Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Antivehicular posted:

I don't know if this helps on the "cultural insult" level, but I am white as hell and got the same idiot question repeatedly after my family moved from Fairbanks to the lower 48 when I was in middle school. My mom apparently got asked a ton of times if she was going to live in an igloo after she announced she was moving, back in the 70's, to the point that someone asked what color igloo she wanted. (My mother is a special-education teacher, but this was not a question from one of her students. Apparently the entire concept of living in Alaska gives people the IQ of a gelatin mold.)

One of my buddies here in Calgary moved down to the States with his family when he was in middle school. Calgary is a city of a million people, located three hours from US border. He still got asked he lived in an igloo.

Igloos seem to be one of the most fascinating and perplexing thing to people from the mainland US. I really can't explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's an ice house, ISN'T IT COLD, why doesn't it just melt as soon as you go inside, what do you think of real houses? It's like magic to them.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: one of the people who asked this was his teacher.

Onto an actual question: do you feel that you have more in common, culturally or in whatever other way you want to describe, with a native person from the lower 48, or with a non-native Alaskan?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Aryan Jesus posted:

Aren't you the one from the land of the 24 hour sun? It gets dark here every night :colbert:

Yeah, but on the other hand, it gets light every day.

How do people in Alaska deal with the long nights and lack of sunlight? A lot of people around here get seasonal depression in the winter; is that a large problem in Alaska as well, or have people come up with good ways of coping with it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'd answer the last question but I haven't been up there since I was a little kid. Canadians were always way friendlier when they found out we were Alaskans though.

That's because we know you won't ask us about igloos :v:

• Locked thread