Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wendigee posted:

I had a Yamaha V-star 650 custom. I loved the riding position, but it sucked at accelerating and doing highway speeds (seemed like it wanted to die at 60, let alone 70 I would need on the highway.

I sold it about 2 years ago after pulling an involuntary Layer Dan at 10 MPH in a sandy patch. No damage to me, had to replace a left clutch handle that it landed on.

My city puts down sand when it snows instead of salt and the poo poo just sits there for 6+ months at every sharp turn.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get back in the game. I got my eye on a V-Strom 650 this time. Seems like it will ride at 115 which is more than enough speed. I would think that the ABS would also help with sandy corners or am I joking myself?

I liked the cruiser but the performance was just poo poo, and I don't want to add another 100+ lbs (and thousands of dollars) to the bike to make it not suck.

Thoughts? Get out's? Shut-up shithead's?

I mostly commute in my 2011 Impreza WRX. Its in the shop for about 3 weeks while they repair it from when I backed into and sideswiped a concrete pillar that was hiding in my blind spot. (please don't ask.. its painful enough already)

My commute is about 3 miles and takes about 5-10 minutes depending on traffic. I was looking at a SVF650 but I don't really like the aggressive riding style.

I bow to your knowledge.

Cruisers are slow because H-D has convinced millions that the 60s was the peak of motorcycle technological development. If you want a better, more powerful cruiser, look at the new Indian Scout; 50% more power than your average Harley w/ a 1200 CC engine, lighter than a Sportster 1200, and about the same price.

Also lol at calling an SV650's riding position 'aggressive'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wendigee posted:

not the SV650.. the SFV650. You can't buy the SV650 anymore.

I just saw the SFV650 and a guy had his legs behind his back.. to me that's a sport bike position?'

No, that was an SVF650 with aftermarket rearsets.

Stock, the SV(F)650 is exactly as aggressive as... a sportster.

quote:

It does look amazing but who would I go to for maintenance and repairs?

I've always found 'wherever I live' and 'my own two hands' to be an adequate answer to that question. :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wendigee posted:

err whats a sportster?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home.html

J Corp posted:

It's a little disingenuous to call an XR1200 a sportster.

Not really, when the full name of the model is "Sportster XR1200X". Next you'll tell me a forty-eight isn't a Sportster either. :spergin:

• Locked thread