Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
From my own personal embarassments I have long since sold (and somehow got back what I paid for them)

I've learned a bit more about how to balance colours since this. Along with weathering. Highlighting. Shading. Washing. Pretty much everything besides brush to model.

I was pretty proud I had a smooth and relatively clean coat of orange on these bad boys though. Now I just cringe when I think about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
They seem fine? Except they were photographed by the voyager probe.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 1, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

jadebullet posted:

I still like the land speeder made from deodorant from back in the day when they encouraged you to make your own vehicles. (Rather than the 50% stuff of today)

I actually still browse through that Chapter Approved (with the green Defiler on the cover) from time to time to marvel at 3rd Ed. Warhams. The Mercenary Kroot and Feral Ork army lists from that book are so awesome.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Saw this in my local craigslist: A space marine halloween costume!

Only $1800!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
A Land Raider with a working smokestack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lreodxugCq0
And extra reasons that take it from ridiculous to horrible:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why would a blood angels land raider have bloody strippers in it's side sponsons?

edit: i watched the video so apparently it's not blood angels but a weirdly converted non-chaos land raider but still why would there be strippers

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don't make me dig through the grognards.txt facebook posts!

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

WhiteOutMouse posted:

They seem fine? Except they were photographed by the voyager probe.

They were a single colour, all blocked out with a felt pen to "highlight" the recesses. It's just such a gaudy and horrific colour choice I can't believe I did that rather than earth-tone camo; I still don't know what I was thinking. I don't have any more/better photos, I was poor and it was the year 2002. But imagine a sea of firewarriors in bright orange and blue, it made your eyes hurt looking at it too long.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Saw this in my local craigslist: A space marine halloween costume!

Only $1800!

That's... not horrible but very far from the good ones I've seen. In particular the look of the torso region and shoulderpads is off enough to kill it.

Still plenty of respect if I saw someone wearing it for halloween, but paying that much for it? Hahaha no.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

DIY Tau: for when you have nothing but SM bits laying around

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I wouldn't field those as Tau, but they do look pretty neat. I like 'em.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fearless posted:

Field them as Killa Kans. Gretchin copying the Tau.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fearless posted:

I think theyre supposed to be Thallax

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Maybe Legio Cybernetica? If there were actual wargame rules for those - I dunno - and if I actually played the wargame I might field those as is. Sure they look doofy, but there are plenty of official units (like that new Space Wolf gunship) that look no less doofy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

NGDBSS posted:

Maybe Legio Cybernetica? If there were actual wargame rules for those - I dunno - and if I actually played the wargame I might field those as is. Sure they look doofy, but there are plenty of official units (like that new Space Wolf gunship) that look no less doofy.

Official models aren't usually upsidedown terminators though

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I -think- this is supposed to be a Knight. I'm counting at least three different bases involved on this model:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SRM posted:

I -think- this is supposed to be a Knight. I'm counting at least three different bases involved on this model:

I think those decaled plates are made of Warmaster bases. Which would make at least 6 different base *sizes* on that model :psyduck:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The legs have cavalry and modern bike bases on them, and there's a 40mm square on his "shield" arm, but that's all I could spot at a glance. It's still loving baffling though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Look, some worlds just make do what what we have, okay? Not all of us can have your fancy pants manufactorums and knight lineage and taste.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This guy got his Chaos Dwarf army back from Blue Table Painting and after multiple revisions, the army still looks like garbage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06d7wMO4Cw
Didn't watch all 45 minutes of it, but he's getting level 4 models that cost nearly $17 each where BTP didn't paint the details (like straps and belts) and mostly just drybrushed the models, leaving primer visible, and no highlights in most models. Bonus creepy points since the guy uses stripper slave girls in his units.

E:
Level 6, just short of their "Golden Daemon" standard:

IE: Just airbrushing the legs red and not picking out any of the details hanging off the models. What a shitshow.

Also there's the added bonus of Blue Table Painting trying to defend themselves in the comments and just getting eviscerated.

SRM fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 9, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That's a good pic, now finish the pre-shading and start painting. Good early WIP.

...you aren't saying that's supposed to be a finished paintjob... right? :ohdear:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pierzak posted:

That's a good pic, now finish the pre-shading and start painting. Good early WIP.

...you aren't saying that's supposed to be a finished paintjob... right? :ohdear:

A $50 paintjob featuring airbrush over black primer.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

so bluetable is known for being poo poo right? I'm not exactly in the know but I seem to keep hearing things about them

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SRM posted:

A $50 paintjob featuring airbrush over black primer.
You know, I've seen "I have a tournament and need to paint a whole army to a simple yet nice tabletop level in a week" armies that looked waaay nicer than that and were done by a single amateur in a week of evenings and one whole weekend. What the gently caress.

...that reminds me, I gotta finish the commission for this weekend :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 9, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Dude used naked titty slaves as count's as hobgoblins. He got what he deserved.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

CyberLord XP posted:

Dude used naked titty slaves as count's as hobgoblins. He got what he deserved.

Yes.

Also, I am a bad painter but watching that video makes me feel a whole lot better about my skills. I should start charging $17.00 per month as I own an airbrush and can then do a quick drybrush.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I'm the paid painter that spends all day lovingly handling and detailing the tiny naked women then spending a few minutes dry brushing forgeworld before tossing it in a box.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Allow me to share something I found on the Privateer Press Skorne boards.

This is Morghoul, a Skorne warlock who's kind of an assassin type.

A guy on the Skorne boards apparently thought when starting out, that Morghoul was a woman.

quote:

To start I know that Morghoul is a male according to PP fluff. When I first started playing I did not realize this and it just kind of stuck.

So, he had a friend mod Morghoul for him.

quote:

A friend of mine modded the model and I have finally finished painting her....pink. I will take some pictures and see what i need to do to get her posted.

quote:

....i am talking he made her have DD's with a lot of cleavage.

Behold, the gamer way to emphasize womanhood: huge, mostly-bared breasts that look like plastic surgery done by the lowest bidder.

More at http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?211878-Female-Morghoul

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
At least they didn't model a vagina on it.

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

SRM posted:

This guy got his Chaos Dwarf army back from Blue Table Painting and after multiple revisions, the army still looks like garbage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06d7wMO4Cw
Didn't watch all 45 minutes of it, but he's getting level 4 models that cost nearly $17 each where BTP didn't paint the details (like straps and belts) and mostly just drybrushed the models, leaving primer visible, and no highlights in most models. Bonus creepy points since the guy uses stripper slave girls in his units.

E:

IE: Just airbrushing the legs red and not picking out any of the details hanging off the models. What a shitshow.

Also there's the added bonus of Blue Table Painting trying to defend themselves in the comments and just getting eviscerated.

I ended up sitting through that whole video in dumbfounded horror. My wallet weeps as I think to imagine the hundreds of dollars spent on that army, and the hundreds-- thousands?? more he tossed at Blue Table to have it painted to such a lazy, terrible standard. Level 4 = covering eyes with one hand, blindly waving the airbrush with the other? Man, if I was handed such nice, pricey models it would be physically impossible for me to not put every bit of TLC I could into 'em. Especially if I was being also handed tons of cash with them.

Super creepy how much work was put into the naked slavechick fillers/tokens compared to, well, the rest of the army. That poor Elemental of Fire.

How are these guys still doing business? How is it even legal for them to keep and sell and army if the customer is displeased and doesn't pay the last 35 percent? Just how?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

This is pretty much the standard Ghost Hand’s Eldar army got painted to. Except that guy picked out more of the details. And it cost less.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

This is pretty much the standard Ghost Hand’s Eldar army got painted to. Except that guy picked out more of the details. And it cost less.
And they actually look good. It's a very obviously airbrushed army, but it looks good to me, unlike this BTP garbage that claims to be their highest standard.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I knew BTP were lovely but this is something else. If they were operating in the UK they would be breaking the law with that poo poo. It is blatantly misleading advertising and a product not suited to the purpose. And if they tried to confiscate your goods they would be crucified.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SRM posted:

At least they didn't model a vagina on it.

Or did they?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Vermintide posted:

How are these guys still doing business? How is it even legal for them to keep and sell and army if the customer is displeased and doesn't pay the last 35 percent? Just how?

Blue Table Painting makes a commission-based painter like myself feel a mixture of pride ("heh my poo poo is SO much better than them") and horror ("oh god they get more business than I do despite painting like literal poo poo what the gently caress").

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I knew BTP were lovely but this is something else. If they were operating in the UK they would be breaking the law with that poo poo. It is blatantly misleading advertising and a product not suited to the purpose. And if they tried to confiscate your goods they would be crucified.

I think the best part is that slowly but surely, people are being warned about their poo poo paint jobs and questionable practices. Still too many clueless people out there giving these dipshits money though.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Vermintide posted:

I ended up sitting through that whole video in dumbfounded horror. My wallet weeps as I think to imagine the hundreds of dollars spent on that army, and the hundreds-- thousands??

Going on what he said for the cost of painting versus the cost of the models, I'd bet he paid upwards of $3k for that paintjob.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

TKIY posted:

Going on what he said for the cost of painting versus the cost of the models, I'd bet he paid upwards of $3k for that paintjob.

Those dwarves cost $500 alone.

Yknow, the dwarves with the black armor and the bit of red on their shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Was it Blue Table or someone else that was using actual sweat shop labor to do it's painting?