Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I remember this one Aleut expert had a problem with the way the basics where being taught, specifically they were teaching primary colors, green, blue purple etc. The problem is in Yupik languages there's only THREE primary colors, light, dark and red. If you want to describe something by color you have to compare it to the color of something else.

To resurrect this a little, this is part of a fascinating trend of how different cultures define color: http://www.wired.com/2012/06/the-crayola-fication-of-the-world-how-we-gave-colors-names-and-it-messed-with-our-brains-part-i/

article posted:

And here’s what they found. Languages have differing numbers of color words, ranging from two to about eleven. Yet after looking at 98 different languages, they saw a pattern. It was a pretty radical idea, that there is a certain fixed order in which these color names arise. This was a common path that languages seem to follow, a road towards increasing visual diversity.

What it says is this. If a language has just two color terms, they will be a light and a dark shade – blacks and whites. Add a third color, and it’s going to be red. Add another, and it will be either green or yellow – you need five colors to have both. And when you get to six colors, the green splits into two, and you now have a blue. What we’re seeing here is a deeply trodden road that most languages seem to follow, towards greater visual discernment (92 of their 98 languages seemed to follow this basic route).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Pibbs, have you seen the arctic episode of Human Planet? It's this cool series by the same people who did Blue Planet but about people in different climates / extreme living situations and how they adapt. These are the episodes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00llpvp/episodes/guide there's some clips there, and they air on BBc America sometimes.

The one about the arctic covers some reindeer herding and stuff in Scandanavia and then follows some native people in Greenland while they hunt narwhal and some other folks in Canada (Kangiqsujuaq) who go under the ice when the lowest tide goes out at the full moon, and they have to gather mussels and shellfish before the tide comes rushing back in and kills them all. That part was terrifying.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I don't like to get in the way of REAL ALASKA talk because I'm a city slicker, but no one out of the state knows the difference, so I've managed to convince people we keep a stable of riding bears for the daily commute and that the reason I always wore my sunglasses wasn't because i'm a douche but because my alaskan eyes weren't acclimated to daylight. Sunlanders, am I right? :rolleyes:

If you would've told me this I would've completely believed it too :blush:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I got Never Alone! (And stopped playing for a bit when I found out the fox has a heartbreaking death animation that was upsetting my dog). I found out some Inupiat domesticate arctic foxes. Were any other animals ever domesticated up there? I know the Scandanavian people herd reindeer, which are similar if not the same as caribou, so why did that never catch on in North America? And knitting doesn't seem to have either, I guess without any animals that grow wool.

• Locked thread