Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Q. So have you ever slept in an Igloo?

A. Out of all the stereotypes that my people have inflicted upon them, this is one of the most prevalent. We battle constantly against what seems like a never ending tide of ignorance and prejudice brought about by poorly researched television and books and it is an insult upon our culture and people to even ask us this question, to which the answer is yes.

I don't know if this helps on the "cultural insult" level, but I am white as hell and got the same idiot question repeatedly after my family moved from Fairbanks to the lower 48 when I was in middle school. My mom apparently got asked a ton of times if she was going to live in an igloo after she announced she was moving, back in the 70's, to the point that someone asked what color igloo she wanted. (My mother is a special-education teacher, but this was not a question from one of her students. Apparently the entire concept of living in Alaska gives people the IQ of a gelatin mold.)

On that subject, if it's not too meta for an Ask/Tell thread: what's the stupidest question a non-Alaskan has ever asked you about living in Alaska? Mine was probably the afternoon in eighth grade where some kid spent the entire bus ride home from school naming fast-food restaurants and asking if we had those in Alaska. The revelation that, yes, we had McDonald's, but no, we didn't have Runza (and what the christ is a Runza?) seemed strangely unsatisfying to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread