Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Akira manga is much longer, more complex story wise, and also is more spelled out in terms of what is happening. I would recommend reading it.

However, I would say that the movie is the better work. The movie focuses on basically the best parts of the manga, and the narrowness of focus makes things like Tetsuo and Kaneda's relationship more convincing. The manga's long long action scenes make you basically forget about that. There is just so little there to make you think that these characters are supposed to be friends, and that therefore we are supposed to be sympathetic to Tetsuo as he is raping and massacring his way through Tokyo.

Did I mention rape? Yes, there is a lot of rape in the manga. Not just by antagonists, but Kaneda also tries to rape Kei, but it's a trick you see because he was really stealing her gun. Also she falls in love with him later because ???.

The final ending of the manga drops the ball entirely, because there is suddenly this lurch into nationalism. Oh no, it turns out all the antagonists are good guys now, because they are standing up to the Americans! Never mind that millions have died. No, let's not forget what Tetsuo's drug crazed rape cult really stood for, which is kicking out US aid workers so that Japan can be Strong. Let all the heroes profess their determination to continue that legacy. Happy ending.

Basically the Akira manga is well drawn, but really really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

One time there was a little telekenetic kid who accidentally blew up. Our friend Kaneda is a juvenile delinquent and he has a wussy little friend. It turns out his wussy little friend went to telekenesis preschool too a long time ago and he gets big psychic powers. Well, it turns out that using his psychic powers was too hard and he turns into a big baby, and the government shoots at him. He starts to blow up and the other psychic toddlers save everyone.

This is about right. The basic issue that people who say Akira was confusing have, is that they want to disentangle the mess of pseudoscience, pseudophilosophy and nationalist politics that is the show's explanation for HOW they stop Tetsuo at the end.

It isn't worth it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

LaTex Fetish posted:

i've already seen lain and it was pretty good but haibane renmai was a lot better and it was very similar in theme

Explain how Lain and Haibane Renmei are similar in theme

• Locked thread