Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Imagine how much better this game would've been if Jordi was the playable main character.

But then we wouldn't have bland brown haired white guy who's as good as a blank slate that we can project ourselves onto. It's the experience and immersion you get with no other game.

Besides, this is a dark and serious game, for a serious console generation, we have no room for innovation and enjoyment, because that doesn't make money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

But then we wouldn't have bland brown haired white guy who's as good as a blank slate that we can project ourselves onto. It's the experience and immersion you get with no other game.

Besides, this is a dark and serious game, for a serious console generation, we have no room for innovation and enjoyment, because that doesn't make money!

If Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs have taught me anything, it's that open world crime games are much better if the protagonist has fun with their rampant disregard for human life.

Also, that Wei Shen is the best policemanofficer that Hong Kong has ever seen.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

chiasaur11 posted:

If Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs have taught me anything, it's that open world crime games are much better if the protagonist has fun with their rampant disregard for human life.

Also, that Wei Shen is the best policemanofficer that Hong Kong has ever seen.

I was about to say, Jordi is awfully like how I played sleeping dogs :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

aerion111 posted:

Heck, from what I've seen, most people DO play this game exactly like they play GTA: Completely ignore all story, drive around killing everything and doing all the interactive stuff, then get bored 3-5 hours in and move on to a different game
I played it more like Assassin's Creed, where I do just enough story to open up the poo poo, get every map unlock and then just roam around collecting all the collectibles and doing arbitrary missions until I can't stand it anymore. Though I did watch other people play through the plot so I didn't miss any of the terrible.

I never really did the "kill everyone and see how long you can survive" thing typical of GTA with this one. But I did challenge myself to find new ways to beat the crime alerts. My favorite is trying to beat one while driving a delivery truck. He's very slow at hiding in them so you have to time it almost perfectly, but if you pull it off you then get to slowly creep up on the perp and obliterate him under your front end.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CrashCat posted:

Oh dear, you're in for it now. Hope you show off how you can beat the guarded ctOS bases without firing a shot or even entering the area, otherwise you will be skipping one of the few unique things about the game.

Though thinking about it I'm guessing next to nobody who played the game even bothered to try that, because there's basically no benefit. Whoops.

I did it for the first ctOS base but that was boring so I just go in guns blazing all the time now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You can do both since the game gives you the best stealth weapon pretty much right of the bat (that Spec Ops 1911 that unlocks when you get back to your apartment for the first time)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This game's bullet time does let you do some crazy rear end poo poo though. I like placing a remote bomb on my car, picking a moving target and racing to them. You dive out of the car, hit the bullet time and as your car passes theirs you detonate it all before you even hit the ground.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I'm glad everyone here realizes how bad this game is. I can almost even overlook the mediocre gameplay parts since the small stealth parts were enjoyable. However, Aiden has zero personality, the writers did a lovely, overbearing job of trying to make you cry over the little girl no one knew or cared about, and everything else in the plot is just dumb and boring.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The distortion in the opening cutscene reminds me of Saints Row IV. Some of the characters have glitchy models on purpose (it makes sense in context) and it took me about an hour after I first saw them to realize my video card wasn't busted or anything. Also it wasn't nearly as horrendous.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Even though this game was aggressively mediocre I still enjoyed it for the 20 hours I put into it. Launch multiplayer was fun before the tryhards solved the game. Stealth was where I really dug in. Challenging myself to do nonleathal at the CTOS places and letting go balls leathal out on the story was personally satisfying.

But gently caress Jacks(on). Traumatized shitbird was not endearing in the slightest and super annoying going forward.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think I only got about 8 hours into the game before I gave up. After about the third mission where the solution was "ignore the actual objectives because the mission as written is impossible" I realized that the game didn't want to be played.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So our hero just blew out all the lights at a packed stadium, potentially injuring people with falling glass or in the panic that would result.

Yeah, I'm rooting for this guy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Glazius posted:

So our hero just blew out all the lights at a packed stadium, potentially injuring people with falling glass or in the panic that would result.

Yeah, I'm rooting for this guy.

And the reason he did that was to cover his escape. This escape was necessary because Aiden thought the best opportunity to interrogate somebody was in a stadium locker room during a game and his buddy thought the best way to conceal their actions was to provoke a cop-on-gang battle in the same stadium as said game.

I sense we are not working with the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I thought his idea was to make it look like a gang-on-gang battle that would be reported by the cops, and the escape sequence happened because the cops showed up early. Like, it's a good idea, just don't call the cops until you're already out of the building, jeez.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jordi is simultaneously the game's most charismatic and likeable characters and also the one that causes you the most grief in terms of gameplay and the plot.

