Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

No. Pissing off a god gives you the most terrible fate, but kinslaying does that, too. The killing of kin is punishable by the Erinyes, also known as the Furies and the etymological source of the word that means "blinding rage." The Erinyes punished the breakers of sacred oaths of all kinds, not just those who break the bonds of family, and they are known to be older than the Olympiads, frightening to behold, and relentless in their assault.

Also known as the Kindly Ones. As memorably invoked in one of the most epic Sandman arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Great Joe posted:

"Pahterrr and mahterrrr fuhmeelyuhs"

He's trying so hard to make it sound right. :allears:

This is how I was taught to pronounce this stuff, though I admit it was rusty as poo poo.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
So there's a God of War 4 officially in development right now. Sometime 2015 or 2016 is the expected date.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Hahahaaaaaaaa gently caress this level.

Episode 13: Greek Tragedy ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy ... Hosted

Tune in next week for the final fight!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Who put the Oblivion exploration music on the education.

I hate you.

:mad:

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Hades is still one of the most memorable parts of GoW 1 for me mostly because of those drat flaming Satyrs and the weird bladed pillar climbing segment.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I always found the rotating climbing section was annoying because the hit detection always felt weird, like Kratos would just be close to the flat part of the blade and it would count it as hit and you'd fall allllll the way down.

I got the gold trophy first time though, although I most definitely got hit many, many times. Not gonna complain though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The design of this game's Underworld as well as Hades himself makes sense when you consider that the developers were most likely working under the assumption that Hades and the Underworld are Satan and Hell respectively even though that assumption's completely incorrect mythically speaking.

The fact that it got abandoned after this game is do to them doing actual research and discovering that Hades=/=Satan and the Underworld=/=Hell.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 10, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Yet Hades still looks hosed up and gross in 3, so uh... they couldn't have researched TOO much.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Smornstein posted:

Hades is still one of the most memorable parts of GoW 1 for me mostly because of those drat flaming Satyrs and the weird bladed pillar climbing segment.

I mostly remember the rotating platforming segments myself.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
So Kratos dies and goes to hell with the blades still attached to him, and when he comes out he's healthy and regular again. So I guess when you die in God of War World a portal opens up and sucks your corpse into the underworld and then revives you? Or else the underworld makes copies of all your stuff, which means Kratos could go loot his corpse and emulate Bayonetta with huge chain blades.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
So wait, if killing family is such a big crime, why aren't the Furies after Kratos?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

Yet Hades still looks hosed up and gross in 3, so uh... they couldn't have researched TOO much.

To be fair, even in-game it's established that the Olympians are shapeshifters (see: Poseidon in 3) so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that he uses the horrifying battle form to basically lower his enemy's fighting ability through fear.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Iretep posted:

So wait, if killing family is such a big crime, why aren't the Furies after Kratos?

Writers didn't know. :effort:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Iretep posted:

Someone said earlier that they're the main villains of one of the handheld games, so...they get around to it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Someone said earlier that they're the main villains of one of the handheld games, so...they get around to it.

Not one of the handhelds, but yeah, one of the prequels kind of touches on the furies in a big way.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You guys mentioned that Kratos has basically been an rear end in a top hat in (nearly) all possible ways, which reminded me of this gem from limpcheese's LP of GoW a few years ago. (The joke was that it was the Trial of Ares.)

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

So Kratos dies and goes to hell with the blades still attached to him, and when he comes out he's healthy and regular again. So I guess when you die in God of War World a portal opens up and sucks your corpse into the underworld and then revives you? Or else the underworld makes copies of all your stuff, which means Kratos could go loot his corpse and emulate Bayonetta with huge chain blades.

You more or less get to keep all the stuff you had on your person. This is why they put coins over your eyes when you died, so that you could use them to pay Charon to get across the Styx. I don't think Greek Mythology ever really talked about like a separate soul or whatever, just 'whoops, you died, so now you're off to Hades.'

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SkyTalon2314 posted:

You more or less get to keep all the stuff you had on your person. This is why they put coins over your eyes when you died, so that you could use them to pay Charon to get across the Styx. I don't think Greek Mythology ever really talked about like a separate soul or whatever, just 'whoops, you died, so now you're off to Hades.'

The Ancient Greek word "psycho" means both "breath" and "soul." They thought that a body's last breath was actively the person's spirit and that is what Hermes collects and brings to Hades in his role as psychopomp.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The poor soul at the start of the video on the far left looks like he/she has four arms.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Samovar posted:

The poor soul at the start of the video on the far left looks like he/she has four arms.

Oh my god.

I just watched it and it's two of the same model clipping into each other.

AAA GAMING EVERYONE!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Impromptu stream at http://www.hitbox.tv/ApeLaw tonight! Everybody in!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Final story update! The game is over, whoo hoo!

Episode 14: Ares ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy ... Hosted

I didn't have enough time to list them by name, really, but I would like to thank Ape, Bobbin Threadbare, Gertrude Perkins, Skippy Granola, Sleep of Bronze, Captain Jenno, Gecko, Vilemoon, Heave, Xumtosis, curiousTerminal, and JordanKai for contributing education segments to the LP. You all did awesome jobs and I hope you voulenteer for things when I come calling for God of War 2 stuff.

Next week I'll be uploading every bonus video for the game. After that probably a week or so break and then I'll be starting the next LP after the holidays are done and Ape, Heave, and I can all regularly do commentary again.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 17, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

That Ares story is actually from the Odyssey; a blind singer recounts the tale as Odysseus recuperates near the end of his journey. Something you skipped over is the bit where Hephaestus basically asks for a divorce by demanding his wedding gifts back from Aphrodite's father (Zeus), but gets talked into having Ares pay the gifts' value as a fine instead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

All I'm hearing at that final cutscene is:
Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

Mostly because how much Kratos looks like Conan at the end with that same pose and frown on his face.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I never actually beat this game. Not because I couldn't get Ares' health to zero, but because of the three times I did it the game bugged the gently caress out and crashed. My favorite of the three was when Ares just stopped doing anything and just stood there while I whiffed my sword through him and nothing happened.

:kratos:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Haha, what? The gods just say "shoulda read the fine print, sucka," after Kratos does their dirty work. Then they won't let him kill himself because he has to replace Ares, but he still apparently gets to have horrible nightmares for eternity.

I'd tell Athena "thanks for the cool golden blades," and then immediately go knock over what was left of her city and piss on the ashes.

Kratos could have just found some dudes to stab him to death. Since he's been forgiven of his sins, the afterlife should be pretty mellow.

E: also, since the gods were being pedantic, Kratos could not die by his own hands. That means, worst case scenario, he could have gotten his hands sliced off and then jumped off a cliff again.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 17, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like how the narrator states 'Kratos had achieved the impossible', and then not more than 10 minutes later, states: 'Kratos had achieved the impossible'. Who did the dialogue for this game? Edgar Rice Burroughs? Would explain the misogyny a bit.

Edit: Show a scene of a city burning and in ruins: 'The city had been saved'.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Pvt.Scott posted:

Haha, what? The gods just say "shoulda read the fine print, sucka," after Kratos does their dirty work. Then they won't let him kill himself because he has to replace Ares, but he still apparently gets to have horrible nightmares for eternity.

I'd tell Athena "thanks for the cool golden blades," and then immediately go knock over what was left of her city and piss on the ashes.

Kratos could have just found some dudes to stab him to death. Since he's been forgiven of his sins, the afterlife should be pretty mellow.

E: also, since the gods were being pedantic, Kratos could not die by his own hands. That means, worst case scenario, he could have gotten his hands sliced off and then jumped off a cliff again.

I think, after watching this game and hearing everything everyone had to say about Greek mythology, you should probably not be so surprised. I mean we have already established that the gods believe "you guys brainwashed me" is no excuse for that kind of behavior.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Samovar posted:

I like how the narrator states 'Kratos had achieved the impossible', and then not more than 10 minutes later, states: 'Kratos had achieved the impossible'. Who did the dialogue for this game? Edgar Rice Burroughs?

Man oh man you are going to LOVE one of the bonus videos next week.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, that's Steve Blum at his hammiest and it's loving glorious.

The only explanation for the first form I can come up with is, well, both Ares and Arachne begin with "Ar". That either makes them spiders or pirates. I guess.
To be fair, I don't think Ares as ever referred to as being particularly smart.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 17, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the story would've been a great deal stronger if Kratos had just splatted on the rocks.

At the same time, if instead of Kratos Kills Mythology, they'd played him having various adventures in new eras of warfare through human history that could've been hella metal.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I think the story would've been a great deal stronger if Kratos had just splatted on the rocks.

At the same time, if instead of Kratos Kills Mythology, they'd played him having various adventures in new eras of warfare through human history that could've been hella metal.

Kratos in the afterlife version of trenches of the western front, followed by fighting in the Boer war and then suddenly he's got a laser rifle and he's fighting aliens on some distant planet would at least make a cool dream montage to play through. His chaos blades in the trenches could be sharpened entrenching tools.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well, it isn't "immediately" and Athens is internally established to be a bunch of rubble so there isn't much left to knock over, but... uh... yeah. That's basically GoW2/3 right there. You just literally described the plot to the next couple games except its EVERYONE and not just Athena.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

That's basically GoW2/3 right there. You just literally described the plot to the next couple games except its EVERYONE and not just Athena.

Basically Zeus rightfully perceives Kratos as a threat, bear in mind that Kratos being a threat was do to the gods giving him power before making the fatal mistake of loving with him, and tries to kill him. This goes about as well as you would expect but that's for the GoW 2 thread when Kalon gets around it that game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So the next games are what, Kratos just getting a list of who's who in Greek mythology and ticking them off one by one? The big spoiler being he's the one who murdered Greek culture and Romans reinvented it from the scratch?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I don't want to spoil too much out of respect to Kalon but it's mainly the gods, specifically Zeus, who are on Kratos' poo poo list. Every other casualty is just a means to an end.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It would be a great 4th wall breaking moment if Kratos killed the Chorus.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:SPOILER ALERT: ORANGE:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:
Spoiler tagged discussion about this game is fine, but please try to reign in talks about the future games.

Just because I beat the game doesn't mean this doesn't still apply, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I wonder how much of the mechanics/scenery was edited last minute to justify the ending sequence.

Was that one sword bridge always a sword?
Was the portal to olympus always there, or is that part of their ending sequence?
Is the Blade of Artemis really just there to give you Practice for the dumb swordbridge sword?

And yet, Kratos sees death, and by extension suicide as a relief from his nightmares, Despite the fact that he literally died in the game's plot and then crawled out of hades. Like... does that death not count? If he just wants the nightmares to stop, couldn't he have just stayed dead? Or did he think he could have his cake and eat it too if he broke out?

I mean, it's shown that when he died he was still conscious, so wouldn't he then have nightmares in hades?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 19, 2014

• Locked thread