Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

axleblaze posted:

It's more of a wacky 80s action thriller with hints of horror. It's just sort of ridiculous.

It's like those movies where a person stays with a family and solves all their problems, but the person that does this is a violent psychopath. In a way it's a much more fun, much less disturbing Visitor Q is that has any meaning to you.

One of my favourite moments to that end is when he gives the son advice on how to deal with bullies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Howling Man posted:

This is a shame that they are trying to pass it off as a generic action movie. I was ready to not see this movie from only viewing the trailer but hearing about the synth score and what it is really about has me very interested now.

Bad job, marketing team. Bad job.

The film works because it isnt a generic action film. Expendables is all we need in that vein. So yeah. I havent seen much of the marketing but yeah... there you go. Youre next marketing was freakin sweet.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DrVenkman posted:

One of my favourite moments to that end is when he gives the son advice on how to deal with bullies.

I was shaking with laughter at that part. His tone is the sort of innocence that Homer would have when giving bad advice to Bart, but the content is so much more sinister.

Outstanding movie though. It's just pastiching everything, from John Carpenter to Rambo/Terminator. Well paced, didn't overstay its welcome, and Dan Stevens absolutely killed it.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How much the "feel" of the movie is different from the trailer? The trailer didn't sell me on the movie, it looked like a an action flick that tries just a bit too hard(edgy), but trailers are often misleading.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

How much the "feel" of the movie is different from the trailer? The trailer didn't sell me on the movie, it looked like a an action flick that tries just a bit too hard(edgy), but trailers are often misleading.

It's like Drive but wearing a clown hat.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's like Drive but wearing a clown hat.

Ok then it's good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

After seeing both this and It Follows I can safely conclude that Maika Monroe's acting is not for me, at least as a lead in a film. That said, The Guest isn't really about her performance at all and is badass. If you can catch this in a theatre (or have a good sound system at home), do so, because the sound design is really good.

Watching it through the lens of a Captain America film gone horribly right is spot-on. Dan Stevens is perfect as the emotionless killer with just enough of a hint of mischief in his eyes to separate him from Gosling in Drive.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you can catch this in a theatre (or have a good sound system at home), do so, because the sound design is really good.

Thank you...

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Anyone know if this is gonna be VOD? If not I have no chance of seeing it for a long time

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Just got out of a preview screening for this, it blew me away. I thought You're Next was pretty good but this is an amazing throwback to 80's genre films.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

As I said earlier, I think all I really need to say about this movie is there's a scene where a character puts on music to try to mask the sound of what she's doing, and the CD she puts on just happens to play 80s synth background music that goes with the scene. The scene doesn't draw attention to this fact and doesn't make it a punchline or anything. It's just sort of something that happens.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Yaws posted:

Anyone know if this is gonna be VOD? If not I have no chance of seeing it for a long time

Atrocious Joe posted:

Its website says there will be a wide release on October 3rd. I wouldn't worry about being able to catch it in theaters unless you live in a area with only a few screens.

You're probably good unless you live in Antarctica or something.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jst0rm posted:

Thank you...

If this is a humblebrag, then seriously, amazing job man.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It sounds interesting, especially the talk of him being what a real-life Captain America/super-soldier might turn out like. But is the movie more of an action/crime/thriller with a somewhat unhinged, violent antihero (like Drive), or does it take a horror movie turn and he ends up tormenting the family? You can put it in spoiler tags, but that will probably make a difference as to whether or not I see it.

The movie takes elements from a whole bunch of genres. It's definitely not a horror movie although some scenes mirror horror movie cliches the finale is in a haunted house-style maze at a deserted school prom - this is honestly better than it sounds! It is reminiscent of Drive in places, including the handsome, cool antihero who seems a little 'off'. David doesn't torment the family, do cruel things to family pets or anything like that - he's trying to be helpful in a psychotic kind of way.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jst0rm posted:

Thank you...

Seriously if you worked on it, kudos my friend.

If anyone's more interested in the score, check out Steve Moore and his band Zombi. There's some samples of his work on this and other projects on his page.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dial A For Awesome posted:

The movie takes elements from a whole bunch of genres. It's definitely not a horror movie although some scenes mirror horror movie cliches the finale is in a haunted house-style maze at a deserted school prom - this is honestly better than it sounds! It is reminiscent of Drive in places, including the handsome, cool antihero who seems a little 'off'. David doesn't torment the family, do cruel things to family pets or anything like that - he's trying to be helpful in a psychotic kind of way.

That makes me a lot more excited about seeing it, thank you!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just watching the trailer now and I can't quite get my head around how badly they dropped the ball with the marketing. Please ignore the trailer and just go see it.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just watching the trailer now and I can't quite get my head around how badly they dropped the ball with the marketing. Please ignore the trailer and just go see it.

Is this a similiar case to the Fight Club trailer where it paints a completely different - and much worse - picture of the movie?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Seriously if you worked on it, kudos my friend.

If anyone's more interested in the score, check out Steve Moore and his band Zombi. There's some samples of his work on this and other projects on his page.

yeah thanks guys. Sound designer on you're next and the guest. Always fun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is this a similiar case to the Fight Club trailer where it paints a completely different - and much worse - picture of the movie?

I don't think the trailers are awful, but the movie you get really is a way more interesting and cool movie than the trailers show. In a way this good because it will surprisethe hel out of anyone that sees it, but it's obviously also bad because it will make people less likely to see it.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

I don't think the trailers are awful, but the movie you get really is a way more interesting and cool movie than the trailers show. In a way this good because it will surprisethe hel out of anyone that sees it, but it's obviously also bad because it will make people less likely to see it.

