Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I like that this rich DJ celebrity super hacker can't afford a better car than an early-nineties volvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Great Joe posted:

I like that this rich DJ celebrity super hacker can't afford a better car than an early-nineties volvo.

Well after the LEDs and the neon lights and the leather seats it's probably as expensive as a late-90's Volvo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So that was the least boring of our antagonists dealt with in two missions, where you do the same stuff as you normally do and have to follow the mandated steps until the game tells you that you can proceed.

Defalt really should have been part of the overworld from the get go. Maybe the profiler stops working a couple blocks from the cyberpunk club, or it only gives you the "funny" answers, to clue you in that something's going on. Maybe there's a constant ctOS dead zone. Just something.

Your enemy using your tools against you was cool, but there needed to be more of it to make the fight meaningful.

Killing an old man by overloading his pacemaker seemed needlessly cruel (more Jack Bauer than Jason Bourne), but Aiden has been blowing up PMC dudes left and right since the start, so what do I know.

E: Looking forward to seeing you taking care of the biggest bad, Aiden's fashion sense.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

this game is so bad! What was the point of most of this? Did Aiden actually need any more motivation to kill Damian?

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
The point of all this is that ubisoft is bad at writing women. Like holy poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How can you hate such a likeable protagonist that hacks a crippled old man's pacemaker twice?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Scalding Coffee posted:

How can you hate such a likeable protagonist that hacks a crippled old man's pacemaker twice?

And wires his family's home with cameras without their knowledge, he's a standup American citizen

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Stopping a man's pacemaker is absolutely brutal, but it could have worked as an end to that villain if only the game had a better handle on its tone.

Really, the most disappointing thing about this game to me is that there are kernels of good ideas here that just don't come to fruition. There was so much potential, just to make another GTA clone that tries too hard. I keep seeing things and thinking, "oh, that could be fun," or "that's a cool hook," only to sigh sadly a few minutes later.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I guess you don't have the option to just leave him alive and just walk out? Or mess with it enough to extort enough information and have the option to do more, to make him beg and scream, if you were that much of a bastard.

But no, just a couple quick button presses, then gotta be railroaded to the next big setpiece, don't actually think for yourselves, we can do a much better job of that you dumb piece of poo poo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"No, of course you can't choose your preferred ending to this quest! What do you think this is, some kind of sandbox game?"

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Watching that made me happy I made it to the rooftop part of that mission, died a couple of times to helicopters being annoying and my own incompetence and then quit the game. Lucky Quinn got to live, and Aiden died as he should have by getting in over his head. A much more appropriate ending to him.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think the best part is that their conversation at that point can be paraphrased as:

"Do you expect me to beg?"

"No, Mr. Quinn, I expect you to die!"

You know you've got a likable protagonist when he can quote a Bond villain in context.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The Heavenator posted:

The point of all this is that ubisoft is bad at writing women. Like holy poo poo.
-One only shows up in a snuff video
-One is a sex worker who is about to get murdered
-One is forced to flee the city by Aiden
-One gets murdered because of Aiden for reasons that might be explained next video??

Those are all the women!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Do you expect me to beg?"

"No, Mr. Quinn, I expect you to die!"

This s honestly what I heard when that scene was playing. Also the idea that something [invasion] was programmed to spawn right before you go to do a mission is such bullshit.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Tin Hat posted:

-One only shows up in a snuff video
-One is a sex worker who is about to get murdered
-One is forced to flee the city by Aiden
-One gets murdered because of Aiden for reasons that might be explained next video??

Those are all the women!

I honestly can't remember the name of any female ubisoft character, hell I can barely remember any male ones.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There was Aveline in Liberation.

That was it.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Right, here's a video of all the investigation side missions . It's really long and a near constant stream of exposition, so no commentary. Also kalon flat out refused. Probably just put this in the background if you are interested about the backstory bullshit.

Final episode will be up as soon as I can pry kalon away from splatoon.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The Heavenator posted:

Final episode will be up as soon as I can pry kalon away from splatoon.

You'll pry me away from Splatoon when I am dead and buried.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Nalesh posted:

I honestly can't remember the name of any female ubisoft character, hell I can barely remember any male ones.

Mary Read in AC4?

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

A curse has been lifted, and a soul has been freed.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The Heavenator posted:

A curse has been lifted, and a soul has been freed.

Even All 4 One wasn't worth this.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

Even All 4 One wasn't worth this.

Yeah, turns out I owe a lifelong debt to kalon now.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

:frogsiren: Episode 16 :Uncut | Cut :frogsiren:

This week Aiden shoots people in the head, and we're done with this bullshit.

Our guest this week is Ape, making his triumphant return.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 3, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Much like with Th4if, I feel like I have to lay down my honest thoughts about this game.

It is pure, unbridled awfulness.

Gameplay wise, it seems competent enough. Not exactly deep, exciting, or challenging (especially given that you can buy a grenade launcher 30 minutes into the game), but obviously playable and mostly not frustrating to the point where you'll throw your controller. Much like Th4if, it's fine. The mechanics are fine. The gameplay is fine. The AI is a little lackluster but for what the game is it's fine. A few nitpicks here and there, but for the most part the game would be, as I said in a previous video, painfully mediocre and had it not been hyped to hell and back it likely would have faded from the general public's eye within a year or two, until it likely became a free PS+ game or something.

What makes the game awful is two loving things that I feel really, REALLY make the game a loving shitpile.

First of all are the chase sequences. Not only do they happen after every mission, but they are also very VERY clearly just game padding. "Hey boss, our game is only 4 hours long, what do we do?" "Mandatory driving sequences after every mission for no reason whatsoever!" This is especially and PAINFULLY obvious in the final mission, where you are given three checkpoints, which are probably all as far away as the game can possibly put them, and expect you to drive to all of them, while avoiding cops the whole time. Try to lose them? gently caress you! They know what you're driving all the time always! Why? Because [Aiden cosplayer kicks you in the nuts]. WE GET IT, GAME, WE KNOW HOW TO AVOID COPS NOW. Maybe if it didn't happen so loving often, I wouldn't have complained about the final mission so much (only i would have because holy poo poo that was bad). Once, maybe twice an act would be good. Three times in Act I to get you used to the idea. But I'm pretty sure it happens after nearly every mission in the game. gently caress you! That's awful!

That alone wouldn't have been enough to make the game as bad as I say it was. Even good games make bad choices a lot of the time (im looking at you killer crocs lair). This would have dragged it down from "competently done" to "annoying at bits but otherwise innofensive". What drags it down to being loving atrocious is the story, and more to the point, our "protagonist" Aiden Pearce. The story makes no loving sense as a serious drama intended to be taken seriously. The game could have really, really benefited from being a love-letter to cheesy hacker/ computer movies and shows that have no idea how computers work. Instead, we're supposed to take this dramatic story of a vigilante "hacker" seriously when grenades are attached to wi-fi and 7-year-old memes are plastered onto road signs. It simply does not work. Having a dramatic, serious story about hacking where nobody does anything remotely close to resembling hacking is loving grating as poo poo. It doesn't even look like NCIS hacking. Hell, I believe that video I linked is more believable than anything I saw in Watch_Dogs, which is something I NEVER thought I'd say about Two Idiots One Keyboard in my life.

Aiden is a piece of poo poo. No, seriously, there is not one loving redeemable quality about him. "Oh but he's a family man." Yeah, who loving spies on his family without getting their permission or even ever telling them. He tortures people, kills people, spies on people, steals money from people steals people bank accounts and sells them to someone (which holy poo poo), not to mention he is a gigantic sexist bordering on misogynistic. In pretty much any other game, he would be the villain. "But he's an anti-hero, working for the good of the people, like Deadpool." No, that doesn't loving fly. See, the thing about Deadpool is that he admits he's a horrible person, and he actually does do bad things for good reasons. Aiden does not do anything resembling remotely close to doing something for a good reason. He is so loving self-centered and egotistical I don't think the idea that he could be doing these things for the good of other people crosses his mind even once. All of this that happens is because he's on a rampage over the fact that someone killed his daughterniece. He doesn't go out of his way to help anyone with anything else. Even the loving Punisher hits targets because he wants people to be safe. When I think your protagonist is less personable and moral than the loving Punisher, you messed up badly.

At least Jordi is a fun character.

TL;DR: Gameplay is fine except for cop chases, gently caress Aiden Pearce.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 2, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

fuuuuuuuuuuuck thiiiiiiiiiis gaaaaaaaaaaaame

Looking forward to Jak 3, though, Heave is right, it's a sweet rear end game that's a ton of fun. Woo, good game!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Even after Damien leaked your profile on the news, the police still didn't go crazy in searching for you until the last mission. The ending is proof at people have ADD or something.
Did Dedsec even need to bother you to drop their code on wi-max before you shut it down?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The game ends as it began, with Jordi being the only good character.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Googling Don Cherry brought me to a blog dedicated to his suits, so at least there was one bright spot out of that long, mediocre gameplay video. I think my favorite is the one that looks like mustard threw up all over the fabric.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Don Cherry is a national treasure. :canada:

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 3, 2015

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
We are DeadSec behold our spooky skull .gifs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I heard good things about the DLC.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Why doesn't the last video have any sound for me? What the hell... Anyone else experience this?

e: Huh. the Cut version has NO audio at any point. the uncut seems fine. Guess I will watch the uncut version this time around. I think heavenator went a little overboard on the cutting part of the cut version.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Jade Star posted:

Why doesn't the last video have any sound for me? What the hell... Anyone else experience this?

e: Huh. the Cut version has NO audio at any point. the uncut seems fine. Guess I will watch the uncut version this time around. I think heavenator went a little overboard on the cutting part of the cut version.

Well gently caress. Guess I should have checked the video after it took forever to process, working version will be up this afternoon

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does DedSec accomplish anything besides the title drop in this game?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Tin Hat posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does DedSec accomplish anything besides the title drop in this game?

Provide sequel bait, I guess?

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Tin Hat posted:

Well, the hacks that we use are taken from DedSec by Claire, so no they still really did jack poo poo.

Also the cut video is fixed.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

dedsec is just there to make 4chan angry at Ubisoft, thereby spreading free publicity.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

And one more thing

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

That must have felt REALLY good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

That must have felt REALLY good.

It was pretty good until I realized I'd filled the house with the foul, acrid smell of burning plastic.

• Locked thread