Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wayne posted:

Oh, that reminds me-- any of the longer-term Atelier fans know if Hat Girl is a reference? She looks like an Atelier heroine, but I don't know if it's a specific callback or if it's just a character design gag.

Yeah she reminds me of Rorona from the Atelier Arland series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
That was mighty fast. There's no problem as long as a single page doesn't get choked with updates.

Anyway, one more thing about the Western Reaches that I couldn't really show off is that if you missed one of the lithograph pieces somehow, the final one is near the Child of Disaster. That's what happened my first time through the game. I had no idea you could actually go down the well in the desert village, and well, missed that area of the game completely.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I like moments like that, that proves the word's far bigger then you think and holy poo poo the numbers on the Book of Knowledge

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Escha has "V-V-Vertical...challenge...? Awww..." attributed to her. Sounds more like Lucille's line.
Katla's little comments about the loot are so funny :kimchi: she's honestly my favourite.

Edit: When you say Hat Girl, do you mean Katla or Lucille? Katla's face reminds me of Rorona sometimes, while Lucille has a touch of Totori in her face and hairstyle.

Roro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 13, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I presume Hat Girl refers to the story book character.

And I think it might just be a general reference to all the fancy hats most Atelier protagonists wear.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, I always assumed Hat Girl was just Generic Atelier Protagonist and not a specific reference to a character, especially since the Dusk series is entirely standalone.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat. How big is the intact part of the world? How much is gone? We probably have no sense of scale.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVIII: The Prescient Uncle and Troublemaker

I guess that's it, then. There's nothing here, and they didn't find the Edge.

Yeah, it's kind of depressing, but it's amazing how the Expedition Corps made it so far out here without an airship. Even with an airship, it took us a long time to get here.

Well, there's no use worrying about it here. Let's head back to town.

That Dimension Bomb looks like a really interesting recipe. We should try making it as soon as possible.

It's a good thing we picked up those Elixir Bases in the Unexplored Ruins and disassembled them. I'm sure that recipe would be put to great use once the reports reach Central.

Only three more...

Well, it's almost time for the inspection of the airship. Ever since Marion ordered us to keep the airship in good shape for Central, I've been down at the docks more often. It's honestly kind of a pain. Do you want to come with me to check it out, Escha?

Sure! Maybe I can even help!

What do you mean, "okay"...?

I think the shock was a little too much for him. He hasn't brought up the topic since.

Hmm... Maybe you're right. He looks the same to me, but he could be depressed deep on the inside...

O-Oh, Brother! Um, cheer up a little, yeah?

Huh? What are you talking about?

It's just that... You've seemed a little down ever since we went to the Edge, so...

Oh... Yeah, well... There's no point in hiding my disappointment, I suppose. But, were you concerned about me? Because I seemed down?

You weren't?

Haha, don't worry about it. Sure, I was a little shocked, but now my dream's clearer than ever before! In fact, I'm excited to think about what to do next.

"Next"? What, what are you going to do now, Brother?

I'm going over that hill, of course! I'm not going to borrow an airship. I'll build my own blimp!

You want to go over the hill...? Impossible! You'll never be able to do that in a blimp...

Maybe, maybe. It'll be a huge undertaking, too. But I didn't see the world's end where we stopped, even if the Expedition Corps said it was.

Are you absolutely sure about that? It could be much tougher than you're thinking...

I inherited those guys' dreams.

I guess you have a point... We'll help you with whatever we can!

Thanks. But first, we need to work real hard to get the money to buy blimp parts. No job's too small for me, now. I'll fix roofs or renovate entire houses if I have to!

Sheesh, you never give up, do you Awin?

Hahaha, that's more like the Brother I know!

I guess it is... He's always sprinting towards whatever he sets his mind to.

I hope he does find the Edge of the World that he's been dreaming of.

That's IF the Edge exists...

But it's a great dream!

What could this be...? It looks like a charm of some sort.

Oh, Ms. Escha, you've got an eye for treasure! It's said that item brings great luck in romance!

That sounds like a flat-out lie. As usual... You sure it has any effect at all?

Of course it does! I got it from Ms. Wilbell!

That makes me even more suspicious. Hm... Or, maybe she really did make a magic charm...?

Why don't you two give it a shot? If I see some sparks fly between you two, we'll know it's legit.

I know you're just trying to trick us into buying it... Gosh, you never let it rest, do you?

Aw, you got me again. Why don't you just fall for my tricks once in a while?

You never give up, do you? But a love charm that actually works... Heehee, that sounds amazing!

Um...e-excuse me?

Oh, Micie! Welcome, welcome! I've got plenty of new wars today! Have a look!

New wares...? What might you have?

I've got this new love charm! It might help you win the heart of that girl on your mind!

L-L-Love charm...!? Is this true!?

That's what she claims, but there's still no proof that it works.

P-P-Please, sell one to me!

Why, thank you very much! How manly of you to seal the deal before even hearing the price!

Oh? Is there a girl you like, Micie?

(She's standing right behind you, Escha, but I can't tell her that...) H-Hey, Escha... We probably shouldn't discuss that here...

Ah... U-Umm, no... That's...!

I'm cheering for you, MIcie! Who's the lucky lady?

Awww... He ran away...

Hahaha, he really is an interesting character.

*Yawn* I'm getting pretty tired, Escha. Why don't we head back to the atelier and call it a day?

Sure, that... Wait...[/i]

...What?

Duke said today's the day of the eating contest! C'mon, we have to hurry!

I finally got all the participants for my "Duke's 4th Chowdown Showdown!"

Ugh... You were serious about that? I completely forgot about that thing.

Ah, so it's finally beginning... Logy, I'm cheering for you!

Right. Strike while the iron's whatever. It's time to start thing!

Huh!? We're starting right now!? I'm still not mentally prepared for this...

Quit your yappin' and get ready. There's no time to waste! Right! We're gonna kick this event off! All you fools with empty hands get helping!

The day has finally come...!

Oh yeah, Escha. Do you mind gathering all the participants together for me? Here's the list.

Yes... Huh? These are the people participating? Looks like I just need to get Linca! Reyfer and Logy are already here!

All right, you fools! You are to see some serious eating!?

YEAH!

You ready to see some faces get stuffed!?

YEAH!

Now, we've got a slew of brave men here up for the challenge! Who here wants to watch them CHOW! DOWN!?

YEAH!

Well said... I love you guys! Now it's time to begin the 4th Chowdown Showdown!

Good god... There's no way a single person can possibly eat this much! But I'm not about to lose!. I've got free meals on the line here. BRING! IT! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

I love your appetite and your style, kid!

*chomp* I see... This is quite delicious. And with these servings, I'll be sure to be satisfied. Next time I make anything for Ms. Marion, I should be challenging her with sheer volume!

You've got some spirit, young lady! You didn't even flinch! Keep it up!

Ugh... What the hell is this... This is really bad. I don't think I can cram down any more...

LOGY! Do your best...!

Cough... I think... I think I'm done...!

Huh!? No! It's still way too soon! Please, don't give up! E-Eeeek! Logy's face... Oh my gosh! Please, get a grip!

Pfft, giving up already? The battle's just beginning!

Heh, throwing in the towel already, kid? Heh heh heh... You don't have to try too hard, right, sword lady?

You don't need to concern yourself with me. I conveniently skipped having breakfast this morning. Considering how much I have for breakfast, this isn't an impossible amount.

U-Um... There's way more here than anyone could possibly eat for breakfast.

You're looking a little pale, Reyfer. Perhaps you should throw in the towel while you still can.

Oh, don't you underestimate me. You think I... *Urp* H-How the hell aren't you slowing down at all!?

Logy! Where does it hurt...? Here? Or over here...?

Waaaaaaaah! Logy, please, get a grip!

And the winner is...this beautiful young lady, who polished off her entire plate! I give you, Linca!

Oh? So I won...? I think this was worth skipping breakfast.

Amazing... She at it all...and she's a girl!

I actually haven't seen anyone clean the whole thing in a long time. I... I'm moved...!

Heh heh, that was impressive eating. Everyone give a round of applause to our daring challengers!

Ugh... My free meal tickets... I couldn't do it...

Ack... And I have to wash the dishes, too...

Ugh... Just...go on ahead, Escha. I'll be back before too long.

Okay... Let's go back to the branch, Linca.

What's wrong, Linca? You seem a little down.

What exactly is a "mother"? The other Linca said she was trying to find her mother. But we don't know of any such person.

I'm sorry, Linca. I really don't know my mother very well either... She got sick when I was very young, and...

I-I'm very sorry! That was very inconsiderate of me.

No, don't worry. I don't remember her at all, so I don't really feel sad that she isn't around. I might be the same as you, Linca, in that sense.

I see... So that's how it was.

But, I'm sure your mother is a very pretty person, Linca.

I'm not sure what you mean... Are children usually similar in some ways to their parents?

I don't know. Some people don't resemble their parents at all. And lots of people are nothing like their parents in personality, either.

...Escha. I told you before that I have sisters who look like me. And there are many of them.

Yeah... She looked exactly like you, but it was very strange.

All of us look the same, but our personalities are completely different. There's a cruel Linca, and the...cheerier Linca you recently met. I wonder which of us is like our mother. Maybe none of us does.

I can't say. I don't know what kind of person your mother is...

...We're all supposed to be the same, so why are we so different? If we were all the same, there would be no reason for us to fight...

Hmm... I don't know why such a strange thing would happen. But isn't it normal that everybody would be different?

Normal? But...

You're Linca. The girl in the tavern was also named Linca, but you're completely different people. And even though neither you nor I have a mother, we're completely different people as well.

Unique... I'm the one and only me... I suppose that's true as well. Thank you very much, Escha. I'll think it over.

Really? I hope I was helpful.

If conflict is caused by differences, then everyone would constantly be fighting. There might be a way for us Lincas to live without fighting one another.

(I started confusing myself with my own explanation... But at least Linca's cheered up a bit, so that's good.) Hm, Logy's still not back yet. Guess I'll start cleaning the atelier. I wonder if he's okay...

Well, at least there weren't too many dishes...man, I can still barely move. Ugh, let's just get back.

You look a little down, Lucille.

Oh, Mr. Logy! Um... It's nothing really important, so please don't worry about it.

Really? Well, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know, okay? I'll listen...

Huh? A-Are you sure...? But, I really don't want to bother you...

Well, you can't help me when you're sad like that, so helping you now is better for me anyway, isn't it?

O-Okay...the truth is, there's a little problem with my parents back home in Central City...

Heh... I was never really close to my parents, either. We used to fight a lot, now that I think back.

No, not like that! My parents are really supportive of me!

Oh, uh... Sorry about that. What's the issue, then?

Well, um... I think the problem is that we're actually too close.

How is that a problem?

Haha, sounds like they worry about you a lot.

That's not at all. A little while ago, when we were really busy. I forgot to respond to a letter right away. And then my parents sent a letter directly to the branch manager... They were furious that I was "being kept in a sweatshop" and were about to send someone to pick me up...

That's pretty forceful. I'm surprised it didn't turn into a bigger issue.

The branch manager was able to calm them down when he replied... But just now, he came to me and said that he'd gotten another letter of protest...

...Wow, I was wrong. Yes, that does sound like a real problem.

Right!? So, I'm just so embarrassed, I don't know what to do! What would you do in a situation like this, Mr. Logy?

...Well, my family was pretty hands-off in a lot of ways. I don't think I'm a very good example.

Sorry... I'll try to think of a solution, but if you manage to find an answer to this...

This is a tricky situation... Well, I'll keep it in mind.

Oh, hello Logy! Did you finish washing the dishes?

Yeah, Reyfer helped out a lot. I was amazed by how much Linca can eat. And she's so thin, too. I wonder how she does it...

Hey Logy, do you remember the Demon Crucible synthesis?

Of course. Why?

Well, I used the same idea here. I can't wait to see what effect this has.

"4D Damage"...looks like it uses all the elements to generate an intense explosion. That looks great. Escha, I'm sure you've been noticing, but your alchemy was gotten a lot better since we started.

You think so? It doesn't really feel like much has changed for me...

(That may be the strangest thing of all...)

Is this a bomb...? It looks like something you'd find anywhere...

Oh, no! Be really careful with that! It's not your average bomb, okay?

I-I see... Sorry. Is it really that dangerous?

When you throw this bomb, it'll disappear into the air, and then blow up somewhere else... So, even if you try to run away, you'll never know where it hits. It's almost impossible to miss.

Whoa... That's pretty evil. We could probably use this in battle, then. I wonder if the people of the past used these kinds of things a lot. Wait... If we don't know where it goes off, isn't it dangerous to us, too?

U-Umm... About that...

...You're kidding, right?

Probably...? Do you really intend to bring that on our investigations?

I mean, it should generally explode on the monsters, so we'll be fine!

As long as it doesn't hit us, we will...

L-Let's not talk about that anymore, okay?

Forget it. I'm going to use this. I'll find out if there's any way to use this safely.

Hey Escha, can you take a look at a recipe book I ordered from Central? They were researching it for a while, but it doesn't look like they came up with anything from it. Your alchemy has come a long way, so I think you might do a better job at it.

Sure, I'll take a look!

Hm, this looks kind of hard, but I think I can do something with it. I need to do a little research, though. This Tauzent Blitz looks really complicated.

Yeah, I was worried about that. Well, if you could do something with it, that would be perfect. The recipe needs two of my Cores. Could you make another Airto Blitz so the synthesis is a little easier?

Sure! I need to prepare some materials for the Tauzent Blitz, though. Can you go to Katla's and pick up some materials for me, Logy?

Sure. I'll be right back.

Solle, do you have a moment?

Y-Yes, how can I help you, sir? I believe I've taken care of all the urgent paperwork... Was there some sort of error?

No, you're doing an amazing job. We have a little extra cushion in the schedule now. Say, what would you say about having dinner with me? I know it's been a while...

D-Dinner...? B-But um, I...

Well, I thought that we seldom have the opportunity, so... You've already finished your work, right? Now, let's go, then. Where do you usually eat, Solle?

Oh, no, um... I... Uh... Right this way...

N-No...

So, um... Do you come here often?

...Fairly often.

I see... You should really think about getting balanced meals.

...Yes, I'll be careful.

...I followed them here without really thinking, but...why does the air feel so dense?

How is your work going? Everything smooth?

I figure you should know. You are the Branch Manager, after all.

Er, yes, I suppose you have a point. To be honest, I've been amazed by your work lately...

I-Is that so...? Well, thank you very much. U-Umm, Sir...?

Hmm? Yes, what is it?

I-I don't think it's necessary to pay me idle compliments...

...Right. Well, I wasn't forcing anything. I've been told that people are able to focus on their own work because of your support.

Wh-Who in the world's been saying that...?

Other people, besides me, who think your work is valuable. I hope that you can continue working for the branch...

R-Right... Thank you.

Ugh, the two of them are stressing me out. I think I'm getting an ulcer just watching them. C-Crap, he saw me!

H-Hey, Logy...! Did you happen to finish that paperwork

Oh! Solle, fancy meeting you here... Um, paperwork? Y-Yes, I believe I finished that...

I see. Excuse me, sir, I still have some work that needs to be taken care of.

I-I see... Sorry for taking your time.

Huh? I didn't do anything. But, you never asked me to do any paperwork for you, either.

No, I just needed an excuse to escape. There wasn't going to be an easy way out of there... I wonder what that was all about. It's like he was trying to test me... At any rate, it was terrifying.

I don't think it was the scary. Maybe he just wanted to have dinner with his son?

Hahaha, you must be joking. I highly doubt that would be the case.

I mean, he did tell us that he felt bad about what he did to you. I really think that he just wants to have a normal father/son relationship with you.

Hmm... We are speaking strictly in hypotheticals here, but I shall take it under advisement. Nevertheless, I don't think my stomach could handle it if something similar happened again.

You've got a point there. I think I felt a little sick just watching the two of you. But really, I don't feel there's a need to overthink this... Oh yeah! I still need to pick up those materials for Escha. I got so distracted watching Solle and Colland that I forgot about it...

Yes, I've finished it already.

Huh!? Already? Wow... That was fast.

Don't worry, I did it properly. You have to believe me.

No, I'm sure you did a great job. I'm just genuinely amazed you were able to do it that fast, though.

That reminds me... Things were difficult before, but I'm getting better. I think I've improved, huh?

Oh, no doubt. I can tell you right now that I can't possibly Synthesize anything that fast I don't think there's any need for me to give you any more advice now.

Ahahaha, that's not true. There's still so much that I don't know yet. We were only able to make so many things because we were working together.

Don't be modest. I really do think you've gotten better.

Huuuuh!? D-Don't say that! You're not going to get anything from me by flattering me, you know.

I was just saying the truth.

Ahh, why are you doing this to me all of a sudden? You're embarrassing me!

Heh, well, it's true that you don't LOOK like somebody who's that skilled, haha!

Ugh, I knew you were making fun of me!

Well, there's nothing wrong with the way you're improving. I'm still going to rely on you. Unless there's something extremely urgent, I think I can still let you do everything, haha.

Heeeeey! Don't say that! You've got to keep helping me!

Really, though, you don't need it. At any rate, we made out the deadline, so I'll go report to Marion.

O-Oh, yes... Thank you very much. I can't believe Logy's praised me so much. I guess I really have improved! ...But the better I get, the less he'll help me. Hmm, maybe I'm losing out on this deal after all.

Is that the Tauzent synthesis?

Yeah! I'm just about to finish it.

Whoa... I've only seen it in documents before, but this is...pretty amazing.

It's beautiful, huh? I wonder what it's for...

Simply put, it's a collection of various powers... But it takes a while to build up to this point. This secret has been protected and passed down by alchemists through the ages. To be honest, most of the recipe behind this item is theory. I'm really surprised you managed to make the recipe work.

I-I see... We've made something really amazing, then, haven't we?

I'd say you're pretty amazing for being able to make it. We finally did it...

Logy, what's wrong? You don't look very well. Did... Did I mess up!?

Oh, is that it? You're going to be fine, Logy! I know it.

D-Don't say it like that, you'll make me even more nervous. Alright, I should put in an order to the homunculi to start reproducing it. I'm sure this will be helpful on our investigations.

Solle's been complaining that the homuculi are hanging around Lucille a lot lately. We should go see her.

It's Threia and Micie. What could they be talking about?

Please, Miss Hazelgrimm. I need your help!

I told you already. I don't know anything about that man. The Hazeldines and the Hazelgrimms may be related, but we're separated. I don't know anything about them.

But, it was his malicious actions that led to alchemy in Central City falling behind more than a decade! Whatever his reasons may be, I think he needs to turn himself in so his story may be heard.

Perhaps. If you truly think that way, then why don't you go catch him already?

...All right. I'll be back tomorrow, in case you change your mind.

Now then... It's not polite to eavesdrop, you know.

S-Sorry... We didn't mean to, but it was really tough to say anything here.

It doesn't matter now... It didn't matter then, either. It's nothing you need to worry about. More importantly, I have another suggestion for our next investigation.

Y-Yes, no problem... Where would you like to go this time?

Do you recall the underground research facility in the mountains? I'd like to do more research there. According to literature I've found, there should be more ruins nearby, but I can't seem to locate them.

What other ruins do you think they'll lead you to?

If I knew, we wouldn't have to go back to the first ones. But now that you understand, let's go.

O-Okay... Ahh, Miss Threia looks like she's in a bad mood.

...Anyway, let's go back to those underground ruins for her.

Y-Yeah...

Who knows? Isn't it Threia's job to find that out?

You're starting to see how this works. That's exactly what my job is. Though I have a good idea...

Wow, that's amazing. So what happened to this place...?

As I'm sure you're aware, in the old era, there were several "countries", like Central City.

I-I wasn't aware...

You should at least know that much. It's pretty common knowledge.

And, it's been written that mankind fought amongst itself quite frequently in those times. Research facilities like this were built during that time. To put it simply, they researched weapons.

Supposedly they used alchemy for evil in the past era... I've heard of that, as well.

I never knew that happened back then... Why couldn't everyone get along?

Sounds silly, doesn't it? But apparently they were fighting for an extremely long time.

No one believed him at first, but the more he investigated, the more the data validated his theory.

I see... That's amazing. And is that person why you became a historian, too?

I wouldn't say it's the only reason. It's not like I wanted to become him.

Then, why did you want to become a historian?

I had an uncle who thought he was doing good for the world by doing constant research. But alchemy was quickly advancing, and soon there was a chance that it would only create more conflict. He wanted to fully uncover the truth about alchemy, and feared mankind would repeat its mistakes.

Uncovering the truth... Those words turn up a lot in books about alchemy.

