Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Is it cheating to use miniatures that you've painted? Probably!

Do not use only a 1 brush to paint your miniature.

Maybe buy more than five colors of paint?

This one's okay, but the look on his face is like something out of a nightmare. "And after the Inquisitor gets through with you, I GET YOU ALL NIGHT TO MYSELF!"

This was before the invention of color, so this whole miniature was painted in black and white and only became color later.

DRYBRUSHING IS NOT BLENDING

"You shuldna done that ter the C'tan, he just a boy."

I literally did not know that matte varnish was a thing until around 2008, at which point miniatures like this suddenly started looking good and not so much like they just walked through a giant snail trail.

Happy ending: I got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
The Faceless Horror, from Reaper. Also available in Bones form.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

JcDent posted:

A few days ago, one guy on FoW FB page posted something about feeling "uncomfortable" about playing WWII Germans. I managed to refrain from calling him a few choice words I learned during my tenure on 4Chan, but only barely so. I'd say this kind of sentiment is no less absurd than atheist not playing DnD because there are gods or a Christrian not playing DnD because there a gods (instead of God).

I think that it's entirely understandable to be uncomfortable about playing Germans in World War II games, and I don't see the linkage between religion in a fantasy world and an actual army that supported a fascist, racist ideology that cost million of lives.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think people uncomfortable with playing Germans in a WW2 game are just as stupid and weird as the ones who will only play Germans. If you cannot divorce the aesthetics of miniatures from the human tragedy of the concentration camps then you have the emotional development of a child.

"...and that's turn six, game. Alright, the German side won! I wonder what happens next?"

"Well, I guess they'll probably filter out all of the Jews, shoot them in a ditch outside of town, burn the place down and throw some bodies down the well so that the advancing Russian hordes can't use them."

"...yaaaaaayyy..."

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Here's how not to take a picture of a miniature:

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

It's reasonably well-lit, and it's in focus, making it better than 90% of the miniature photographs I've seen. What's wrong with it, besides the passable paint job?

The purple background clashes with the model and is far too busy, there's so much direct light on the model that the highlights on the tabard are blown out, the head blends in with the backpack, and you can't see the highlights that I laid down, which, agreed, makes it look passable.

Here - same model, white background, diffused light.

Cannibal Smiley fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

No Pun Intended posted:

What's the base model for the goon balloon?

Judge Dredd Fatties, I'm wagering.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/judge-dredd/fattie.html