blows, sacrificing speed for power. I never really had time to practice fighting like that, so I had to come up with my own method for swordfighting. Linca's probably a better overall swordsman than I am, so I have to make up for my weaknesses with alchemy.

Yeah, Linca fights a lot differently than you do. Is the sword really that important?

Yes. When you consider a fighting style, you have to take advantage of your strengths and reduce your weaknesses. Linca has a very strong, powerful body, so that kind of sword works for her. A light, fast sword like I use wouldn't work for her, because her body would slow her slashes down. But, even with the difference in our swords and our bodies, I'm sure there's still a lot I can learn from her.

Are you still working on Imbuing?

Yeah. I want to make a new sword, so I've still got a little work to do. Putting the finishing touches on, and...

Nice. Looks like my skills are still fine after all this time. Escha, I'm going to go and get something to eat from Duke's. I'm getting hungry. You should get started on your own work. The Maintenance Division really needs those connectors. See you later.

I think I've made a lot of progress today. Maybe I should take a little break. Oh! That's right... Maybe I'll try to bake that cake recipe that Clone gave me the other day. I'm sure Logy will come back while it's baking... Maybe Miss Marion and Linca will be back, too! Okay, it might be a little big, but I'm gonna do it!

Uh-oh... Maybe I made a little too much. Well, it's always better to have too much cake than not enough! And to top it off...

That was a lot of work. Good thing I got some food from Duke's or I couldn't have helped Marion.

Don't worry, it was nothing. Let's get back to the Atelier and see how Escha's doin--

Wha--what on earth?

Um... What is this?

What the heck are you doing, Escha?

T-This is, um... Well, what happened is... I-It's not what you think!

And how could it not be what we think?

I was just going to taste it before you showed up, you know, to make sure it was good... But it ended up being a lot bigger than I thought, so... I figured I needed to have a bigger taste...

Just stop. I can't bear to listen to any more of your logic.

Isn't that a bit much for "just a taste"?

I-I'm so sorry! Before I knew it, I'd eaten it! I can't believe I ate almost the whole thing! I wanted to share it with everyone, too... Ahhhhhhh...!

Y-Yeah, don't worry about it.

B-But I shouldn't be so greedy, right? It was just so delicious, I-I... Oh, I know! I'll make another one right now, and we can all eat that one together!

You're going to have even more... Maybe you should call it quits on cake for today.

A-Anyway, break time's over! Time to get back to work, you two.

O-Okay... I'll stop for today.

*sigh* Let's get this place cleaned up. We can't do any work like this.

It did look pretty tasty, though. The next time you bake one, save a bit for me, okay?

Yes, absolutely! Next time, we'll all eat it together!

How did she bake that cake...? And where did she find the ingredients?

Escha...

I know, I know, but once I started I just couldn't stop. I love baking so much!

...Clearly. It's just...you should be careful not to get carried away in the future. I know I can't stop your love of sweets, but it would be a big help to me and Marion if you could keep it under control while you're working.

*sigh* I know, I'm sorry...

You don't have to apologize to me. Anyway, I wouldn't mind if you did make that cake again. Just...smaller. I'm sure Marion would like it, too.

Really? It's a promise, then!

(That cake did look really tasty.)

Man that bomb looks powerful. We'll need to make this one as soon as possible. Escha, let's get started on those two delivery assignments. I think we've got enough Distilled Water and glass materials now. We don't need to make new items, actually. All the Glass Cores we picked up should count.

Yes. Do you have business with Marion?

We were going to have her check something, but she doesn't seem to be around.

Marion's out for a meeting. She said to leave anything on her for her desk. If you have a lot of documents for her, I could help you carry them.

That sounds like work we should be doing.

Not at all. The only work I can do here in the office is carrying stuff around. If you two do those jobs too, I won't have anything to do.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen you writing up any paperwork, Linca.

I have a hard time making out small letters... And it's hard to figure out what sentences mean. I can stay up all night on guard duty, but when I start trying to read papers I fall right to sleep.

(How does that happen...?)

I know what you mean. Reading the same things over and over again just gets so old.

So you aren't very good with paperwork... I guess that doesn't leave you with much to do in town.

...So it really isn't good that I can't handle writing documents while I work here. Even if something about your paperwork bothers you, there's nothing I can do to help...

That's not true. Besides, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Even if someone pushes herself to do something she's not good at, she wouldn't get good results. Thus, avoiding work you aren't good at maximizes your efficiency for all the things you are good at...

No, wait. You should try to reduce the number of weaknesses you have. We didn't have enough people here before, but now that you two are here, I can leave all that to you.

Thank you very much. I think I've found a solution to my problems, thanks to you!

What, really? That's good...

From now on, I will only contribute to the Development Division by doing work I'm suited to.

O-Okay. I understand...

I'm not sure if what she's saying makes a whole lot of sense... Do you think she'll be okay?

I'm not sure... Don't you find Linca a little strange?

Strange? How?

Well, her sword-swinging skills are so effective, but she can't even write very well? How does something like that happen? I can understand not being able to write reports well, especially with Solle around, but Linca seems...different somehow.

Maybe she didn't go to school. She could have spent her whole time practicing.

Well, that's a possibility, but... Something about her just seems strange to me. Maybe it's my imagination.

Logy, I want to talk with Threia about something. Go back inside the Hall!

What? Why?

It's Girl Talk. You can't listen to it. It's nothing important. I just wanted to talk to her about something.

You are the strangest person I've ever met. Okay, okay.

Oh, excuse me, I didn't notice... Can I help you?

Huh? Oh, umm... I was just thinking that you're really gorgeous, Threia.

Wow, that's the first time anyone's complimented me like that... Thank you.

Huh!? No one's ever said anything like that to you!? I wouldn't have expected that.

Don't be so surprised. I think it's rare for someone to be able to pay a compliment to someone's face. Also, you're very kind to compliment me, but I think you're quite cute yourself.

No. In fact, I can't even remember the last time a man approached me for something not work-related.

Ahaha, now I think you're just exaggerating. Everyone's probably too intimidated to say so.

I generally stay indoors and read in my free time. Id on't go out on the town often. In fact, I don't interact with others taht much, now that I think about it... It can be such a pain. It's so tiring to speak to others, and worry about their needs... If I could just stay at home all day, I would.

Huuuuuuuuuh!? That's such a waste, though! Wouldn't you get lonely?

Not to mention that because of my thesis, I don't have time to talk to others.

I think the problem is more than just your work. You'll have more fun if you just talk to people!

Yes, yes, yes, Marion doesn't let a day go by without yelling at me to get out more. I AM trying... Don't you have a nice little boyfriend or two in this town? Maybe you could introduce me?

Umm... When you put it like that, I don't think there's anyone I would think of that way...

Haha, I'm just kidding. If you really do have a friend like that, give him to Marion instead of me. She needs a man more than I do. She never learned how to talk to people so she throws herself at her job.

Oh, is that how it works...? W-Well, I'll make sure to remember that... But, Miss Marion looks like she loves her work, too! Maybe she'll get married to work, like you...?

Just don't say that where she can hear you. I think it would be something of a shock to her.

Hmm, maybe she and Marion are friends... They seem to have similar views on life. I hope I can get to know Miss Threia better. She's so smart and beautiful... I hope I can be like her someday. Oh! I should let Logy know that I'm done talking.

So what did you and Threia talk about?

Hehe, it's a secret.

Haha, okay, I won't ask again. By the way, didn't an official at the town entrance want some materials?

Whew, just enough.The water should help the desert village get back some of their water.

And that's the second delivery we needed to do. That was pretty easy.

So what's the current state?

I-I can't tell you! You guys! Please, help me out here!

It should be obvious. I'm researching the history of magic, and its practitioners. To think that it really exists... Once word of this spreads, it will shock the scientific community.

I! TOLD! YOU! It's all a secret, so I can't tell you!

Threia, please stop. Wilbell's helping us, and putting her trust in us. You can't go spreading rumors about this!

Aren't you the least bit interested? This could be the breakthrough of the century.

I understand where you're coming from, Threia, but aren't you being extremely rude to Wilbell? If this information gets out, it would be troublesome for Wilbell's associates as well.

