Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

They had an amazing season last season, and the only reason it was short of the all-time greats was because of the stupid gimmick (all powerful immunity idol). So why the hell are they so quick to jump back to stupid gimmicks and stunt casting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Wow the castaways this season and the orange team in particular are such amateurs. Lose 3 immunity challenges in a row, decide to vote off the strongest person almost guaranteeing they will lose a few more immunity challenges that they may not have otherwise, dumb person practically telling Rocker he was getting voted off when they all know he has an idol, Rocker being dumb enough to not pick up on this.

Blood vs. water casting sucks, because getting pairs of interesting players is much harder than getting individual interesting players.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

BGrifter posted:

Painfully stupid. Normally I love watching idiots implode but I'm really not feeling it this season. I don't know if I'm burning out on Survivor after all these years or this season is just that bad.

Drew was so awful it's a drat shame he took away a spot that could have been used to cast someone else. Same is true for half the cast, and the other half just hasn't got enough screen time for me to be sure.

Yeah, they really messed up with the casting this season. Usually there are at least a few people who have some idea of how to play the game, but this season?

I think it's the fault of Blood vs. Water. In the first BvW season, they had a tribe of returnees who are typically interesting/strong players (this is not advocating for returnee tribes/seasons, it's just the reality that it's generally the more interesting players who are asked to return). But the issue with BvW is that you are casting groups of two rather than individuals, and it is way harder to find interesting couples where both players are interesting than interesting individuals. So immediately you can guess that half the cast will be duds.

Unfortunately here, it seems that the entire cast are duds.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Have we ever had a season where the average level of intelligence is so low? I mean, we've definitely seen stupid people before, but this must be unprecedented.

"Why are they being so stingy about the rice? They have so much compared to my old tribe!" was the dumbest thing ever. There's a reason one tribe has a ton of rice and the other tribe has so little they are going to have to sacrifice something to get more food. Jesus christ, so dumb.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

TMMadman posted:

I don't know why they voted out Kelley instead of Dale.

Because they think Dale will be more useful in the next challenge(s), that's all.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Kelley was on the majority alliance on the other tribe and would have been a threat at the merge because of her relationships with other players. Dale is just an isolated grumpy old dude.

I think thinking of this level is a little too high order for this seasons castaways.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Or just "Vote someone out right now, you get rice. Survivor isn't fair."

They had just won immunity before asking about the rice. Saying "give up immunity for rice" is such an obvious thing for Jeff to have done. It wouldn't have thrown the game off with respect to number of castaways remaining, it would result in them getting rice and not dying of hunger, and it's a way to resolve food shortages in such a way that it doesn't actively encourage tribes to eat through their food as quickly as possible.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

less laughter posted:

So I'm currently watching the most recent season of Survivor South Africa (I watch several international editions because just two American seasons a year isn't enough to satisfy my craving) and the weirdest thing just happened. One of the tribes stole the Hidden Immunity Idol from one of its members (Gena) and then promptly proceeded to unanimously vote her out! I can't believe the production team actually allowed this, isn't that completely against the rules usually? It was really bizarre. :psyduck:

Are there any seasons of international versions that you would recommend watching? I've watched international versions of the Amazing Race that have been just as good if not better than most American seasons, so I hope the same would hold for Survivor.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vernacular posted:

Josh was very likable and played a good game

Are we watching the same season? I found Josh to be super annoying, particularly because he was under the very wrong impression that he was playing a good game.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DaisyDanger posted:

I don't hate Jeremy, but him talking about the delicate women and how you need to be sensitive or whatever around them makes me want to fart in his face.

Excuse me, I am going to go fart in the bathroom which is a literal hole in the ground here in the jungle.

Yeah, that was something that stood out to me. Jeremy's attitude is easily as sexist as the rest, if not more so.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vernacular posted:

^^^ Is it, though? He has been allied with pretty much every female in the game at some point. Is that really possible for somebody as sexist as Alec has been all game?

Of course it is, he's sexist in a way that's far more insidious. Believing that women are delicate flowers who should be treated differently etc etc.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Juanito posted:

If only he were sexist in a less insidious way, by farting in front of them, and not having any respect for them.

