Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

You, the plant, come over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Survivor 30: Union vs Non Union vs Hippies

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Let's talk to a random guy in the audience about why he thinks he's white collar!!

Hopefully they just pay lip service to this gimmick like they did with Brain vs. Brawns Vs. Beauty, which was apparently not cast with that in mind. If they specifically sought out those archetypes...man, that could be rough

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is the "no collar" 15?

Jeff really misses his talk show.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Was really expecting returning players for season 30 to be honest. Seems like the perfect number to do that with. As it is, hopefully they cast it like season 28 and not like season 29.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
No collar ugggggggggghhhhhh

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Bigass Moth posted:

No collar ugggggggggghhhhhh

Survivor : Panama.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Missy seems like a poo poo person who was awful to the people she didn't like, so I can't blame reed for getting some payback.

Yep, we don't know what kind of villan edit she could have gotten, do we?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Just a friendly reminder than this season hasn't wrapped up yet.

Join Rob Cesterino and Stephen Fishbach in 15 minutes for their wrap up.

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2014-san-juan-del-sur-finale-recap-winner-season-29-december-17-know-it-alls/

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Anyone else amused to see Kat in the audience at the end?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Missy got her villain edit. She's an abrasive lady who likes being in control and plays on emotions to get what she wants.

But she was a lowercase v villain, not some kind of Russel terror that needed to be taken down a peg.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

STAC Goat posted:

I think Missy got her villain edit. She's an abrasive lady who likes being in control and plays on emotions to get what she wants.

But she was a lowercase v villain, not some kind of Russel terror that needed to be taken down a peg.

I never cared much for Missy, but Jaclyn was perhaps the most unlikeable person of the season.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Anyone else amused to see Kat in the audience at the end?

She didn't even make the merge!

Apparently, her and Drew are "hanging out" according to mouth breather Alec.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ghostpilot posted:

I never cared much for Missy, but Jaclyn was perhaps the most unlikeable person of the season.

Missy, Baylor, Jaclyn, Jon, Reed, Alec, Drew. There were a lot of little reasons to dislike people this season. Jeremy's obnoxiousness. Keith being a moron. Rocker. A lot of unflattering personality flaws on display this season. But no one who was actively playing the villain or just making life miserable or treating people terribly.

At least it didn't SEEM like Missy was treating people badly. Reed may disagree but no one seems to have really expressed that before besides that like tiff she had with Dale.

This season had a lot of lowercase v villains but no real VILLAIN. A big part of the reason people were so disappointed, IMO. A lot of people you didn't want to see win but no one who you loved to hate.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 18, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Rob and Stephen's podcast are live.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been amused at Fishbach being consistently wrong about everything. I enjoy him way more than other co-hosts Rob has had. I basically stopped listening to him because i hated his co-hosts and I started listening again because of Fishbach. But all season he's made these predictions about "the edit" and the fanbase and he's always wrong. It amuses me, especially since he's playing up the "Know It All" thing so much.

He can't stop predicting Jon to win stuff and being wrong. He kept expecting Jon or Jaclyn to place somewhere in the Top 5 for some bizarre reason. Not surprisingly the five were 5) Keith, 4) Reed, 3) Josh, 2) Jeremy, and 1) Natalie with like 40% of the vote.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Apparently they have the best cast so far for the next season and probst confirmed that blood vs water 2 was a mistake.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Great finale, great winner.

I had no problem with Reed's speech. It was clearly sensationalized but the point of it was clear and accurate whether Missy and Baylor want to admit it or not.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Nexal posted:

Apparently they have the best cast so far for the next season and probst confirmed that blood vs water 2 was a mistake.
Holy gently caress, yer still awake!
Goto bed Swederland unless yer a trucker or a tweeker.

Probst makes many a claim his rear end can't cash.
We shall see.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

A good rehearsed destruction at final tribal is always fantastic.

The hand movement with "THE BALL" :sissies:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Great finale, great winner.

I had no problem with Reed's speech. It was clearly sensationalized but the point of it was clear and accurate whether Missy and Baylor want to admit it or not.

Yep, at least we can say of this bad season that someone deserving won. That said, please don't push it and bring the twinnies back because I know I will hate them together again.

Also next season looks like trash, but at least the terrible terrible gimmicks like this one always gently caress off within 2-3 episodes.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Jeremy's attempt at a Spencer/David Murphy statement was a bit lacking.

Not sure if we'll be seeing BvW for a while.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

It was pretty obvious that whichever of Natalie and Keith didn't get voted out was going to win. But, echoing a lot of the sentiments in this thread, at least the person who won deserved it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Disregarding meanness or pettiness or whatever, I absolutely adored Reed's speech. It was delivered so amazingly well, I couldn't believe it. He must have spent forever rehearsing that thing, because he delivered it flawlessly.

Dude clearly hates Missy, but he also did a good job of saying "hey, you should bring me back as a returnee". Because it is definitely going to happen after that evisceration.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Survivor: Slave collar vs. Pink collar

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Twinnie for the winnie :unsmith:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Probst always promotes the next season as being entertaining.

