Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bum the Sad posted:

Some googling reveals that Runza is some kind of plague contained almost entirely within the borders of Nebraska.
http://www.runza.com/locations

Question For Pibbleton. How expensive is it to get around up there? Every Alaska TV show shows everybody traveling by tiny private plane which makes sense because there aren't real roads other than the ones in between the Anchorage and Fairbanks it seems according to Google Maps(and googling your Eyak village shows it to be not accessible by land.) So if you want to go home to your families village do you have to charter a plane?g Just wondering how much those small plane pilots charge on average. And for your outdoor activities do you typically just go to places you can drive to or do you ever get a pilot to drop you off in the middle of nowhere and then pick you up a few days later?

Well getting to my village is actually doable by car, you have to load up at a ferry then it's six hours on the water (minimum) until you get to another town with access to the highway, there are well established air routes between villages which are technically commercial flights which my dad managed to prove in court when he was accused of hunting with 24 hours of chartering a flight. Most villages are connected by roads but some are only land accessible during the winter when the ground freezes hard enough to drive on. Cordova does have an actual airport in addition to a float plane airline (Cordova Air) so I can get regular flights no problem, however going to Cordova is pretty expensive, when I lived on the East Coast it was cheaper to fly to Australia and Japan than Cordova. I managed to get a 500 dollar round trip to Japan from Anchorage, but doing it from Cordova would've made it over a thousand. I usually drive or boat to my outdoor activities and I don't remember how much the one time I chartered a plane cost. We were supposed to go do a deserted military base out on an island but it turned out to be full of biologists that were doing some kind of documentary on bird colonies. Somebody's pet rabbits had escaped on that island so it was full of bunnies that would just hang out next to you since they didn't have a fear of humans. My brother did charter a helicopter to drop him and some friends off on top of a remote mountain so they could snowboard down it though, no idea how much that cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well getting to my village is actually doable by car, you have to load up at a ferry then it's six hours on the water (minimum) until you get to another town with access to the highway, there are well established air routes between villages which are technically commercial flights which my dad managed to prove in court when he was accused of hunting with 24 hours of chartering a flight.
Details this sounds bizarre.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bum the Sad posted:

Details this sounds bizarre.

It's pretty straightforward people would fly around on chartered flights shortly before dusk and mark on their GPS the location of any deer they saw, then early in the morning right around dawn they'd shoot them since the deer wouldn't have moved far since waking up. My father wasn't 100% sure if Cordova Air counted as a commercial airline so he asked two fish and game wardens if it was since it had regular scheduled flights and they wouldn't be directing the pilot where to go if it was ok. The wardens told him yes. Then when he came back from his hunting trip they charged with violating this law and issued him a fine. So my dad went to court over this and the judge was gracious enough to let him submit evidence after the discovery period (Cordova Air's scheduled flights) on the condition he stop calling the District Attorney, "That lying son of a bitch." The prosecution was baffled that anyone could possible mistake Cordova Air with its regularly scheduled flights to towns as a commercial airline since it had only float planes. Then my dad pointed out that Era aviation used nothing but prop planes and then the DA said they don't have wheels therfore they don't count and then they bickered about what the hell constituted a plane and the judge said that the district attorney was doing a fine job up until it came to proving his case and ruled in my dad's favor. Only one of the fish and game guys apologized to my dad afterwards and they both lied on the stand claiming he'd never asked them.

Could be worse, one guy got fined for destruction of state property when he was attacked by a bear on his property and ordered to skin it after he shot it. He wasn't a hunter so he didn't do a good job on the hide and he got it thrown out.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Have you seen the movie On The Ice? Do those peoples from the far north think they are harder core than you?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CatchrNdRy posted:

Have you seen the movie On The Ice? Do those peoples from the far north think they are harder core than you?

