Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rocker was entertaining, and there's a pretty large black hole of charisma with him gone. Not the strongest of starts for a season, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not writing off the season, and I know that a survivor season can turn on a dime into something pretty great relatively easily.

But is there really no goofy or intense or memorable bits happening on the other tribe, like, at all? IIRC last year's season had a great tension in the early going with the Brawn tribe - waiting for the day they'd have to actually start playing the game. There was tension and suspense there, whereas this time around I just have a giant shrug around most of the cast.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Considering they knowingly had Jeff practically say "We'll find out next week what you'll sacrifice to get rice!" - that penalty better be severe. Take them to tribal, vote someone out, turn an immunity into a reward challenge.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I understand why last season was "the season of Tony", but there was several personalities that crackled.

This time, not so much. I don't get the Baylor hate - she's got a lovely mom to try and navigate around.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That episode loving sucked. I feel blue-balled, like I watched a non elimination leg on amazing race.

I could stand the lack of tribal on a normal vote, but the first vote after merge is, like, the MOST interesting and important vote every year.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I thought most of the international editions had ceased production. Curse you, outdated wikipedia pages!

The canadian version of amazing race, a scant two seasons, has been far better than recent american seasons.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Last week I was rooting against Jeremy, and now because of the sexist douchebag olympics I guess I'm rooting for him to win. I'd like to say that it was "powerful editing" that made me switch, but I think its just because tonight was the first time where I felt any sort of definition for who these people are.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Seconding Cagayan, or even the first blood vs water. There's a lot of people who talk about the old survivor episodes being fabled greatness, but the latest most recent seasons have been rather engaging.

Except this one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The sad thing is that Jeremy was essentially thwarted by the incredible pointlessness of Jon flipping on someone again. My favorite part of Survivor is the supposed "masterminds" forgetting to remember that people are emotional beings, but this leaves a gaping hole of charisma in this season.

Last year I rooted against Tony hard and often, and I remember Kass inexplicably flipping and ruining the other side's chances. It was still hilarious and entertaining in a way this season almost never is.

Also, I don't get the Baylor hate. She's saddled with Missy, both in the game and in life. That's gotta take a toll.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

At the beginning of this season, I criticized this board for always saying that every single move is the SINGLE STUPIDEST MOVE EVER.

But this season has been particularly atrocious.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Natalie's "hey bro, play the idol" was great, entertaining and a good move for her.

I'm just tired of seeing Reed/Josh/Jeremy having their decently designed plans wrecked by sheer stupidity.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The fact that they showed Natalie TELLING Jon to play the idol is a pretty big indicator that Natalie is going to be a dominant player moving forward.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

About 90% of my enjoyment this season is coming from Jeff slowly losing his drat mind at how spectacularly awful this year has been.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Even bad seasons have seen plenty of entertaining players return. They always do struggle to fill all of the slots, and I think Josh, Reed, and Jeremy would jump at the chance to play a game with non-terrible players.

The strangest thing is how so many players aren't just playing Bad Survivor; absolutely no one has looked at how couples change strategy.

With plenty of male/female pairs, there's no way a gender-based alliance could ever get any traction. Its baffling that no one has attempted a single strike against Jon or Jaclyn.

I'm usually the type to argue for the importance of an all-newbie season, but there's no WAY a single veteran would keep one couple together this late in the game.

I get that players can be cautious to make a big play against those seen at running the game - last season we saw Tony waltz his way to a victory. But I also understood why no one felt like taking him on.

This year? Shoot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd be much more inclined to agree with everyone's "This is the worst strategy ever!" postings if you guys didn't say the same drat thing every year.

Though this season is wretched.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I kind've want Missy to win a million dollars.

Just because, holy poo poo, that's some great tabloid fodder.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Not all religious people get along? poo poo man, that's an easy one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm much more excited about starting with three tribes. For some reason I just tend to enjoy that set-up much more, as it allows for me to remember the cast much more quickly.

As for Jaclyn, I would've loved to see how she'd play the game without Jon in tow.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think Redemption Island is a good gimmick, but I DO like having an event to start each episode out. Without it, you essentially watch paint dry until the immunity challenge for something to impact the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hidden Immunity Idols are great when used sparingly - they promote blindsides and secrecy.

Things tend to go to hell when Survivor introduces too many and you end up with near half of the players protected.

Something to cancel a HII certainly wouldn't be too bad, though I hope it wouldn't also cancel out challenge-won immunity necklaces too. Unfortunately I can already see the "NO ONE IS SAFE MUAHAHAHA" promos.

• Locked thread