Thats always the flip. The people who the fight club trailer appealed to probably had a life changing experience actually seeing the film. That wont happen here but hopefully it hits people right.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Here is a new trailer, edited by the Hobo with a Shotgun guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfMLu9EPWY

I haven't seen the movie, but man, this is still a much better trailer than the "official" one.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You're probably good unless you live in Antarctica or something.

Rural Iowa might as well be Antarctica.

gently caress it, I'll just have to wait for it to come to DVD.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SwissCM posted:

I haven't seen the movie, but man, this is still a much better trailer than the "official" one.

much better.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SwissCM posted:

This makes me want to watch the film again right now. I'll put it in the OP.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yaws posted:

Rural Iowa might as well be Antarctica.

gently caress it, I'll just have to wait for it to come to DVD.

Rural Virginia here, I wanna see this so badly :(:hf::(

SwissCM posted:

:stare::fh:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SwissCM posted:

loving. Right. This is The Guest.

This trailer reminded me that my favourite characters are the father and the brother. The dad almost seems like he's chewing the poo poo out of the scenery with just a small part, and the brother seems to be doing the opposite. The latter is a good, really understated performance that completely drives home how insane "David" is with simple facial reactions to his crazy suggestions. Leland Orser is this weird, manic presence that I find hilarious when placed next to so much violence.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

loving. Right. This is The Guest.

This trailer reminded me that my favourite characters are the father and the brother. The dad almost seems like he's chewing the poo poo out of the scenery with just a small part, and the brother seems to be doing the opposite. The latter is a good, really understated performance that completely drives home how insane "David" is with simple facial reactions to his crazy suggestions. Leland Orser is this weird, manic presence that I find hilarious when placed next to so much violence.

If you liked the dad keep an eye out for Faults. Great little film. Same producers. Same sound designer ;)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jst0rm posted:

If you liked the dad keep an eye out for Faults. Great little film. Same producers. Same sound designer ;)

If you really are the sound designer for this movie, I want to give you an Oscar, and tell you to split it with the guy who did the soundtrack. If you did the soundtrack too, clearly you are some sort of Synth Savant.

Seriously, this movie is hella good. Captain America as a slasher flick, through a Drive lens.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

If you really are the sound designer for this movie, I want to give you an Oscar, and tell you to split it with the guy who did the soundtrack. If you did the soundtrack too, clearly you are some sort of Synth Savant.

Seriously, this movie is hella good. Captain America as a slasher flick, through a Drive lens.

cheers bud. I just got a emmy so we will see what happens. lol. Oscars are 10x harder to get. I was not the composer though. Most of the music isnt composed in the film and thats all on Adam and his selections.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Outstanding. Perfect tone. Perfect time. Everything about it is kind of like a great 80s song: fun, entertaining as all hell, and never wears out its welcome. Also tongue in cheek funniness out the wazoo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Man I can't wait to see this. It sucks that it's not getting an actual wide release in theaters outside of the handful of biggest US cities until October 3. The premise reminds me of a really dark version of some Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle from the 90's or something, with Arnold playing the fish-out-of-water tough guy teaching a family how to deal with their problems "his way". Only in this one, the tough guy is a psychopath who's been trained to kill without remorse instead of just a hardass with a heart of gold.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

SwissCM posted:

Holy poo poo I have a movie boner. This really is so much better than the official trailer which I had forgot until coming to this thread.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Man I can't wait to see this. It sucks that it's not getting an actual wide release in theaters outside of the handful of biggest US cities until October 3. The premise reminds me of a really dark version of some Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle from the 90's or something, with Arnold playing the fish-out-of-water tough guy teaching a family how to deal with their problems "his way". Only in this one, the tough guy is a psychopath who's been trained to kill without remorse instead of just a hardass with a heart of gold.

Exactly. At the end, there's this part where Dan Stevens goes on about the son doing the right thing for like a paragraph of dialogue with a knife stuck in his chest that had me howling. Everytime you think he's done, he's got something more supportive to say. Its amazing. That thumbs up.

Do NOT scroll over that spoiler if you haven't seen it!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

It's the spiritual sequel to kindegarten cop

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Holy poo poo! This movie will rock your face so hard. If this isn't a Halloween classic for years to come then we have failed as a society

The thing that's so wonderful is that it's a ridiculous, goofy fun premise for a movie, but unlike all the other lovely 80s throwbacks, this commits 100% to playing it straight. Just in terms of filmmaking this is an incredibly well done, all the performances are spot on perfect, the camera movement is restrained, the editing is tight.

If Tarantino tried to riff on a Carpenter movie, this would be it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The soundtrack is incredibly legit. So glad I bought it.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
Does anyone have a list of all the songs in the film, including anything not on the released soundtrack?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

bullet3 posted:

Holy poo poo! This movie will rock your face so hard. If this isn't a Halloween classic for years to come then we have failed as

I haven't even seen it yet but I have a feeling this movie will be for Halloween what Die Hard is for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Its website says there will be a wide release on October 3rd. I wouldn't worry about being able to catch it in theaters unless you live in a area with only a few screens.

Yeah where exactly does it say this? Because the 3rd is coming up in two days and... at least in my area of the country I'm not even seeing it on any "coming soon" areas on any theater chain website. Guess I'm one of the unlucky several who aren't going to get to see this in theaters, or at least not in October.

• Locked thread