He's the kind of guy that you'd invite to a Kegger. Bring an old-timey powder-keg, blame you for not being specific enough, and blow up your house because he's already got the keg.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And the reason he did that was to cover his escape. This escape was necessary because Aiden thought the best opportunity to interrogate somebody was in a stadium locker room during a game and his buddy thought the best way to conceal their actions was to provoke a cop-on-gang battle in the same stadium as said game.

I sense we are not working with the sharpest knives in the drawer.

It's like something you'd see in a Saints Row game if the Saints Row games had no self-awareness or creativity or sense of humor and instead of purple the Saints all wore sheep costumes with "AT AGE 6" written on the chests to honor the Boss's poor niece and her tragic, untimely end.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Jordi is simultaneously the game's most charismatic and likeable characters and also the one that causes you the most grief in terms of gameplay and the plot.

Like not letting you call for vehicles on missions - the one time it would be most beneficial?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Buried alive posted:

I thought his idea was to make it look like a gang-on-gang battle that would be reported by the cops, and the escape sequence happened because the cops showed up early. Like, it's a good idea, just don't call the cops until you're already out of the building, jeez.

The impression I got was to call cops, call MORE gang members, and let the bodies he'd created get lost in the ensuing chaos.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bruceski posted:

The impression I got was to call cops, call MORE gang members, and let the bodies he'd created get lost in the ensuing chaos.
Yeah, he mentioned they would get caught up in a fight with the gang members he called out, but apparently gang members are anything but punctual.

Kurieg posted:

He's the kind of guy that you'd invite to a Kegger. Bring an old-timey powder-keg, blame you for not being specific enough, and blow up your house because he's already got the keg.
Funny and accurate.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bruceski posted:

And yet none of this addresses the questions of why Aiden thought the best possible place to confront the guy was in a stadium locker room during a game, nor why starting a gang fight was considered the easiest way to conceal the crime scene.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And yet none of this addresses the questions of why Aiden thought the best possible place to confront the guy was in a stadium locker room during a game, nor why starting a gang fight was considered the easiest way to conceal the crime scene.

Aiden's a moron and Jordi's sociopathic enough to be canonized down at third street.

Mind, having your protagonist lose against rock salt in both an IQ test and a personality contest does not speak well for a game.

Inriri
Apr 25, 2014
Oh boy this game. I was interested in it mainly for the ability to act like a vigilante and prevent crimes and poo poo, but that was screwed over so in such a dumb way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's a minor nitpick compared to the other things in the game, but it bugs me that the info your phone grabs on good guys and bad guys is separated. I want to see how people react when an old lady in the street scans as "been in jail three times" while a gangbanger thug turns out to volunteer at a homeless shelter.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Er... Do gangbanger thugs often volunteer in homeless shelters? :confused:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

supermikhail posted:

Lives change.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

supermikhail posted:

People have layers.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, yeah... It would have been a more palatable statement to me in the form "former gangbanger thug". :downs:

Or maybe "a vigilante-style criminal" or something?

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 3, 2014

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Bruceski posted:

It's a minor nitpick compared to the other things in the game, but it bugs me that the info your phone grabs on good guys and bad guys is separated. I want to see how people react when an old lady in the street scans as "been in jail three times" while a gangbanger thug turns out to volunteer at a homeless shelter.

Random people on the street do sometimes come up with convictions, and there are a few enemies that are apparently nice people. The Profiler is at the same time really great and really dumb. In PR for the game they tried to claim this as a moral choice system which is complete bullshit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I kind of wanted that game they showed at E3 where you threaten people with an unloaded gun and beat them down because actually getting your hands on heavy ordinance would be difficult. This game is just a generic open world game with lots of unexplained cell phone magic but none of SR4's ridiculousness.

Like apparently hand grenades are not only wi-fi enabled but on the citywide network... but guns aren't because that would mean you could actually disable guns and be hacker batman instead of Aiden Pierce unlikeable sociopath.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
:frogsiren: Episode 2 : Uncut | Cut :frogsiren:

In this episode Aiden is a creepy gently caress, (a recurring theme), and we're in treatment for PTSD.

My guest this week is Bobbin Threadbare. He has a LP of Deus Ex going which you should really check out if you haven't already.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I was waiting for this one. I drat well forgot what was going on; I just remember it was hilariously stupid.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

I never noticed it to be that separate to be honest. I chased down some purse snatcher in the street. Blew a steampipe up under his feet and killed him. As I got closer I was able to scan him. Turns out he had adopted two mentally disabled children.

My bad.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ooookay let's not poo poo on the one thing this game has going for it.

Blume agents are easily identifiable through the Profiler (They will have UNDERCOVER BLUME AGENT as their main thing). You will only get a bounty because either you were careless or because you let the call go through. Also you can stop phone calls using Jam Coms so really if you get a bounty it's your own drat fault. Other players only pop into your world non-stop if you are constantly invading other players' games. Otherwise you will get invaded only occasionally, and if that's not your thing, you can turn it completely off.
The Virus Install is fun as gently caress because it's a cat-and-mouse thing where one player has to blend in with the NPCs (hint: Walk, since NPCs generally don't run) while the other has to ferret them out with the profiler. If the hacker is found, they are supposed to escape, since killing the other player penalizes them. The hackee can freely kill them and are rewarded for doing so.
The second type of missions are tailing missions. You have to find the player and tail them for a certain amount of time. During this time, you cannot be ID'd by the other player (or again, you have to escape and not kill them). The player being tailed is completely unaware they're being tailed unless they try to activate a mission or you tip them off.
The third type is a capture-the-flag kind of deal, where your team has to get some data and hold onto it until it decrypts. The other team will try to do the same. I have never got this to work right because players cheat with trainers.
There are other game modes, but gently caress them they suck.

On that note, THE ACTUAL LEGITIMATE PROBLEMS WITH WATCH_DOGS ONLINE:

By this point most players have figured out the spawn mechanics of opponents and will now actively route invaders into secluded areas making them easy prey. If you just spawn into the game, there is a good chance your session will be cut short in seconds as the other player will put an anti-materiel round through your chest. This is because of the way the matchmaking system works. Virus Install is particularly bad about this because most players armor themselves up in a makeshift stronghold and you now have to go through pre-prepared traps to get to an enemy waiting for you. Ubi has done nothing to address this.
Furthermore many players use trainers when playing online, especially in the third mode. This makes them invincible and you can do gently caress-all about it. It's a really douche thing to do and nobody really likes these people. But, since Ubi has done nothing to address this, the best you can do is just quit your game.
Oh quit your game? A legitimate tactic if you are getting hacked! Cannot find the dude? Quit your game (or kill it in task manager) and you will get no penalties and stiff your opponent out of his hard-earned rewards! You are a big, dumb, loving baby if you do this, but I'm sure if you have to resort to this tactic you know that better than anyone else.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 5, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

"Fixers are terrible people that take jobs from the highest bidder, now anyway let me go do a contract i got from a Fixer friend of mine"

Oh Aiden, you're so endearingly hypocritical :allears:

I actually rather like the online aspects, what i DON'T like is that if you decide you don't want any invasions at all you can turn them off which is fair enough. But then as soon you want them back ON, you have to get all the rewards again from scratch!

So if you had gotten to the one useful ability (having Jam Coms last longer) you will lose it and have to hack/race/tail people all over again.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 5, 2014

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

As a Chicagoan I was interested in how the game portrayed the city and that E3 trailer did a really great job of recreating the loop so am going to be following this LP to see if they follow up on that. Thought May stadium doesn't look like at all like Wrigley Field(which am sure they were trying to do since the neighborhood looks more of a northside than a southside one) and look more like a Yankee Stadium.

If, like the makers of this game, you come from an alternate universe in which the Mag Mile and the Loop are the only notable things on the Chicago islands, you'll love this.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SSNeoman posted:

By this point most players have figured out the spawn mechanics of opponents and will now actively route invaders into secluded areas making them easy prey. If you just spawn into the game, there is a good chance your session will be cut short in seconds as the other player will put an anti-materiel round through your chest. This is because of the way the matchmaking system works. Virus Install is particularly bad about this because most players armor themselves up in a makeshift stronghold and you now have to go through pre-prepared traps to get to an enemy waiting for you. Ubi has done nothing to address this.
It's even simpler than that. You can go to a menu or attempt to use bullet time to find out when you are being hacked. When you do, rush to the nearest long, straight street, speed to the far end of it and point your instagib sniper rifle back down the street the way you came. Shoot the first car you see that doesn't drive completely straight. Congratulations, you successfully defended against a hack.

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008
Just thought I'd point this out for those wondering, but the billboard hack you did in the video quotes the iconic line from the 1985 horror/comedy, Return of the Living Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcle-JgnFA

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Valentin posted:

If, like the makers of this game, you come from an alternate universe in which the Mag Mile and the Loop are the only notable things on the Chicago islands, you'll love this.

Also, everything looks way too clean for Chicago. It's super off-putting. And there are some places I don't even recognize, though I can chalk it up to design choices and me not having been in Chicago for a while.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bman in 2288 posted:

Also, everything looks way too clean for Chicago. It's super off-putting.
I thought so too, but I felt it fit the sort of "everything is too nice, something is wrong" vibe they seem to be going for, at least until the poo poo hits the fan. You do eventually get to some run down poo poo but it's certainly not as widespread as, well, any real city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think you owe it to your viewers to memefy every single sign you come upon. Make Chicago the lolcats capital of the world!

• Locked thread