Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm never going to unsee Space Marine boots as Uggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That Land Raider is sad because you can see a few spots where actual effort was applied. The yellow on the cupola and sponson sights looks pretty good, but then they switch to splashing airbrush.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jesus H Christ, Level 4 is $17/figure and that first unit is 30 dwarfs.

FFFffffuck. I feel really bad for that guy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'm still mystified how people are paying him like 15 bucks plus a model for basic troops when the industry standard is 5.

That "industry standard" either assumes sub-minimum wage or that the figures are totally done in 30 minutes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's pretty terrible. I know a girl who recently gave up on doing commissions. She did amazing work but refused to charge anywhere near what she was worth. I think the final straw was when an army she'd knocked herself out completing showed up back at her game store months later - with some Storage Wars type lot-buyers asking if it was worth anything.

I think that pricing standard comes from people unwilling to charge their "friends" or drastically under-valuing their time ("I'm compensated in fun!") but either way paying $5 for figure's worth of effort and skilled labor would be completely unacceptable anywhere outside of this damaged hobby.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The "fixed" one is basically what he asked for, with the bloodbath on the first rank of troops. I personally think it looks like rear end, but giving the client what he wants isn't something to fault them for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was genuinely mad at what he paid for that stuff.

And then more mad at what he paid to have it "painted".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I suspect that the Imperial Guard were originally envisioned as using modified historical figures from other companies, but then Games Workshop happened.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That poo poo pisses me right off, while at the same time I'm OK playing historical games that have actual model Nazis in them.

I've been trying to put my finger on why that is - I think it has a lot to do with the person's motivation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really don't think they're trolling. I think they're exalting brain-damaged misconceptions and are itching for the opportunity to start a dialogue about the clean Wehrmacht and how "Actually, both sides had heroes..." and really Stalin was the villain, and :godwin:

But the period is legitimately fascinating: It starts with horses and bolt-action rifles, and finishes with near-modern tanks and night-scoped assault rifles. It's full of real-life heroics and drama, a parade of examples of humanity at our best and worst. Of course it's compelling, and you can fill your brain with trivia that might eventually be relevant.

Sorry to steer things heavy for a minute. Here's a bunch of weird-rear end :nws: titty-scorpions:

http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal156.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal155.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal154.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal153.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal152.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal151.jpg

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm pretty sure they just do it once and cast molds of their conversion. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

"I'm not comfortable playing the Germans" reeks of hypocritical hand-wringing bullshit.

There is no legitimate way someone wouldn't want action figures of the assholes who shot his grandpa, no way at all no sir.

E: Gaming has a massive shortage of respect for others' boundaries and comfort levels. Going 4chan on someone because they're uncomfortable playing on team "literally threw millions of human beings into ovens" is not a sign that you're better-adjusted. Jesus.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 19, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You're dead right about the 40k imagery. A few weeks ago my wife asked why we own so much "Nazi poo poo" and I eventually worked out that she was talking about some Warhammer promo material I'd left upstairs.

That was awkward.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Historicals run the same quality spectrum as fantasy/sci-fi, with the advantage that most of the time your color choices are picked out for you.

You also see more terrible Warhams because the population is way bigger and much more internet savvy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fat skeletons are just weird. Add "robot" to that and here we are.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thinning your paints can be as simple as leaving your brush wet and mixing it in on your pallet.

If you have any clamshell-packed miniatures that came with foam (like Warmachine comes in), you're 90% of the way to having a wet pallet. Cut a square of baking paper to fit, wet the foam, and squish it into the blister with the baking paper.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's skating awfully close to helldumping, which isn't the thickest ice...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Helldump used to be a sub-forum devoted to reposting and ridiculing stupid poo poo goons said from within the forums. It actively made the site worse. Instead of the most toxic elements getting called out and refuted, they were passively-aggressively mocked behind their back in a sub-basement by a clique of mean girls.

Today it mostly refers to bringing in someone's out-of-thread comments. Quoting someone's AI posts with "Well look how dumb you are about cars!" in D&D, for example.

But making fun of someone (or their models, I guess) from the safety of a thread they likely aren't reading is just bad form.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Given their numerous examples online, it would be really hard to demonstrate that BTP sold you a sub-standard job when when their standard is such garbage.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I am still amazed that people don't hire for a handful of test figures before committing thousands of dollars and their whole army.

I mean, poo poo. That's like day one internet commerce.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Abaddon the Despoiler awoke after the Craigslist hookup, alone. Lady Lu was gone! And so was his stash, some Dave Matthews CD, all the change in the laundry jar, his cellphone, and the daemon sword Drach'nyen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There was a write-up in my Facebook feed about it, too. Probably got too much attention.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's definitely a tinboy as identified above. It would probably be worth quite a bit to the right collector, except someone converted it with a Lego.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks to Hail Caesar, I'll be painting a non-zero number of Celtic dicks in the near future. I feel like this balances the hobby, somehow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

And yet a guy could fit inside without breaking both his arms first...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Don't ask Grandpa about the poo poo he saw in the war.

JUST DON'T.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They were decorations on a DEldar character's battle barge.

The Sister of Battle is marginally redeemed by the fact that she's concealing a piece of shrapnel behind her back to shiv her way to freedom.

The other one is at least wearing a top (and isn't the LE exclusive nipples-out version.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've definitely seen topless ones, but those could have been conversions I guess.

E: I found some pictures of them in bare metal. I vaguely remember them being for sale at Games Day one year, but thinking they looked dumb as poo poo.

One sold on eBay for $62, so I probably should have bought ten of them.

moths fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 15, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was on board and thought this didn't belong in the Worst Thread until i noticed the prolapsed, poo poo-leaking colon. :stare:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

moths
Aug 25, 2004

JcDent posted:

From the studio that brought you the tactile squad, soviet, soviet and soviet,

To be fair, the Soviets are in 15mm.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That was the line that "digitally painted" (colorized) their online catalogue in a paint program.

I don't know why I remember that. I should have bought many when I had the chance.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Drawing a line somewhere in the middle of the tropes and saying 'this one does not belong', is just how you come at it.

The point you're missing is that the Infinity line is explicitly drawn between male and female characters.

It wouldn't be an issue if everyone was sexy and it was a game about hot future male, robot, and female strippers. It's casually assigning women sexy Halloween versions of the male uniforms that rubs folks the wrong way.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I posted a picture in the bad thread, but those robots are basically skull-having knockoffs of the old AT-43 assault medusae.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't pay any HALO after the first one, so I have no idea of these sex toys are actually indicative of a Covenant fleet:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Rosemary is a great genderswap Blade, though. They really got the Wesley Snipes pout right.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He's Inquisitor scale, and that jacket is two shoulderboards away from being the most inspirational comissar ever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Of course the Deadpool army was a commission. That's the kind of stupid you either pay someone else to execute or come to your senses ten minutes in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

FWIW some of the most priceless pieces were conspicuously absent from the ISIS museum smashing video. One theory is that the "best of" collection was flipped on the black market to pay for more guns, bombs, and video cameras.

There's an FBI warning issued about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

FW is working on the same thing, which might actually be a cheaper alternative.

But yeah, seriously find a 1/48 space shuttle crawler. Someone probably makes that thing.