Haven't seen it and I've never encountered anyone with that attitude, but then again bragging is seen as a sign of weakness. If you have to say you're good at something, you're not good enough, if you keep your mouth closed and other people say you're good, you're drat good.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I feel like we do share a lot in common culturally, but I'd also say we identify strongly as Alaskans first and Americans second, since we get an impression of extreme ignorance about Alaska ^see igloo based inquiries above. A lot of things I see on TV or in movies I couldn't relate to but we definitely have strong cultural ties and are greatly influenced by music and fashion down there. Much more so in the cities of course but I have heard Native rappers singing in their tribal languages.

How well do the native Alaskan languages hold up with rap? I've heard some Lakota raps, and well...mad props to the artists, because Lakota (or really, anything non indo-european) is not a language designed for rap. What language family are the native alaskan languages in, for that matter? I imagine they're closer to native russian languages than lower-48 native languages.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AA is for Quitters posted:

How well do the native Alaskan languages hold up with rap? I've heard some Lakota raps, and well...mad props to the artists, because Lakota (or really, anything non indo-european) is not a language designed for rap. What language family are the native alaskan languages in, for that matter? I imagine they're closer to native russian languages than lower-48 native languages.

I thought they sounded pretty good but, I'm not a huge rap fan so I don't think I'm a well qualified judge. Growing up they were called the Yupik language family, but there was always some debate about how to classify the different languages, because they have that thing going on where neighboring tribes are mutually intelligible, but the further you get the more different it is. The Yupik language family does extend to Siberian tribes though, not just the people who move back and forth between Russia and Alaska. I remember this one Aleut expert had a problem with the way the basics where being taught, specifically they were teaching primary colors, green, blue purple etc. The problem is in Yupik languages there's only THREE primary colors, light, dark and red. If you want to describe something by color you have to compare it to the color of something else.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Could you talk about how Native Corporations work?

I've heard that there is a clan system that many different Alaska/Yukon tribes participate in, where membership in a particular clan is passed down through your mother. Is this the case, and if so, could you elaborate on it a little?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Could you talk about how Native Corporations work?

I've heard that there is a clan system that many different Alaska/Yukon tribes participate in, where membership in a particular clan is passed down through your mother. Is this the case, and if so, could you elaborate on it a little?

It's not quite tribal based, the original corporations were, but shortly after they were founded some collapsed due to mismanagement, embezzlement and corruption. The remaining corporations took over those territories and put together a network of benefits. So there are benefits to being native like subsistence hunting, preferential hiring in the native corps, free medical and dental care at the ANMC hospital in Anchorage(also free to veterans). They send doctors around the state so we'd take advantage of free dental and medical when it showed up. Now you can also get additional benefits if you're descended from a corporate shareholder, for example I'm applying for a scholarship worth 6k a year from Chugach corporation which I qualify for since my Grandmother was a stock owner. Then on top of that shareholders get a stipend and additional benefits and being over 50 grants you elder status, which dependent on the corporation gives you even more benefits. So my dad who's a veteran, elder and a shareholder receives: preferential hiring, subsistence hunting/fishing/gathering rights, free medical/dental(and transportation to facilities for care), firewood, food, possibly political power on the elder council, a monthly stipend, can lease a few acres for 99 years for a one dollar payment, educational assistance and probably a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall at the moment.

They also do community improvements, Chugach corporation through the Eyak village sub corp has a free clinic for everyone in Cordova, it's actually really nice, decorated with a complete whale skeleton.

All this is funded through the initial money from leasing off the oil rights, which they then invested and used to buy up a good chunk of Alaska, as well as from government contracts. US government uses a lot of native land for a lot of things and they pay us pretty decent for it.

So yeah, it sucks that the Native Alaskan population is roughly a tenth of what it was, but compared to the lower 48 Natives, we've got it waaaay better. Fun fact: as an Alaskan Native I have access to federal assistance programs, if you live on a reservation, it's sovereign territory and you don't get federal assistance. So when they mined uranium on Navajo land and due to a lack of mining safety contaminated the groundwater and cancer rates increased tenfold, the white residents had access to federal assistance and the Navajo didn't. The reservation system seems pretty terrible to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Antivehicular posted:

I don't know if this helps on the "cultural insult" level, but I am white as hell and got the same idiot question repeatedly after my family moved from Fairbanks to the lower 48 when I was in middle school. My mom apparently got asked a ton of times if she was going to live in an igloo after she announced she was moving, back in the 70's, to the point that someone asked what color igloo she wanted. (My mother is a special-education teacher, but this was not a question from one of her students. Apparently the entire concept of living in Alaska gives people the IQ of a gelatin mold.)

One of my buddies here in Calgary moved down to the States with his family when he was in middle school. Calgary is a city of a million people, located three hours from US border. He still got asked he lived in an igloo.

Igloos seem to be one of the most fascinating and perplexing thing to people from the mainland US. I really can't explain it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

PT6A posted:

One of my buddies here in Calgary moved down to the States with his family when he was in middle school. Calgary is a city of a million people, located three hours from US border. He still got asked he lived in an igloo.

Igloos seem to be one of the most fascinating and perplexing thing to people from the mainland US. I really can't explain it.

It's an ice house, ISN'T IT COLD, why doesn't it just melt as soon as you go inside, what do you think of real houses? It's like magic to them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's an ice house, ISN'T IT COLD, why doesn't it just melt as soon as you go inside, what do you think of real houses? It's like magic to them.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: one of the people who asked this was his teacher.

Onto an actual question: do you feel that you have more in common, culturally or in whatever other way you want to describe, with a native person from the lower 48, or with a non-native Alaskan?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

PT6A posted:

Oh, and I forgot to mention: one of the people who asked this was his teacher.

Onto an actual question: do you feel that you have more in common, culturally or in whatever other way you want to describe, with a native person from the lower 48, or with a non-native Alaskan?

Probably with a non-native Alaskan, I don't know what res life is like, it seems like it would be a huge cultural difference. Aside from the art and dance, those are pretty similar as far as I can tell, mythology is bit divergent as are the totems. Nanook or polar bear isn't that popular down south(that guy from Alabama would call me that sometimes). I've also heard of teachers saying that Alaskans live in igloos, that Alaska isn't a state and that Texas is larger than Alaska. It's things like that which reinforce the feeling that I'm an Alaskan first and an American second. That and I can get away with calling people "sunlanders" and nobody calls me out on it.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That and I can get away with calling people "sunlanders" and nobody calls me out on it.

Aren't you the one from the land of the 24 hour sun? It gets dark here every night :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Aryan Jesus posted:

Aren't you the one from the land of the 24 hour sun? It gets dark here every night :colbert:

Yeah, but on the other hand, it gets light every day.

How do people in Alaska deal with the long nights and lack of sunlight? A lot of people around here get seasonal depression in the winter; is that a large problem in Alaska as well, or have people come up with good ways of coping with it?

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Von Humboldt posted:

Have to ask, what brought you up? I have family out there.

A good friend of mine lives up there. We met in college (in Florida, of all places), and now he's back in Alaska. His family moved there when he was pretty young. I'm actually shipping up a couple boxes to stuff to them today, mostly home-made hot sauces and blueberry preserves. :kimchi: I gotta tell you, the strawberries out of his garden were better than any Florida strawberry I've ever had.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Aryan Jesus posted:

Thank you for remembering that, most people just remember the thirty days of night and forget about the light of the midnight sun.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand, it gets light every day.

How do people in Alaska deal with the long nights and lack of sunlight? A lot of people around here get seasonal depression in the winter; is that a large problem in Alaska as well, or have people come up with good ways of coping with it?

Seasonal Affective Disorder(such a good acronym!), does affect a lot of people who come to Alaska but if you're born here you're more used to it and if you eat a more native diet you get a ton of vitamin D. One of the nicknames for Natives was "meat eaters" but they needed the vitamin D from animals. For the light periods, we just have curtains in our homes, that seems to work. I think just being there and getting used to it helps a lot because I spent worked in Japan for a bit and during the summer it freaked me out how early it got dark there. Good fish selection though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Do you hate it when people call you Inuit? I know a guy who is Yup'ik and that drives him crazy.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Do you hate it when people call you Inuit? I know a guy who is Yup'ik and that drives him crazy.

