Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The IG are all pretty heavily influenced by historical figs since they're the "army guys" and they're sculpted by the Perry brothers, who have a great line of historicals and do reenactments and stuff. The Valhallans are super obviously WW2 Russians (mine are painted this way) while the Steel Legion look like German paratroopers from WW2. Tallarn are supposed to be like Desert Rats, Catachans like Rambo, the old Cadians like modern military, and Mordians look like Marine corps dress uniforms. The slightly modified Praetorian models were based off Age of Imperialism uniforms - they were made for a scenario called "Ork's Drift" for gently caress's sake! Vostroyans are like steampunk cossacks, and Death Korps are based on WW1 French and German forces. Elysians are also based on modern military guys, at least much moreso than Cadians are at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Genghis Cohen posted:

I found that guy's conversions and followed his rough guide.

His still looks better. Balls.

Instead of a loving rad tank you have a kickin' rad tank. Yours are dope.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moto42 posted:

This actually took me a minute to notice. I was like, "Ok, no blobs of paint, the highlights and details don't look randomly applied. I don't see what the prob... oh."
That's the problem with Nazi-themed 40k stuff; they tend to be really well painted.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I grew up playing historicals with my dad. He has no problem running really any army in any setting, whether it's Imperial Guard in 40k, Romans, Nazis, Polish, whatever. I never saw it as a big issue unless you start getting a little too into it and bringing your weird ideologies into other games where they don't belong. That being said, most of the Jewish guys he met playing WW2 games were playing SS and panzer korps armies so who the gently caress knows.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Post 9-11 User posted this in the 40k thread:

I checked the linked DeviantArt and it's pictures of him crossplaying as someone from Evangelion and My Little Pony photos.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This Rhino is converted from a hard drive for some reason.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here's a counts-as Contemptor that just looks like a rejected Battletech design:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Most things in this thread weren't painted by goons; they're weird finds from other forums and eBay and such.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
A guy on Dakka, for whatever reason, has enlisted Blue Table Painting after the recent debacle to "show what they're really like!" and white knight the gently caress out of them:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/622435.page

Results are... ehhhhhhhh

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
And the cloak on Cypher hrrrrrk

Half this stuff just looks like it was washed with an airbrush and left at that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

raverrn posted:

Ma...maybe the wash will make it better?

Nothing will wash away the shame.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I did commissions for a while in college. I put out projects at a pretty okay tabletop standard but absolutely everybody wanted something for free. It got to the point where I was painting for about $3/model when I just said gently caress it and walked away. I'll paint things as gifts or things for friends, but ugh, not commissions, not again.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He paid £460 for that? What the gently caress? And he's happy? gently caress me!
Too late, he's the one who got hosed :smith:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400828520743?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

quote:

PLEASE READ BEFORE BIDDING:
USA ONLY
SHIPPING IS: 10.05
PAYPAL ONLY
DO NOT bid if you DO NOT PAY

you are bidding on a 1/2 sized replica of the "Animum Malorium" from warhammer 40k legion of the damned Sgt. Centurius.

He carries the Animum Malorium, an ancient relic in the shape of a skull that can suck souls from its target and then resurrect a fellow Legion of the Damned member

hand painted in detail by BADMOON STUDIOS"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I guess "small skull" wouldn't do it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special all the way through without Rifftrax.

Turned that video off after 15 seconds.
Watching the Star Wars Holiday Special sober was one of the most harrowing nights of my life. I got 34 seconds into that MWG video. Their "banter batreps" are absolutely miserable; it's usually one guy just making really bad forced jokes endlessly while their opponent stonewalls them or makes really half-hearted attempts at playing along. My favorite was one where there were also a bunch of 12-14 year olds in the room and they were just looking lost and uncomfortable whenever he'd focus the camera on them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's an enthusiastic conversion, I'll give it that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That looks like a hellish version of something that would be on a graphics card package circa 1998.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Sprue inventions sure are something.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pierzak posted:

Of course it was described as:

(I admit I took some liberties with formatting, but SA doesn't like font sizes/colors :v:)

This is what models I get from eBay look like after I've put them through the Simple Green bath once.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ugly John posted:

it's a brother vinni. There's a whole line of 'victim girls' (yes, that's the actual name) you can peruse if you want to hate the world just a little bit more.

It sucks because he's actually a really awesome sculptor and makes some fantastic not-Fallout models, but all that stuff is so intensely creepy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's more like a tiny naked woman with a mohawk.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

quote:

This is my WIP Scratch Built Dreadnought. This should be done by the end of today, so please be patient. I also want P&M advice. Please do not honeycoat. I can live with someone hating this model, it would be harder to live with the fact that no one's giving me advice. Please give advice.

PS I realise you can not see the head of the Dreadnought. This will be corrected with the finished image.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've found the more someone uses "custom" as opposed to "conversion" the worse painter/modeler they tend to be.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I got this Rhino from eBay years and years and years ago, only to find it was a notable wreck:

Those wire coils are actually kinda sharp and I'm glad I'm up on my tetanus shots.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Felime posted:

Yeah, I mean they're goofy and not amazing sculpts, but it's not like they're worse than what GW started with.
Yeah, they're not bad for something that was sculpted 30 years ago.

I think the detail looks incredibly soft and the figures look pretty amateurish, but that's just me. Brother Vinni (his cheesecakey models have come up here plenty times, but he's actually very skilled) had some excellent Mutons for a while but they're gone now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ineptmule posted:

I'm so annoyed I didn't buy a Brother Vinni Muton when I first saw it. Painted up, it would have been such a rad gift for my friend. But I waited and then it went away - presumably for legal reasons.
I want to grab some of his "totally not Fallout, you guys" minis for the same reason, but I don't know what I'd actually do with em aside from display them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an actual Marine in what is an exemplary disguise.

It's actually one of those Sideshow Space Marine statues, which go for upwards of $100 on eBay right now. Either he's had that Marine around for a while, or he spent a lot of money on Fort Skullderoga there.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I use that dude's not-Obliterators. They're legit models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
eBay listing for those interested:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORGEWORLD-PRIMARCH-IRON-HANDS-HORUS-HERESY-FERRUS-MANUS-WELL-PAINTED-L-/381221280874

If someone makes a sequel to THIN YOUR PAINTS this better be in it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, but now he's just a dude standing awkwardly and screaming, like he's upset that he dropped his ice cream cone.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Looks more like Malalcadamia nut to me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I shoot up old hexpot Citadel Colour paints intravenously. It's the only way I can feel anything anymore.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Baron Snow posted:

I have that issue of White Dwarf somewhere. It came with a record.
Was it the Bolt Thrower flexi record? I saw a girl wearing a Bolt Thrower: Realm of Chaos shirt while I was waiting for the bus and I'm pretty sure she's my "one who got away".

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

spectralent posted:

I like the light details, those are pretty cool at least.
I absolutely hate those airbrushed light details. They look really hokey to me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Holy poo poo someone has made a miniature based on a John Blanche drawing. That is loving fantastic.

It's from the Femme Militant line of minis. They were Inquisitor-scale, made around the mid 2000s, and loving impossible to track down. Jes Goodwin sculpted some of them. You can see some of them here: http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Femme_Militant_-_Unreleased

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Would you believe these are all by the same guy who made everyone's favorite scrunt?

Also Moola why haven't you made your own scrunts yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Look at the originals, there obviously wasn't that much effort involved