Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm going with "there was a poundland in walking distance of the venue"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

goatface posted:

What with the hyper-muscles and inches-thick power-armour there's just too much in the way to stand with your legs together. Unless they've got bowed legs.

Naked space marines all look like giant toddlers with rickets.

People always bring this up as a criticism, see: all the tracing of "look at how insane this dude would look inside this armor" people do on SM. But, like, that poo poo is canon. Marines are supposed to look like horrible deformed gorilla men outside of their armor. They have an entire system of sub-dermal armored plates and an entire set of extra organs, they gonna look hella hosed up. GW has done some dumb poo poo, but the whole "the purity of the human race is being defended by horrifying steroid fueled murder experiments" was a very intentional thing born out of that old GW late 80's British comic aesthetic.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The greatest librarian.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Irate Tree posted:

They're trying to take on the Korean power house that is StarCraft2, obviously. :v:

Lol, even Blizz is giving up on SC2 and re-releasing Brood War.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fathis Munk posted:

Well compared to some of the other stuff in this thread. We don't see any lovingly rendered butt holes or labia and the boobs are even censored!

Look in your heart of hearts, even though you mercifully can't see them in the image you know they're there.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

if it is that dude has spent a huge amount of time and money on an army made of parodies

It's like when 4chan created their own Space Marine chapter as a parody of dumb marine chapters and all the stupid cooldude fascist killman fanatics on places like B&S. And then of course the years went by and 4chan slipped from being libertarian leaning far left anarchist to libertarian leaning alt right douchebags and the irony slipped away completely and now places like /tg/ are full of people un-ironically flopping around their huge boners for fascism.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ugleb posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a painting God myself. I'm not going to disparage anyone's attempts at painting their own stuff as they are at least attempting to put their stamp on their minis even if the result is amateur level. I appreciate that they made an effort and that's cool.

I just don't see the appeal of buying something that looks so drat ugly out of the box when they probably paid a premium for it to look like that.

Speaking as someone who's done a fair amount of commission painting, it's because painting things in a clean and quick style is a totally different set of skills than what is normally taught as mini painting. It's a huge problem that's basically a scourge on the miniatures hobby. It's like if you, I dunno, wanted to pick up watercolors as a hobby and tried to learn how to do it using only tutorials about impressionist oil painting.

Basically if you want to pick up "basic" painting and not the sort of poo poo that leads to studio figures the following techniques are the MOST important (in this order):

-Color/Piece composition: Choosing what colors you're painting and where they go is more important than literally any other skill.
-Color area definition: Making sure that all your pieces are extremely segregated when it comes to color application, not placing similar colors next to each other, making sure you have deep yet soft shadows between everything, etc
-Using washes and dips: straight up army painter, secret weapon and minwax is what you need.
-Layering and highlighting: you should be doing Basecoat, highlight layer, wash, re-highlight. That's it, don't gently caress with anything else.
-Every other painting technique.

Basically if you want to paint stuff fast and good, invest in dip and matte varnish. Dipping looks like rear end without the matte varnish layer, but once you matte it produces extremely good results. The key to success with dipping lays almost entirely in color composition and so that should be the MOST important step of speed painting.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Len posted:

It's pretty rough but I'm trying to dip my toes back into the miniature hobby. Here's my first attempt at making some terrain.

http://imgur.com/a/O1fyU

Long term I'd like to build a Frostgrave table and talk my friends into playing a campaign.

Get cereal box cardboard, some old magic cards and some scissors. You can do pretty decent results by just covering cardboard with cardstock and other cardboard. Slats and tiling are your friend.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
About maybe twelve or thirteen years ago a guy I knew did a really impressive board for a game store (that has now since closed, RIP) that commissioned him that was entirely made of cardboard. He built everything out of super simple shapes and polygons and then painted it black with bright blue, red or white lines along the edges TRON/vector graphics style. Very cheap, very effective and evocative and also very unique and eye catching.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's basically how they did the wireframe New York in Escape From New York.

This is actually what inspired him to build that. Unfortunately stuff like glow in the dark paints, EL wire, and piped lighting were still really expensive and not widely available back in like 2003. Although it probably would have looked good under a blacklight.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fathis Munk posted:

Looks like their brilliant stratagem worked in that case. You have been bested by ork cunning.

*kunning

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SRM posted:

Whoah, even Duncan Rhodes had to thin his paints at one point:

Source: http://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/14/my-first-model-part-1-our-own-duncan-rhodes/

I actually have a casual project I work on occasionally where I buy terribly painted space marines off of ebay, paint strip them, and then repaint them in the original color scheme only good.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
KD feels like someone read Berserk and really really missed the entire point of the extreme body horror/sexuality stuff in Berserk. Like, Berserk is a great comic, it's probably the closest a comic book (and I mean comics in general, not manga as a subset) will ever come to something like Moby Dick, but all the HR Giger style TnA in it is there for a specific reason. You're supposed to feel supremely uncomfortable when viewing it, it's there to communicate the brutal inhuman horrors of a world that's falling apart in the wake of an attack by demons crossed with the end of the Crusades and the black death. It's kind of like the nurses in Silent Hill, they're supposed to make you feel a little bit turned on but then also feel disgusted at yourself for feeling that way, a deliberate perversion and twisting of sexual tropes if you will.

Kingdom Death looks at all these things and what it takes away is "dark fantasy where people are desperately trying to survive against insurmountable odds is way cooler if WE GOT DEM TITTTTTTTAYYYYYYYYZZZZZZ!"

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

While I'm all for proxying and scratchbuilding, sometimes it goes too far.

Would it kill you to have some uniformity between dudes aside from the color? Why did you by the literally ugliest bitz?

"Medicae orderlies"

Sentinels

It's probably the shittiest well painted army I have ever seen.

See it in action

If you're going to post stuff like this, which is legit good and well done, you better be able to nut up and post your actual work so we can tear it down.

Ugleb posted:

Bottom right corner, is that guy running or in the middle of a one armed gun show?

It's the grenade holding arm from the old Catachan sprue. These pics are a great example of why you should matte varnish your minis, they would be totally acceptable TTQ in a slightly old school paint job but the gloss varnish is loving them up real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
More importantly I question the effectiveness of both putting your pistols halfway down your massive hips and also in crossdraw. I'm imagining she has to pop some kind of crabwalk squat to draw her guns.