Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

It's as confirmed as GW gets, which is to say that the company won't say anything until the product actually comes out, or maybe a couple days before that. It's the usual rumormonger sites reporting it at this point. I'd personally put a lot more faith in this if they hadn't said that the same thing was supposed to happen back in May.

There have however, been sprues shown with models in Heresy armor, so it's either legit or very much an elaborate hoax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Please set this to Brodyquest music.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

Did you ever get a bunch of Army Men when you were a kid and have them fight on the stovetop, only to slip and turn a burner on? Yeah.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Soulfucker posted:

Wow these are a lot of words and not posting bad models:

So start posting bad models and not great ones.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

AWAKEN, MY MASTERS!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

They very clearly angle outward.

The hurricane bolters on the model itself can physically move forward that close though, and rules-wise they have a 180 degree firing arc.

It's poorly designed, like a lot of the more recent SM stuff.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

You can't just drop those pictures and not tell us where it's from.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

goonicons.jpg

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

They had a few models that bordered on okay. Their wheeled Chimera conversion kit looked pretty decent. They were starting to get semi okay but then the whole lawsuit thing buried them.

The conversion beamer they used to sell was pretty good.

That was about the only thing I liked, and they stopped selling that a couple years ago.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I remember thinking the original demon designs for Tzeentch were dumb as a kid:

Hell naw, those look amazing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

I unironically miss a lot of the mid to late 90s and early 2000s GW sculpts. Like, technically, no, they're not as good as the ones they have now, but there was a certain vibe they gave off back them. I still love looking at the dioramas and battle pictures in the 5th edition WHFB books. I recognize this is almost certainly due to nostalgia and if I was coming into the wargaming hobby with fresh new eyes, I'd think differently.

6th edition WHFB chaos hit the nail on the head in terms of design and aesthetic, so I feel you on that. It was the right balance of detail and empty space, busy where it needed to be but not overflowing with a billion skulls and awful proportions.

Except the plastic warriors around that time. Awful sculpts and terrible to try and rank up.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Tommofork posted:

The ones with a front piece, a back piece and two ball sockets for arms? I kinda liked the stolid, menacing "we're advancing and there is jack poo poo you can do" vibe from their static pose. But yeah ranking them was insanely bad.

No, those are pretty fine to rank up. What I meant was...

Safety Factor posted:

Those hunchbacked fuckers that came before them? They were awful.

Those. They were still current when the Hordes of Chaos book came out back in 6th; it wasn't until some time in 7th iirc that they got replaced by the ball-socket ones.

Imagine trying to make sense of THIS clusterfuck:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

I love those Chaos Warriors. Never owned any, so I don't know about the ranking issues, but I had the same problems with my old school 5th ed Clanrats with the separate tails that always got in the way. Still love those little fuckers, though.

They definitely got the more baroque elements of chaos down with those guys, but they were so awful to rank up that I ended up just using them for bitz on other models.

spectralent posted:

Ball-and-socket Chaos Warriors were released for Storm of Chaos in 6th, when Archaon tried to invade the Empire. I remember it really well since it was the last major fantasy event I played in. I couldn't afford to get the rulebooks for 7th :shobon:

I stand corrected!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like the lonely drop of red on the back of the sword.

Miraculous conception my rear end.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

spectralent posted:

Unspiration because you know you're never going to be that good :smith:

The 'wow' factor comes in because of the lighting in every single model. Paint job-wise it's nothing special. You could learn how to wire the LEDs in there and do the clear resin casting pretty easily, since there's a whole bunch of tutorials out there for that.

Note that I'm not knocking the army or anything, it's clear the guy put in a ton of effort into making a really eye-catching and impressive army. It's just a lot easier to do than you think.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Maybe it's the uncanny Valley, maybe it's the clear sexualisation. Maybe it's both.

Maybe it's Maybelline.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Yeah it's one of the old familiars.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

(with walking book being the best)

Ahem.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The Melta Ogre is mechanicus as poo poo.

None of that is actively bad; the Volus Tuck is a little unskilled, but I think it's unfair to put it in this thread.

Aside from the layer of dust on the models they all look pretty good for a scratch-built army. The painting could be better, but all in all it's a pretty unique army.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I'm reminded of one guy on IRC who wanted me to paint a model for him.

It was the pregnant angel lady from Kingdom Death, only he wanted me to scrape off the gut-armor and smooth it out so she looked MORE pregnant.

Needless to say, I didn't take him up on the offer. No amount of money was worth painting...that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Failing that you could just paint it like a black bodysuit.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

This is actually pretty great.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

How about those awful face sculpts.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I love it :allears:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

I may just be talking out of my rear end but I've also noticed that a lot of stuff considered "outsider art" is not just by people with no real training but people who seem to avoid (probably unintentionally, due to lack of understanding) using traditional techniques and create really weird stuff that somehow works anyway (the "somehow works" part being important).

It's basically modern Dadaism.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I'm the screaming kneepads.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

This is the best thing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Electric Hobo posted:

Nightstalker Doppelgangers. Appearantly.

This rules.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Amazing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

glitchkrieg posted:

TRIM YOUR MOULD LINES

With the failure of his latest title, Duke Nukem resorts to weight-lifting advertisements to make ends meet.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is actually what inspired him to build that. Unfortunately stuff like glow in the dark paints, EL wire, and piped lighting were still really expensive and not widely available back in like 2003. Although it probably would have looked good under a blacklight.

With nerds visiting the store? Yeah uh, probably really interesting results there :stare:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Finally, an accurate representation of a typical SA goon.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So did they actually make a new Cypher model?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

I still think you should thin your paints a little.

ED:
Meanwhile, at Mantic HQ:

Good enough, boys!

Someone shop a turn-table under her hand.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Warboot posted:

These are actually kinda neat looking

Yeah I actually kind of like those. They're just about the right level of unsettling.

Too bad they couldn't be so restrained on the rest of their models.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hasslefree keepin' it real.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

At least they'd be able to make it to base contact with the enemy?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Chill la Chill?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

There's a plethora of amazing Scrunts right here.