I... I didn't know you were so thoughtful...

Also, she's bad enough at keeping secrets already. We should be doing all we can to minimize the damage.

Hey! I... Yeah, you're probably right.

Hehe, at least she knows.

...I apologize. I wasn't being considerate. We really should avoid publicizing this.

Though, would it be okay to ask you some things on a personal level?

Well, I suppose I could tell you just a little...

Really? Then tell me too, please!

Hmm... No, I can't tell you. You'd probably blab everything to Logy.

Aww, no fair...

Well, that really is your own fault. Although I know a lot, thanks to you.

You aren't interested yourself? Not in things like magical techniques or technical details...?

No, not really. Why, are you offering to teach me?

Hmph... Showing no interest like that is annoying in its own right.

Um... So, is this supposed to be a secret or isn't it!? It's getting hard to tell.

...I wouldn't worry about it too much, Escha. I doubt Wilbell knows, either.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 28, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Escha's tail looks so weird and out of place. And that CG had a really poor angle, you couldn't even see what the characters were reacting to.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
This is a general question to everyone reading the thread, but going forward, what would you like to see more / less of? Right now I kind of have my own ideas what I put priority on, but if there's anything you'd like to see changed, feel free to speak up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Post a few more battle if you can. I wanna get more of a feel for the way the battle system works.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I like what you're doing now. The last update was spot on.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm fine with things as they are I suppose, although maybe a little more about the battles would be nice.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part X: The Sorrowful Memory and Body

Well, we should get back to work. Making the Glorious Note should only take a few days.

Well, we're limited by the quality of ingredients, but now you should be ready to try and make that Dire Bomb when we find the last ingredients. I'm looking forward to seeing how powerful it is.

Sure! Leave it to me.

That's a great result. That's a lot of money for a stipend. We should spend it wisely.

Yeah. It's amazing how much progress we've made in such a short time. I really feel like we're doing some great things with alchemy.

Oh, and Escha, I saw Linca in Marion's office earlier. She was kind of staring off into space. She didn't look very happy at all...maybe we should pay her a visit.

Oh really? Yeah, let's go see her.

Hey, why do you look so down, Linca?

Marion's mad at me again... She always gives me assignments that are too difficult.

It sounds like the work you're given is very serious, Linca.

Basically, they're all unreasonable demands. I've only been able to complete very few of them. I thought I'd made the correct decision this time for sure...

I don't think Marion's being that unreasonable... What kind of work is she giving you?

Well, she gave me a mission to learn how to fill out paperwork.

You mentioned before that you're not very good at that.

Don't you think this is a good opportunity to try and overcome one of your weaknesses? We'll help you.

That's not necessary. I've decided to abandon the mission.

What? You...gave up?

Escha, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah... That's what I told you.

Doing work that you know you're not good at results in minimum efficiency. Therefore, the best decision would be to leave it to someone who's good at it. I told Marion as much. Suddenly, Marion became very angry... Where did I go wrong?

No wonder she got mad... You won't get anything done if you just ignore assignments you don't like.

I believe that it's impossible that i could be better than you two when it comes to filling out paperwork. I have my sword... But I wonder if that's enough to be of use to Marion.

Linca, I think she just wants you to overcome your deficiencies so you can get better at them.

If you reduce your weaknesses, you can accomplish new things that you couldn't do before.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses... I can only see assigning this to me as reckless.

You don't have to be good at everything, but you should try to reduce what you're bad at.

We'll help you, too, so do your best to try writing some reports!

Ugh... Thank you, I'll give it a try...

(I'm not very good at this either, but... I'll do my best to help Linca!) I feel bad for Linca, Logy...

Hmm... I have to say, I agree. She really seems to be struggling with this. Unfortunately, this is something we may have to leave to Marion. We just don't have time to work with Linca about this. Maybe I can speak to her while you're synthesizing sometime.

Really? That would be great!

Alright, let's see what R&D is offering...

These look good. Getting more out of materials, and gathering them faster, will help improve efficiency while working and searching.

Alright, I'm going to try filling that Cotton Shirt assignment. I'm not sure which element gets the increased Defense effect, but I'll experiment a little.

That looks good. Let's see what happens...

Excellent.

Nice job, Logy! That's another down.

Might as well take care of patrolling the Southern Ruins. Apparently they need an additional survey to make sure the expedition team coming will be able to move in peace. Let's get started.

... Escha, do you feel like the...air...around here has changed?

The air?

I don't know...there's something different.

Escha, something is definitely coming! And it's big!

Music: Love the Dragon -Don't Kill the Dragon-

Unbelievable...it's a dragon!

A dragon!?

It doesn't look that strong. Looks like he's pretty hungry, but... Let's make sure we don't get careless.

It's not attacking very much. Maybe it's just desperate and thought we were really easy prey.

Got it!

Looks like it's down. Doesn't look dead, but it's definitely badly wounded. Let's get out of here before it wakes up.

I have to say, it was pretty rare to see a dragon. Dragons are very rare species. I've heard they were nearing extinction, actually.

Why did it come to attack us?

Well, they're a naturally aggressive species, but they mostly stay away from human settlements, as far as I know. It could be we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm just surprised we managed to beat it... Actually, this looks like the Courtyard. Didn't we have to defeat a Nano Slag here?

Yeah. It's that green Slag at the top of the stairs. Let's go get it.

Just one Burst Craft? Those things are a lot more powerful than they look. Let's head to Sector 3 and finish the investigation.

Logy, I found another artifact.

Oh, great. I can show you how the Dismantler works when we get back.

Oh, it's Threia. If she's outside of her study, she has something to talk about. You can ask her about her studies, Escha.

I wouldn't say I was all that fixated on them, but what's wrong with having an interest?

What you're doing goes far beyond what you'd consider normal.

Well... That was blunt. Okay, I'll give you a lesson on what it means to be a historical researcher.

Oh, I'd actually like to know more about that, too. What exactly do you do?

As you know, the peple of the old era, or last generation, had very advanced technology. We have no idea how they made their architectural wonders...or created the strange powers within them. The apple orchard in this town is no exception. It takes advantage of the legacy of the previous era.

That's what Clone said, too. I was hoping she would tell me a lot more about that.

That person was no help. She's very tight-lipped. Probably prohibited to talk about it.

(Prohibited?)

...I see. So that's what's going on.

Huh? What are you talking about?

Don't worry about it. It just means that it won't be easy to learn all about the old era.

And, it's your responsibility to reproduce these artifacts used in the old era. While my responsibility is to understand the reasoning behind these tools, cultures, and such.

Well, we have no idea how they lived back then. Their entire lives could have been different from ours.

Why would you say that? How can you say that they're completely unlike us? Uncovering the differences between their culture and ours helps us to understand the truth. So what if they had advanced technology? In the end, they might not be that different from us.

I-I suppose...

Even after we re-discovered alchemy, we've only begun to scratch the surface of the truth. We can barely reproduce some of the artifacts from back then. But I believe one day we'll surpass them. We can't follow in their footsteps. Whatever they did, it led them to their own destruction. Before our alchemists advance too far, we need to understand the lives of the people from that time.

I... I see... Wh-What should we do? Miss Threia looks really angry...

...You're the one who made her angry. You take care of it.

Hey, are you two even listening to me!? Oh, this is why I can't handle official workers...

I think we're going off on a tangent... Oh boy, this is going to be long. Escha, let's just get out of here. Threia looks distracted right now.

S-Sure...let's get out of here...

Ah, Clone... Is something the matter? Do you need something at the branch?

Oh, there's nothing bothering me, actually...

Really? Then what are you doing here?

Hm? What's the matter, Clone?

Oh, Logy. There's something I've been wanting to ask you.

Okay...? Please, go ahead.

How is Escha doing at her job?

Huh!? Y-You can't just ask someone that right out of the blue!

Whenever Escha returns from work, all she'll say is that she had fun. That hardly seems like a job... I fear that she may be spending her hours idling, or playing about... That's why I came to check on her.

That's not true! I'm working really hard, too!

I understand your concern, but she's actually very helpful. In fact, I owe her a few debts. Without Escha, we wouldn't be able to Synthesize successfully, which is key to what we do.

Y-You don't have to praise me that much... You're making me blush!

Oh, I see, then... If you say so, Logy, then I shall believe you. Well then, if you'll excuse me. Escha... Be sure not to cause Logy too much trouble, okay?

It sounds like she's just worried about you. That's a good thing, you know? Now that I've raised up your expectations, it's time to get to work. Let's not disappoint Clone!

Ahh! Wh-Why do I feel like you planned this all along...? Hey Logy, did you say all that to make Clone go away?

Not at all. I meant every word.

Oh... Oh thanks! I hope I can keep the hard work up.

I'm sure you can. Now then, can you give me that Spray?

We just take the artifacts we find on our expeditions, put them into the Dismantler, then...

It breaks down the artifacts into the ingredients that make them up. The reason we want to do this is to be able to use the ingredients, and the traits that are on them, and put them onto new items. We can use Distilled Water in more syntheses than we can use a Spray. That's basically it.

That really is incredible technology...

You made the Lightning Bomb, huh? Doesn't have the "Piercing" effect on it, though.

No... I guess I'll have to try again.

Looks like the highest Earth-elemental effect is what did it. That's one more.

I should be careful around this bomb...looks kind of scary.

What does that one do?

Well, my book says it digs into the ground and throws a huge amount of soil up at the target really quickly. Kind of like a small earthquake.

Let's take care of that Steel Skin in the mountain atelier. We sure have to do a lot for this assignment.

There are fallen walls around here, so you may be right.

Did you discover something new?

Hmm... Not yet, anyway.

Oh, I see. If you make any big discoveries, let me know, too.

We don't always find something huge. Have you found anything, Katla?

It looks like a plant from around here, but it's a little different from usual.

I know, right? It has a very strange air about it.

Looks like you found something interesting. This may be a rare item.

Yes! I found more, so I'll share some with you.

Thanks. It's strange, though, that there are so many plants growing in an abandoned building like this.

Now that you mention it... This area is very green compared to the other ruins.

Does it seem to you like the buildings here were some sort of plantation? There are many plants, and it looks like they've been growing here since before it was abandoned.

That would be a good explanation for why there are so many plants.

Yeah, right? Don't you think my intuition is pretty sharp?

You might be a better fit for this job than you realize, Katla.

Oh! I never thought I'd get such an endorsement from Logy. I might be able to get a job doing this, then.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. You have a lot of studying to do first.

I agree that investigative work could suit you, too.

Hee hee, thank you very much. Oh, there are strange plants growing over here, too!

Hey, don't run off! Ugh, she's so easily distracted.

I think her curiosity makes her well suited to this work, though. But it's definitely true that you need to be focused, too. Still, though, her abilities do surprise me sometimes.

Beasts' lair

There it is. Let's get him.

These monsters...look really dangerous...

Logy...what was with those monsters at the end?

I don't know, but we should probably get out of here before more show up.

Good idea... I'm still tired...

Music: Adventurer's Bolero

You travel around many different places, don't you, Harry?

Indeed! I've traveled far and wide, over mountains and valleys, from the far reaches of the east. I'm expanding my views by exploring various places and finding rare things.

Hmm, you say you came from the east? You've come from a very distant place.

What kinds of rare things have you found?

Let's see... Have you ever seen a ruined tower, reaching far into the sky? Taller than you can imagine, its top lost in the heavens... The fact that it has lasted for so long is a mystery.

(That's amazing!)

I've never heard of any such structure...

Because of that, I've seen a forest so thick with trees that not a ray of sunlight can penetrate its top. I regret that there was no place to land my balloon. I would have loved to explore that place.

A dark forest... It sounds scary...

There may have been ancient ruins sleeping within the hidden depths of that forest. Doesn't the mere thought of it pique your scholarly interest?

You're right! Investigating a place like that would be very exciting!

Hey, hey, don't forget that it would be for work.

It doesn't matter! It's the best thing if an explorer, paid to explore, has a deep love for it. I've relaxed in natural hotsprings, nestled with a snow-blanketed Homunculus village. I've also seen mysterious, enormous bones at the ends of the desert. They were quite beautiful...

...Doesn't it sound a little too amazing to be believed?

You're being very skeptical, Logy! I think you should have some hopes and dreams about the unknown.

That's right. Logy, you don't dream enough!

Is it really that bad? I guess it would be fun to have some...

Hm, very well. Allow me to do something to invoke a sense of hope and wonder into you, Logy. I'll find a place that surprises you both. Please, prepare your minds for the grandeur of the world!

Do your best, Mr. Harry. I really do look forward to it!

...Just don't push yourself too hard.

This...isn't right.

What's the matter, Logy?

I still see a lot of dust and filth from your baking earlier. I really need to clean this place up.

I don't think it's that-

I just...can't work like this. I need to clean this place up. Escha, why don't you leave for a bit? I think Marion needed some help, anyway.

Um...okay...

I think I'll take a quick break, and finish my remaining work later. Maybe I'll clean the place up a bit.

How did dust get in here...? There's dust in a place like this...

...What exactly are you doing?

Oh, I was just taking a moment to clean up around here. Wait, Branch Chief Grumman! Why are you here?

I'm making a regular check of all the departments. So, are you finished with all your work?

Uh, well, I was going to finish after I was done with this...

So you still have some left!

(Crap!) Yes! Sorry sir!

Listen, I don't mind if you take a break once in a while. Everybody needs to have a change of pace. However, you should try to time it for when you finish your work. You're still on the clock.

It's just, when I have a lot of work to do, I get this urge to make sure the workplace is clean...

Don't make excuses!

Sorry! I won't do it again!

Just be careful next time. I'll be taking my leave.

...That was scary. I should hurry up and finish my work. Escha is still going to be out for a bit...I need to hurry up and finish before she gets back.

How did she get filth everywhere? Escha is in a league of her own when it comes to messy cooking. But...I've made some good progress. I suppose I deserve a little break. Huh...? Is it a little dusty in here? I can't really remember the last time we cleaned. Guess I'll tidy things up a little, just as a change of pace. I was so worried about the cauldron area I forgot about the rest of the atelier. Let's keep going...

Okay, the dust is wiped up, and everything's been organized. I bet Escha'll be surprised to see this. Hmm... While I'm at it, I should probably clean the floor, too. If only I could use alchemy to clean, things would be so much faster...

I left everything in Logy's hands again while I was gone... I hope he's not too angry with me. R-Right... I'd better apologize to him!

Music: Remorse

drat... I really wish she hadn't seen me with my shirt off.

Eek! E-Excuse me...! W-Were you changing!?

N-No, I was...moving around a lot, and I got sweaty, so... I mean, you were gone for a while, Escha.

I-I'm sorry! I was helping out Miss Marion, and I... Hold on, what were you doing in here, Logy?

Ah, right. I was cleaning the place up. It was a little messier than I thought, so... I mean, these stains on the floor look pretty old, and they wouldn't come out.

W-Wow, you were really thorough... You must really like having a clean workspace.

It's more like... I don't like to leave things half-done.

...! Did you see it?

Only a little... That's a huge scar, though... Did you burn yourself?

...Something like that. There was an accident, a long time ago.

I see... I don't really know what to say, but, I, um... I really don't mind it...

Sorry... I'm going to go change right away.

Y-Yes...

No, it's my fault for barging in like that... There's nothing wrong with having a wound or two. (But those burns looked really bad...) W-Whoa! The Atelier is so clean! Thank you very much...

...Sorry, I'm going to go get some fresh air.

Ah--- L-Logy, please wait...!

Please, wait--! Ah... I'm going to enjoy the fresh air with you!

...You don't have to do this, you know.

No, I can't let it end like that! C'mon, let's go...!

Fine, but... It really doesn't bother me. Please, don't sweat it.

Now, now, now, don't worry! Where should we go...?

(Man... I'm an awful person.) Okay... But Escha, I didn't want to keep it a secret. It's just...it's not a very happy memory.

I understand... I won't ask about it again, but if you ever want to tell me, Logy, I'm more than happy to listen to whatever you say. Does it hurt at all?

When I got it, it certainly did. Now, though, it doesn't. If my body gets really hot or something, that can make it start hurting again, but please, it really doesn't bother me. Don't worry about it.

Okay... How about we go to Katla's shop? I want to see if she's gotten any more customers.

That's fine with me. I'm sorry if you're worried about me, Escha, but please, don't. It happened a long time ago and I'd really like to forget about it.

Man, but this is...

What are you doing? Can't you see you're bothering Katla?

Y'see... My old money pouch broke after several years of use. I'm trying to find a replacement, but there's nothing out there that fits my budget.

I see... Oh, what about that one? It looks pretty wallet-friendly.

Is it that expensive? It seems a fair price to me...

You sure? Man, if it was a little cheaper, I might be able to afford it...

I told you already! I can't go down any more!

Oh, c'mon, I know you can do better...one more time.

No way...I couldn't!

Now, don't say that... You know I'm a repeat customer, so do me a favor on this one!

(I can't tell if he's shrewd or just stubborn...)

No, I get it... Fine. You can have it for the price you wanted. THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT, ISN'T IT!?

That's what I'm talkin' about. You're gonna grow up really pretty, young girl.

Wow, I've never seen anyone try to shop like that. You're a difficult customer.

Oh, c'mon. This kid saw me walkin' down the street and tried to sell me trash for the price of gold. I had to give her a lesson about how tough the real world can be. In business, the selfish always win.

Really? You're going to gloat about bartering with a child? If you're done, just let her go.

Okie-doke. See you, li'l cowpoke. I'll be comin' 'round your shop again.

Mr. Reyfer's really stingy... If he's a treasure hunter, why is he so broke?

He looks for treasure because he has no money, and he has no money because he's always out looking...

Oooooooh, I get it... Why doesn't he just get a job?

He just seems the type who doesn't want to do anything that doesn't interest him. I wonder if he ever has had a job... Anyway, don't we need to go get some Glass Cores from the Old Highway? I think that was our last assignment.

Oh, yeah... I think I saw some near the end of the old railroad tracks. Let's go!

That's that... Wait, something doesn't seem right...

Logy, something's coming! It's coming from the sky!

Blood Saber

I've never seen a slag like this before...

Logy, what is this!?

Escha, don't worry. Just keep calm and we can win!

We need to be extra cautious with this one. He is really powerful, and this model of slag... I've never even read about something that looks like this.

Man this thing is dangerous...

I've got this!

That was amazing, Logy!

Stay focused!

I'm counting on you, Escha. Let's see what you can do.

Nice job. Never knew you had it in you.

We got it!

Yikes...I never expected a slag like that.

Logy, you said the slags were made with alchemy, right? Why did the people of the past need dangerous slags like that?

I don't know... I can understand usings slags as weapons to fight monsters when they were exploring new areas, but slags like that... It's too much. Between this slag and that tank slag we encountered a few months ago, I'm beginning to wonder more and more about them.

Yeah, what kind of slags are out there? We've only seen a small part of the wilderness around Colseit... I'm starting to get scared about going further out.

Don't worry about it. As long as you keep improving your abilities, and making stronger items with alchemy, I'm sure we can handle whatever we find. C'mon, let's head back to the atelier.

This was a busy assignment. I sure am glad I had your help, Logy.

Don't mention it. Just let me turn in the last report.

I can't believe it's already been a year since we started working for the branch.

I was really afraid we weren't going to make it in the beginning, but I feel a lot better now.

I'm glad you're getting used to the job. How is your blimp holding up? Have you been able to use it?

Awin has been helping us maintain it, so we have no problem insofar as getting it to move.

Thanks to that, we can go to places that are really far away. I think we can investigate even further!

Ah, perfect. I was told that the blimp was in no condition to fly, so I'm glad it's back in service.

It's just... With that blimp we only have a limited range of areas we can investigate.

Yes, well... I suppose there aren't any issues for now, but we'll need to think of a solution to that.

Are you going to buy us a new blimp, Miss Marion!?

Even in its current condition, it's adequate for our needs at the moment.

Now, then... Let's shift gears and talk about hwo you did over the last period. Splendid work! The villagers gave us their sincerest thanks. I've been getting letters from them.

That's great! I guess they were able to pull through from their situation!

Helping one another is the key. As the R&D Division, I'm glad we could take on a variety of tasks.

It feels really nice to be able to help someone, and not just do research or investigations all day.

Yes, but it still doesn't make sense that their water would suddenly dry up like that...

All right, this is your assignment for the next period.

Are we going to investigate the cause of the drought?

That's right. That village supposedly had a huge water supply. Perhaps something happened to it. If this drought were to come to Colseit, it would be a huge problem for all of us.

Yeah, this doesn't sound like something we can ignore. We got it!

Also, I must warn you that several dangerous monsters have been sighted in the area. This investigation may be a tad dangerous, so I want you to exercise extreme caution.

Understood. I guess we need to prepare ourselves for what's ahead.

Heh heh, I can see your concern. Sending people out on missions doesn't leave many here to work...

...That's not funny, boss. Why did you laugh just now? What are you plotting?

That's awfully sudden. If only you'd told us sooner...

Oh, don't give me that. The process took a while, and I didn't want to tell you until I was 100% certain.

We're going to have another person on our team, huh...? I wonder what they're going to be like!

...Having said that, your new partner should be here any minute. What's the holdup?

The clumsy medic
Music: G-protein Covered Receptor

Ah, yeah, it is... Would you happen to be...?

Ah! Miss Marion! I, uh... I left really early, but I didn't know where the branch office was, so... I asked someone walking by, and the next thing I knew I was at the airship depot, and then...

Yes, yes, yes, before we get into the sob story about you're being late, you need to apologize. Right?

Ah... I, I'm sorry...

You're so helpless. Anyway, as this is your first day on the job, why don't you introduce yourself?

Y-Yes. My name is Lucille Ernella. I've been assigned to R&D. Umm...I look forward to working with you!

"Ernella"? Isn't that the name of that big medical company back in Central? Nah...must be a coincidence.

I want you two to take really good care of her, okay? I've got a meeting, so give her the tour.

Got it. We'll show her around.

Lucille, listen to these two, and learn how to do your work here. Whoops... I'm going to be late!

Umm, what do you want me to do now...?

Oh, uh, right. My name is Escha, and this is Logy, and... Listen, can we talk normally now?

O-Of course. What do the two of you do?

We're alchemists. Most of the time we're in the atelier, so you can come by there whenever you want.

Wow, you have an atelier, too? Could I go take a look at it?

Sure, but is it really that interesting to you?

I'm studying medicine, so I wanted to learn more about different herbs, and alchemy...

Interesting. But if you're studying medicine... Are you from Central City?

Yes, though my grades weren't stellar, so I wouldn't say that I'm fully-trained yet...

Ahahaha, don't worry about it. We're all still learning here.

I come from Central City as well. I'm sure you have a lot of questions. Feel free to ask us.

Y-Yes...! Thank you so much for the chance to work with you! I'll be the best assistant you've ever had!

Wow... All right, Lucille! Leave it to us! I'm going to show you EVERYTHING there is to see in this place!

Yes, Miss Escha!

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 28, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Bonus Update 2

Artwork:

Escha and Logy artwork
Threia artwork
Reyfer artwork
Harry artwork
Lucille artwork
Scars of the Past
Big Eater
Imbuing Background
Imbuing In Progress
Plaza artwork
Dragon Fist Tavern artwork
Balloon Docks artwork
Apple Orchard artwork

As mentioned in the last bonus update, each episode of the anime had a special ending card done by a random artist. I'll be including these now, but in the future, if a link ends with "Ending card", it's from an episode of the anime. Also, now that I've seen a little of the artwork in the artbook, I'm going to have to get the artbooks for Ayesha and Escha and post scans of all the nice concept art and artwork. The last image is to a magazine cover with art by hidari and the artist who did episode 4's ending card.

Episode 1 ending card
Episode 2 ending card
Episode 3 ending card
Episode 4 ending card
Magazine cover featuring Escha

Music:

Love the Dragon -Don't Kill the Dragon-
Many games feature dragon slaying, but nowadays it feels like any good dragon fight requires a choral piece, so I tried adding many choral parts to this track. (Shimoda)

Chance Meeting
Opa! No, this word isn't used very much. "Yesterday I had an encounter with Sakamoto!" would be a strange thing to say. The soft bass and ethnic sounding bouzouki were played by Dani. (Achiwa)

To the Land Without a Name
I wrote a pretty standard tune again-- However it feels less like watching the "Marco" movies alone, and more like being with friends. (Achiwa)

Achiwa's mentioned the name "Marco" a few times, but I've always been a bit confused what he was talking about. Turns out he's talking about an anime series called "3000 Leagues in Search of Mother", which stars a boy named Marco and is called "Marco" in some countries. That's the only thing related to the name "Marco" I could find that relates to movies. Between Marco, PreCure, and that baseball anime he talked about in Ayesha's composer commentaries, seems Achiwa is fond of anime.

At the Foot of the Hill
This tune is for a field map, not a town, yet I didn't want it to sound very dangerous. (Achiwa)

Adventurer's Bolero
Harry's theme. I really like this guy. I think the ability to find value in things most people couldn't is a great skill. Certain people who find faults in everything could learn a lot from him. (Achiwa)

Belly's Bullet
Reyfer's theme. Dani's country slide guitar and bluesy electric guitar are great! When I first saw this character's illustrations, I thought he was a super-ultra-sexy-samurai-gunman. (Achiwa)

Lady of the Mist
Threia's theme. She is quite the fascinating type. The rustic flute interlude sounds like Ukkari Hachibe, so I really like it. (Achiwa)

G-protein Covered Receptor
Lucille's theme song. I tried making a soothing, relaxing tune for her. Like sitting in the sunlight with a cat, while sipping coffee. (Shimoda)

A Curious Shop for the Curious
For Katla's theme, I wanted it to feel like a toybox, full of fun and strange objects that could come jumping out. (Shimoda)

I mentioned last time, but Katla's theme doesn't seem to be on the actual, physical OST for this game, but it is in the game. It's a pretty good theme, I have to say.

The Story of the Sky, the Balloon, and the Climate Geomorphological Sun
I wanted this track to convey the feelings of excitement and nervousness while setting out on a journey. I mixed in polyrhythmic marimbas, along with Mellotron strings to add a progressive flavor, and I think the result is a pretty catchy tune. (Shimoda)

Remorse
"Regret" sounds like "cultivation" in Japanese. It reminds me of the Privatization of Reclaimed Lands in Perpetuity. The prior Three Generations One Body Law sounds like the ability a third generation hero would use to transform and power up. (Achiwa)

Alone in a Room by Yourself
A very lonely feeling. If I listen to a track like this while looking at a middle-aged man, for some reason I start to think he was laid off. BGMs can really change perspective. (Achiwa)

Let's Go, Development Team!
A circus march that plays during a certain event. I go to see plays and musicals every once in a while, but I've never gone to see a circus. Plus, I see that clowns appear often in horror, so they have a scary image to me. I would still like to go at least once, however... (Yanagawa)

Kaiyuugyuo no Genfuukei (Landscape of Migratory Fish)
The song played when acquiring the balloon, from Nasu Asako's first album "Landscape". This song is the only track not specifically written for this game. We felt the music and Nasu's voice matched so well, we simply had to ask her to feature it here. (Okamura)

Apparently Okamura likes her voice, since she's in this game and has a track in Shallie.

Treasure
During April Fools', I got very excited when a certain website turned their map into a treasure map. All men always have a part of them that remains a kid. (Yanagawa)

Please Hold My Hand in Yours
The feeling here is like holding hands at a crowded festival, so you don't become separated. I did corny things like this a long time ago... Too bad it was only with another guy. (Yanagawa)

Documents:

Balloon
Hot air balloons in this region run on wind power and simple engines. Skill is required to control them.

Official Alchemy
The new alchemy techniques are a result of special research. It requires highly specific tools.

Imbuing Device
An alchemy technique that transfers material effects without destroying them to strengthen items.

Disassembly Device
A specialized device that analyzes items for their material composition and disassembles them.

Airship
The latest in transportation. No evidence of such vehicles existing in the past age has been found.

Monster
Creatures that attack humans. Despite a massive eradication effort their numbers are increasing.

Spirit
A mysterious group of powerful creatures that dwells within nature. Most view humans as enemies.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 21, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
This setting reminds me a lot of the Ar Tonelico setting, though humanity isn't as hosed here as they are in the Ar series.

In fact, the presence of a ruined tower that stretches into the heavens seems like a nod to Ar Tonelico. Maybe some new disaster caused the towers to shut down and the art of song magic was lost? :v:

In any case, Gust really likes their post-apocalyptic revival settings.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tarezax posted:

In any case, Gust really likes their post-apocalyptic revival settings.

Judging by Ar Nosurge, it's become their go-to setting.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
On a less good note, this is quickly turning into one of those pages of my threads, so I'm going to post at most only more update as long as we're on page three.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Even though I don't post very often in your threads, thank you for the hard work with these games.

I love the series, but can't play most of them since I don't own a PS3.

Also, I really hope we save that poor town :ohdear:.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Judging by Ar Nosurge, it's become their go-to setting.

They do a decent job with it, at least as far as Atelier goes. There's always some looming threat, but it's way off in the distance. Synth, kill monsters and have fun in the mean time.
It's a nice change from the usual misery that comes with post-apocalyptic settings.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
The music for this game and for Ayesha is so lovely. Although to be honest I prefer Ayesha's soundtrack right now. Are there any songs similar in style/tempo to say, Slag Dance in this game?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Logy was distraught about getting caught shirtless... but he was wearing a shirt? I didn't see any burn marks in that picture, either. Did we get a censored version of a shirtless dude for some reason?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The burn marks are on his arm, so I'm guessing it's getting caught without his long-sleeved shirt.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Raitzeno posted:

Logy was distraught about getting caught shirtless... but he was wearing a shirt? I didn't see any burn marks in that picture, either. Did we get a censored version of a shirtless dude for some reason?

The burn is the giant brown thing on his elbow.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Raitzeno posted:

Logy was distraught about getting caught shirtless... but he was wearing a shirt? I didn't see any burn marks in that picture, either.

Well, it's not on his chest:

Maybe we're supposed to assume Escha was checking him out first and then noticed his arm? :v: Your guess is as good as mine.

Raitzeno posted:

Did we get a censored version of a shirtless dude for some reason?

Well, Tecmo Koei did buy out Gust with the stated plan of turning Atelier into a "social game" series, and Eschatology was the first one they had direct influence over as I understand it (there's no really creepy stuff like the tentacle scene in Totori, for example). So I imagine they're experimenting with the formula a bit to try to get women more interested, since when publishers talk about social/casual gaming, that's usually what they mean.

'Course, judging from the next one, it looks like Gust is back to its old tricks, at least as far as main characters go. :shrug:

Anyway, fun LP, Sylphid. I'm playing this one currently, actually (struggling through NG+ since it's too easy to keep me hooked for long, though, heh). If you need more :words: to move pages along, I can chip in every now and then.

Edit: Scooped! Well, a picture's worth a thousand words, right...?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The odd thing to me about Shallie having two female protagonists is that Logy as a character went over pretty well, at least among people who play these games. Just as an example, I referred to a popularity poll in the first Bonus Update, and in it, Wilbell placed first, Linca second, and Logy third. Wilbell and Linca have already had a game, so they kind of had a built-in fanbase, but apparently people liked Logy quite a bit.

Granted, I don't know what market research head told Gust two female protagonists would be a good idea, but it's not like I'm thinking it was a bad idea. I'll just have to play Shallie myself when it gets released in English and see for myself how it worked out. If I were Gust right now, the best move for the Atelier series now is to have a longer development time than usual for the next game, whether it's a sequel to Shallie or not, have it on the PS4, and just really go all out in making it a gigantic package. I'd wait 2+ years to see a PS4 Atelier if it was made into a real event kind of game that gets a lot of mainstream attention.

