Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

StErN posted:

From the warmachine thread, so I can't take credit for finding it. Painting isn't bad, but why sculpt this:

:nws: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75492 :nws:

Did...did he sculpt a vagina onto that model?

AND WHY IS NO ONE IN THAT THREAD COMMENTING ON IT!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I honestly think some printed cutouts on stands would look better than those, and would cost a lot less.

Edit: for example, this looks great:

People like consistency, and though they might not be the same style as other minis on the board, it does add to the verisimilitude to have a whole scene built out with 3D minis.

Just picturing it in my head I would personally hate having all these cool player minis and then a couple paper standees, it just doesn't have the same feel when they're combined in that way. I do the same thing with paper tokens and player minis (back when I played in person) and it's good for getting the point across but it's just not as fun or cool to look at. For that reason I can see people buying very ultra-basic minis that have the profile of certain archetypes (innkeepers, blacksmiths, etc), but I would only go for them if they were much cheaper than what I can find online. Amazon in particular has bundles of basic-looking minis for a pretty good deal if you go by price per model, with similar details to the ones shown in that kickstarter.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 23, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

goatface posted:

I used to use whatever random junk was at hand along with scrawls on a wipe clean mat.

But that's not fun to look at! Honestly there's something special about the look on people's faces (particularly people who aren't really involved in miniature games) when you set up a scene with a ton of painted minis.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/...web2x&context=3

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Aniodia posted:

It seems the guy has only posted a reddit gallery, but there's some real neat poo poo in here.

it astounds me that people will spend this much effort making something awesome but then not spend the extra 20 minutes to clean mold lines and drill gun barrels

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

halfling vampire gets a good chuckle out of me

Ted Cruz in miniature form

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

https://www.instagram.com/muddybrushpainting/?hl=en

I don't know where this falls under the bad taste category.

The dude is white as hell from his picture but like, who knows what his background is.

So while I'm not entirely sure it's cultural appropriation, it sure feels like cultural appropriation.

honestly I like the aesthetic he's going for, it definitely looks cool as hell, but the red skin is in bad taste. I can see that it's supposed to be paint, but it still is a bit sus.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

them and AK do some weird-rear end poo poo

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The wet palette I bought is much better than the one I made using Tupperware and paper towels. It’s also much wider, giving me more room to spread my paints around in.

Sometimes purpose-built tools are worth the money. If you don’t want one, that’s cool. If you do, that’s cool too.

I don’t recommend the branded palette sheets tho. In my experience they’re too thick and expensive. Just get white parchment paper and take 5 minutes cutting out plenty of sheets.

The people who are weird tho are the staunchly anti-airbrush people. I saw some people arguing online about how airbrushes are too expensive, cheating, or how they would turn off painting videos that feature airbrushes (even if they’re just used to prime/base coat).

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 22, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

What if we made a model for Baba Yaga, but she was sexy and had big-rear end titties?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp-qgaFNh62/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

https://www.manticgames.com/news/firefight-pre-orders-double-reward-points/

“We have warhammer at home”

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

that first tyranid from the video earlier with the Rice Krispies glued on looks quite bad. The extra stuff doesn’t add anything to the model, it just seems like an extra step for the sake of an extra step.

I’ve seen other videos that just use sprue goo and texture paint and those always look much better and more organic, and they’re way less troublesome to use

Also leaving your wife after she gave birth to your twins is a major dirtbag move lol so gently caress that guy

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

TheBigAristotle posted:

Also his techniques and tips are poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-l_QP9kvog

First you take a perfectly acceptable paintjob:

Then you smear watery ketchup all over it

I don't think it looks terrible. I bet from tabletop distance it looks fine and probably better than just the flat yellow.

I also don't agree that his tips/techniques are that bad. He does stray into some questionable design decisions, he's a clumsy painter for sure, and definitely not the strongest technique-wise or end result-wise, especially in comparison to the other creators in his sphere.

edit: oh I didn't see the video, just the yellow terminators. Yeah, that's very bad. I understand the idea he's going for, but woof.

Every time they try to do something with mixed media it ends up looking quite bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1KUtn3zIgk

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I wouldn't scoff at any of those nids if they were just, like, some random guy's minis. Some of them are even kinda regular-guy-mini cool--I kinda like the pink decorator crab look. But that's different from "let me teach you my ways" good.

It just goes to show that you don't actually have to be good at a specific hobby to get a large fanbase, you just have to be good at narrating and editing.