Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I've got a 2000W Chinese clone of a Honda generator that I bought at Costco a couple years ago for around $500. It's made by Champion Power Equipment, and it's been rock solid. It's only 2-3 decibels louder than the Honda, and once you stick it at the front of your car and run an extension cord you'll never hear it. I think that they've even introduced a newer model that's quieter and a little cheaper than mine.

I've also bought an extra DirecTV dish, and then I just bring the receiver from my guest room with me to the tailgate. I've got one of the fancy new receivers, which means that I can't use one of the awesome auto-aligning dishes. If you're using an older box, I'd pony up for a VuQube (or something similar) so you don't have to dick around with getting the dish lined up for a half hour. I replaced all of the nuts on the dish with wingnuts so that I can disassemble the thing without a wrench for packing up. It sits on a fencepost that I bought from Lowe's, and then that goes into an antenna tripod from Radio Shack. If it's extra windy, I'll sit something heavy on the feet of the tripod.

We've had the generator powering a 32" LCD TV, the satellite box and power injector, a speaker, a fan, some lights, and two Crockpots for hours and hours with no issues. It's really awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread