Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There's a huge thread on Dakka of users' best conversions. Most are impressive, but some are decidedly better than others:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I think the two Marines trump the Dark Souls Marine from earlier.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I want this picture to be the thread title.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone else remember the Skull Rhino convoy or the Giant Skull and Giant Pumpkin dreadnoughts?
This one?

It's right up there with the Hello Kitty Dreadnought:

I'm pretty sure I saw that Hello Kitty one when I still posted on Bolter and Chainsword in like 2007.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I remember stumbling across the Fighting Tigers of Veda when I was new to this hobby and even then I thought it was weird at best and hideous at worst. That being said, it fills me with a certain familiar warmth to still see those models popping up, painted no better than they were like a decade ago.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Putting the "Ughhh" in "WAAAAUGGGHH"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

YF19pilot posted:

Pretty sure someone at my old college gaming group did that. That reminds me, I still have pictures of the "Rhinestone Tauboy" skimmer somewhere that I need to dig up. I remember it getting special feature for a while on that SA spin-off 40k forum that I don't even know if it exists anymore.

Unfortunately Eternity of War doesn't exist anymore.

I have a similar college gaming story. I played a Necron player who agreed to an 1850 point game. He brings out an army that for the most part is pretty standard, until he brings out his second Monolith. It isn't actually a Monolith, but a collection of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards taped together in a vague silhouette of a Monolith. I said we should play a 1600 point game instead.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

This guy sounds cool tbh.
He liked going to anime conventions because he'd get to take pictures of girls and "sometimes see their cooters" to use his words. I don't exactly miss playing against him.

SRM fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 5, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Nothing says "unleashing psychic might" like a bunch of goopy Space Marine helmets coming out of a Librarian's back:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They tended not to paint anything.
That's why the one guy in my group who has any Warmahordes stuff doesn't play. It's kind of universal in that scene.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Let it ride :pervert:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It looks like an attempted Legion of the Damned dealie.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think it needs to go back in the oven for a while.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This was on eBay as a "Riptide"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
More good eBay finds:
A "well painted dreadnought"

A Tyranid Prime with two heads:

AHHHH

A Wave Serpent, featuring wood and a plastic spoon:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
A Land Raider with a working smokestack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lreodxugCq0
And extra reasons that take it from ridiculous to horrible:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I -think- this is supposed to be a Knight. I'm counting at least three different bases involved on this model:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The legs have cavalry and modern bike bases on them, and there's a 40mm square on his "shield" arm, but that's all I could spot at a glance. It's still loving baffling though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This guy got his Chaos Dwarf army back from Blue Table Painting and after multiple revisions, the army still looks like garbage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06d7wMO4Cw
Didn't watch all 45 minutes of it, but he's getting level 4 models that cost nearly $17 each where BTP didn't paint the details (like straps and belts) and mostly just drybrushed the models, leaving primer visible, and no highlights in most models. Bonus creepy points since the guy uses stripper slave girls in his units.

E:
Level 6, just short of their "Golden Daemon" standard:

IE: Just airbrushing the legs red and not picking out any of the details hanging off the models. What a shitshow.

Also there's the added bonus of Blue Table Painting trying to defend themselves in the comments and just getting eviscerated.

SRM fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 9, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pierzak posted:

That's a good pic, now finish the pre-shading and start painting. Good early WIP.

...you aren't saying that's supposed to be a finished paintjob... right? :ohdear:

A $50 paintjob featuring airbrush over black primer.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
At least they didn't model a vagina on it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

This is pretty much the standard Ghost Hand’s Eldar army got painted to. Except that guy picked out more of the details. And it cost less.
And they actually look good. It's a very obviously airbrushed army, but it looks good to me, unlike this BTP garbage that claims to be their highest standard.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Weeeeee

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Don't forget the backwards smokestack!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There's some... interesting Blood Pact stuff on eBay:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think it was something like 14 bucks per dude in the infantry squads and $250 for the centerpiece monstrous creature stuff. That's what I remember from his thread on Dakka and the first vid is all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

That's insane. It's more than I charge for my services for what is my standard tabletop-ready level of painting.
Yeah, and your poo poo actually looks really good. People are willing to pay a lot for the brand for whatever reason.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I love the goopy smiley face on the axe.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

No Pun Intended posted:

Honestly I can't see why they even bothered with a top; it's not like the one she has leaves much to the imagination.
Kingdom Death models are known for their restraint and good taste, you see.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Kingdom Death: A world of gothic horror and big booty anime girls.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

obvious high point is 'i fixed where the glue spread a bit to the panties'

how do you write that about a loving miniature and not shoot yourself
A crippling lack of self-awareness.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I vaguely remember those Rhinos in a guy's pre-Heresy Space Wolves army on Bolter and Chainsword in like 2007.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Drake_263 posted:

Edit, speaking of nerds ruining everyhting.

These are actually old GW models though. I don't know if there were ever studio paintjobs or if they painted them assless back then either

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This Mega Armored Nob model basically has trucknutz but they're skulls:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It doesn't surprise me that someone at Kingdom Death would think Satan is a woman.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Comments have already been deleted :laffo:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They haven't though? :confused: I'm looking at that specific one that Indolent Bastard quoted right now, along with a few others:

poo poo, they weren't displaying for me so I figured they'd been deleting them. Good to know!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You paint in a really, really dark grey and shade with black for one, and for white you just paint in a really, really light grey or bone and highlight with pure white.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I need more screaming sound effects from Dawn of War.

Also, I love making GBS threads on BTP, but lets get down to what this thread is all about :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

I keep thinking there's got to be a way to redeem the Megamerican Marines concept by just painting them better. I imagine that I will try this at some point and weep for what I have done.

I feel like once you start including obvious modern military or national themes into armies, they lose any chance they had of fitting into the setting and they tend to become really, really tacky. This goes for Megamerica Marines to Nazi Marines to Brazillian Marines. There are some cases where you can get away with stuff like that in armies with an obvious historical bent, like certain Imperial Guard regiments though. That being said, I'd love to see well painted Megamerica Marines just because it would be hilarious.