Well it turns out that Inuit is the European term for the northern tribes, so in British English I'd be an Aleutian Inuit even though Inuit is its own tribe in the Yup'ik terminology. So within certain classification systems we'd be Inuits. Just like how in the south Mountain Dew is a Coke; but yeah I hate being called that or Eskimo. Some people like Indians, others hate it, some people are ok with Natives, other want Native Alaskan, most everyone hates being called the wrong tribe and some elders prefer "featherheads" and while we may wish they weren't so racist, we still respect their wisdom.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Just like how in the south Mountain Dew is a Coke

I don't think I've ever called a Mt. Dew a coke. There is a tendency to refer to every classic cola flavored drink coke though (I.e. Pepsi/Coke/RC)

Basically if you order a coke somewhere you are going to get either a pepsi or coke. Mountain Dew is a whole other animal.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't think I've ever called a Mt. Dew a coke. There is a tendency to refer to every classic cola flavored drink coke though (I.e. Pepsi/Coke/RC)

Basically if you order a coke somewhere you are going to get either a pepsi or coke. Mountain Dew is a whole other animal.

I heard about someone bitching about getting a coke when they wanted a seven up and had asked for a coke regional term meanings can be pretty varied. Also Alaskans often have trouble getting Mt Dew flavors other than original or diet, I think for like a decade people couldn't buy livewire in Anchorage and code red is only occasionally available.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Poop Cupcake posted:

A good friend of mine lives up there. We met in college (in Florida, of all places), and now he's back in Alaska. His family moved there when he was pretty young. I'm actually shipping up a couple boxes to stuff to them today, mostly home-made hot sauces and blueberry preserves. :kimchi: I gotta tell you, the strawberries out of his garden were better than any Florida strawberry I've ever had.
Nifty. I'm with you on the strawberries - just something about them. They're always so much smaller than other strawberries, but so much sweeter. We can do some amazing agriculture in the Valley, simply because of how much sunlight we get over the spring and summer. My father-in-law does some amazing peppers.

On a side note, produce can be brutal to buy up here, especially out of season.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I heard about someone bitching about getting a coke when they wanted a seven up and had asked for a coke regional term meanings can be pretty varied. Also Alaskans often have trouble getting Mt Dew flavors other than original or diet, I think for like a decade people couldn't buy livewire in Anchorage and code red is only occasionally available.
Baja Blast appeared in the stores briefly in Anchorage and the Valley, and then disappeared forever. I don't know if the stores didn't order enough, or only got the one major shipment, but after a few weeks into the promotion you couldn't find it but rarely. We had to hit up four stores in Anchorage before we could get even a couple of bottles to make Everblasts.
:goonsay:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Have you seen the movie Into the Wild? It's about a college grad who takes a road trip to Alaska to find himself and winds up dying there. How do you feel about people like that? Do you kinda sorta empathize with their romantic ideas of Alaska?

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

There's just something about it. I lived in Juneau for a year and would give just about anything to go back. It's paradise.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Have you seen the movie Into the Wild? It's about a college grad who takes a road trip to Alaska to find himself and winds up dying there. How do you feel about people like that? Do you kinda sorta empathize with their romantic ideas of Alaska?
Pretty much everyone I have spoken to about McCandless feels he was an idiot. This state is beautiful, and worthy of its moniker of "Last Frontier." Even the commute between Wasilla and Anchorage - through some of the most built up parts of the state - gives you a view of some beautiful country. Regardless of where you live in state, you're never really more than an hour away from being the only person around for miles.

However, Alaska is more than capable of loving you up. Most everyone up here is aware of that. I've lost friends who went out on adventures and saw one little thing or another go wrong and end their lives. These were competent, intelligent people, people who had prepared as best they could but who saw something just go horribly wrong. You can easily still appreciate the beauty and awesomeness of the state, but after you see the aftermath of a moose going through a car or have friends never return from kayaking, you certainly are considerate of the risks of living in Alaska as well.

McCandless willfully disregarded the risks and failed to prepare on his journey, and lost his life for it. It's hard to feel pity when everyone up here knows people who have died to risks they prepared for and this guy bites it without having done much, basically. There's also a sort of bitterness I pick up in regards to McCandless, in that he represents that class of people that feels instantly able to handle the wild and has a head full of romantic ideas of Alaska - it's a little annoying for outsiders to take your home and its hazards and bounties for granted.

But that's just from the people I've talked to about it. It's a lot of Alaskans, mind, but I certainly can't speak for everyone.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Vegetable posted:

Von Humboldt posted:

Pretty much everyone I have spoken to about McCandless feels he was an idiot. This state is beautiful, and worthy of its moniker of "Last Frontier." Even the commute between Wasilla and Anchorage - through some of the most built up parts of the state - gives you a view of some beautiful country. Regardless of where you live in state, you're never really more than an hour away from being the only person around for miles.

However, Alaska is more than capable of loving you up. Most everyone up here is aware of that. I've lost friends who went out on adventures and saw one little thing or another go wrong and end their lives. These were competent, intelligent people, people who had prepared as best they could but who saw something just go horribly wrong. You can easily still appreciate the beauty and awesomeness of the state, but after you see the aftermath of a moose going through a car or have friends never return from kayaking, you certainly are considerate of the risks of living in Alaska as well.

McCandless willfully disregarded the risks and failed to prepare on his journey, and lost his life for it. It's hard to feel pity when everyone up here knows people who have died to risks they prepared for and this guy bites it without having done much, basically. There's also a sort of bitterness I pick up in regards to McCandless, in that he represents that class of people that feels instantly able to handle the wild and has a head full of romantic ideas of Alaska - it's a little annoying for outsiders to take your home and its hazards and bounties for granted.

But that's just from the people I've talked to about it. It's a lot of Alaskans, mind, but I certainly can't speak for everyone.

Well you spoke pretty accurately for this Alaskan, good people who do the right thing still die out here and we don't have much pity for those who throw their lives away through idiocy.

PopeCrunch posted:

There's just something about it. I lived in Juneau for a year and would give just about anything to go back. It's paradise.

Everyone I know who grew up in Juneau hates that town, if you do go back you might want to try living somewhere else, just saying.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I don't know, I dug it. I had a gig doing home inspections for insurance companies, so I got sent a few other places in AK on business - Sitka was similarly gorgeous, but Anchorage was just enh. Juneau was PERFECT.

Holy gently caress the beer. Sweet jesus piss the BEER. I'll suck whatever you put in front of me for a couple 12-packs of Alaskan.

edit to add: A bunch of the locals preferred to drink Rainier, and that was a BAFFLEMENT. Why would you drink that bullshit when you could be drinking Alaskan. Good gently caress.

I Drink Stove Oil
Apr 4, 2009

SWOLE PATROL

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

corporation talk

Just to clarify for outsiders, native corporation can refer to two kinds of entities - regional and village. So that means 12 regional corporations and each village had/had a village corporation, although some have merged, like MTNT or Alaska Peninsula Corporations. Each village corporation after ANSCA was signed in 1971, and anyone alive then was granted 100 shares, along with 100 shares in the regional corporation where they lived. Since shares are passed down generationally, it's possible to be a tribal member but not a shareholder and vice versa. Some corporations gave to stock to the so-called 'after-born' descendents of the original shareholders, but that's up to each corporation to decide. Another regional corporation was set up for natives who no longer lived in the state, but the Thirteenth Corporation has been a giant clusterfuck since its inception and its misdeeds could fill a book.

Also, the native corps didn't buy all that land, it was part of ANSCA. Each village corp got an entitlement of land (surface rights) based on the size of the eligible shareholders at the time of ANSCA and then the regional corporation received the subsurface (think mineral rights) to the same land.

PopeCrunch posted:

I don't know, I dug it. I had a gig doing home inspections for insurance companies, so I got sent a few other places in AK on business - Sitka was similarly gorgeous, but Anchorage was just enh. Juneau was PERFECT.

Holy gently caress the beer. Sweet jesus piss the BEER. I'll suck whatever you put in front of me for a couple 12-packs of Alaskan.

edit to add: A bunch of the locals preferred to drink Rainier, and that was a BAFFLEMENT. Why would you drink that bullshit when you could be drinking Alaskan. Good gently caress.

Probably because it's cheaper by a dollar or two. Vitamin R was the drinker's choice where I lived and Alaska beer was for the goddamn tourists and visiting yuppies.

e: holy poo poo that was some horrid grammar

I Drink Stove Oil fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 10, 2014

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Are prices for groceries and other basic stuff really inflated compared to say, Washington State?

Do individual Alaskans really get a cheque from the government for living up there?

Finally, have any Alaska goons been to Yukon or Northern B.C. and if so what did you think, how did the culture or wilderness compare to what you're familiar with?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Communocracy posted:

Are prices for groceries and other basic stuff really inflated compared to say, Washington State?

Do individual Alaskans really get a cheque from the government for living up there?

Finally, have any Alaska goons been to Yukon or Northern B.C. and if so what did you think, how did the culture or wilderness compare to what you're familiar with?

I'm in eastern Washington right now and I love how cheap food is here, the more remote the village the more expensive food and heating was.

You have to apply every year for the Alaska Permanent Dividend Fund, but you can get a percentage of the fund's growth every year.

I'd answer the last question but I haven't been up there since I was a little kid. Canadians were always way friendlier when they found out we were Alaskans though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'd answer the last question but I haven't been up there since I was a little kid. Canadians were always way friendlier when they found out we were Alaskans though.

That's because we know you won't ask us about igloos :v:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Hello Alaska Goons! I was born up there! Not in an igloo, though. And my parents only went up there to live for a year and then came back to New York (I hate New York, it's terrible). I have an awesome picture of my mom standing on the porch of their house looking over this gorgeous view near Fairbanks. I keep thinking I should go back and see some stuff but don't know what I would do - cruise? Hike/camp? Charter flights?

But yeah, so. Where in the state are your favorite places? What do you recommend visitors to your massive and beautiful state do first? Other than check out an igloo, of course.

Also, I just read an article about RAPE CULTURE in Alaska. Is this a thing anyone has any firsthand experience with? What do you think about Alaska being portrayed as full of terrible drunken natives who beat their wives and daughters?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Faerunner posted:

Hello Alaska Goons! I was born up there! Not in an igloo, though. And my parents only went up there to live for a year and then came back to New York (I hate New York, it's terrible). I have an awesome picture of my mom standing on the porch of their house looking over this gorgeous view near Fairbanks. I keep thinking I should go back and see some stuff but don't know what I would do - cruise? Hike/camp? Charter flights?

But yeah, so. Where in the state are your favorite places? What do you recommend visitors to your massive and beautiful state do first? Other than check out an igloo, of course.

Also, I just read an article about RAPE CULTURE in Alaska. Is this a thing anyone has any firsthand experience with? What do you think about Alaska being portrayed as full of terrible drunken natives who beat their wives and daughters?

I'd say cruises (can't recommend a specific one) you see a bunch of different villages and get fairly close to glaciers that way, some of them stop in Anchorage and you can get on this train and go up to Denali national park and see Mt Denali (or McKinley as some call it). Checking out native art, seeing frontier artifacts, buying some dubiously legal whale anatomy, all part of the Alaska tourist experience. Chena hotsprings near Fairbanks is a great spot to go to if you ever get back up there, it's a pretty nice hot springs and it's neat to go to it during the winter because you can stand around and have icicles hanging off your body while still being warm. It will be full of Japanese people though, it's such a popular tourist spot with them since you can watch the Aurora Borealis that the locals can give directions to it in Japanese. Alcoholism and sexual assault are pretty rampant, Alaska's first state lottery had the profits going to battered women's shelters and was won by a convicted rapist. Who was then beaten bloody in a food court and subsequently donated his winnings to helping out victims of sexual assault.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2009/01/13/59638/sex-offender-who-won-alaska-lottery.html

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
:psyduck:

And I thought PA and its blue laws were hosed up.

Thanks for the cruise advice. I'll look into it! I think it'd make a kickass anniversary trip some year.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Faerunner posted:

:psyduck:

And I thought PA and its blue laws were hosed up.

Thanks for the cruise advice. I'll look into it! I think it'd make a kickass anniversary trip some year.

If you stop in Cordova, try the river rafting tour that takes you through a maze of icebergs, it's pretty neat. I used to work there as a tote.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fun fact: The subway five dollar foot long ad campaign was actually six dollar footlongs in Alaska and the signs had six fingers.

varna
Mar 8, 2014
Another fun fact: milk is 12 dollars a gallon in Barrow because it, and everything else, has to be flown in on jets. How do groceries get in to town down there in Cordova?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

varna posted:

Another fun fact: milk is 12 dollars a gallon in Barrow because it, and everything else, has to be flown in on jets. How do groceries get in to town down there in Cordova?

Through the milk run, on the more time sensitive perishables, it's a series of flights connecting Ketchikan, Juneau, Cordova, Yakutat, and Anchorage, we have two flights a day out of the "Mudhole Smith"(record holder for number of crashes survived except for the last one) airport. We do get regular shipments via ferry though so it's not as bad as Barrow, so our food prices while significantly higher than the lower 48's, are nowhere near as bad as some of the more remote towns.

Also I thought I'd mention this Native Alaskan game coming out in November. http://store.steampowered.com/app/295790/ Never alone looks pretty good and I'm totally getting it.

I Drink Stove Oil
Apr 4, 2009

SWOLE PATROL
Are you going to be a Real Alaskan(tm) and blow your PFD at Best Buy or Cabella's? Maybe at Mattress Ranch?

On a serious note, how do you see the tribal governance structures working in the future as intermarriage and out-migration becomes more common? For most villages the tribal rolls are growing due to the birthrate and present eligibility rules, but those younger members on the whole are "less native" (at least for BIA purposes of blood quantum) and have weaker ties both familial and physical to their tribe/village. Do you think this will have an impact on village/regional corporations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wasteland 2 came out, so it took me a bit to get back to this thread.

I Drink Stove Oil posted:

Are you going to be a Real Alaskan(tm) and blow your PFD at Best Buy or Cabella's? Maybe at Mattress Ranch?

On a serious note, how do you see the tribal governance structures working in the future as intermarriage and out-migration becomes more common? For most villages the tribal rolls are growing due to the birthrate and present eligibility rules, but those younger members on the whole are "less native" (at least for BIA purposes of blood quantum) and have weaker ties both familial and physical to their tribe/village. Do you think this will have an impact on village/regional corporations?

It varies, some of the people with higher blood quantums are ashamed of their tribal links and don't want the association, others with lower amounts are way more active in native culture and corporation activities. The thing about the native corporations was that while natives do have preferential hiring status, they'll work with anyone to get the job done. A lot of the native corporations were initially run/managed by non-natives out of necessity since a lot of the tribal leaders didn't have well developed financial skills. The corporations are integrated with a lot of federal projects including military and have been so for a very long time. I'm actually very optimistic about the native corporations improving lives for Alaskan Natives AND Alaskan locals as they continue to operate. Although knowing something about the terrible stuff that's happened to the native population within living memory it's kind of amazing our elders aren't an angry bunch. About 15 years ago I knew an elder up in Fairbanks who could understand her tribal language, but couldn't speak it because when she was taken away from her tribe to get a white education they beat her every time she spoke it and is so traumatized that she's unable to utter a single word. She was going to college at the time, very happy and upbeat lady despite living in Fairbanks.

Just remembered my dad telling me about my aunt not wanting to eat wild game and only buying her food at the store for a bit because "She wasn't Native, oh no!" she got a lot more accepting of it after adopting my cousin, he looks native as all hell. Was even on a travel show one episode which was hosted by two of the guys from Saved By The Bell.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 21, 2014

• Locked thread