Hope this isn't too off-topic.
1. Missy talked about long conversations with Jon about faith and I'm pretty sure she said 'scripture'.
2. Probst and "the gays" went on and on about being good Christians. Reed was so unnecessarily insulting to mother and daughter, but then talked about being a good role model.
Q. Why didn't Reed and Missy get along better?! Or why didn't Jon, Missy and Reed form a Bible circle grouping. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 18, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Not all religious people get along? poo poo man, that's an easy one.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
But then why hold Reed up as someone who is "changing peoples lives". Seems like he's setting a terrible example.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Binary Logic posted:

d Missy get along better?! Or why didn't Jon, Missy and Reed form a Bible circle grouping. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Maybe Missy wasn't cool with a gay Christian. Still a stupid amount of Christians till be absolutely disgusted at someone saying they are a gay christian ;). And maybe the producers decided that wouldn't be a good story line.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

But then why hold Reed up as someone who is "changing peoples lives". Seems like he's setting a terrible example.
straightwhitemale.txt

A lot of people didn't know that you can be a practicing Christian AND gay. Just seeing that people like that exist and can be successful in life is a large inspiration to kids that might not get that at home or in their daily lives.

Josh and Reed's mere existence is like a walking It Gets Better campaign.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Good news about casting - they treated it Cagayan where they casted first and then fit them into their stereotype tribes after the fact.

quote:

Like the Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty season, the producers cast their players first and them fit them into the theme, rather than vice versa. Doing it the other way was a mistake they learned on this past season’s Blood vs. Water theme. “We learned a valuable lesson with Blood vs. Water 2,” Probst explains. “And that lesson was, we got so excited with Blood vs. Water the first time that we wanted to do it again. So we put it on the books and said, ‘Let’s do it! And now let’s go cast it.’ And that was a mistake, which in hindsight sounds so simple. How could you ever make that mistake? But we did. We got excited. And we got ahead of ourselves. And it put us in a situation where we were casting to a theme rather than just finding the best people and then figuring out what the theme is. So we learned from that and then went back out for this season and found the best people we could find.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/17/survivor-worlds-apart-jeff-probst/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I got the sense that the importance of Christianity in that relationship was something that came more from Josh than from Reed, but who knows.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reed's speech was pretty fine with me, I don't think it was any worse than others we've heard in the past.

Missy got a good edit and she still came across as an overly generous and defensive mother, and from what I remember she was pretty much singled out as the reason that her tribe ran out of rice, which gives Reed's example of extra food credence.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

My favourite part about Reed's speech is that he thinks he'd be a princess if it wasn't for Missy.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Also remember that missy stayed in the game after her injury which probably kept her daughter out if the final 3, and Baylor IMO had a better shot at winning.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shakugan posted:

Disregarding meanness or pettiness or whatever, I absolutely adored Reed's speech. It was delivered so amazingly well, I couldn't believe it. He must have spent forever rehearsing that thing, because he delivered it flawlessly.

Dude clearly hates Missy, but he also did a good job of saying "hey, you should bring me back as a returnee". Because it is definitely going to happen after that evisceration.

Yeah, I loved that speech too even though I didn't think Missy deserved being singled out like that and felt really bad for her and Baylor. I thought Reed was one of a few people that might be deserving to come back just based on his play during his last couple of episodes, after that speech I'd say he's far and away the most deserving to return out of all this season's cast.

My favorite part of the finale was Keith's practice session and how it looked like he was talking to the monkeys at the beginning of it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

One thing I didn't notice in this thread was discussion about how Jaclyn had a chance to win the entire game but threw it away? All she had to do was vote Natalie instead of Baylor at final 5; getting someone to use their idol on you and then using that immunity to vote that someone off is a game winning move. Missy and Baylor likely would have taken Jaclyn to final tribal even if she hadn't won immunity because they were stupid and scared of Keith. Alternatively she could have got with Keith and said they would force a draw until one of Baylor/Missy agreed to be voted out (knowing it would make no difference to their chances of winning).

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Bigass Moth posted:

Also remember that missy stayed in the game after her injury which probably kept her daughter out if the final 3, and Baylor IMO had a better shot at winning.

I don't know if that's true. Most of the exit interviews seemed to indicate that no one respected Baylor and just thought she was a lazy brat who needed her mom to do her fighting for her. (They didn't see any of her strategy with Natalie or anything) Or in the best cases, "Well she's very young so she doesn't really understand." Missy had some respect, at least - when Jeff did the informal revote with no Natalie in there she had 3 hypothetical votes to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Unmerciful posted:

I get that its legit within the game but to me screwing someone out of more money that costs you absolutely nothing purely out of spite objectively makes you an rear end in a top hat. All that matters is that the right person wins - everything else should be immaterial

Except that he'd be screwing Jaclyn out of more money by not voting for her...

I didn't care for Reed really before tonight, but after that speech and voting Jaclyn I'm sold on Reed being awesome.

• Locked thread