And yet, there are many people who only learn and advance alchemy for their own selfish desires. My uncle destroyed a number of alchemy facilities, to stop those who lost sight of the truth.

He destroyed alchemy facilities...? That's a grave crime! He would go that far?

Because of him, my family has been implicated as his accomplices. Who knows what people are saying now...

Miss Threia, um... You didn't do anything wrong, Miss Threia! No matter what the others say, you're innocent!

Well, thank you. But I hold no grudge against my uncle. I want to know if the people of the past fell because of their ambitions and see if their technology is worth pursuing.

That's why you do your own research...to understand what happened.

You look at the mistakes people made in the past, to help us make decisions today!

Yes. And I pray that mankind was not that foolish back then...

We should keep following her, Logy. Looks like she's on to something...

There are some strange sights here...things you wouldn't see in other ruins.

Yes. Those could be artifacts unique to this region. Let's take a closer look. I believe that this facility was used to make weapons, but I cannot find data on what kinds of weapons.

Are you sure they weren't researching something else entirely? Is that possible?

If that's the case, I wonder what they would have been researching... It must be related to alchemy. Also, there are artifacts similar to those found in the north. What are they doing in this place?

Um, Miss Threia!? There's a notebook over here...

A notebook? Not old documents?

Who could possibly have been here and written that? Let's have a look. That handwriting... I've seen it before. Let me see that...!

S-Sure... Go ahead.

I see... I think I understand now. This notebook was left behind by my uncle.

Huh!? You mean your uncle, the wanted criminal...?!

So your uncle came here, too? What does it say...?

He suspected something was amiss, like we are doing now. He was studying this facility's purpose. It appears this place primarily conducted experiments on plants, to make them grow in the wastelands.

Wow, they were doing that, too? It must have been tough to live back in those times... If they'd found an answer, though, it would have been really helpful for us!

Furthermore, it looks like there are other ruins with a similar purpose all around the world... This leads me to believe that many of the old "countries" were working together to solve a common problem.

You also said that these countries fought among one another. Why would they--

Yes, about that... It's indicated that the facility was built near the tail end of the previous era. It's possible that the countries united in a common cause as the land began to die around them.

You mean they became friends and worked with each other?

Former enemies turning to each other for help in times of common trouble... It's quite dramatic.

This could be a very big discovery, then!

Yes. If it's true, it would suggest that the previous era saw an end to the practice of war. Anyway, we should return. I'll need to rethink how to revise my thesis in light of this new evidence.

Right! Th-This is becoming really interesting...

Escha, didn't Threia say her last name was Hazelgrimm?

I think so... What about it?

Keithgriff Hazeldine... It can't be a coincidence. I thought I heard Threia's last name before, in Central City. Threia's uncle, the wanted criminal, was conducting research like this...? I had no idea...

Is there something wrong?

N-No...it's nothing. Anyway, there's nothing to gather here, and I don't see any documents to recover. Do you want to head back now?

Sure...

Yes. It has quite a bit of data, so I'm using it as a source in my new thesis. I should be finishing soon.

Wow, that's great news. Congratulations!

It's not that great... I'd rather be collecting my own data than having to rely on his work. He was so far ahead of me ages ago. I can't sleep, knowing that... And to think he'd just leave detailed notes behind like this. It's not like him.

Well, maybe you can just think of it as a present left behind by your uncle.

It's still a major discovery, isn't it? Why didn't he go public with this, instead of leaving it behind?

Who knows? Perhaps it has something to do with this "truth" he was so fixated on.

Uh-oh, she's getting mad... Um, what kind of thesis are you writing, Miss Threia?

Haven't I told you about it yet? It's a study on why our ancestors disappeared into history... Civil unrest, war, and the lost of resources seem to be leading causes, but I believe in others. The data we've found leads me to think that there was a major shift in the later years. That alone opens up new questions. Perhaps our current understanding of the past is completely wrong...

In other words, you expect that your thesis will spawn a great deal of new theories about the past?

...Yes, to put it bluntly. It's still too early to release this to the public. I need more evidence.

Hmm... But even though the people tried so hard, they still died out in the end, right?

That's something we must never forget, when we research history.

I've never thought of it that way.

Yeah, it would be rude of people to just say things about them without fact... That's important, too.

Thank you for understanding. I'm glad to have you on my side. I'll make sure you see my thesis. I have to show it to one of my friends first. You won't be the first to read it.

I-I hope your thesis isn't too difficult for me to read, Miss Threia...

...I'd read it and help explain it in terms you'd understand, Escha.

Well then, I'm going back to my office now. Thanks for all your help in the investigation.

Of course! I hope that you can finish your thesis soon!

There was...something they could not overcome, even with all of their technology combined.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 14, 2014

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if her uncle will appear again in this game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Threia doesn't know that Nio's sister is with Keith, does she? I kind of wish Awin's scenes were in the previous game, as it put Keith's actions into perspective.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Threia doesn't know that Nio's sister is with Keith, does she? I kind of wish Awin's scenes were in the previous game, as it put Keith's actions into perspective.

No, and she also doesn't know where Keith is, anyway. Nobody, outside of Odelia, Keith, Nio, and Wilbell, knows that Keith is traveling with Ayesha currently. And Ayesha herself of course. Fewer still know anything about their whereabouts.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIX: The Dangerous Expeditions and Adventures

Logy, I think I'm ready to try making my own Elixir Base. Thanks to that information we got from the Dismantler, I think I found out a good recipe for it. And my alchemy has been getting a lot better...

That's true. But it looks like it might take a long time, so we should probably start it, then go do some stuff. 13 days is a long time to work on a single item...

The Elixir Base is an incredibly difficult recipe. We need to be really careful.

Alright, here goes...

Now we can just let it sit for a while... Let's go get something to eat, Logy.

Sure thing. I'm still looking for how to make some of these new items. The recipes are so complicated.

Sure thing, gimme a sec!

That voice... That was Miss Marion, wasn't it?

Yeah, that's her. Should we go say hi?

What is this?

Keep quiet!

Marion, that's enough toasting, isn't it? I think you've had enough to drink.

Quit being so stiff! I can enjoy the occasional glass of the good stuff! But I can't believe you'd be inviting me for drinks, Threia. Is Hell about to warm over tomorrow?

I don't think we've gone out like this since we were together in Central City... For a while, you'd be asking me to come out with you once a week. I thought you were trying to date me.

Hey! You can't let anyone at R&D know about that, you hear me!? See, I... I decided that I gotta be the "cool boss" for all my li'l guys at the branch.

You? Cool!? Hahahaha! Oooh... Don't make me laugh like this, my stomach hurts. Sorry, but I just don't think you're leader material. You're too short...among other things.

"Other things..."!? Now that's a low blow...just 'cuz yers are huge! You want me to grope ya? Huh?

...I'm glad none of your coworkers are here to see this. You turn vulgar when you're drunk.

Hey, unlike you, I'm not here by choice. You unnerstan'...?

Yes, yes, I understand...and that was a big leap in topics.

See, but I...I got no regrets! I din't do annnythin' wrong!

Yes, that's right. Oh, that's right... About your subordinates...

Eschschschsch's too soft n' fluffy, and Loogy's got no ambition! I mean, they put in a lotta effort. As their boss, maybe I gotta give 'em a piece of my mind!

Really? I think they're doing a lot more then you give them credit for.

Oh, now this is new... What do you see in those two?

Escha always tries her best at whatever she does. And, you never get bored watching her. Logy isn't afraid to express his opinion, but in the end he always takes consideration for others'. You can't find alchemists who are that straightforward these days. You're lucky to have them with you.

You... You're tryin' to snipe my henchmen! Well, you can't have 'em!

That's unfortunate. They were a big help with my thesis... I thought we could continue to work together.

Do my ears deceive me? Are you actually complimenting someone else? What happened?

I-I don't know... Perhaps I've had a bit too much to drink myself.

At least Miss Threia and Miss Marion look like they're really enjoying themselves. So Threia completed her thesis, huh? Maybe we should celebrate with her sometime, too.

Yeah, we should.

Oh no! We have to get back!

That was close...

Blegh...

Logy!? What's wrong!?

Oh, it's nothing... I really can't cook at all. I keep trying, but it never turns out really right... Here. Here's a shopping list for Duke's. I need to go pick up some stuff. If you're not busy, do you want to come with me? Maybe new ingredients would help?

I could always teach you, Logy. I know how to cook some things.

Well yeah, but you can't cook very much either. I want to make something other than sweets...

I guess you're right, but... Logy!

Hm? Miss Threia? What could she be doing in the bar?

It doesn't sound like Marion's with her this time...

...Then what exactly did you mean? Would you mind clarifying that for me?

U-Umm...what's the matter you two? I don't think it's good to argue...?

We're not arguing. We're simply stating differing opinions at an elevated insensity and volume.

That's what arguing is... So, what are you arguing over?

Look, you know how Threia's only interested in research and academics and stuff like that? I was just telling her that it'd be great to have a few hobbies here and there. Y'know, interests!

The way you present your case makes it sound as if my life holds nothing of interest in it!

No! Your life is far from boring! But wouldn't it be nice to do something else? Like sew, or cook?

Oh! That's a great idea! I can teach you really simple sewing, Miss Threia!

Your mind is so old-fashioned. Just because I'm a woman, I should be cooking and sewing? If we're going to take the trouble, we should look for hobbies that challenge us intellectually.

She's right. Sometimes reading a book from outside one's area of expertise is quite helpful.

I understand what you're saying. Really, I do... But do you see where we're coming from here, too?

Not at all. Why don't you organize your thoughts before you open up that mouth of yours? This is a waste of time... I have work that needs doing. If you'll excuse me.

She just stormed out...

We're never going to see eye-to-eye on this, are we?

If it's always going to end in an argument, why do you even bother bringing up these topics?

I mean, you can say that... But it's such a waste to do nothing but hide from others all day. If that's how she feels about it, though, I guess that's it. She'll never come to see it our way.

I see... Aww, I wish you two could become friends.

I wouldn't mind the chance to be her friend, but she's got no intention of budging.

Really? I think she's fighting back because you're not serious enough to defend your opinion.

I won't deny that, but if you can't speak casually with someone, then how can you become friends? You know... She does come to me to talk sometimes, too. Maybe she wants to be my friend, in some way.

I get it! Maybe Miss Threia's hobby is to have arguments with you, Reyfer!

Are you serious? That would be...really bad.

Those two are never going to get along... Anyway, I have to pick up a bunch of cooking materials.

Do you need any help carrying all of them?

No, I think I'll be okay. Go check on the synthesis.

Yeah, good idea...

Is this about the present again? Last time I tried to help you, it didn't turn out that well...

No, um... Well, honestly, you're the only woman whose opinion I feel comfortable asking...

I see...! All right, this time I'll try to be a little more helpful!

Thank you very much. I'd lke to ask you...just for my reference... Do I seem...childish, to you?

Childish!? Not at all. In fact, I think you're really mature for your age.

I understand. So that means... Do you think my appearance is childish? For whatever reason, a certain someone cannot seem to see me as a mature man.

Ah... Well, when you put it that way, I can see why that would be a bit difficult...

Nevertheless, it's not like I can suddenly decide to grow taller... Perhaps I can change my wardrobe? Would you happen to know a store in the vicinity? I still don't know much about the area.

A clothing store for men? Hmm... Where could we go...? Oh, yeah! I think I know a place that might have some options! I'll show you!

I'm sorry...and thank you very much.

What do you think about this place?

Hmm... I see. This actually looks quite classy.

Ah, but everything might be a little too big for you. You might not fit...

No, I can fudge my way through the size. Let's choose something from here.

Wha... Are you sure? Well, then... How about this? Or this?

U-Um... It might work for you, but...I still think the size is a little off.

It is acceptable for clothing to drag slightly... In fact, doesn't a loose fit make me appear mature? One more always have a little extra room in one's heart... More words of wisdom from my instructor. I understand people wear baggy pants and let them crumble at the bottom... Is this true?

Um... I actually don't think that looks good on you...

Right, then... What about this coat? Apparently it's been imported from Central City. It appears to be a high-quality material, and I feel classy wearing it. What do you think?

Eh... You look like a child wearing his father's coat, to me. Oh, but it might be kind of cute, now that I see it. It's like you're trying to tip-toe to be taller!

C-Cute!? I don't want to look cute. I want to look mature. However, if this coat fails me, too... What would suit me, then?

Why don't you just be yourself? I think your current wardrobe is pretty cute.

That does not help me achieve my goal of presenting myself as a male adult. At any rate, I've already tried them on, so perhaps I should purchase these garments.

Y-You're really going to buy them, Micie...? Well, whatever makes you happy...

I appreciate your help, Miss Escha.

Are you really going to wear that? Maybe you should wait just a little bit until you grow into it?

Grow into it... Yes. If only I had a few more inches, it would be brilliant...

That's probably going to take a little more time... Oh no! I have to get back to the synthesis!

This is where it gets tricky...

Alright, that should be enough... I should get back.

What's the matter now, Lucille?

Do you remember when I told you about my parents?

Yeah, they worry too much. Did something happen?

I got a letter from them while we were out on an investigation, and I couldn't respond right away. Then they sent another letter complaining about my workload to the branch manager...

Maybe we should seriously consider some methods to counter this. I'm afraid it'll affect your work.

But, what should I do...? I can't exactly have someone write the letter on my behalf, can I?

...I'm afraid that might only blow up in our faces. We need to attack the root of the issue.

Ugh, they both just worry too much! I can take care of myself just fine! They're even against me going outside on my own... But I'm a government worker now!

Yeah, I think we need to start by addressing that misunderstanding.

Hmmm... What do you mean?

Hopefully, they'll worry a lot less about you...

I'm always telling them to stop worrying in all my letters...

...But that might just make them worry more, right? You could lie and say that you're having such a good time here that there's no time to write back.

Oh, no, the work is very fun! Everyone in R&D is so kind, and...you're really reliable, Mr. Logy!

I-I see... How about we try that approach?

Well... Okay, I've just told them to stop worrying. Maybe if I gave them some details, it might help. Don't you think it would be suspicious if I just started pouring that out all at once?

Heeey, that's not nice, Mr. Logy! You have a point, though. I think I can write them a letter about how much I enjoy my work here!

That's the spirit. Take the initiative, instead of just responding to their letters.

Y-Yes! Thank you very much, Mr. Logy!

If you ask them to stop writing to the manager, that might work... But I hope this solves our problems. Well, guess I'll just have to see how this turns out. Escha should still be working right now.

Looks like it's almost done...

Yeah. Now we just have to wait for the materials to sublimate, and it should be done... I can't believe it!

I've been meaning to ask... Where did you learn how to do alchemy like that?

Huh? I told you my mother taught me most of it.

I remember that, but between this, the Tauzent Blitz, the Knowledge Book, and the Demon Crucible, your alchemy is going far beyond what simple teaching can do for an alchemist.

Hehe, oh, that... Well, when I work with unknown items like the ones I've been making lately, it's mostly about using your instincts... You have to follow the recipe, but making mysterious items requires you to think how to make the item. It's not enough to just follow the recipe.

Is that right? Maybe you'll be able to write your own alchemy book when you're older.

Hm, maybe... But it's kind of hard to explain. I'm not sure I can write a book about something like that. It's just something you know "how" to do. I'm not sure if I'm really explaining it very well.

No, I think I understand. (Honestly, if she's that unaware of her alchemy abilities, maybe it's a lost cause...)

Looks like there's really nothing left to do but wait. Let's get some materials from Katla's. It's a good thing her prices for alchemy stuff are low.

Ahh... I think Miss Threia is angry again.

I think we can guess why.

Have you no respect for history? Or the actions of our ancestors?

No, no, you're misunderstandin' me. I love ruins that have lots of dreams, and hope, and all...

...Ugh, if only you could take things more seriously, you might have some redeeming qualities. Sorry, but I have work, so I'm going to excuse myself.

Heh, well, I guess I was able to ask what I wanted to ask. Anyway, it does bother me a little bit...

Hey, I'm always serious, no matter what I do... At least, when I'm talkin' to her.

She did seem really angry, though. Did something happen again?

You remember those ruins we went to? That musty place with all the slags.

The creepy ruins? I remember them, but what about them?

I've actually been to another ruin like that one before, but... Something seemed a little strange. I think there might actually be a secret passage somewhere.

A secret passage...? Are you sure about that?

Who knows? But that's what my intuition's telling me. There's probably amazing treasure in there.

Are you sure? Hmm, I didn't really notice anything.

I wouldn't expect amateurs to understand. Anyway, I mustered up the courage to ask Threia myself. She agreed with me about the secret passage, but when it got to the treasure...she blew up at me.

I see. She probably wouldn't want you to sell off items that are vital to her historical research.

Awww... You've both done this enough times. Why can't one of you just go with the other's opinion?

Well, let's leave that conversation for some other time. Do you want to go back to those ruins soon? I'll help you do a thorough investigation there. There might still be some treasure waiting!

So we haven't seen the entire ruin, then? I can't promise anything, but going back there's a good idea.

Treasure, huh...? That's actually kind of exciting! I'd like to go again, too!

Oh, Escha! You're finally comin' 'round to see it my way, huh? My heart's full of joy! If we find treasure, I'll be sure to split the profits among us all, so don't worry. Now, let's be off!

This sounds really exciting!

I don't think we should bring Threia along when we do go...

We have to! I think Miss Threia will be angrier if we didn't bring her...

She's surrounded by children. We should go ask her what's going on.

What are you doing?

Eek! When did you guys get here...?

We saw all these kids gathered around. Why...?

Um... They're just leftovers from before...

Leftovers!? You only made two before. You kept saying that you don't have time to waste on this.

Yeah, Nio helped, too. We ended up making too much, so I was giving them away...

Aww, that's nice. I wanted some too...

This is unexpected. You said you didn't want to do this stuff, and now you're giving them to children.

Well, yeah, it is a pain. But it does feel pretty worthwhile to be appreciated by someone... I was thinking it would be nice to make some sweets and make people happy. My main goal is still to become a grand magician. I can't continue making sweets because I'm training. I guess this should be the last time I do this...

Does that really have anything to do with it?

...What?

I don't know how difficult your training as a magician is... You could still keep making sweets as a hobby, can't you?

I'm not sure just what kind of grand magician you want to become, Wilbell. But, no matter how great you grow up to be, it's still important to keep your sense of fun.

Really... So you think it's okay to continue with the sweets?

You should do it if you really want. Nobody's going to tell you to stop, either.

You're right. I guess I'll make some more when I have free time.

Really? Please share some with me when you do.

Would you give some to me, too? The one I had really was delicious.

Haha, you're so hopeless. I guess a great magician who brings joy to little kids isn't that bad, either.

(I'm still not sure exactly what magicians do... But it's probably best not to overthink it.) Did you pick up all the materials you needed, Escha?

Yeah, I got everything!

I'll help you carry some of them back.

Really? Thanks!

No problem... Let's head back to the branch.

What is it, boss? Did we make a mistake on our report...?

No, nothing like this. This is about Linca. What happened with that?

What do you mean? You haven't heard anything from her?

If she'd told me, I wouldn't have to ask you!

C-Calm down, boss. What's wrong, all of a sudden?

I'm sorry... But this is the first time Linca's kept something from me. Usually she proudly comes and tell me "Target annihilated!" or somesuch.

Annihilated...? Um, the Linca in the tavern was actually a very nice person.

A nice person? She wasn't cold-blooded and hostile?

No, not at all. She seemed like a nice older sister.

Hmm. Really. I never heard of one of those Lincas being like that.

Apparently Linca was glad to see her. They were happily chatting in the tavern.

I think I heard that story before... I guess you get along with Linca very well, Miss Marion.

She's always misunderstanding the things I ask her to do, or putting too much effort into the wrong things.

Wh-Why do you sound so happy...?

Marion, I've written up the documents you asked for. Although it's a little late...

Oh, is that the one you said you had to write by yourself?

Yes. I was able to refer to past examples to accomplish my task.

...What? Wait, you wrote this by yourself, Linca? What's the meaning of this?

I was following your orders to fulfill the assigned mission, Marion... I know it's very late, but I'll try to meet your deadlines from this point forward.

O-Oh, thank you. Do your best...

I certainly will. Please, excuse me...

...Too many things I didn't expect are happening. I think I'm getting a headache.

Are you alright, Miss Marion? Maybe you should take a break.

I'm fine, but... Looks like Linca's made some progress, too. I wonder if this is how a mother feels when she notices her child has grown up...

What are you talking about? Boss, maybe you'd better take that break after all.

(Linca, I don't think it's true that you don't have a mother.)

Whew...it's finally done!

Amazing again, Escha. Looks like the properties you chose are pretty incredible too. This can activate on its own, it's self-replicating, and provide a lot of energy for all of us. I'm sure this is going to be a lot of help.

Yeah! We don't know what kind of monsters we'll fight in the future, so we need to have everything we can so we can prepare for the investigations.

Indeed... Oh! How about we go to the Palace of Paupers that Harry mentioned to us? I've always been interested in what's there, but we've been pretty busy the past few months.

That's okay with me! I wonder what we'll find there...

Wha... What kind of place is this?

I don't know why, but it...feels dangerous.

Yeah, I can't help but feeling like that too. Let's proceed with caution.

I've never seen materials like these before! What a mysterious place...

We should definitely make a note of this area in the future. Maybe there's even more we missed.

Escha, look at this!

There's even Elixir Bases around here, too!

Logy...

Yeah. We're definitely headed into great danger.

Maybe we can sneak past them...

I wouldn't count on it, but let's try...

Terrors of the unknown land

Well, that's that. Get ready!

All right, I'm ready to go!

You were right about that Dimension Bomb, Escha. I can't believe how it just moved from one spot to above the dragon...

Let's unleash the Knowledge Book!

Right behind you!

We got it!

Yeah, not bad, Escha. Now, we just need to do something...

About that.

Owww... This monster is a lot stronger than Gullveig was...

It's healing itself!

We need to defeat it before it can heal itself!

It seems like it resists attacks from items a lot... We need to keep up the pressure.

But I can't fight as well as everyone else...

Don't worry. Everyone is doing their part to defeat this monster.

Logy, I'm sorry... Something the monster is doing is preventing me from helping out more...

What kind of magic is this thing capable of?

Oh no... We need to finish this now!

I got it!

Whew...that was a difficult fight.

Escha, are you okay?

I should be asking you that... But yeah, I'm okay.

What kind of monsters were those? Maybe Harry got scared of them and ran off. It was only thanks to the Elixir Base that were able to defeat those monsters.

Logy, this seems like a really big place. Maybe there's something underground?

Well, it's certainly worth checking out.

drat. The path is too crumbled to keep moving from this area.

Looks like we'll have to find another way around.

Ah! Logy! Do you see that!?

Yeah. No wonder this place is so dangerous. Get ready!

The mighty dragon

Why is it so powerful!?

We're doing well! Just keep it up!

Music: FJ: Acht-Acht

Ah! Where did Reyfer get that gun!? Did you make that, Logy?

No... I've never seen anything like that before.

That dragon just completely disappeared...

Yeah... Where did it go?

Anyway, we should let Miss Marion know about this place, and maybe she can get someone out here to clear a path into the building. Hopefully we can find more around here...

Good idea.

Alright, put everything away from the Palace of Paupers... I'm ready to go to the Slag Graveyeard, Escha.

Let's go!

Could this be...? No, maybe over here...

Are you sure there's a hidden path over here?

I don't see anything promising. Are you sure it would be here?

No, I'm sure. My finely honed senses are telling me it's somewhere nearby, I just know it.

Yes, that has to be it! If you press one of those...

Th-That's amazing! I can't believe you actually found it! You really are a treasure hunter!

There was a path here all along?

...I'm impressed.

Complimenting me won't get us the treasure. The real problem is just ahead. I'll go first; who knows what's on the other side. If everything's okay, I'll call you. Hang tight!

H-Hey... Are you gonna be okay on your own?

With you guys out here to back me up, I'll have all the strength I need. I'll be right back. Make sure you don't press any of those buttons until I return.

I-I think he'll be all right... Probably...

Hey! It looks safe! C'mon, you guys!

Whew... He's fine. I'll go next. You guys take care of things on this side.

Then, I'll go, too! We might need these alchemy tools!

I'll be waiting out here. If anything happens, just holler. Hm... It looks like this button here's even more recessed than it was before...?

Logy, are you still here!?

Yeah, I'm okay. I can't see anything, either, though.

Hold on a second. I'll get a light.

...? Hey do you guys hear something?

I do hear some kind of rumbling...

What the hell!?

Huh? Eeeeeeeeeeek! What's going on!?

Dammit, the trap was on a timer! Run, quick, or we'll be pancakes!

What the heck are we supposed to now!? How do we get away!?

With traps like these, you just gotta keep running! That's how it normally works! Watch your footstep! Jump... NOW!

Waaaaaaaaah! Help meeeeeeeeeeee!

Quit whining! Just keep running!

You drat idiot! When a girl says that, you're supposed to pick her up and KEEP RUNNING!

That's impossible! We'll both get smashed to bits like that!

Gah, shut up and show me you're a man! There it is! Guys, we're gonna jump into that gap!

Gr-ah! D-Don't let go, Escha! We're almost there!

Y-Yes! I'll do my best...!

Just jump in 3...2...1... NOW!

drat! Here goes nothing! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

LOGGGYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Hahahaha... What a rush, eh?

What the hell's wrong with you!? That was horrible!

We accidentally set off a trap... But we made it back in one piece!

I'm sorry. I had absolutely no idea from over here.

I'm never doing this again! The next place we go had better be safe!

Haha, I think we've disabled all the traps now. But now, it's time for the main course... Treasure!

How can you be so composed after what just happened...? Please, let's do something safer next time.

Whatever... Let's just see what's inside...

Wow, that's fantastic! It's made out of pure gold! Now this... THIS is exactly what I'm talkin' about! This is the kinda treasure I want!

There was a hidden room back here...? But still...

What is this doing here? What's the meaning of this?

I dunno, and I duncare. Not my problem. Maybe the statue has somethin' to do with all the Slags.

Are you suggesting this culture worshiped Slags? That's very bad taste...

It looks really heavy... Is there a way we can bring it back?

Do you really intend to bring this back to Colseit!? I'm sure it's valuable, but that's impossible!

But... If we can sell this, we'd have so much money!

What are you saying!? I agree that we should take it with us, but selling it is out of the question!

Whoa, hey! Why don't you tell me what the heck it is, then? 'Cuz to me it looks like some dude with bad taste made a statue that looks like a Slag outta gold.

That might be true, but... Well, no, I suppose that's the only theory that makes sense.

W-Well, let's take a look around, anyway. There's got to be some reason for that statue being here.

So, it's really just a golden statue?

I-Impossible! Something this grand must have some great meaning behind its creation! There is a rational explanation for it. It may simply be beyond our understanding for now.

Um...but we don't know. Why don't we sell it to the local branch?

Oh? And why do you want that?

B-Because, we only found it because of you, and you worked really hard, and you're a treasure hunter. So, if we sell it to the branch, then you get paid and we still get to study it later.

...For something this bizarre, I suppose that might work.

What's this? Logy's taking my side for once? That doesn't happen often.

Well, yes, but... Technically, we were supposed to study this area.

That's why the branch could buy the statue from Reyfer, and we can do the research. Then he'll have some money, and you still get to do your research... It's the best of both worlds!

I hate to treat this as some common trinket, but... I suppose Reyfer deserves some compensation for it.

...Never mind. If that's what you two are going to say, then I'll give him credit for the find.

Now you two are finally startin' to understand the romance of treasure hunting!

Wrong. Processing this as an archeological sample would be a hassle, so you're doing our job.

Hahaha, I hear ya. Don't worry, your secret's safe with me... I know you're a burning with passion! Anyway, now that we've got that sorted out, let's get this thing back to town and make some cash! I wonder how much we'll get for you, my little Slag-treasure? Oh, you're so valuable, yes you are...!

Whew, that was close... We can't take all the credit for Reyfer's find, right?

Yeah, you're right. We did work together, after all. I guess this isn't too bad, once in a while.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 17, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, next update is going to be wrapping up the main plot of the game and basically finishing the plot. I'd say we have about 2-3 more updates worth of material (four at most, including the next update), until I'm just about ready to close the book on this and start doing the endings.

So, open question for the rest of the thread: how did this thread work out in the end? Any feedback would be both appreciated and welcome to keep in mind for Shallie, but that's not going to be posted for a while (certainly not before I've Platinum'd the game). I'm starting to think about what I want to do with that thread, but I could always keep whatever is said in mind while I think about the next Atelier thread.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I personally really liked the way you wrote the characters off-script. It gave them more depth and made them more engaging than say, Rorona where we were just shown the story. I'd like to see more of this kind of LP.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And having them comment on a situation helps make the scenes a little clearer in a screenshot format

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm pretty sure the update is XXIX and not XXXIX. Though I don't have too many comments, I don't have any complaints. I like this LP, so keep up the good work.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That boss looked like an utter bastard. So many goddamn time card effects.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can just imagine Keithgriff opening that notebook with a sarcastic note to anyone from Central City that this is the kind of research you should be doing, dickbags.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXX: The Triumphant Hero and Heroine

A giant...golden slag statue...

The people had some...interesting tastes...

Really, why did they make something like this?

Maybe the people of the past thought about the slags differently... Hey Logy, do you know anything about when slags first appeared?

Well, they didn't just "appear". As long as we've known, the slags have been around. They usually only stay near ruins, but we've seen a lot of slags that have been outside the ruins.

But those were usually different models of slags, right?

Yeah. Usually the slags you see will be big ones like the statue, smaller ones, or ones that look kind of like dogs. The ones that looked like tanks and dragons are much different...

Anyway, this is going to be an interesting report to file with Solle...

Hm? You seem to be in a good mood.

Yeah! You know that statue we found the other day? The branch paid me a pretty penny for it. Soooooo, I'm here to give you your shares, as promised.

Really? I was afraid you'd forgot about the promise and lost it all rolling dice. This is unexpected.

Thanks for the appreciation. Anyway, thanks for helping me out. This is for you.

Wow. This is quite a bit. Are you sure you want to give us this much?

Forget about it. That's just a tiny fraction of the whole amount. You can use it however you see fit.

Thank you very much! But, you're sure it's okay for us to receive a portion of this...?

Ah, don't start saying that. Threia already turned down her share, saying something along those lines... "I'm not in it for the money!" or whatever... I was just trying to share my happiness with her.

...Why don't you try seeing things her way for a change? Just when you're around her? Like, don't use the word "treasure" so often. I think a little consideration would go a long way.

Whoa whoa whoa, don't expect me to start being all high-falutin' and calling it "historical value"! It's too soon to be crackin' jokes like that, kid. All a treasure hunter needs is a treasure to hunt.

Isn't that better than arguing all the time...? C'mon, Reyfer, you're being immature.

I just don't agree with all the "nobility" that scholars like to throw around.

