Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just watched this movie after noticing the thread title and getting sold on it by the thread... what a great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Stevens was pretty good in A Walk Among the Tombstones, which was a much better movie than I expected it to be.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

I think I'm the last to arrive at this party but I gotta give this movie some props. It's got a lot of aspects I enjoy. First, it took me no time to realize this was filmed about 40 minutes from my hometown, and I love what they did visually with the distant desert mountain landscape and the big sky. Second, somebody gave Leland Orser a role with some meat on it and he knocks a supporting performance out of the park. To top it all off the interior visuals look sleek as hell and the soundtrack is exactly my kind of stuff. All of this helps to inoculate some tonal awkwardness that comes with the genre-mashing. Solid watch. Thank you all for recommending it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 19, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah. I watched this movie a while ago but this is my basic sentiment also. Movie's real good.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
LelandOrserSuperfan91

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think I'm the last to arrive at this party but I gotta give this movie some props. It's got a lot of aspects I enjoy. First, it took me no time to realize this was filmed about 40 minutes from my hometown, and I love what they did visually with the distant desert mountain landscape and the big sky. Second, somebody gave Leland Orser a role with some meat on it and he knocks a supporting performance out of the park. To top it all off the interior visuals look sleek as hell and the soundtrack is exactly my kind of stuff. All of this helps to inoculate some tonal awkwardness that comes with the genre-mashing. Solid watch. Thank you all for recommending it.

Check out Faults if you haven't yet. He is really good in that, too.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Thanks. That looks rad.

I forgot to ask if anyone knew what this movie's budget was.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I forgot to ask if anyone knew what this movie's budget was.

Not on Wikipedia, IMDB or boxofficemojo. Can only assume it isn't public tbh.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Original score is available for order now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this movie is batshit awesome and I can't believe it came from the same dude that directed garbage bin dogshit like ABCs of Death or VHS. talk about a huge turnaround.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I just saw this, and it is sold out. I wanted this so bad.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if Moore releases it digitally through his bandcamp soon. He did that with his Horror Business score after Death Waltz put it out for RSD a couple years ago.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

MinibarMatchman posted:

this movie is batshit awesome and I can't believe it came from the same dude that directed garbage bin dogshit like ABCs of Death or VHS. talk about a huge turnaround.

You might want to watch You're Next. I also hated ABCs of Death but loved You're Next.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

User-Friendly posted:

You might want to watch You're Next. I also hated ABCs of Death but loved You're Next.

Yeah there's also the fact that ABCs of Death and VHS were anthology movies that he just did short segments for, and You're Next was his previous full feature-length movie. It was also really good if you like slasher movies even a little bit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nate fisher posted:

I just saw this, and it is sold out. I wanted this so bad.

They just put a few of the black versions back on their website as of 6 minutes ago: http://mondotees.com/products/the-guest-original-score-lp It is probably going to sell out quick.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sirotan posted:

They just put a few of the black versions back on their website as of 6 minutes ago: http://mondotees.com/products/the-guest-original-score-lp It is probably going to sell out quick.

Thank you so much. Just ordered.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

Check out Faults if you haven't yet. He is really good in that, too.

Everybody go see faults NAOW. Leland is awesome in it and so is Jon Gris and Winstead. Leland is the best eating actor on the planet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jst0rm posted:

Everybody go see faults NAOW. Leland is awesome in it and so is Jon Gris and Winstead. Leland is the best eating actor on the planet.

Is Faults gory, or is there any rapey stuff? We saw the trailer and were very intrigued, but I want to protect my wife. She can handle "normal" violence in a psychological thriller or a dark comedy, but not that kind of content.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is Faults gory, or is there any rapey stuff? We saw the trailer and were very intrigued, but I want to protect my wife. She can handle "normal" violence in a psychological thriller or a dark comedy, but not that kind of content.

No to both

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah, it's definitely a slow-burning thriller for the most part. I have a giant crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead, too, and she's like the best modern scream queen out there who knocks it out of the park in Faults.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just to keep you guys up to date The woods is filming right now :) Probably go into post production around October.

Also faults is creepy and does it in a clean way. I really enjoyed working on it. There are enough little funny moments to break it up and not grind you down too bad. Very entertaining.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Jst0rm posted:

Just to keep you guys up to date The woods is filming right now :) Probably go into post production around October.

Also faults is creepy and does it in a clean way. I really enjoyed working on it. There are enough little funny moments to break it up and not grind you down too bad. Very entertaining.

You worked on Faults, too? drat, man, you're livin' the (my) dream.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

You worked on Faults, too? drat, man, you're livin' the (my) dream.

Its my dream too ;) Lots of skipped meals and working without pay to get here. It was worth it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, we watched Faults tonight. Good movie -- definitely creepy, with an unsettling sense of dread pervading the whole thing. Very different from The Guest, but anyone in this thread who hasn't seen it would certainly like it.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
https://soundcloud.com/stevemoore2600

He uploaded "Bar Fight" now for anyone who is interested. I need this goddamn soundtrack.

