Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

And so ends one of the most epic LPs I've ever read. Thank you for this Speedball, for giving us such an awesome story and for making it through the year even through everything that happened. You are the true hero of XCOM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Good job on the LP, Speedball.
Also you did well with the final mission (even if it was a tad too anime for me :v: ): the Temple Ship really doesn't give you a lot of material to work with due to how it's set up (the "victory lap" mentioned by others), and even in Jade's LP they had a bonus episode where apostateCourier did a solo run of it to make up for its shortcomings.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Thanks for the LP, Speedball, can't wait for your next one!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
This was a fun ride Speedball. I'll admit I didn't really get the ending, but in some way I think it has more to do with the game itself than with your writing. I'll be looking forward to the next LP, but do take some time off before throwing yourself into another one. A bit of rest does anyone good.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Good job. You deserve a break.
See you in 2035, around... August? Maybe November?

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the LP Speedball, can't wait to see what you get up to in the future

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
This has been an amazing LP, Speedball, and it'll be great to see your next project when you're ready. Thank you!
(Still can't quite believe I'm in the second post.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://explorminate.net/2016/01/21/amplitude-studios-announces-a-new-faction-and-expansion/

Hahaha they keep expanding it! STILL! What company does this!?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The ride never ends

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait...
When he said "see you in 2035", he meant he wouldn't LP XCOM 2 until 2035!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for the LP, Speedball! It was a fun read.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Junpei posted:

Wait...

Junpei, your being silly. Sometimes that can be funny, other times it can make you look dumb. Currently, due to your current track record (and lack of smiley clearly indicating this is a joke, such as :v:) this just looks kinda dumb, hate to burst your bubble.

But let's see what happens when we add that smiley.

When he said "see you in 2035", he meant he wouldn't LP XCOM 2 until 2035! :v:

Far more obvious it's a joke that way. I suggest you use this technique in the future.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Junpei posted:

Wait...

Yes, this is exactly what he meant. Better strap in for the long haul.
Or you could remember that XCOM 2 is set in 2035, either way really.

Anywho, thank you Speedball for a very entertaining LP, I'm looking forward to whatever you're going to tackle next.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Awesome run Speedball. I enjoyed it a lot!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It was fun, and I enjoyed it, but I do have to agree with the complaints, in that I spent most of the updates since the the Overseer Ship (or whichever was the big ship before the Temple Ship) wanting Cam to die because there really were way too few people dead, and Cam was the one with the least personality, it didn't detract TOO bad from my enjoyment of the LP.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Senerio posted:

It was fun, and I enjoyed it, but I do have to agree with the complaints, in that I spent most of the updates since the the Overseer Ship (or whichever was the big ship before the Temple Ship) wanting Cam to die because there really were way too few people dead, and Cam was the one with the least personality, it didn't detract TOO bad from my enjoyment of the LP.

It's been said, but there's not a hell of a lot to be done in late game: regeneration and stabilization basically allow someone to keep their whole team alive for as long as their abilities last; the flip side, obviously, is that any situation that's dangerous to need both of those abilities will either end with a length hospital stay for a few people, or a full party wipe. Hell, go look at the LP archives grimdark LP of the original Xcom at the highest difficulty: even in the original game, soldiers who got to a high rank almost never died without "narrative" intervention, no abilities required.

Besides, would Cam dying to something that the party can totally defeat without suffering any deaths really be interesting?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

thetruegentleman posted:

Besides, would Cam dying to something that the party can totally defeat without suffering any deaths really be interesting?

With Cam basically being the leader of the soldiers, losing Cam would lead to episodes involving a vacuum at the top of the chain, and having characters get over it. Especially if the death was after the wedding.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, some characters very nearly died including Latisha and Gomez. They just went to critical instead of dying instantly. If they had died I would have roleplayed it as such.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Speedball posted:

Well, some characters very nearly died including Latisha and Gomez. They just went to critical instead of dying instantly. If they had died I would have roleplayed it as such.

I think maybe this is where we are getting the breakdown in communication.
I think that Speedball has been playing X-Com and then making a narrative to go along with the events that transpired, as opposed to creating a narrative first and then playing the game in such a way as to create certain circumstances.
Well, it's probably a combination of the two, but that seems to be the majority impression I'm getting from this statement.
Speedball, care to let us see behind the curtain?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

I think maybe this is where we are getting the breakdown in communication.
I think that Speedball has been playing X-Com and then making a narrative to go along with the events that transpired, as opposed to creating a narrative first and then playing the game in such a way as to create certain circumstances.
Well, it's probably a combination of the two, but that seems to be the majority impression I'm getting from this statement.
Speedball, care to let us see behind the curtain?

I didn't have any tools to cause scripted events to happen. Most of the time its just me screening exactly what happened in a mission with no double takes or going back to earlier saves, and I adlibbed character dialogue. There's been tomes I make a save at the start of a mission and play without screenshots for fun, and my play immediately got more sloppy and often characters died.

Then I say to myself, okay, time to get to work, start over, start screenshots and adlib and usually the mission goes way better because I'm spending minutes on each move.

When Allen died it took me by complete surprise, but I hada good shot of it and thought, okay, I can work with this. Same for Frida Wright's death. Spun it into a big reversal of fortune for the characters.

I did have multiple save files to mess with player expectations during the Alien Base and Temple Ship missions.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, the reason I never brought it up before now is because A) It never really impacted my enjoyment of the LP, and B) the issue isn't with the player, but the rng that runs the game. Never even considered that Speedball would have reset the game had Cam died for narrative sake.

