Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

HiveCommander posted:

"a very well-known painting service that shall remain nameless. Let's just say they have a colour and a piece of furniture in their name"
Gee, I wonder who this is about :eyeroll:

the guy who had the chaos dwarf army actually posted a final update a few days back. The long and the short of it is, the only thing they kept on the table was an offer to take the army back and fix it up, which he refused because they failed to fix it about 4 times the first time, were late and he just didn't trust them anymore. So he's fixing it himself and putting the whole episode behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Daedleh posted:

No he's not. Another commission service has offered to bring the army up to spec.

ah OK, getting it fixed independent of BTP then I guess

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Hra Mormo posted:

Considering the guy having this all done uses nude models as counts-as slaves and tokens, I wouldn't be surprised if he also specifically requested something as juvenile as that.

he did ask for heavy blood splatter

and the slaves are loving nasty, I like to think that the original terrible paint job was due to a female project manager who took offense at them and made sure they were the only decent looking models just to spite him

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

PantsOptional posted:

I think you might be able to do them subtly. Like, instead of a hot mess of color schemes and a busy as hell shoulder pad, make them, I don't know, white bodied, with blue shoulder pads, gold chest eagle, and red shoulder pad rims like they were in the 3rd Company. Stick a white star on as Chapter symbol. Salute.

you gotta go hard one way or the other. Overblown Americana with stars and stripes, crying bald eagles and so on make for a great comedy army, like rainbow tyranids or whatever, or you go subtle and just use the basic coloursheme without overt references to reality.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

An Angry Bug posted:

gently caress it, expect a direct contribution to the thread later tonight.

I've never used anything other than water, and while my models aren't competition standard I like to think they're pretty decent. All you need to start painting is the model, some paints, a jar of water and one or two decent brushes, plus something to mix on (I've used everything from an old tile to plastic food container lids) and a bit of tissue to dry your brush on.

All this stuff with special thinners and ever-wet palettes and such is to help people who are in the top 5% of painters to get into the top 1% and beyond. It's certainly nicer, but if you've never painted before you probably won't even notice the difference.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 21, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I would totally build an army that was nothing but flying bases and mr potato head style pieces for the pilots and guns with pins in the back, specifically designed to accommodate a wide variety of foodstuffs. Think of the versatility, one day your war machine is a croissant, the next, a sweet potato, the following week it's a sausage

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know why anyone even does commission painting when the rates are horrible. Western society is now so used to getting cheap labor from China for amazing goods (those PS3s and iPhones should cost more were they produced here, company takes most of the profit on top of that, etc.) that we balk at paying $10/hour for painting services. I work at Uni doing nothing at all while studying for $10/hour and would never take a painting commission even though people have asked me. I tell them I probably take 5-10 hours on my models and like hell are they gonna pay me at least $100 for a single mini.

The rates that BTP is charging for minimum quality stuff should be the baseline. That people charge even less for better quality is insane. I just don't understand how people take up commissions that take tons of hours at less than minimum wage.

Some of them just work ridiculous hours to make ends meet.

The rest outsource it to countries with lower wages/illegals.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

That's basically how they did the original Terminator skeleton for the movie. Paint it with a copper paint solution (REALLY high in copper), then just electroplate it using the copper as the magnetic attractor. You probably could do it for tabletop necrons in a similar way.

I know in some of the terminator movies they use a spray on metal suspension called Alclad (or similar to it), which you can get from most good model stores. It's not quite chrome level, but it buffs up to a really shiny finish that's way better than regular metallic paints.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
did anyone rehost pictures of this legendary beast?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Scorpion tail and dragonish wings and this would make a really great Manticore

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

adamantium|wang posted:

:krad: color schemes you say?

I feel we need a parallel thread for "weird but awesome" paint jobs and conversions, these (and many others posted here) are way too awesome to be in the Unspiration thread

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Not a viking posted:

Elven centipede

that's not a centaur

THIS

is a centaur. Everyone knows the extra bodies go on the person part's arms, not the horse part's legs.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Moola posted:

im this dude

these are an actual product you can actually buy in a gallery gift shop. There are more

https://www.nationalgallery.co.uk/products/collectables?orderBy=&VIEW_SIZE=24&VIEW_INDEX=1

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Moola posted:

I mean just look at this talent

why??

That boy ain't right...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Moola posted:

he added mr potato head and army soldiers lol

Waiting on rex, ham and slinky dog

My picks would be an AOS carnosaur, something involving an odd boar, and a fleshound conversion, he'd probably come up with something better though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Squigglypuff