Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm looking over lists and poo poo and I can't find anything that's deemed acceptable to play. There's only garbage like Secret of the Stars and other half assed abominations. I've got Final Fantasies 1-6, as well as Dragon Quest 1-6, I've got stuff like Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermoore, Illusion of Gaia, Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force 1 and 2, Phantasy Stars 1-4, breath of Fire 1 and 2, Paladin Quest, Chrono Trigger, Mother 2/Earthbound, Sword of Vermillion, Super Mario RPG and probably others I'm forgetting.

But I mean that's it every single thing that someone could make an abomination out of with stupid fan art I've experienced. There is nothing left in this classic gaming era to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Suck my cock

Dec 26, 2012

he said 8 bit, not 8cm

Chelovek-Govno
Aug 11, 2014

Zamorozhenaia Zhopa

I hardly think his fellating you would solve the problem the OP has expressed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lufia 2 and glitch the hell out of it

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Live a live maybe?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
May as well quit while you're ahead, OP. The RPG quality-to-poo poo ratio takes a nosedive after the 16-bit era.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

No Such Thing posted:

Live a live maybe?

That wasn't released in America. Because I thought of that but import prices are loving screwy right now due to Japan having an actual 18th century banking system. I'm glad I imported Bahamut Lagoon before everything went to poo poo though.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 25, 2014

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
well op looks like it's time for you to make your own 6/16 bit rpgs to play

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Maybe it's time to move on to the Handheld era of good RPGs, either that or move onto the good PC Rpgs like Arcanum or Baldur's Gate

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

stoutfish posted:

well op looks like it's time for you to make your own 6/16 bit rpgs to play

Time to have Skyrim be played in the way it was always meant to be, as an isometric view game with sprites that look like vague objects.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There already was a 16-bit Skyrim, it was called Golden Sun. It has all the essential Skyrim characteristics: Norse imagery, caves, boredom.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Play the Exile games from Spiders Software

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

what about the old-timey ultimas on the pc

gold box ssi games maybe

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Coolguye posted:

Play the Exile games from Spiders Software

i wish these were runnable in a mode besides 640x480

i don't like avernum as much

Dec 26, 2012

its pretty hard for me to play any non-geneforge spiderweb game nowadays

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

good

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I wish you'd run out of words to post

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Bazinga.

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
Shadowgate on NES is boss

zelgadis fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 25, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjVY3oM1jEU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

have you played a 16-bit classic called Barkley, Shut Up and Jam GAIDEN: Chapter One of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
how about realmz it directly steals graphics from the original exile and you can play as a leprechaun

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

brave nazi aviator posted:

how about realmz it directly steals graphics from the original exile and you can play as a leprechaun

both exile's original graphics and the new ones were commissioned and not exclusively licensed iirc

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

OP, have you ever tried the Laxius Power games?

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Doctor Goat posted:

both exile's original graphics and the new ones were commissioned and not exclusively licensed iirc

realmz also contains sprites that were directly scanned out of a children's book about dinosaurs i know this for a fact

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ys, Trails in the Sky is out on Steam now, Last Dream scratches that itch too.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Heran Bago posted:

Ys, Trails in the Sky is out on Steam now, Last Dream scratches that itch too.

I've got the PSP release, I'm waiting to see if they hold good on their promise of making a new PSP game in 2014-2015.

Dec 26, 2012

brave nazi aviator posted:

i remember 2 things about realmz

1, it had some hit-all-enemies spells which were insanely overpowered at early levels
2, awwwww yisss

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008

01011001 posted:

i remember 2 things about realmz

1, it had some hit-all-enemies spells which were insanely overpowered at early levels
2, awwwww yisss

hm hm hm mwa HA HA HA <sound of breaking glass> AIIIII

tupac holocron fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 26, 2014

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
realmz pioneered the modern dlc model

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

let 32 bits into the party and play some gba games

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
didnt read this thread lol...

but play SUIKODEN 1 AND 2 theya re not for 16bit or 8bit systems but have the same style and are epic as hell.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

FactsAreUseless posted:

There already was a 16-bit Skyrim, it was called Golden Sun. It has all the essential Skyrim characteristics: Norse imagery, caves, boredom.

Are you loving serious dude? Didn't know this board allowed loving retards to post in it

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Idk why you continue to want to play lovely games even after all the self-harm that is playing all those games in your first post OP.

Seek help.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

was breath of fire series good?

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Real hurthling! posted:

was breath of fire series good?

they're like super mehhhh. if you want to paly a jrpg badly and haven't played them they're worth a shot for sure, there are some fun mechanics in them. but don't expect anything awesome

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
bof2 has really cool mechanics in that you can make your party members stop being useless

the best part of the game is the last hour though and i can't recommend any game that does that

play the poo poo out of 4 it's one of the best looking + coolest jrpgs ever

Dec 26, 2012

i liked bof3 until the plot decided it would rather slam into a wall instead of move forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

01011001 posted:

i liked bof3 until the plot decided it would rather slam into a wall instead of move forward

i couldn't get anywhere in it the one time i tried in like 2000 i don't think i really understood what you're supposed to do aside from grind to make progress. Also the sound track sounded like a bela fleck album.

good times.

• Locked thread