But then again, I don't want the formula to drastically change to attract a newer audience. Despite the fact these games are largely cut from the same cloth, I've had a lot of fun with each and every one of them so far.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ayesha had very little in the way of fanservice too, compared to other Gust games.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hasn't the Atelier series always had a large female audience?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, I'm pretty sure the Atelier Games always had a sizeable female fanbase and the fanservice helps to keep the creepy otakus interested.

I've tore through the Atelier games on the archives, played Annie and other non-PS3 exclusive gust games and wished more of them had been released stateside or given fan translations.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Ayesha didn't need any fanservice with a soundtrack like that, holy poo poo.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XI: The Passionate Gofer and Team

I hope she'll be okay. Lucille, I mean.

I'm sure she will! I remember I was so scared my first time coming here as a government employee a year ago. She just needs some time to get used to how to help us.

I hope you're right. Anyway, we should make a tour of the town before we start heading to the river's source.

Tiny helpers

What do you have for us?

It's about what I said earlier, about the homunculi... It seems we finally have some breathing room. As promised, I will send some resources your way. You may submit your requests for work.

It's so cute!

What is R&D...doing...?

Whoa, we can really use them however we want? Can I squeeze him and cuddle him and take a nap?

What does "squeeze" mean... Is it like working? Squeeze... What should I do?

Now, please, don't start putting strange ideas into their heads. I need you to follow guidelines when working with Provisions to foster a stress-free environment.

Here comes the trouble... Well, I don't suppose we have a choice, now do we?

We still get to work together with the homunculi, right? I'm starting to get excited!

Do you remember how they worked? They're homunculi, they don't want money.

Of course! They want the snacks Solle has been giving us for completing request, and in return, they can make any item we currently have, or gather any material we have in storage.

(Escha only remembers these kinds of things when it comes to cute things). Right. But we have a lot of sweets. What if we gave them more?

Obviously, more homunculi would work on our requests! So if we really need something, we should give them more sweets.

That's my guess. It'll be a lot of help to have the homunculi gather rare materials, or make items we use a lot. We should make good use of them.

I wish I had a homunculi of my own...

Hey, Nio... Do you have some business at this store?

Oh, yes. I was wondering what I should buy...

Ah, Ms. Nio and Ms. Wilbell are some of my best clients!

I see... So I guess the item selection is pretty rare for someone out of town...

Yes, yes, yes, that's exactly what this is. I get a lot of traffic from customers like them. What do you think of this wonderful little piece right here? It was recently dug up from a ruin.

Really... That looks like a fake to me, actually.

Huh!? I-Impossible! I was told that it's a crystal created with ancient technology!

Hmm... But it looks like junk to me.

Now that you mention it, this is definitely not an artifact. In fact, it looks more like...

A bunch of random stuff smashed together?

Yeah, definitely. At the very least, it was made relatively recently.

P-Please, wait a moment. You don't mean to tell me that this is a fake!? I don't understand...

Ahahaha... But you seem to know a lot about these, Ms. Nio. You could tell with just one glance.

That's impressive. And the person selling them has no idea how to tell a rock from a diamond... Haha.

Ughhhh... Fine, I don't deny it! And my best merchandise might not be the best...!

I'm not saying that, now. After all, you do have some things here clearly marked below market value.

(She's right. Maybe Katla's just inexperienced when it comes to pricing. This isn't the first time this has happened, either.)

Huh? What did you just...!

LIke that ancient book you sold me the other day. Anywhere else would have been much more expensive. That's why I like this store, actually...

Wait a second! I'm losing out here! Why didn't you tell me that before!?

I-I never knew...

Hahaha... Maybe we've been missing out on some rare finds ourselves.

Say, Nio... Is there something that you recommend?

Hmm, let's see. Well, out of these...

Waaaah! No, stop that! Just tell me quietly! There's no need to share it with the whole world!

Katla didn't have to chase us away like that...

Yeah...she's a lot stronger than you'd think.

My oh my... I would not have expected someone of your stature to express such doubt. What happened?

It's nothing... Rather, the problem is that there's nothing. All I do is simple pen-and-paper work. Sometimes, I wonder if anything I've done is for the better...and if this is the path for my life.

Well, you have been the manager for a few years. Peoples' lives have stabilized, to be certain. Some of your initiatives to support peoples' daily lives are finally beginning to gain traction. I believe you have been making appropriate decisions, compared to past managers. Please be confident.

Sorry. I didn't expect that to turn into a litany of complaints.

Not at all... Please, come by anytime you like.

What would the branch manager be doing talking to Clone?

I don't know. Maybe she can tell us.

I just walked past the branch manager... Were you two talking about something?

Because I've been in Colseit for so long, I have taken on the responsibility of chief's adviser.

I see... Of course you'd out-live the branch managers...

That's actually pretty amazing when you think about it. Did you know Mr. Grumman when he was younger?

Yes. He has been working towards his goal of making the town better for thirty years now.

Thirty years... I can't even imagine what this place must have looked like back then.

Has he changed much since then?

He was quite stern, though, and his coworkers approached him with fear. He's softened up quite a bit.

Heh heh, if you know that much about him, I can see why he can't really stand up against you.

I may not know much about events outside of town, but I likely know all about anyone raised here. Seeing children grow into adults, then seeing them raise their own children... The constant cycle. One of my joys is to look into the eyes of children grown and raised in this wonderful town.

Whoaaa! I never thought about it like that, but the more you tell the story, the more real it gets.

Escha... When do you plan on having children of your own?

When Milia was your age, she was already spending most of her time with Faul. You're your mother's daughter... I would have expected you to have a couple of suitors, by now.

R-Really...!? B-But, isn't it just a little too soon... (Help me, Logy!)

(Got it.) *Ahem* I don't think whatever you're trying to do is going to work on her...

My oh my... I suppose it will still be a while before I can see any children from you...

(Oh, she's always teasing me like that... But I guess she has been watching the town for a long time.)

Heh.

What is it, Logy?

Oh, it's Clone. She jokes around a lot more than you'd expect an automaton to do. She's incredibly lifelike.

Awww, it's not like that! She always talks that about me.

It's only because she cares about you. She thinks you're old and mature enough to joke around with and understand that she doesn't really mean it.

You think so? But she can be mean to me sometimes...

I'm sure it's only because she expects a lot from you. You've more than shown in the past year you're capable of great things.

Yeah, I guess you're right. That makes me feel a lot better, Logy.

I'm glad to hear it. Now, can you go get Lucille ready to go? I'm about ready to go.

Sure. I'll meet you back in front of the branch office. I'll tell Lucille to meet us there in an hour.

Y-Yes, I did. That's strange... Maybe she got the time wrong...?

I'm sorry! I'm so late...

I forgot to get ready ahead of time... Oh, I should've packed last night. I'm so, so sorry...

It took you that long? Do you have that much stuff that you need to bring with you?

Yes! Medicine for upset stomachs, and painkillers...and some anti-itching ointment, as well.

Y-You brought all that? I suppose they might come in handy, but...

But you never know what will happen on investigations, right? I thought I should at least bring these... If you ever need any medicine, Miss Escha, please don't hesitate to ask!

Hmm... Well, if things get that bad, I probably will ask for some. Thanks, Lucille.

Don't tell me you packed nothing but medicine!

Huh? Wh-What else would you need me to bring?

I mean, there are a lot of things to bring along. Isn't bringing nothing but medicine...extreme?

Ooooooooooh. I see now. Oh no, I forgot everything else! I'm going to go get it ready right away!

...We can only pray she doesn't forget anything else this time.

Oh, Logy, Katla said she has a lot of inventory from our last adventure, so she'll be staying behind this time. Also, Brother said he had some important work on the docks with Heizman, so he'll be staying behind, too. But, Ms. Wilbell will be coming along.

So Wilbell's back, huh? It's probably a good idea to take Lucille with us, though. She wants to help, but we definitely need to keep an eye on her.

Her bag is a little weak, though... Logy, can you make a new one?

Sure, but this was a little tricky. The specs she gave me for making the bag are really exact...

It's called a "syringe".

Okay, but what does it do?

You put medicine in this part here, and then you can pierce the skin with the needle to inject it.

Huuuuuh!? Is that what it does?

Apparently she found something similar in a ruin, and modified it for more everyday use.

But, doesn't it hurt if you stab someone with this!?

I guess it's still being researched, and hasn't been approved for use on humans yet. Right now it does more harm than good. Let the researchers in Central City do more work on it. I guess that's why Lucille is using them. They're disposable, and can really hurt if you throw them really hard. Still, it's a little inefficient...

What about you Escha? If you got sick, would you want to use a syringe to help you get better?

No way! I would never let them use something like this on me, even if it DOES get approved.

Don't be like that. If they manage to make it work, we can cure so many more diseases than before!

Ahhh... Maybe so, but just the thought of stabbing it into your skin like that is just... Ugh!

I can see what you mean, but syringes are going to become a lot more popular when the researchers in Central City approve them. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I'll just use alchemy to make medicine...

Alright, I made an upgrade to her bag's design. She should be able to carry more syringes now. Even Lucille should be ready by now. Did you finish your synthesis, Escha?

Ummm...

The young master

Music: Too Late

Wh-What was that for!? You scared me...

I completely forgot... Miss Marion asked me for a report summarizing our budget and expenses!

(What? I thought she finished that a week ago.) Oh, boy... C'mon now. Are you going to be okay? Seriously?

Ummm... Probably. It'll be all right if it's just a little late, right?

With that attitude, Solle's gonna scold you again...

I will not allow it to get to that point!

Music: Stretch

...A child?

U-Umm... Who might you be?

(His outfit is so fancy... I wonder if he has a rich family.)

Ah...! I-I apologize for barging in without salutations. My name is Micie Sun Mussemburg. As of today, I have been assigned to Colseit as its Governmental Inspector. Greetings to you both.

(This child is from the Mussemburg family? I've never even seen an aristocrat from Central before.) A-An inspector...? You're kidding, right?

Does that means you're a government worker, like us?

Yes, I work for the government, like you, though my own duties are quite different from yours. Is it your job to ensure the city is being managed properly, and to investigate the ruins. Correct? My task is to ensure that you two adhere to rules and regulations, and report any suspicious activity.

B-But we'd never do anything suspicious...!

Says the person who just now volunteered to break regulation in submitting a budget report late.

(But why would Central send out an inspector now? Something doesn't seem right.)

Ah...! I-I'm sorry...

You're pretty young for an inspector. You sure you're up for the job?

True, one could argue that I am inexperienced. I may even be a source of trouble in the future.... HOWEVER! I intend to meticulously enforce this branch's rules to ensure there are no hinderances.

...I take it back. You're much more mature than Escha.

No offense taken. Your concerns are valid, and thus I intend to devote myself entirely to this branch.

(Wah! Where did he get that rose?)

...I have absolutely nothing to add. This kid's good.

I'll be more careful, Mr. Muss... Mussem...borg?

There is no need to behave so formally towards me, as I am so young. Please address me casually. Now, then, I must continue my rounds to the other departments, so if you'll excuse me.

R-Really...!? U-Um, do your best...

I've never met anyone who goes so by-the-book, even in Central City.

(He seems a little strange, but he's really mature for his age... Are all inspectors like him?)

But...if Central is sending out an inspector, it may mean they're about to do something.

Do something? What would they do?

Well, it's not that having an inspector at a branch office present is odd for Central. I've always been a bit confused why no one from Central was here monitoring the work that goes on around here. Now that someone is here, I was just thinking Central might be planning on doing something here.

Wow Logy, you know so much about them.

Well, I did grow up there. Anyway, make sure you give Lucille her new bag, and we should get going.

Wait, Traveler's Rations? Is that what you were working on before Micie came in?

Yeah. I read they were really tasty snacks, so it might be nice to bring some of them along with us.

Marion told us it might be really dangerous... It's a good idea to be prepared.

Before we go, can we put in a couple of orders with the homunculi? We'll be leaving town anyway.

Right. We probably still have time.

There's so many options...we should definitely make good use of the homunculi, as long as Solle is letting us use them.

This place is pretty desolate. The light isn't very good here, either. Be extra careful here, Escha. If something jumps out from behind some fallen trees or something, I may not be able to react in time.

S-Sure... I'll do my best to pay attention. It's so dirty, too... According to the map Marion gave us, the river's headwaters are to the northeast.

Music: Decaying Light

...It's rather quiet.

It's pretty murky in here. I was expecting something a lot more...refreshing.

With this area looking like this, I'd be ready for anything to jump out at us. Stay alert.

Got it... Maybe we'll find out the reason for the drought.

It's beautiful...in its own way...

It's a big pack of wolves!

Keep calm. Just make sure to focus your attacks on the Head Silver Wolf. He seems to be leading the group.

Whew...that was pretty easy. Escha, those wolves snuck up on you while you were looking in the other direction. It does look nice, but remember to take care of yourself.

Right... (That was a little scary. I should be more careful.)

This isn't good...

Yeah...the water level has gone down a lot. Could this be the reason for the drought?

Well, we're still not at the headwaters, so I think this is a consequence, not the cause. In any case, let's keep moving, and don't lose your footing. Who knows what's in that water?

Which way do we go now, Escha?

Um...I think the map is saying the route is to the southeast.

This doesn't look right... Are you sure we're at the right place?

Let's look around a little...this map doesn't tell us very much about what's around here.

No, we're definitely lost. This doesn't seem to be anywhere near the source of the river. Come on, let's go back.

Not yet! There may be some good ingredients around here.

Seriously, Escha, we need to get out of here. My clothes are filthy.

Yeah... Let's try to find the path back.

This looks right. Why are there so many mushrooms here?

Even when the river was much higher, doesn't look like this place got much sunlight. Different plants and animals are living here than other places we've seen.

It looks like people used to live around here, too. I've seen a lot of barrels, and there's even a boat.

But what kind of people would live around here...?

Let's keep going. The deeper we go, the more dangerous this is.

Raging beast

...Shh!

Eek! What's the matter, Logy?

Something's coming our way. I think this is bad...!

H-Huh!? B-But it's all so sudden...

W-Waaaaaah! Something's coming!

Get ready, Escha!

Music: Dorothy's Tiger

This thing is very hungry, and very powerful. Don't get careless, Escha.

Wow, this thing can jump a lot higher than I thought...

Escha, Wilbell's going to be coming in. Hang in there. I'll head back in if you need any support.

Oh no...looks like it's getting ready to do something really dangerous...

Owwww... Thanks, Ms. Wilbell...

How does it create so much lightning? There's definitely something strange about this monster.

We did it!

Whew... That was a powerful enemy.

Music: Alchemist's Dialectic

I never thought we'd run into something this big... Let's proceed with caution.

Eh? I don't see anything.

It's right over there! I'll go pick it up. What could it be?

It looks like some sort of...lithograph.

Hmm... Well, I guess we'll take it with us for now.

I can't imagine that it's that valuable... Are you really gong to bring it back with you?

Aren't you even a little bit curious about what this is? We should bring it back to the atelier. Maybe there's something interesting on it.

Well, I kind of doubt that, but if you want, I won't stop you. I'd rather examine it in better light, anyway.

Looks like we're close to the headwaters. Let's just keep going.

...This could be a lot worse than I thought...

Hey, look! Doesn't this area look a little strange...?

You're right, the water's beginning to run low. Let's go take a closer look. The water's getting muddy, too. And it's starting to smell weird from time to time. It seems the water is running low, which causes the flow to clog up... The longer the water is sitting in any one place, the more polluted it gets.

I see... Do you think this is the reason why the village is having a drought?

The supply could be short because of the mud here, but that doesn't explain how it started happening.

We need to get to the bottom of what's going on here, then... What's making this water so muddy?

If we can push more water into the water source, I think the situation will improve dramatically.

If the problem's too big, can't we use some tricks to get around it?

...Let's go back. I think this problem is beyond just the two of us. We need to put together some reports and let Marion know how bad the situation is.

Okay, but... Will it really not return to normal?

It's impossible to say right now, but I will say it doesn't look good. But it definitely won't get better if we don't try anything.

You're right...

I know how you feel. We should just take care of that slag, and head back. We've completed the assignment, after all. We need to get a report to Marion as soon as possible. The more we wait, the worse this is going to get.

Some pretty nice parts from that slag. They should be useful when making new weapons.

Well, the complete survey of the area isn't done yet, but we can always come back. It's more important we report on the situation before we finish our survey here.

We got Burning Gas from the Revanant Incense.

Burning Gas? That's primarily used in hot air balloon propulsion. Should be really useful in the future.

Escha, we should pick up this book. One of the requests for this assignment is to research this.

Right... Oh, I just heard the door close on the branch. I wonder if Micie's here?

Hm? Yes, how may I help you?

I'm going to perform inspections on the branch's administration. Might I use your office for a while?

I don't suppose I even get the option to turn you down, do I? Please, suit yourself.

Thank you. I will be examining your paperwork.

Yeah, he's here.

...Huh? What's the matter? Why do you seem so tense?

Oh... Hah, the inspector says he's going to examine our workplace and our internal processes.

Is he going that far...? I highly doubt the branch manager has anything to hide, though. Well, it is his duty, after all. It's similar to when I go through your forms, but on a higher level.

Wow... So there are people who actually check on YOUR work, Solle?

But of course. Mistakes can arise from anywhere in the branch. We must cover all our bases.

W-Well, I can't deny that...

So, have you found any errors in our work?

No, not in the slightest. In fact, I must compliment you on your extremely thorough management.

That's good to hear. It seems like preparing all the documents for you beforehand has paid off.

Is that so? Well, thank you very much.

I was only saying that as common courtesy. We generally manage our branch this way.

I-I see... Well then, excuse me for jumping to conclusions...

Now, if you wouldn't mind seeing yourself out. I apologize, but it's hard to concentrate with you here.

Man Solle has guts...

Hahaha.... Don't let him bother you. You'll get used to him.

That's all right... I'm not bothered by it at all! I understand that my work often earns me the enmity of the people whose work I am checking on. However, even if it seems tough, we must follow the path we believe is correct. The results will follow. More words of wisdom from my instructor. I must assume that this, too, is another trial.

Actually, Solle's always like that. Don't worry too much about it.

No, for now, I must finish my inspection. as swiftly as possible, so as to lessen the disturbance. If you'll excuse me, I still have some inspections to conduct.

Hm... Looks like he really took that to heart. Oh, Solle... Why do you have to be so immature, too?

It must be really tough, being an inspector... He's not doing work that will make him popular.

Let's report to Marion about our progress so far. We have to let her know about what's going on at the river.

That's a lot...

R&D against the world

The water has been blocked for a long time, and it's only getting more polluted. We'll need some extra resources to manage this problem, and-

Excuse me, Marion, but do you have a moment? I have some important matters to discuss.

I'll be right there. Sorry, I need to speak with the boss. Would you mind waiting a minute?

Not at all.

What could be so important?

Who knows? Maybe they're talking about our next assignment or something.

Hmm... It didn't really sound like that, but...

...How can I agree to that!?

Wh-What the--?

It certainly hasn't been for the bigwigs from Central City to come over here and take all our credit!

It is true, though, that we haven't been able to produce adequate results with our current staff.

They can't claim that, not after how they've completed ignored us until now. Their coming would make everything we've done in Colseit...meaningless.

What are they talking about, Logy?

...Sounds like Central wants to get in on the action here.

...I apologize. I was out of line.

At any rate, this decision was made by Central Command. We have to support the team they send us. I'm sure the two fo you will need to give them a hand at some point, as well. ...That will be all.

That was quite an argument. What's going on?

Oh... You probably heard, but Central City is sending some investigators here. And now the entire local branch has to welcome them and give them our full support.

Whoa... That's never happened before, has it?

I wonder... Colseit was founded with the goal of reaching those ruins in the sky in mind. Now, suddenly these guys pop up out of nowhere to take credit for our labor? How can I just accept that?

Hmm... You do have a point. That does sting a little.

That's the way Central City operates, though. What are we supposed to do about it?

We can't let them do that to us! What's the point of having a local branch if they're gonna do this!? I'm sorry, you two, but would you mind calling on Lucille and Linca for me? Linca should be in town right now, so this is a good time to hold a meeting.

Y-Yes, understood! We will be back right away.

This is getting out of hand...

C'mon, Logy! Let's go! I'm starting to get excited!

R-Right...

I see... I got it. This is making me a little nervous.

A strategic meeting... I'm quite good at military tactics. Please leave that part to me.

Um... I don't think we're talking about the same thing here.

Ma'am, I've gathered everyone. We can begin whenever you're ready.

I hereby call to order this meeting to determine the future of R&D.

You have a point, but the Unexplored Ruins was supposed to be m--Colseit's task! Remember? If we fail to fulfill this duty, and Central takes over our operation, doesn't it bother you?

Marion is taking this really seriously...

Hmm... Well, if you feel wronged, Marion, then perhaps we should reconsider.

Colseit was once a small village, but it grew this large only because of the plans to search for the ruins! That's why... I want us to be the first ones to explore them.

When you put it that way, I guess you're right. Can we join that investigating party?

I doubt it... They like to run things their way. I've never heard of a Central City group asking for help from the local branch.

Good idea... If only they'd let us contribute to the investigation! They don't have any right!

Rights, huh? Well, we're not the ones in the big chair here.

Hmm...

U-Umm... I have a suggestion...

What is it, Escha? Don't be shy.

I get that they're sending a team here, but... Nobody's ever even made it to the ruins before, right?

She's right... Are they even capable of exploring the ruins?

Then we won't have to wait for the people from Central City to get here before we investigate them.

(What on earth? How does she plan to do that?) That's impossible... There's a reason why no one's gotten there before. What are we going to do?

No, I think she's on to something. If we cooperate with the other divisions, we might pull it off. We can call it, "Preparations to welcome the Central City team..." Maybe stretch our budget a bit...

Huuh!? Ma'am, are you serious?

The ruins that no one in known history has touched... That sounds fun! I'd love to join, if I may.

U-Umm...does that mean...?

...Logy, I'm afraid there's no stopping here once she's gotten this bad. Give it up.

(It's pretty sad when Linca is making the most sense.) B-But...

Now that that's decided, we must act! Everyone, let's put our heads together!

Yes!

Aw, man... I don't like these odds.

Huh? Logy doesn't seem very happy.

Now that we've got our opinions together, let's go run it by the branch manager!

First, we need to do something about our blimp... I doubt even a regular airship can make it there. I have many technical concerns with this idea. Do we have the proper equipment for this task?

I understand that we don't have the means to travel... We'll have to talk to Awin about what he can do.

You're right, I bet Brother will know something that could help us. Let's go ask him!

I'll leave everything in this town to you two. If you need me to apply for anything you ask, just ask.

If you're trying to fulfill your normal duties AND reach the ruins, you need all the help you can get.

You're going to help us, Linca? Man... I feel better already.

Even if it means my life, I will carry out my mission to keep the R&D Division safe.

I...I don't think you need to expect to give your life, but...I look forward to working with you!

Linca's with us, but I just don't know how we're going to make an airship. Plus, I really don't want to make another one, not after what happened...

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 31, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Happy Halloween, everyone (I'm cheating a bit since it's almost 2 AM on November 1st here in Taiwan). I also posted an update on Halloween in the Ayesha thread. Hopefully with Shallie I can make it a perfect three years in a row.

That's also pretty much why I posted a screenshot of Wilbell holding the Pumpkin Bomb.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
That's what I thought when I saw the pumpkin bomb. Ha!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Nice to have Linca again.

Also, Sylphid, since I don't see you on Skype much, I'll let you know that I've started my Xillia LP if you haven't seen it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It'd be interesting to see how they changed Linca's animations. I really don't know they'll top the sparking BFS though.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Nice to have Linca again.

Also, Sylphid, since I don't see you on Skype much, I'll let you know that I've started my Xillia LP if you haven't seen it.

Yeah, I noticed. Looking forward to following that thread, even if I may not post much in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Filler post. I have a feeling Page 4 is going to be particularly bad.

• Locked thread