Edit: Oops, looks like it's been up a while already. Well, it can't be brought up enough anyway.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I have to agree with the poster on the previous page that this is more of a Bourne spin off than Captain America. Bourne had the CIA creating assassins via brainwashing (and in Bourne Legacy, genetic reprograming & retroviruses), and this was more of "here's the military version"

That said, it was awesome and pure 80s schlock but a lot of fun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just watched, man Dan Stevens has that Cary Elwes' as-you-wish thing down. When he starts killing people you're just like "why man why :qq:"

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

sky shark posted:

I have to agree with the poster on the previous page that this is more of a Bourne spin off than Captain America. Bourne had the CIA creating assassins via brainwashing (and in Bourne Legacy, genetic reprograming & retroviruses), and this was more of "here's the military version"

That said, it was awesome and pure 80s schlock but a lot of fun.

That's also like, literally what Captain America is, though?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just watched this movie because I stumbled upon this thread, thought it looked okay, and holy poo poo this movie rocked.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Alan Smithee posted:

Just watched, man Dan Stevens has that Cary Elwes' as-you-wish thing down. When he starts killing people you're just like "why man why :qq:"

I had the opposite reaction. I thought he was barely holding something back the entire film, and when he unleashed it was a "Hey thanks for being honest."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I had initially thought they were overplaying that he was off-kilter, but that turned out not to be an issue given the extremes he ultimately went to.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Hey if you want to read the screenplay for The Guest (and You're Next), here you go.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Yeah I was actually cringing at the early scenes with him putting on his corny, passive 'good ol' boy' persona and that created an interesting dynamic later on when the carnage started and I actually felt relieved.

This film made me embrace violence.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The ending sure was something. Made me a bit angry, because seriously, How would you survive that many gunshot wounds and getting stabbed in the neck and in or near the heart? Is this the kind of super soldier that needs his head to get cut off to actually finish the job?

The rest of the movie was great though. Dan Stevens was so creepy but had such overbearing charisma and swagger in so many scenes. It makes you hate him and fear him and admire him a bit.

The haunted house bits with the soundtrack were really what cemented it as schlocky. But good schlock.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I noticed The Guest is being added to Netflix streaming in July. That should really raise its profile and introduce it to a huge new audience.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I noticed The Guest is being added to Netflix streaming in July. That should really raise its profile and introduce it to a huge new audience.

It'll also give me an excuse to watch it weekly.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Thanks to Netflix, I finally saw The Guest yesterday after hearing good things about it for the past year. And then I bought it, so it's safe to say I enjoyed the movie. I've recommended it to several people today.

The "psychopath Cap" angle really worked for me, and holds up to a hilarious degree. Not just in David's demeanor, but I also clued into his apparent immunity to alcohol, his lack of need for sleep, and casually toting two kegs, so the literal supersoldier reveal in the last half didn't throw me much.

Also, thanks Jst0rm for contacting the film makers a few pages ago, because their response supports my initial reading of the film: that David is sincere in his intentions throughout, but he's forced to work around his programming. That fits in with the whole worst-case-scenario/benevolent murderfairy Steve Rogers idea, and I also think it's more interesting than David just being a bad dude out to trick an innocent family. There's another layer of tragedy over the whole thing if he might have once been the good man everyone now takes him for, but the Program or whatever not only gifted him with a talent for violence, but corrupted him into such a bizarre killing machine that violence is how he solves every problem.

Like, I love how zany and playful the movie is, but I also like idea that maybe David only ever earnestly wanted to help people, but he's doomed to destroy everyone around him, which he doesn't figure out until it's already happening. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The music (and title font!) is a great Carpenter homage, and I love the surreal, over-the-top Halloween aesthetics of the closing scenes. Spooky, funny, weird: this is a top-tier Halloween movie. David's motivational speeches had me laughing in horrified delight.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Crisco Kid posted:

Like, I love how zany and playful the movie is, but I also like idea that maybe David only ever earnestly wanted to help people, but he's doomed to destroy everyone around him, which he doesn't figure out until it's already happening. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I watched it just a couple weeks ago. Such a good movie, and loved the score. It felt like an 80's movie, the kind you are intrigued by the box at the videostore and find out it's a real gem.

I think David is a commentary on how military solutions don't translate well to civilian life. Like, the difference between a cop and a soldier. A cop is taught to try to subdue violent people, whereas a soldier just goes straight into neutralizing the target/killing them.

David had good intentions, but the way he had been tinkered with, the only solutions he could come up with were violent ones. And even against people he really cares about, he can't break away from his programming.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In a way The Guest is kinda like V for Vendetta (the movie). Government project gone wrong, crazy dude goes around taking poo poo down. It's the anti-Captain America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Vegetable posted:

In a way The Guest is kinda like V for Vendetta (the movie). Government project gone wrong, crazy dude goes around taking poo poo down. It's the anti-Captain America.

The only thing I disagree is that the project went wrong.For any war metric, it is very succesful. Unless it's in a civilian enviroment, then yes, it's a failure.

• Locked thread