Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
That land raider is terrible but if you don't think that skull fortress with heavy bolters for eyes is the raddest most 40k thing you've ever seen I don't know what you're doing in this hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Colonial Air Force posted:

I just meant in terms of the story of "Brothers" Frankus and Terry.

Seriously Moola, get your poorly painted marine fanfic genders right.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Found a nice SW Dreadnought conversion on ebay, if anyone wanted to make a bid....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-Space-Wolves-Dreadnought-Conversion-/221544122294?pt=Games_US&hash=item33950f07b6

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

TKIY posted:

Going on what he said for the cost of painting versus the cost of the models, I'd bet he paid upwards of $3k for that paintjob.

Those dwarves cost $500 alone.

Yknow, the dwarves with the black armor and the bit of red on their shoulders.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
I thought that was a random off topic picture.

http://gallery.kingdomdeath.com/Preacher-Advanced-Painting-Guide

Jesus

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

JcDent posted:

Does raise on question, tho: is it possible to make a sexy miniature without goons going pervs? I mean, is that available at least in theory? Is it one of the reasons why Slaanesh armies are focused on sound, the silliest of all things to have in excess (well, that and the roots in glam rock)? If you make them junkies, some mom will definitely claim that 40K is making her kid sniff glue.

Also, whenever I see people arguing strongly against cheesecake (wait... is cheesecake the opposite of beefcake? MIND BLOWN) minis, I get the sudden urge to defend my territory against SJWs and such such. However, if left alone, I'll make fun of the ridiculous hentai armor and boobs gone wild... I am a very confused man

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry...

To be fair Slaanesh miniatures have depicted a wide variety of the "excess" concepts - there's the noise concept, but Slaanesh demons have breasts all over them, and the 30k Emperor's Children are very much aimed at the idea of perfection/elegance in their armor and poses and weapons and all that. And Dark Eldar have all kinds of drug related stuff, soo.

I'll stop complaining about cheesecake minis the moment Infinity puts out a line of male soldiers and pilots wearing tights with assless chaps and clearly visible bulges. Until that happens, I'll just have to settle for

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

JcDent posted:

No, no, no, no, no, no.

Reading comprehension, guys.

Every girl in anime is 18, you silly!
And you're ruling out the most likely culprit for kid like appearance: sheer incompetence at sculpting.

Or the fact that she's wearing a school uniform? She's a child, there's 0 ambiguity about it and I don't think the people who buy the model are disappointed by that fact.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That montage at the end is loving disappointing for a miniatures painting service. Most of those are at the level I would do for basic troopers (3-5 color palette, obvious drybrushing, heavy use of the "basecoat -> Wash -> Rehighlight" method) and I guarantee they are charging way more than I do. I charge cost of model for heroes and large pieces like chariots but for that level of painting I'd probably go half price on the big stuff like the Phoenix and Chariot.

There's just something about all the BTP painting that does the opposite of "pop". Everything just seems muted and kinda...I don't want to say messy, but a little off. I'm not a very good painter and my best paint jobs seem to be on about their level, which for a commissioned painting service is kinda gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Reset by Peer posted:

Point taken. But why would you want to model a summary execution by a firing squad anyway? Like, what kind of person goes: hey, you know what this hero space-fantasy battle game needs? Some realistic depictions of war atrocities.

Yeah, that's the real issue with it. There are all sorts of horrifying graphic details written in the fluff but what makes 40k palatable as a game and not a parade of horrors is that it's not visually depicted in the actual figures. Closest you get are like... rotting nurgle things, maybe.