Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CmdrKing posted:

Turns out people though that was loving awesome so we got a whole series of him murdering all the things without much irony or awareness. e: I should note I only know GoWII and III by reputation so maybe they are more aware than they seem on the outside.

Well, why do you think the Ancient Greek heroes became famous back in Ancient Greece? Some things never change.

And one other comparison I'd make between Greek heroes and modern comic books: the most popular hero (Heracles) somehow manages to guest-star in everyone else's line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And one other comparison I'd make between Greek heroes and modern comic books: the most popular hero (Heracles) somehow manages to guest-star in everyone else's line.

Greek heroes really do share a lot in common with modern superheroes. And given that much of the mythology is oral tradition, there's tons of opportunities for a given storyteller to mash their favorite heroes together. Keep in mind that what we think of as the definitive Greek myths are really just the version that had the most enduring support; very likely a given story was rarely told the same way twice.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the idea of some proto-Goon with an exhaustive list of continuity errors that the storytellers singing about Heracles etc made engraved on hundreds of stone tablets.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I always get he harpies confused with the furies, the other part lady/part winged animal monster that i don't think show up in the series unless they just replace harpies in one game or something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Smornstein posted:

I always get he harpies confused with the furies, the other part lady/part winged animal monster that i don't think show up in the series unless they just replace harpies in one game or something.

Welllllll
They get their very own game where they are the Big A Antagonists.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I don't think Kratos is supposed to be a sympathetic character- I mean he keeps getting duped, but at the most by 3 the developers don't intend for him to be sympathetic. Pitiable in a way, but not sympathetic. Super fun to play as, though.

Antikythera
Jan 27, 2011

Just like clockwork.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I don't think Kratos is supposed to be a sympathetic character- I mean he keeps getting duped, but at the most by 3 the developers don't intend for him to be sympathetic. Pitiable in a way, but not sympathetic. Super fun to play as, though.

I think he's supposed to be tragic, but like tragic in the way that he's kind of a gently caress up and this is mostly his own fault.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's been a long time, Odysseus!*

[*To see Odysseus and Heracles' first meeting, listen to The Odyssey Issue 72!]

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Antikythera posted:

I think he's supposed to be tragic, but like tragic in the way that he's kind of a gently caress up and this is mostly his own fault.

A tragic hero is one who is brought down by his own flaws, which is a fairly reasonable description of Kratos. He doesn't have to be likeable to be tragic.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
That whole line about Athena despising peace just reminds me of this one time, years ago, when I was watching that old Disney Hercules cartoon, and Ares is bitching out Athena for giving his Dogs of War ridiculous poodle haircuts, and Athena (giant loving shears in hand) just looks him in the eye and says something like, "That wouldn't be a very wise thing for the goddess of wisdom to do, would it?"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

That whole line about Athena despising peace just reminds me of this one time, years ago, when I was watching that old Disney Hercules cartoon, and Ares is bitching out Athena for giving his Dogs of War ridiculous poodle haircuts, and Athena (giant loving shears in hand) just looks him in the eye and says something like, "That wouldn't be a very wise thing for the goddess of wisdom to do, would it?"

You're welcome.

man, that's a hella lame cartoon. kinda glad I never watched it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I don't think Kratos is supposed to be somebody you like. I mean the series is popular because it nailed a really fluid feeling combat with a sense that the character is actually powerful without just making everything a chump. The writing (which I don't think anyone has ever called "good") was far behind encounter design on the dev priority list.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is my first exposure to the God of War storyline and I am very very confused.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Herr Tog posted:

This is my first exposure to the God of War storyline and I am very very confused.

:kratos: Rargh I'ma kill all the things
:orks: Barbarians rule Spartans drool
:kratos: Oh no Ares save me
:hist101: I'll save you Kratos but now I own your rear end, have some kickass weapons
:kratos: ~scene missing~
:kratos: Ares sucks donkey balls, also I wanna die now
:j: Hey why don't you go kill Ares for us?

(If anyone cares to suggest a better emote for Athena than :j:, feel free)

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

morallyobjected posted:

You're welcome.

Oh my God you even found the entire episode, why would you actually do that.

Even odds this one scene inspired the entire God of War series.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
That's the most goddamned oversized and distracting channel logo I've ever seen.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT

morallyobjected posted:

The only good part of that show was James Woods

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:hist101: I'll save you Kratos but now I own your rear end, have some kickass weapons

Is that for the whole series or just this game?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well in detail, just this game. The general shape holds true though. Kratos tries to kill his way past his emotional trauma and it is not how you do that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

Kratos is a dumbass who does dumb things for dumb and contradictory reasons that make no sense and his moronic fuckface clownshoes come within a cockhair of blowing up the entire world. That's it, that's the plot.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm sure we'll get there when we get there but there's a gorgeous little scene in the back half of GoW2 where Kratos says very slowly and deliberately says, "I do not wish to destroy [PLACENAME], or hurt anyone other than [MACGUFFIN] I only wish for vengeance" and then, literally twenty seconds later after accidentally-on-purpose killing one of the few sympathetic characters left standing, screams "I WILL DESTROY [PLACENAME] AND KILL YOU ALL!" directly contradicting his previous sentence with his next one because he can't stop killing the wrong fuckin' people. The antagonist(s) do nothing wrong, Kratos just works himself into a genocidal lather right there on the spot all by himself, and kicks off GoW3.

