Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kal-L posted:

The only thing I disagree is that the project went wrong.For any war metric, it is very succesful. Unless it's in a civilian enviroment, then yes, it's a failure.

Is it successful if they failed to contain it though? I would think that in a combat setting, it's entirely possible and even probable that David would cause massive collateral damage on both sides if let off his leash. I guess he could kinda be used as a bomb that way and not as a part of a team though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just wish there were a cut of this film that didn't have the stupid scenes early on that tip you off way ahead of time that Men In Black are looking for him. From what I understand those were added later and the director didn't really want them in there.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

precision posted:

I just wish there were a cut of this film that didn't have the stupid scenes early on that tip you off way ahead of time that Men In Black are looking for him. From what I understand those were added later and the director didn't really want them in there.

I would've thought the director put them in on purpose to strengthen the parallels between Lance Reddick and his character's overt reference to Nick Fury and SHIELD. In The Guest they're sitting at conference tables in shadowy, vaguely governmental organizations chartering secret flights and organizing strike teams to neutralize David. In the second Captain America film SHIELD designates Cap a rogue agent and organize strike teams to neutralize him. I enjoyed the parallels

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

Find out for yourself!!
http://kpgindustries.com/post/121618353493/shooting-screenplays-for-youre-next-and-the

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has Wingard announced his next project yet? (Besides the Outcast pilot)

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Rhyno posted:

Has Wingard announced his next project yet? (Besides the Outcast pilot)

This first.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guest-director-adam-wingard-goes-770356

Then this.
http://www.slashfilm.com/adam-wingard-death-note/

There ya go.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 17, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Wait wait, Adam Wingard is set to do a remake of I Saw the Devil? That's a foreign film remake I'd actually be really curious to see. It seems like the kind of movie that Wingard would absolutely kill if he's given enough control over the project, it's so his kind of movie.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Whaaaat, amazing! :aaa:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Would Death Note be the first recent movie by him without Barrett?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Wait wait, Adam Wingard is set to do a remake of I Saw the Devil? That's a foreign film remake I'd actually be really curious to see. It seems like the kind of movie that Wingard would absolutely kill if he's given enough control over the project, it's so his kind of movie.

It struck me as a good idea executed poorly, so I'd be interested in another take.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finally watched 'You're Next' this last weekend, and what a nice take on the tropes of horror and home invasion movies. Not as good as 'The Guest', but I would consider it one of the best horror movies I've seen in the last 5 years or so.

Your first reaction should be 'yawn another kids in the woods movies'. Then you see Barrett is writing with Wingard directing, the movie moves to the top of your must see new horror movies.

Also I don't want Wingard to do remakes. I just want him and Barrett to do their little projects. Fun fact I just realized today that Wingard was born in the town that I work in, Oak Ridge, TN.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

It struck me as a good idea executed poorly, so I'd be interested in another take.

I don't even think it was executed poorly, but you could've tightened it up big time. It's like 2 hours and 30 minutes long and you could've chopped off at least 30 easily.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

There were some missteps, sure, like an entire psycho cannibal family straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre living in the woods, but overall I really liked it and would like to see the premise possibly done better.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Choi Min Sik & Lee Byung Kun are both great in ISTD, and even though you are all right about the runtime/pacing & missteps. some of the scenes crazy taxi 360 stabfest are downright amazing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

There were some missteps, sure, like an entire psycho cannibal family straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre living in the woods

I dont want to live in a world where this is in any way a misstep

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A lot of Korean thrillers have an extremely jarring but ultimately hilarious shift into a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I dont want to live in a world where this is in any way a misstep

In a movie that's specifically about that family then yeah, but when the main character is on the run from a psycho and he hides out in the house of a family who's on the psycho's side because they're all killer cannibals it kind of... it's hard to say it stretches belief in a movie like ISTD but there we are.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a movie that's less than the sum of its parts. There's lots of terrific scenes and great touches (as a minor point, I love that, when he lines up all the possible suspects, the right one is the second last guy, not the last one) but it somehow adds up to a messy movie that's way too long and left me pretty unsatisfied.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A lot of Korean thrillers have an extremely jarring but ultimately hilarious shift into a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

I'd actually forgotten that the director of the Vengeance trilogy directed Snowpiercer when I finally saw it, but I was reminded when people started pulling machine guns out in a schoolhouse after there was a big goofy singalong with kids. Although I guess the big fight before that was straight from the hallway scene in Oldboy.

e: Also yes, I know that Kang-ho Song was in it too so that should've been a giveaway.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 22, 2015

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Park Chan Wook was just a producer on Snowpiercer, Bong Joon Ho was the director. He made The Host and Mother and a few other things

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Grenade scene in the diner is still great.

'Welp'
*rolls frags*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Glamorama26 posted:

Park Chan Wook was just a producer on Snowpiercer, Bong Joon Ho was the director. He made The Host and Mother and a few other things

Park Chan Wook's best film is still, not Oldboy, but rather Thirst. It's on Hulu streaming, not sure where else. It's probably on YouTube honestly if you dig around, like most Korean films.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I like Thirst alot, but I lean towards Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. That changes weekly for me, I really like all of Park's work honestly. I'm A Cyborg...and his short from 3 Extremes are great as well.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Lady Vengeance is extremely my poo poo, and, for me, an almost perfect revenge film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Glamorama26 posted:

I like Thirst alot, but I lean towards Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. That changes weekly for me, I really like all of Park's work honestly. I'm A Cyborg...and his short from 3 Extremes are great as well.

Oh I actually forgot he directed I'm A Cyborg But That's OK, I loved that one.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys. Just saw a work print of [REDACTED] and it was in great shape. Hopefully it will be in channel early-mid 2016. Start real work on it in 2 weeks™

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Cooool

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Lady Vengeance is extremely my poo poo, and, for me, an almost perfect revenge film.

it was my favorite of the trilogy for sure.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Teasers are coming now...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3390396/woods-trailer-boasts-one-scariest-movies-ever/

:) I wont start a thread as I'm not good at that.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Can't wait! (I posted this earlier in the horror thread)

Hope you had fun working on it!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

Can't wait! (I posted this earlier in the horror thread)

Hope you had fun working on it!

It was a great challenge and I hope everyone enjoys it. We really went for something unique ;)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I loved You're Next and The Guest, but that teaser doesn't look like anything special at all to me :shrug:

I guess I'll see what the big deal is when it comes out, I'm sure there's more to it than just "an evil [THING] is in the forest killing people".

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jst0rm posted:

Teasers are coming now...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3390396/woods-trailer-boasts-one-scariest-movies-ever/

:) I wont start a thread as I'm not good at that.

Nice teaser. Adam Wingard is quickly becoming one of my favorite genre directors.

King Vidiot posted:

I loved You're Next and The Guest, but that teaser doesn't look like anything special at all to me :shrug:

I guess I'll see what the big deal is when it comes out, I'm sure there's more to it than just "an evil [THING] is in the forest killing people".

To be honest I refused to watch You're Next at first, because I took it as another typical 'people trapped in their own house being picked off one by one by crazies' movie. It actually took seeing The Guest to get me to watch it. So I agree while it might possibly look very vanilla on the surface, the names attached point to it being a fresh take.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 10, 2016

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Nice teaser. Adam Wingard is quickly becoming one of my favorite genre directors.

To be honest I refused to watch You're Next at first, because I took it as another typical 'people trapped in their own house being picked off one by one by crazies' movie. It actually took seeing The Guest to get me to watch it. So I agree while it might possibly look very vanilla on the surface, the names attached point to it being a fresh take.

Next film is already in the pipe ;)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Loved this movie. The climax was really good.

Soundtrack is awesome, but OP mentioning the 80s revival stuff and not Front 242, Clan of Xymox and DAF is a missed opportunity.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mondo is releasing the score on a limited-edition pink vinyl record.

https://twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/803736817920970752

quote:

The Guest - Original Score LP. Composed and Produced by Steve Moore. Artwork by Alan Hynes. Pressed on 180g Hot Pink Vinyl and housed inside a 350 matte laminated jacket with belly band. $28

Death Waltz Recording Company has yet another ace up our sleeve with the soundtrack to 2014's best action films, Adam Wingard's THE GUEST, with a musical score by Steve Moore. Critically acclaimed, the “guest” in question is David, a young man who lands on the doorstep of the Peterson family claiming to be a comrade of their son, who was killed while on tour in Afghanistan,. But while David appears to a model citizen, the family daughter discovers several clues that make her wonder “Just who is this man?”

Just like the film is a homage to 80's thrillers like THE TERMINATOR, Steve Moore's score belongs in another time, another place. Homaging rather than emulating, the music feels not only absolutely authentic but also fits the film like a glove. Great synth melodies are plentiful, the electronics swell with mystery and intrigue, and the sense of the robotic electro music has is perfect for the character of David. It's an intense journey but not one without reward – don't be afraid to let THE GUEST into your home and onto your turntable.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Mondo is releasing the score on a limited-edition pink vinyl record.

https://twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/803736817920970752

Thank you for posting that! Just picked it up. I was so bummed when I missed out on the first pressing.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Just saw and really enjoyed The Guest.

Note to all future directors: this is how you reference Alice in Wonderland.

Be Subtle. Don't draw attention to it. Use the imagery of being through the looking glass, but don't call her Alice or make jokes about purple cats.

Put her in a uniform that evokes it, but don't have her wear it all the time. Call her Anna, not Alice. Have her go through mirrors, have her stand on a chess board and be directed across it in the company of a knight, let her get advice from a smoke blowing caterpillar who turns out to be a deadly butterfly...

Good poo poo. Thanks for the recommendation!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mm, those boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fuuuck that movie was so gorgeous

• Locked thread