Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

JcDent posted:

GW wasn't ever good at writing rules. That said, now that I have free time, I might try out playing Rogue Trader The 1st Ed Of Hams.

Having only ever known WYSIWYG in 28mm, random generation of troop armament is just :psyduck:

Realm of Chaos, hero generation. Hope you enjoy several cascaded D100 tables and end up with a leprous, cross-eyed slug-weevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

edit: wrong thread :(

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 19, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Interesting, clearly based on the old Terminator prototype: http://www.johnlyntonbryan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/20150525_003544.jpg

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

The problem comes when they try to make a living off of it
As soon as your income relies on how many people view/subscribe/"hit that bell icon" it's no longer about making useful content it's about making the kind of content that the algorithm will get eyes on, and that means doing stupid poo poo and having an obnoxious on-screen persona.

I've been making videos about building my live steam large scale railway locomotive for about a year with a core group of viewers and not much growth, but a recent video went (proportionally) viral with 30k+ views within a week or so and I definitely felt this bizarre urge to cater to that feedback loop. I imagine it's easily done, moreso if you hit on something that grabs people's attention and then it's just a vicious cycle of who can be the most attention grabbing, the most extreme, the most ridicolous.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, combined with the current flame: when various contrast paint ranges appeared, or the zenithal/slapchop thing, blanchitsu, Leviathan-related content, etc. - it's all just so tiring. I think my pet hate is something like 'THEY didn't want you to know THIS!', or 'SECRET method for BEST paintjobs' - it's maddening.

I actually enjoyed MWM's stuff because he just used normal paint names (i.e. 'warm red', not 'soulblood hexwraith incarmine') and showed his progression of highlights typically adding white or yellow to the colours. His paintjobs were achievable and the result nice, and his audio and visual quality was pretty good too. It's the natural cycle of things like this to fall apart, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Nothing at all against the modeller, this to me is a typical example of the unreadability of modern sculpts: