Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Aren't all those tiger-striped marines supposed to be women?

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with that though. Women != XY

Esser-Z posted:

I've got no problem whatsoever with female marines. I do have a problem with the quality of the painting and modeling!

I just meant in terms of the story of "Brothers" Frankus and Terry.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll throw one of mine from the past.

10 year old me didn't have a desert brown, and a limited budget. Yellow is the colour of sand right?

Camoflauge for the Disco world!

That would be a good color scheme for Blood Bowl.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I actually think this one is fine, except the flames. The flames kind of make it less Imperial.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I usually add my own blood when building the model rather than painting it (because xacto knives are sharp).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They must feed their slaves pretty well to get that classic hourglass figure.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

With all the time and effort (and maybe lawyer money) that dude could've just painted them himself.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

SRM posted:

I feel like once you start including obvious modern military or national themes into armies, they lose any chance they had of fitting into the setting and they tend to become really, really tacky. This goes for Megamerica Marines to Nazi Marines to Brazillian Marines. There are some cases where you can get away with stuff like that in armies with an obvious historical bent, like certain Imperial Guard regiments though. That being said, I'd love to see well painted Megamerica Marines just because it would be hilarious.

I based my Imperial Guardsmen off of the IDF. I think it worked out okay, but I wasn't overly stupid with it. Mostly it was about TO&E, color schemes, and fun logos like this:

E: Ooh! A terribly painted Deathwatch marine I made that is totally relevant:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

But, Hitler ordered all the commissars to be shot on the spot! :spergin::hist101:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Browsing Pegaso Models will either make you super stoked to paint, or throw your brushes away forever.

Although even Pegaso has a lot of boob models....

E: Not just boobs, completely detailed anatomy in a large scale. They have a whole section called Pegaso Girls: http://www.pegasomodels.com/products_en.asp?idcat=7 :nws:

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 21, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I use "expensive" brushes for just about everything other than most basecoats and of course drybrushing. And drybrushing brushes tend to be my worn out "expensive" brushes.

rkajdi posted:

Series 7 is expensive as hell. though. You should be steering starters towards the $1.25 brushes, not the $15+ ones like Series 7. The 7s don't keep you within the lines any better that the 4 for $5 pack brushes do.

Well, they do, in that they don't fray so easily, so you don't get crazy wild lines.

Plus if you spend $15 on a brush, you're going to be nice and careful.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

JcDent posted:

In a semi related matter, boy, do historical mini businesses hate updating websites and painting their own merchandise...

It's been a point of contention in the Historicals thread many a time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Really enjoying the thought of sending holiday cards with that monstrosity as suggested at the bottom of the page.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

And IIiiiiiiiiiIIIiiii will always love yoooouuuuuu!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Make sure you've lit the candles on your armor before going in to battle, Brother Jedediah!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Because GW minis aren't expensive enough.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Pierzak posted:

Again, why is this in the bad models thread?

Because they didn't clean those mold lines!!!!!!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's called drybrushing, as in the brush ought to be dry. It doesn't work if it's full of paint.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ugly John posted:

it's a brother vinni. There's a whole line of 'victim girls' (yes, that's the actual name) you can peruse if you want to hate the world just a little bit more.

Wow.

The one in the middle of the banner on his site is a girl pinching her nipple and holding a machinegun. That's... something.

E: Ukrainian Slave Girl. What makes her Ukrainian? No idea.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Pierzak posted:

No, no, no! You can't just submit ideas willy-nilly, it'll fall apart immediately. We need a project coordinator. Now, who wants to be the leader? No, not me, my busy shitposting schedule doesn't allow time for cat hherding.

I'm an unemployed project manager, what salary are you offering?

Cat herding model painters can't be any harder than herding software developers.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/03/construction-review-masterbox-35157.html :nws:

This is a major company. Like, not Joe's Titty Model Shack and BBQ.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Topless Dwarf Trollslayer :nws:

Not hairy enough, though, so it fails.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Maybe she's really, really short?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ineptmule posted:

I own that mini. :saddowns: I wanted a more gender balanced pair of slayers for Mordheim. I flip-flopped on whether to get the one with the weird bandage bra-thing or topless and thought that a slayer would probably not give a poo poo about modesty.

However I've never even taken the mini out of its tiny baggie and it sits under a pile of other spurned and forgotten minis in a drawer.

There's my story.

Well now that you've admitted to your perversion, I think it's important you find it and paint it up for this thread.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

thespaceinvader posted:

Eh, I'm sure he's not actually wearing the rest of the armour and can just climb out of the inside.The hatch is purely decorative, the power armour is the actual viewport.

So he's like a newscaster? Professional-wear up top where people can see, boxer shorts and slippers below the desk?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Can't deny its orkiness, though

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Imperium of the Apes

It was Terra all along!

E: At the end, we see the Golden Throne half-buried in the beach

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

SRM posted:

Yeah, but now he's just a dude standing awkwardly and screaming, like he's upset that he dropped his ice cream cone.

Well, if ever there were a reason to lead an army on a campaign of destruction, it's dropping an ice cream cone.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ugleb posted:

Well he got the proportions right. By which I mean similar to GW.

No way, the sword and shield would be 3-4 times that size.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Tacopocalypse posted:

I see they found the STC for a stand-on lawnmower.

Or the old NES Bionic Commando badguys.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This has always been one of my favorites, and scrolling down reminded me why.

Here you see a pretty sweet door with a cool mural (inspired by St. George I imagine), and then you get top the bottom and realize how loving big the door really is.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

goatface posted:

It's hipster irony. Those guys are the eldar equivalent of wearing 18th century facial hair, 1930's clothes and riding a penny farthing.

The 18th century was mostly devoid of facial hair. :spergin:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Shadeoses posted:

:siren:DO NOT gently caress GOBLINS:siren:

But she promised to grant me a wish!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'd be okay with some "ladies and dudes who are comfortable with their weight" minis, but not in a military setting.

Some fat cowboy for Legends of the Old West? Hell yeah! (I have one, his name is Bobba Fat.) A fat infantryman? :getout:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sure, for a Red Dawn (or Jade Helm) scenario, but those guys aren't really the military. That was more my point.

Also I really want to run a Jade Helm uprising scenario with fat Texan morons now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The best 40k pic I've ever seen.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

On the other side of that wall is the Eldar rape scene

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

Commissars are Soviet, yo. Not literal Nazis.

Fictional Soviet commissars at that, as real commissars did not actually do that. It was propaganda the Nazis stated and after the war, the West had no reason to debunk it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Not a viking posted:

Yeah well I saw this documentary starring Jude Law that totally says that they did :colbert:

Yeah, the same on that says they didn't have enough Mosins to go around. It's totally accurate! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

JackMann posted:

Not entirely made up. But not nearly as common as the Nazis made out. Similar to how human waves were used a few times as desperation tactics in early parts of the war, but weren't common. Here's a discussion on the barrier troops.

Thanks for that. It's good to have sources I can turn to when people talk about this.

I'd also be curious if someone could point me to an army that didn't shoot cowards fleeing from battle and causing morale problems. Ideally, you round them up and charge them with desertion, but in the heat of a firefight, that's not always practical.

In my own research, there were just as many times when a commissar was punished alongside the officer he was with for falling back than the officer alone was.

I have that film. It's yet another history movie that, for some reason, had to have a romance subplot thrown in.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why yes this thread needs another derail, thanks

Any time.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 27, 2015