Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The animation is loving astounding even in TYOOL 2014, the art direction is the best-realized attempt at bringing the cyberpunk aesthetic to life that I can think of, and even truncated the plot is still pretty good.

e: Like I honestly cannot think of anything, eastern or western, better animated than Akira. Redline and the original Ghost in the Shell both come pretty close but they still don't quite match it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Relin posted:

the lion king

I'll actually totally give you The Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty & the Beast on that one. I don't think they're quite as good looking as Akira but that's mostly just an aesthetic preference (I am a massive whore for cyberpunk stuff), they're all masterpieces.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

what are some of your favorite cyberpunk movies/shows? very curious because i want to dive more into that genre. don't include ghost in the shell and its derivatives

Unironically good stuff: Ergo Proxy, Psycho-Pass, Texhnolyze, VOTOMS, Megazone 23, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed (gently caress you it predates GitS). If you're willing to read manga, also look up Eden: It's an Endless World! and pretty much anything by Tsutomu Nihei (BLAME!, Biomega, Knights of Sidonia, NOiSE, etc).

Kinda bad but still entertaining stuff: Genocyber, Cyber City OEDO 808, Angel Cop, Black Magic M-66, MD Geist

e: Genocyber is actually kind of on a weird borderline between being unironically awesome and being a huge shitpile. It has really, really nice art direction and mechanical designs (some of the tricks they use to hide the stupid-low budget are genuinely really neat), and it's :black101: as gently caress, but it's also more or less incomprehensible and goes to total poo poo after the third episode (out of five).

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 28, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Megazone 23 is rad. Part I is good, Part II is really good, Part III is just okay.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Genocyber seriously owns and I will defend it to the grave

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It makes absolutely no sense and both the animation and narrative are barely scotch-taped together but it looks cool as hell and has a lot of absolute batshit insanity.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The first episode of Genocyber is actually seriously good, it's creepy, surreal and depressing, it uses techniques you don't often see in anime, like cutting to live action for some bits. Episodes 2 and 3 are okay gorefest trash. Four and five don't exist.

Your opinions are good.

pro click

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

could be, that it's a show for children and therefore it features humor targeted at children, which an adult might not find funny

something to think about

In which case, why does a show for children have so much horrible nightmarish poo poo in it?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean in most cases yeah but FMA 2003 is stupidly dark, and not really in an edgy cool way like most dark poo poo in shonen, it's just depressing and scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

It might help to know that the head writer of the 2003 series also co-wrote Genocyber.

Yeah, I'm aware, that was what started this conversation. :v:

• Locked thread