I would just have loved to see some of the more established characters die to bad luck, leading to Volunteer Zinchenko.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What's funny is the RNG kept making my jokes for me. Zin takes an 89% shot, still misses. Another at 86. Switches to pistols, has a better time. Two big enemies get weakened next to each other and her, Zin is within grenade range...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, I guess the RNG likes Zinchenko too much to make him the Volunteer. :(

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Permission to make some XCOM 2 narrative for you to consider, Sir!
Latisha-in-XCOM-2 Runs into the three others doing the opening mission. She joins in, and New-XCOM (re)hires her. She meets old (Older, alternate Bradford and Hilda, who runs the Guerilla Training School), semi-old(Frieda's sons and Zin's Daughter) and new faces, while keeping her alternate-dimension status safe. Oh, and The Commander is still an Ethereal, but is possessing a human called Terrence Duncan in a Hazama-and-Terumi fashion.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Terrence who? Hazama what?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Siegkrow posted:

Terrence who? Hazama what?

Terrence Duncan is just a random name I came up with.
Hazama-and-Terumi was a Blazblue reference. In the games, Hazama is an artificial body created to make a vessel for an spirit... Thing called Terumi. They are different, but are sort of blended together personality wise.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A better writer than me used to talk about how he didn't like his readers to try to give him ideas. "And if you tell it to me that guarantees I'll never write it." I'm all for audience participation but now I get where he was coming from.

Junpei, thank you for your enthusiasm but you are not helping me. I encourage you instead to write your own stories in your own place.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 24, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Junpei is a gimmick poster and not worth paying attention to

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Speedball posted:

A better writer than me used to talk about how he didn't like his readers to try to give him ideas. "And if you tell it to me that guarantees I'll never write it." I'm all for audience participation but now I get where he was coming from.

Junpei, thank you for your enthusiasm but you are not helping me. I encourage you instead to write your own stories in your own place.

I'm glad you even looked my idea, sir. I hope I sparked an original idea in your head for you to use.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Speedball posted:

I encourage you instead to write your own stories in your own place.

Finally, my ZinchenkoXBaseCommander fanfic's time has come! See, Zinchenko gets secretly kidnapped by the councilman during the last mission, but the Base Commander manages to track him down and...and...uh...

The idea might still need a little bit more time to develop.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

That and the whole plagiarism thing. But yeah, prompts are better than specific story ideas for helping writers.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That and the whole plagiarism thing. But yeah, prompts are better than specific story ideas for helping writers.

Well, to be fair, that's about all I could write without further knowledge of the plot.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Say, Speedball, do you still plan to do Endless Legend if they are still releasing DLC? I vaguely remember you saying that you don't like LPing games that still are releasing DLC...

Edit: Also, did you ever reveal the commander's name? If I'm not wrong it was Asaru, right?

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 24, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Say, Speedball, do you still plan to do Endless Legend if they are still releasing DLC? I vaguely remember you saying that you don't like LPing games that still are releasing DLC...

Edit: Also, did you ever reveal the commander's name? If I'm not wrong it was Asaru, right?

You're correct about that last part but I never found a good reason to bring it up.

As for Endless Legend... yeah. Thinking instead of burning myself out on another narrative LP immediately I'll wait. I have other things I could try too, like a Hard West LP. That has its own narrative, it's got six or seven different story campaigns which are each short.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And it looks kind of X-Com too, which could be a plus (transferring the skills honed here, for example).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Exactly!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Well, whichever you decide to do, I'm looking forward to it! Your LPs are always enjoyable.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Junpei is a gimmick poster and not worth paying attention to

No poo poo but he's so good at it,

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Chard posted:

No poo poo but he's so good at it,

Actually, I'm pretty sure Junpei simply suffers from a somewhat more severe case of autism than I do, leading to having less self-control than I do (I know, a terrifying thought) which coupled with an urge to say whatever comes to mind (which I know I certainly have) results in looking like an idiot. Still, I have hope they can learn (eventually) what is appropriate and what isn't, lord knows I have enough trouble with trying not to say inappropriate things, to the point I even use my signature as a warning.

Point is, if possible, try not to be too hard on them, and try to encourage them to learn more self-control, hopefully it'll eventually take. I mean, I used to do dumb poo poo with higher frequency than I do now, if you were here for the Big Boss CIV LP than you should know.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Stephen9001 posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure Junpei simply suffers from a somewhat more severe case of autism than I do, leading to having less self-control than I do (I know, a terrifying thought) which coupled with an urge to say whatever comes to mind (which I know I certainly have) results in looking like an idiot. Still, I have hope they can learn (eventually) what is appropriate and what isn't, lord knows I have enough trouble with trying not to say inappropriate things, to the point I even use my signature as a warning.

Point is, if possible, try not to be too hard on them, and try to encourage them to learn more self-control, hopefully it'll eventually take. I mean, I used to do dumb poo poo with higher frequency than I do now, if you were here for the Big Boss CIV LP than you should know.

If it helps, I have high functioning autism too. Thirty-one years has gone along way to temper me, but I have my embarrassing stories, my awful posting (even here it rears its head from time to time, hence my probation's) history and that occasional lapse into complete inability to self-censor.

Its not something you ever get over, but it is something you learn to re-wire yourself around having. Like leaning on the other leg more after you get an injury. Self-awareness helps, so does it being pointed out.

Mostly dont beat yourself over the head (or others!) with it. Its cool, people will make fun of you for it, others will nod and say "been there, done that, know how you feel." Thats just how life goes. :haw:

But I agree, Junpei simply lacks self-censorship. I think I've suggested "write something, walk away/do something else, check back and see if its worth posting." before. God alone knows how many near-posts I have, then realized "This adds nothing / Is just me ranting / I'm just being a dick to someone." and deleted it.

Anyway, I hope that puts this to rest. This ain't exactly the right place for this kind of talk, but I have no idea if SA has somewhere for that kind of thing.

• Locked thread