Don't agree with...? Do you have a reason for that?

See, scholars take the artifacts from ruins and try to use them to their advantage, right? Sure, it may help make our lives convenient, but the very people that used that technology died out. As long as what they find improves our lives, people conveniently forget that a civilization died.

That sounds like something you might say... But even alchemy isn't the answer to everything, you know?

In the end, I can see why they'd want to collect all those artifacts and say it's for our own sake... But they're pouring all this money into the process, and I think they've forgotten the real goal. We should be giving a lot more thought to the way we spend what money we have...

Wow... I'm sorry, it's just that all along I just thought you were really stingy.

C'mon, try to spare my feelings a little, huh? I mean, I don't really care, but still... You look at the big picture, and I'm able to make a living off of these so-called artifacts.

Yes, but what you say and what you do seem to be contradictory.

My point is, the value of any one treasure hinges on the person assigning the price. All this historical stuff makes less sense, but as long as it's worth something it's all good.

It's just treasure then, huh... I guess you do actually think about more stuff than it looks like.

Hm... Escha, why don't you take a break and get something to eat Duke's? I have to start working on the golden slag report. Even if R&D approved the purchase of it, Solle still needs a record of it to keep the budget in line.

Reyfer gave us a lot of money... Is it all right if we keep it, Logy?

To be honest, I'm not sure... I'll have to ask Marion about it. Anyway, can you get some materials for me, too?

Sure! I'll be right back.

Okay, thanks Duke! Oh, but the way, Ms. Linca... Congratulations on your victory in the competition.

Thank you, Escha. It's actually flattering to be praised so much, simply for eating. But those food tickets disappeared in the blink of an eye. If I had more, I'd have shared with you.

Huh!? You ate them all already!? How is that even possible!?

Boy, watching you eat sure was refreshing. I'd never expect a little doll like you to pack all that in there, and yet here you are.

My training consumes a lot of energy. The best way to replenish it is to consume provisions. Your restaurant certainly does not disappoint in that regard. I shall come back here in the future.

Hahahaha! Now that sounds promising! You're welcome to eat here any time! I guess I really shouldn't underestimate my female contestants... Escha, you want to join in the next round? You might even have a shot at the prize.

N-N-No way... I couldn't possibly eat all of that!

That reminds me, I forgot to ask when the next competition will be.

Yeah, about that... I actually stretched myself pretty thin on that last one. I'm gonna have to run this place normally for a while. I don't know when I'll have another tourney...

Is it that difficult to gather the ingredients?

Yeah, especially in that volume. It's not like everyone's dying to sell their food to me. Honestly, I barely scraped enough together this time... I don't know when I'll be able to throw another.

Th-That's...quite unfortunate. I was looking forward to winning more free meals...

I suppose it isn't easy to host contests like that, especially lately. I really wanted to watch.

...Well, don't sweat it! I never said I was never going to do another one. But, it probably won't be for another while. Just hang tight, all right?

Ah, those are some promising words. I look forward to it.

Yes yes, I can't wait till the next one, too!

Yeah... I guess I'm really doing this for the next generation of big eaters. Hahaha!

Ah, Mr. Logy!

What's up? You seem happy today.

I took your advice and sent that letter out to my parents. Do you remember what we talked about?

Oh, yeah... I remember that. Have there been any new developments?

I sent them a bunch of letters telling them how much fun my job with the R&D Division is. And the FINALLY accepted. So now there are no more letters of protest.

Wow, that actually worked? I know I'm the one who suggested it, but I'm kind of surprised.

It's all thanks to you, Mr. Logy! Oh, thank you so much!

I-I see... Well, I'm glad to be able to help you. But, it's...strange, that you actually enjoy work, Lucille.

Really?

I mean, if you have parents that worry so much about you... I thought you'd be feeling homesick.

Yeah... I get yelled at every day, so it's tough sometimes.

You think so? I really don't feel that useful, for some reason...

That's not true at all! Because, when I thanked you, you looked really happy!

Th-Those are two completely different things...!

What are you two talking about? It sounds like you're having lots of fun...

Oh, I just gave her some help with a problem. It's nothing serious, but it's been resolved, so... Yay?

Yes! It's all because you helped me, Mr. Logy!

I see... Aww, that's so nice that she's got someone she can rely on! Um, Lucille... You know you can talk to me about things, too, you know?

Huh? But, you always look so busy, Miss Escha...

Ugh... Okay, right, you have a point. But I'm supposed to be your mentor, right?

If you want to seem more reliable, maybe you should start by acting the part.

D-Do you think I look unreliable!?

No, not at all! You're both very helpful mentors to me, and I trust you both!

T-Thank you... B-But I'll try harder, too...so that you can rely on me!

...And here you are, taking advice from her. Hah. Did you get those ingredients for me, Escha?

Sure! They're right here.

*mumble* Yeah, looks like that's all of it. I want to get started right away.

A letter? I wonder who it's from. I wasn't expecting anything.

Maybe it's someone you knew from when you were working at Central Command?

I don't tell this to a lot of people, but when I was in Central City, I didn't have many friends.

Wow... I wouldn't have expected that. But, this IS addressed to you, Logy.

You're right... Who could it be?

Um, who is it from?

He's the...pilot of the airship I was trying to build before. My...friend back in Central City. But he was injured in an accident and can never fly again...

Was he your friend that was burned in the accident?

Yeah, the same one... I thought he'd hate me by now.

I don't think that's true. Hurry up, open it!

R-Right...

(I can't believe it...)

What does it say?

He'll never be a pilot again...but apparently he's doing well as an engineer. It took him a while to get his full range of motion back, but now he's living a normal life...

Wow, that's amazing! I'm glad he's doing better now.

He found out I left after he recovered, and was apparently pretty shocked. He says he wants me to come back...and that if I'm concerned about what happened, I shouldn't worry.

I... I see... U-Um, Logy? What are you going to do?

Hm? What do you mean?

Well, I was worried that maybe you would go back home...

Hahaha, I still have work here in R&D. I'm not going to up and leave.

Whew, that's a relief. We'd better write a response to your friend.

Yeah... I'll tell him I'm doing my best here. And if we ever get the chance, we should meet up. If I tell him we built a dreadnaught, he'll lose his mind. Let's send him some apples, too.

Colseit's specialty! Leave it to me to pick out the best ones!

Sure. I'll be looking forward to it.

...It's great that you can still be friends with each other, even after everything that happened.

Escha, I think we'd better head to the Fallen Ruins. We're as prepared as we're going to get...and we need to save Flameu before anything worse happens to her.

Yeah, you're right... I should get everything ready.

Right.

Violet sky

Music: Sleeping Nest

...Wh-What is that thing?

There are flowers blooming here...? How can that be? I've never seen those flowers before.

Neither have I... What the heck is going on here?

Logy, do you remember what Flameu said? About making Spring bloom again?

Is this what she meant...? Then Flameu must've known this was going to happen... Which means her true goal is...?

Let's go, Logy. There has to be something deeper inside.

It's beautiful, but kinda scary...

Yeah. Even I'm kind of nervous about this...

If I was able to hear her voice, then maybe I could talk to her, too...

Do I really have the ability to save that girl...?

These are definitely the remains of the Unexplored Ruins... I never thought I'd be exploring them like this.

The sign of the girl

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a good idea to touch that.

Let's not touch this, it scares me.

It has an eerie feel to it, as if powers will be unleashed if we destroy it.

I think the owner will be angry if we break it.

I don't know about it, but let's see what happens if I break it...

... Did anything happen?

Okay, so what happens?

Hm... That scary feeling I have is only getting stronger.

This place is incredibly strange... Let's just keep moving. Who knows when the path could collapse from the weight of all these flowers?

Escha, there's another one of those weird honeycomb things in the back. Do you want to investigate it?

Something about it is making me nervous... Nothing happened the last time.

That's true, but...

We broke it, but was it all right to begin with?

Is it just me, or does it feel like it's getting more dangerous? It would help if we knew what these things were...

We should just keep going...

Let me try this time.

Escha, do the walls feel..strange to you?

Now that you mention it, yeah... It's like it's never the same shape.

We're pretty deep inside now, and we still haven't seen Flameu.

Well , we knew she's here. It's only a matter of time until we find her.

I think I see another honeycomb thing. Are we going to destroy that, too?

Well, we destroyed the other three. I still don't know what they do, but things seem to be going okay so far. What could it hurt?

There's something up ahead... It looks like...

Solitary girl

That's...!

Flameu...

...This girl is Flameu? She's so small...

Are you...the cradle? Is it really you?

Flameu, can you hear my voice? This is Nio.

Nio... A nice name... A beautiful name, cradle. ...Who are the rest of you? Are you friends of the cradle?

You don't remember me? I am Clone...

Remember...? I... What is it about you... I...!

I was not expecting her memory to have...eroded this much. I'm afraid that this is...

Flameu. My name is Escha Malier. I'm an alchemist from Colseit.

Escha Malier... Oh, yes. You too, are... I had thought that you'd run away long ago...

I won't run. I promise I won't run. We've come to save you, Flameu!

...I decided that I wouldn't rely on you anymore. You have no patience, easily betray your friends, and lie without a thought. You lack the will to make decisions. You are very vague...very difficult.

But, we want to become your friends, Flameu. Being all along here is no good. Let's go home, together. You can live in Colseit with us, and make new memories.

Please, wake up, Flameu. It must be so painful for you right now... I heard your voice, crying for help the whole time. Which is why we've...

It is too late. Autumn has come and gone, and so we must make Spring bloom once more. If you intend to prevent that, then I'm sorry...but I don't care who you are. I cannot allow it.

She disappeared again... But I'm sure she went deeper into the ruins.

...I apologize. I think I've lost my reason to go further. It would seem I am incapable of convincing that child.

Clone, you've come so far... Anyway, we have to keep moving forward... Flameu, I promise we'll save you.

Come on, Escha. Let's go.

This is it...

Resolution

The sun has gone cold and died. Even the green earth has turned brown. There is no one left. Not a single soul. Where have they all gone? I'm...all alone now...

I'm not sure what you're trying to say... I'm not sure, but... ...It's not right for you to be suffering all on your own. I know that it's wrong!

I'm...suffering? Why am I suffering? I don't understand...

There's something I can do here.

If you work with us, together, then every day will be better and better!

...I"m sorry, but I have a promise to keep. A very very important promise. That is the sole purpose of my life right now. So please, do not interfere. I no longer need a helping hand from humans.

