Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is that Colonel Campbell as Zeus? The voice sounds really familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

For extra fun, looking up the GOW novel on Amazon shows an audio book version that is being read by someone doing their best Patrick Stewart impression.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Are you sure it's not actually Patrick Stewart? Nowadays that dude just does whatever he thinks will be funny on any given day (and since he seems to be high as gently caress most of the time, that's a low threshold).

Amazon says that the reader is a man by the name of Stephen Hoye, but I'd hire him to be a pretty good impersonator.

Listen for yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/God-War-Matthew-Stover/dp/B007MXRTKC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413552135&sr=8-2&keywords=god+of+war+audio+book

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Here's a "fun" fact about that soldier you sacrifice to move forward. Does he sound familiar while he's begging for his life? He might if you grew up in the 80's-90's. He's voiced by Rob Paulsen who did such cartoon voices as Raphael from classic TMNT and the current Donatello among about 100 others, including Yakko and Pinky. So in order to progress in this game, you may have to sacrifice a major part of your childhood.

You monster.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Are we supposed to like Kratos? I know he's supposed to be a grimdark anti-hero but he has no charisma, he's dumb as hell and his character design was taken from the doodles of a 13 year old boy's maths workbook.

Probably not? I mean he's the protagonist of these games, but he's not the kind of guy you root for. He's a blood thirsty psychopath out for revenge. He's The Punisher without any sense of morality or empathy. It's not even really a lesser of two evils situation. Ares is a petty dickhead, but that's kind of what the Greek Gods are known for. He's waging war against Athens, but what else is the god of war going to do? Cross stitch a tasteful plaque to hang above his mantle?

It's just a shithead vs shithead battle. At least Kratos is fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gensuki posted:

And yet, Kratos sees death, and by extension suicide as a relief from his nightmares, Despite the fact that he literally died in the game's plot and then crawled out of hades. Like... does that death not count? If he just wants the nightmares to stop, couldn't he have just stayed dead? Or did he think he could have his cake and eat it too if he broke out?

I mean, it's shown that when he died he was still conscious, so wouldn't he then have nightmares in hades?

I think it's like this:
Kratos is a shitlord, and he's going to be punished, horribly in the afterlife because of all his offenses
Kratos is currently experiencing unceasing nightmares over killing his family
He strikes a bargain with the gods that if he "saves" Athens, and kills Ares, they will forgive him
When he dies the first time, he hasn't fulfilled his end of the bargain, so he's still doomed to a lovely afterlife
The gods give him an escape out of Hades so he can try again to stop Ares because gently caress that guy
Kratos kills Ares, and "saves" Athens, so the gods will give him the good afterlife -Wine, women, song and slaughter
But the gods didn't say anything about taking away his nightmares. (You're dealing with gods, you should know this poo poo by now)
Kratos figures that at least by dying, for realsies this time, he can get to Valhalla and maybe the nightmares will stop
The gods, capricious as they tend to be, instead appoint him as the new God of War. gently caress your heaven
Nightmare status - still happening. But now he has a cool chair.

• Locked thread