Even goldfish can point out flaws in Kratos' long-term decision making.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 22, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think my favorite part of this is what it says about Kratos. That he's actually quite weak and cowardly if he ever encounters adversity that he doesn't have superpowers to overcome.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
So normally I would update tomorrow, but unfortunately I'm having a bit of trouble getting an education segment ready, plus I work retail in America so most people know what that means this week.

Hopefully next week I'll have something.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

kalonZombie posted:

So normally I would update tomorrow, but unfortunately I'm having a bit of trouble getting an education segment ready, plus I work retail in America so most people know what that means this week.

Hopefully next week I'll have something.

Retail. Get out now, you mad fool. Better to die frozen and starved in the gutter than to deal with holiday shoppers. The music. Oh god, I can hear the music!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Athena as the determined and possibly demented protector of Athens kind of makes sense, in rear end in a top hat Olympian contexts. Where two or three are together, they will march on Athens.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Well with that little delay out of the way, it should be smooth sailing from here. The rest of the videos are edited and just awaiting commentary, so if I was doing something that annoyed you during my playthrough it's too late to bring it up!

Episode 12: Roman Gods ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy ... Hosted

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks for LPing this game, Kalon! Kind of a weird ending, but what are you going to do? :shrug: It's still fun.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
That conveyor belt/crusher room is a huge pain in the arse, despite all the enemies being incredibly non-threatening in any other circumstance.

It's nothing compared to what's going to be in the next video though. :kratos:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm gonna confirm ( :haw: ) that yes, you do confirm critical hits in 3.5.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Psch, the next video is clearly the epilogue, featuring a montage of Ares decimating Athens. I mean, our protagonist is dead, so obviously there's no way the game could actually oh I can't even type that with a straight face.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

Psch, the next video is clearly the epilogue, featuring a montage of Ares decimating Athens. I mean, our protagonist is dead, so obviously there's no way the game could actually oh I can't even type that with a straight face.

Yeah. I mean, c'mon guys, you saw the first video.

At least, I assume you did.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I really do like that you go through all that poo poo to get Pandora's Box and then Ares just goes "oh right I should probably do something about that Kratos guy".

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oh goddamnit this game

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
There are no bad cerberi, just bad cerberi owners.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I know that fratricide/parricide... though, knowing the inherent misogyny of Greek culture, probably NOT sorricide/matricide, we considered pretty terrible crimes in ancient Greece, but was there anything considered worse?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Everyone's doing great informative LPs at the moment.

:munch:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

"Pahterrr and mahterrrr fuhmeelyuhs"

He's trying so hard to make it sound right. :allears:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Samovar posted:

I know that fratricide/parricide... though, knowing the inherent misogyny of Greek culture, probably NOT sorricide/matricide, we considered pretty terrible crimes in ancient Greece, but was there anything considered worse?

No. Pissing off a god gives you the most terrible fate, but kinslaying does that, too. The killing of kin is punishable by the Erinyes, also known as the Furies and the etymological source of the word that means "blinding rage." The Erinyes punished the breakers of sacred oaths of all kinds, not just those who break the bonds of family, and they are known to be older than the Olympiads, frightening to behold, and relentless in their assault.

There is one known case of a person escaping the wrath of the Furies, but actually it also reinforces that inherent misogyny of Greek culture. In the sole surviving Greek play trilogy, the Oresteia by Aeschylus, Orestes avenges his father Agamemnon's murder by killing his mother and her lover. Despite being commanded by Apollo to do this, the Furies are still invoked and hound Orestes to Athens. And with that setup, the third play turns into a courtroom drama with Apollo as defense attorney, the Erinyes as prosecutors, the Greek Chorus of Athenians as the jury, and Athena as the presiding judge. Apollo's primary defense is that mothers are not actually related to their children and are instead more like the fertile earth which holds the father's seed. This defense causes a split in the jury, and so Athena casts the deciding vote in favor of acquittal. The Erinyes threaten to torment everyone at that point, but Athena convinces them to back down through a combination of sacrificial bribery, persuasion to redirect their energies to justice and the defense of Athens, and the threat of getting Daddy's thunderbolts and going to town on them.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Despite being commanded by Apollo to do this, the Furies are still invoked and hound Orestes to Athens.

That's kind of what I was trying (and failing) to get at earlier when I was talking about hubris. You're basically screwed if you put so much as a toenail out of line with the gods in Greek mythology, for any reason up to and including "the gods said to"; you don't get off with a warning unless you're under so much duress that your mitigating circumstances have mitigating circumstances.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dr. Buttass posted:

That's kind of what I was trying (and failing) to get at earlier when I was talking about hubris. You're basically screwed if you put so much as a toenail out of line with the gods in Greek mythology, for any reason up to and including "the gods said to"; you don't get off with a warning unless you're under so much duress that your mitigating circumstances have mitigating circumstances.

Bottom line is sometimes you just can't win. Greek mythology is not always a hopeful place to be.

• Locked thread