Escha, it's no use. Flameu wants to use her failed research to try and save the world. We have to stop her, here.

I'm ready... If this is the only way to save her, that's what we'll do! Let's go!

Grand Slam

Music: Colony Collapse Disorder

What do you intend to accomplish? I can't tell anymore...

I never wanted it to come to this, but there's no turning back now!

She's so powerful... Did we do something bad by destroying those objects!?

If we're going to defeat Flameu, Escha, we need to use everything we have!

We're doing well so far...

This is a special bomb!

Why do you insist on interfering? This is something I must do.

I...I don't want to return to darkness!

I have a promise... A promise I made to keep.

She's unleashing her true power!

This is it. Escha. Hold on!

Logy, are you okay!?

Yeah, barely... We need to finish this now!

Logy!

Don't be afraid. Let's go together.

Owwww.... What should I do...?

Sorry. I'll pull myself together.

Escha. It's time to finish this. Let's use a Double Draw and defeat Flameu!

I understand. Let's go!

I'll show you my secret!

Just hold on a little longer...

I can't let it end here!

Why does nobody...

Hear my side? I can't...keep...

Return to the Spring

Flameu...

Spring has come... Surely my promise will be fulfilled...someday. ...Huh? Promise... What was my promise...? I do not know... I cannot remember!

So, you have forgotten even that. It was your one true desire...

I'm glad we made it in time... I tried everything I could to bring her back. Clone, you have to face Flameu!

...Yeah, you're right, Nio.

You're...Clone? Clone...!? No, this isn't possible. You left me, and sided with the humans...!

No, you were the ones who left everyone else. You took to the skies, to be on your own.

...Ah...Ahh! Is...is that true? It can't be...

The lands continue to wither. In order to stop it, you continued your research on your own.

But...the humans would not share my path. They would not walk at my side...would not save the earth. I had stopped relying on the humans to help me. Yes... But you... You were different.

Geosys alone could never save this world. No matter how difficult it would be, we had to work together.

No! That's not true! That's why I flew into the skies...

Yes, you wouldn't know. You left all your friends behind. But, you left me a single apple seed.

I did...what?

The seed you left me now produces so many apples that I cannot gather the crops without help from others.

Yes, that's right... A strong apple tree that would not be defeated by anything... Why...? Why did I...?

You made a promise, a very valuable promise, to me. But, that does not matter anymore. That promise is a thing of the past...

...Ahhh! That's right, I...I made a promise with you, Clone! A very valuable...promise! While you planted trees, I would find out why the earth was withering...and I would return! And... And then once I knew, I would come back to you, and we would enjoy the apples...together!

Yes...yes! I'm home, Clone... I'm back!

Welcome home, Flameu. Your long journey is over.

I'm so sorry... I just didn't understand. I couldn't keep our promise.

As did I... But the research doesn't matter anymore. I'm just glad to see you again. I know I was supposed to welcome you home, but it took a little longer than I'd hoped... I'm sorry.

I had a very valuable...very important friend, close to me. That's what kept me going so long.

I see... I didn't know anything. Clone was in our town this whole time, but I didn't know any of this...

There was no need for you to know... Having friends provides all the motivation one needs.

Of course!

Thank you very much. I'm truly glad to have met you, Escha.

Flameu... She disappeared. But why?

She's not human like us anymore. Perhaps when the interface was destroyed...she disappeared, too.

No... Flameu was simply bound to the Geosys for the time being. But she must have gone somewhere else.

That's true... I've seen lots of ruins like this one. Also... For some reason, it's like... I can still feel Flameu near me. I can sense her.

Hey, do you think we were able to save her?

Yes, of course! If we hadn't, she wouldn't have smiled the way she did. The Bumblebee Princess' story finally has a happy end, thanks to all of you.

I wonder where she'll go now? Will we ever see her again?

I'm sure you will. As long as there are more Geosys facilities in the world, she will continue to exist.

Yeah... I'm sure we will, someday.

Flameu... I will be waiting for you to finish your journey. I'll wait as long as I have to.

The journey home

Music: Pluie

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 21, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Couple notes about Flameu: your actions determine how hard she is. There are four of those honeycomb things in the final dungeon, and each one you destroy ups Flameu's level (she starts at level 50). To actually have those level ups come into play, when you're given the choice before the big battle, if you say "Fix the mistake", then Flameu's level increases corresponding to the number of honeycombs you destroyed (up to a max level of 99, the highest level an enemy can go). If you say "I want to help you", then Flameu just defaults to level 50.

Interesting thing is, there is no point to destroying those honeycombs. You do not need to do that at all to continue with the game or fight Flameu. The only point is to get one of the Gold trophies for this game. But, I felt it only right to fight Flameu at her strongest during this fight. Neither choice changes the dialogue much at all, and certainly nothing in the story.

In the video, I made Flameu not look *that* hard, but trust me, she's a pain in the rear end. All of my equipment is at max level for this fight, and she still gave me a really hard time. The general strategy with her is to get Loving Soul on everyone's armor in this fight (also a Brother Call accessory, which pretty much does the same thing), which increases the Damage Rate MUCH faster than without Loving Soul. You bump that up to 200%, then you hit Flameu with Threia's Catastrophe to bump the rate up even higher, AND debuff her. Then you hit her with a powerful Double Draw item, like the Knowledge Book, Tauzent Blitz, or the Dimension Bomb. If you're on a New Game+ with the opposite character, you get the advantage of being able to use both the Knowledge Book or Tauzent Blitz (by buying an Experiment from Marion that transfers all your Search equipment over from the previous playthrough), but on a New Game, the Dimension Bomb works as a poor man's Book or Blitz. Properties that will really help on your attack items are Super Properties, Jumbo Blessing, and Cost Bonus (for the Book), or Light Core for the Tauzent. Godkiller Power increases your attack item's power by 150%, so it's a decent substitute for Cost Bonus.

Flameu's a pretty interesting boss, and a boss who is more or less on a timer. She has four phases (starts in Spring, ends in Winter), and during each phase, if she lingers in it long enough, she'll add her own timed attacks. The first timed attack (which are infinite), happens the first time you attack her with something other than an item. The idea with her is to knock out about 25% of her HP, then crush her with a very powerful Double Draw combo to bring her health down to its last 25%, which will skip the Summer and Fall phases and move right to Winter. Once in Winter, she's going to significantly up her parameters and add a bunch of powerful attacks, but the worst part is that her stats are going to skyrocket, and they'll only increase every turn. You really need to finish Winter fast, because more than a few turns go by, and you're basically done for.

And also, while Colony Collapse Disorder is a pretty sweet final boss theme, if you're fighting Flameu two dozen times or so (like last time I played through this game with Logy), it'll start to give you a headache fast. That infinite and auto-use Elixir Base that increases the Support Gauge every time it is used is an enormous help, and probably why this time through the game, defeating Flameu didn't take nearly as long. I wanted to finish her off with a level 3 Tauzent Blitz, but I was afraid between Escha's Dimension Bomb and Threia's Catastrophe, I would have killed her before that happened, so we'll have to settle for second best. I'll show off level 3 when I get to the Palace Depths boss battles.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 20, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

She honestly did not look easy. You have an auto item that has a time card effect and a revive property and she still KO'd two of your dudes. And yeah holy loving time cards batman. I think you had like three on you at the end of the fight. I guess that you could beat her easily if you used both New Game + stuff, but that would have been an anti-climax.

I sorta like Maria more than this theme, though I admit both themes fit their bosses really well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I never thought about this while playing the game, but who carved the lithograph anyway? I mean, the people who were alive in the previous civilization probably wouldn't have thought of computer interfaces and automata as gods or angels, and probably wouldn't carve many things in stone either, but would future generations have even known that Flameu was up there on that floating island? I guess it could be early post-apocalyse?

Is there a transcription of the lyrics to Colony Collapse Syndrome?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

So Flameu is found and fought!

Just one thing, "Ah, Mr. Logy!" is Logy talking to himself, but then the scene afterwards is copied straight from the previous update.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Worth noting is that Logy's Tauzant Double Draw is a reference to Vayne's Finishing Burst from Mana Khemia. Complete with the darkness chains and the conjured , giant, dark sword. Both are called Einzelakampf.

And Threia's non-finishing limit break is Keith's non-finishing LB. Both conjure orbs and toss them at their enemies. Maybe Threia should take up smoking so that she can make explosive vortexes?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Roro posted:

Just one thing, "Ah, Mr. Logy!" is Logy talking to himself, but then the scene afterwards is copied straight from the previous update.

Not that anyone is surprised I'm stupid, but it's not now. After I posted the last update I was wondering if I missed a Logy-Lucille scene, and it turns out I was. I went back and replaced this update's Logy-Lucille scene with the right scene, where Logy actually does make the proposal that she follows up on.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Bonus Update 6

Artwork:

To the World's End
Promise at the Ruins
Storyteller of Dusk
Storyteller of Dusk+
Act like an Adult
Girls Association
Like Father, Like Son
Eating Contest

Ruins - Collapsed

Airship concept art
Micie concept art 1
Micie concept art 2
Katla concept art 1
Katla concept art 2
Clone concept art 1
Clone concept art 2
Harry concept art 1
Harry concept art 2
Marion concept art 1
Marion concept art 2

Music:

Backlight
A twilight backlight. That's enough to make some people cry. Make the setting a hill or rooftop, and set a town as the backdrop, and that makes it even worse. If the heroine starts talking while both smiling and crying, that's the final straw. (Yanagawa)

Promise (Dusk Hill)
The BGM when arriving at the Hill of Twilight. I had Kinoshita play the piano in the other track, but I played the piano in this one. (Shimoda)

Sleeping Nest
Considering the themes in this game, overall it seems the number of tracks using ethnic instruments is low. This track does not use them either. Oh right, in the latter part there's a familiar tune in there. Perhaps you will recognize it if you played the previous game? If not, please try it! (Yanagawa)

For followers of the Ayesha thread, can YOU name the song Yanagawa is referring to? It's Sleeping Earth. It played at the Altugle Herb Garden.

Colony Collapse Disorder
The last boss choral song with an unusual name, in 11/4 time. I've wanted to create a progressive and powerful last boss choral piece with the Suginami Junior Chorus for many years, and I was finally able to do so with this game. I think this track has extraordinary impact, so I hope you enjoy it. (Shimoda)

The Promise
The choral version of this game's main theme. The Suginami Junior Chorus has featured in many anime and movies, and since it's a junior choir it has unique vocal characteristics, giving it unique thematic effects. I wanted to compose a piece like this, so I am grateful to everyone. (Shimoda)

Pluie
Continuing from her work in Ayesha, Rurutia returns in this game to give us a new original song. This time the song is quite gentle, and perfectly fitting for the feeling afer accomplishing a major goal. Please enjoy the full version! (Okamura)

Rurutia does some good work. Mystic Pendulum in the last game and Pluie here are among my favorite songs from both games.

FJ: Acht-Acht
Unlike last game's ill-tempered old man with glasses, Reyfer really does fit the image of using an "Ultimate" attack. Also, you will only hear Dani's slick guitar solos in the Atelier series! I think! (Achiwa)

Documents:

Classical Alchemy

Alchemy based on older techniques are sometimes much more effective than modern alchemy.

Dragon's Nest

While dragons are rare, there is one area where they are constantly seen. There may be a reason why...

Videos:

Flameu's research - Part 1
Flameu's research - Part 2

While these are in the bonus update, they are pretty interesting, I think. I preferred Escha's version of these events (the two voiced scenes after coming back from the Unexplored Ruins), as they have a more personal tone than Logy's side, but recommended checking out.

Logy and Flameu - 1
Logy and Flameu - 2

New Game Escha Flameu battle

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Man - calling her boss theme "Colony Collaspe Disorder" makes perfect sense with Flemcu's motif, and also pretty creepy

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

Man - calling her boss theme "Colony Collaspe Disorder" makes perfect sense with Flemcu's motif, and also pretty creepy

The lyrics are also creepy. "D-D-Decay. C-C-Collapse. T-T-T-he End. F-F-Finale. Ex-Ex-Extermination. Ex-Ex-Extinction. D-D-Darkness. M-M-Murder."

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 21, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

The lyrics are also creepy. "D-D-Decay. C-C-Collapse. T-T-T-he End. F-F-Finale. Ex-Ex-Extermination. Ex-Ex-Extinction. D-D-Darkness. M-M-Murder."

Holy smokes, really? I just assumed it was pleasant-sounding nonsense like most RPG battle themes with lyrics, but that's surprisingly grim for this series.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sylphid posted:

Holy smokes, really? I just assumed it was pleasant-sounding nonsense like most RPG battle themes with lyrics, but that's surprisingly grim for this series.

The lyrics sort of sound like Flameu is singing them. "The cycle of ruin and rebirth continues".

The golem battle music is called "Worship, for we are sacred."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
But... what was that station doing, all this time? I suppose the white flowers are a thing, but did it just hibernate from some time long in the past, until we went up there?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

She apparently took to the skies to escape people, but she ended up being there for so long that she forgot her original mission. I guess Escha and Logy's trespassing woke her up and she hastily tried to put her plan into action, whatever she remembered of it at least.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Sylphid posted:

This is Gust, the company that made up entire languages to sing the important music in for the Ar series games.

If you haven't already, try looking up the lyrics for those on youtube some time, the lyrics are reflective of the emotional state of the singer and sometimes they can get pretty creepy as well.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Tarezax posted:

This is Gust, the company that made up entire languages to sing the important music in for the Ar series games.

If you haven't already, try looking up the lyrics for those on youtube some time, the lyrics are reflective of the emotional state of the singer and sometimes they can get pretty creepy as well.

I want to point out that Tarezax is underselling this a bit. They have made 4 separate languages for it by now: Hymmnos, Pastalie, Carmela Formeluna, and Ar Ciela (with two dialects). I'm going to sound very critical in these short descriptions, but I wanna point out that I am rather impressed with the amount of thought and work put into all this as part of the lore.

Hymmnos is the most ... straightforward, I guess? It's certainly the one with the most information available. Emotion is a required component of every sentence. It's kind of an odd mix of English, German, Japanese, and Sanskrit. There's a few cognates you can pick out here and there, but the grammar's totally cracked out if you're trying to pidgin it from those.

Pastalian shares some 'backwards compatibility' with Hymmnos but is based around "emotion verbs" and "emotion vowels" within other words. When you see it written out in English transliteration, the capitalization looks like a loving mess.

Carmela Formeluna is a special kind of linguistic nightmare; each letter of each word is an entire concept, so a sentence is condensed into a single word's length. It has no set vocabulary, and is entirely dependent on the speaker's interpretation. Blegh.

Ar Ciela is the new games' addition, though being as it's a prequel miniseries, it's chronologically older. The "public" version of it is "limited" to sounds audible by human ears - and because that's actually a limiting factor, nobody bothers to try understanding this version of the language, because that range of sounds is somehow not enough to convey the meanings. Good gravy.

If any of you are language nerds that find any of this interesting like I do, you can read more here. On the one hand, obvious spoilers, but on the other, I definitely can't recommend actually jumping into the series for everyone. :ohdear:

..... What was the point I was going for...? Oh right. Yeah, don't ever assume anything you hear in a Gust game is meaningless noise. It may not be worth your time to figure out what they're saying, but chances are it does mean something. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

In the update Escha said "I suppose it isn't easy to hot contests like that, especially lately." Is she saying host?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Hell yeah? Hell yeah!

Just now, I have defeated the super boss of the Palace Depths. I have to make extensive use of a Knowledge Book with Super Properties, Jumbo Blessing, and Cost Bonus to do it, but I smoked that guy something good. I'll have to post a failure run to illustrate just how obnoxious one boss can get. Thing with him is that if you pussyfoot around with him, he'll activate an absolutely killer timed attack, and guess what? He's one of those super fun bosses that *significantly* heals himself every time an ally is KO'd. And we're not talking namby-pamby heals, either. Heals in the nature of 30-100,000 HP every time an ally is KO'd. He's a charmer, that one.

Oh, and if that's not enough, he'll activate a SECOND timed attack. That's about 6 attacks, not including his own. And, taking a page from our old pal Gio, one of his moves is to give him a free extra turn. I swear to god, one time I was fighting him he was spamming that like crazy, and ended up getting like 7 turns in a row. Oh, and when he heals, he changes the Field Effect. Can be something bad for him ("bad" being quite relative for him), or devastating for you. How does not being able to heal sound?

The first boss of the Depths is actually quite pleasant. He's a big punching bag of 999999 HP, but with ultimate items and equipment, he's fun to smack senseless, because that wall of HP goes down a lot faster than you think. I actually didn't know you could use two Super Moves in one combo until today.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 21, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Raitzeno posted:

I definitely can't recommend actually jumping into the series for everyone. :ohdear:

Nonsense! Take the plunge! Let the madness consume you. Was wol gaya clemezen mea :unsmigghh:

Sylphid posted:

And, taking a page from our old pal Gio, one of his moves is to give him a free extra turn. I swear to god, one time I was fighting him he was spamming that like crazy, and ended up getting like 7 turns in a row.

Monster skills that give free turns are the worst bullshit. You can basically lose without being able to do any inputs. At least Gust only uses this for optional bosses, unlike Atlus. Or the guys who made Sands of Destruction.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 21, 2014

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Roro posted:

Edit: When you say Hat Girl, do you mean Katla or Lucille? Katla's face reminds me of Rorona sometimes, while Lucille has a touch of Totori in her face and hairstyle.

Oops, completely missed this. :sweatdrop: Yeah, I meant "Hat Girl" from Clone's storybook bits. I've only played a couple Atelier games, so I was curious if she was supposed to be [or just look like] an older character. It's still fun to poke at how an alchemist from the distant past has the same sort of cutesy "uniform" they always have.

Speaking of Rorona, I was playing my favorite new character in Dynasty Warriors 8, and got a pleasant surprise upon checking the PSN store. :allears:

Good job with True Flameu and the bonus boss, Sylphid. :D I wasn't sure if your Knowledge Book was going to be up to the task, heh. My big gripe with both of those fights is the thing Neoman noticed; they cover the board in so many automatic effects (which you can't Guard against) it's essentially impossible to win the fights "fairly." I tried basically everything I could think of to handle them like normal bosses (min-maxed defense, full elemental resists, weapons specially tailored to the bosses with [type] Slayer, etc.) and couldn't do it. You have to use alchemy items/finishers* to blast through some of their mode changes, and preferably the last one. The Palace boss goes into beast mode [as it were] at about 60% health, so you poke it until about that point and then try to demolish it in one or two combos. It's frustrating and I don't think there's any other way.

* I don't know if Sylph covered this is one of the mechanics updates, but basically Skill bonuses in weapons/accessories are the Power and Glory. Up to 100% Skill applies to everything a character does (basic attacks, items, supports), and then the full amount is applied to actual Skills (from the menu) and finishing moves. I dumped basically everything I could on Threia's skill (since hers do the highest base damage to start with that I could tell) and broke 100k damage with Ancient Gem after a big combo.

SSNeoman posted:

Monster skills that give free turns are the worst bullshit. You can basically lose without being able to do any inputs.

Yeah, exactly. Luckily, at least if you have the DLC; the player benefits from it much more than the enemies. The move is guaranteed to generate one bonus turn and has very low odds of getting more, and there are only two bosses [I think] that have it, while you have Micie for most of the game. He's the other good choice to pump Skill (as opposed to 4 God Attack and such) since you'll be using his every turn.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Nonsense! Take the plunge! Let the madness consume you. Was wol gaya clemezen mea :unsmigghh:

I don't know what's worse, that you took the time to write that hymmnos or that I almost immediately understood it.

Also, GUST really loves final boss music where the lyrics are essentially "YOU GUYS hosed UP" judging from this and AT3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Another thing that's kind of important with that boss is that the damage the Knowledge Book does can vary wildly. It can do about 50-70000 damage at its lowest with the three big properties I mentioned, or, assuming the Damage Rate is past 350%, 100-150,000 damage if you get lucky. So, a big part of that fight is just getting lucky, as cheesy as it sounds. Luckily, the first boss before the bad boy is pretty easy and is basically no threat, so at least it's easy getting back to him.

But yeah, the problem with fighting him without relying on ultimate items is he simply attacks too much, and that you can't guard against those drat Heavenly Arrows attacks. Defeating him as normally as possible would be ideal, but I'm prepared to sacrifice beating something "honorably" to actually beating something any day of the week. There are some exceptions, but not many. That's mostly the reason for the failure attempt video, because he does have some pretty cool-looking attacks, and words alone cannot suffice for how singularly obnoxious he can be when he activates his second timed attack line-up.

• Locked thread