I know you're joking, but it's much easier to combat overt sexism like Alec is displaying than what Jeremy does. Precisely because the response is always "Jeremy is just going the extra mile to be polite!", "Jeremy is just being a gentleman". People don't want to acknowledge it as sexism, but it clearly is essentially by definition (given that it's an example of treating women differently/acting differently around women solely on the basis of their gender/reinforces gender stereotypes). That's why what Jeremy does is worse.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Smorgasbord posted:

I really didn't understand why Jon was so concerned about Jeremy at Final3

Because Jon, like everyone else in the season, is really stupid. I suspect this was mentioned though (just not shown to make the tribal a "surprise") since something obviously made Jon come around.

Another thing that I thought was kind of funny that was never explicitly discussed was about Jon going to exile. Since everyone thought he was in their alliance, the mixed team were all ok sending him knowing he might get an idol.

Speaking of which, idols have been bullshit this season. Waaaay too easy to find. The clue for this one should have just been "there is an idol somewhere on exile, have fun".

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 14, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

quote:

She's trying too hard to be nice/fit in with the group/not make waves.

Factor Mystic posted:

There are some real dunces this season. Has the guys alliance forgotten that everyone they're currently playing with will be on the jury to decide if they win? I guess they have forgotten, with the way they're treating people.

:confused:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

I'd expect the money-sharing rules are relaxed a bit in a Blood v Water season. I can't really imagine then saying "No you can't share money with your daughter/husband/sister/etc"?

Surely none of these "rules" would ever stand up in court. If a contestant wins, and they are paid, it's their money at that point. So surely, if that contestant wants to then give some of that money away to whoever (including other players), they would be free to do so.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Can we please spoil preview discussion?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Juanito posted:

Very abrasive on The Amazing Race. Of course, it's not a popularity contest like Survivor is. They're just fierce competitors, and they'd yell and cheer each other in a way that is really annoying for other contestants. They compete to win.

You'd get sick of their yelling and root for them to lose (that was my watching experience, at leasT).

The reason she was worse on the Amazing Race is because they are incredibly annoying when together with all their "TWINNNIEEEEE" bullshit. Because they were separated immediately in the first episode, Natalie hasn't been remotely as bad.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

People really need to stop trying to read the edit, it just makes everyone look like morons. Some many people were commenting how Josh and Jeremy were clearly edited to have a big alliance battle for the rest of the season, and we all know how that went.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

gently caress, they may as well ask "who do you want to give a HII to?" at reward challenges. Such bullshit.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

A reward they were given after which they turned around and betrayed the people who gave it to them no less

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Did Jaclyn seriously say that Alec was being nicer to her than Jon has ever been? Hahahaha, that's a "we are breaking up after the season is over" if I've ever heard one. Poor Jon though, from his confessionals he was just legitimately wanting to chill with Jaclyn instead of game talk.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

I never imagined I would like Natalie as much as I do after two seasons of "TWINNIE" on the Amazing Race.

No kidding.

I hope someone mentions to this to her at some point so she realises that maybe she should strike out on her own instead of (seemingly) defining herself by being a twin.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

TMMadman posted:

I've never really watched seasons of the Amazing Race, but the difference might be because it seems to be an entirely different social structure. The teams in Amazing Race don't seem to interact much with each other, but here Natalie has to tone it down or she risks pissing off people who can vote her out of the game.

Nah, it's because she's without her twin.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Why the hell is Natalie so confused? If you can't vote out Jon, vote out her girlfriend? How is that complicated? They're even splitting the vote so it'll be easy.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Why betray Jon, but not betray him by voting out Jaclyn? That's so dumb.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So Natalie betrayed Jon not by voting out Jaclyn, which she easily could have done and significantly weakened him, but by instead voting out Alec instead of Keith.

I take back any praise I've sent her way, that made no sense whatsoever. Both Jon and Jaclyn will be after her now, so stupid.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Disregarding meanness or pettiness or whatever, I absolutely adored Reed's speech. It was delivered so amazingly well, I couldn't believe it. He must have spent forever rehearsing that thing, because he delivered it flawlessly.

Dude clearly hates Missy, but he also did a good job of saying "hey, you should bring me back as a returnee". Because it is definitely going to happen after that evisceration.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

One thing I didn't notice in this thread was discussion about how Jaclyn had a chance to win the entire game but threw it away? All she had to do was vote Natalie instead of Baylor at final 5; getting someone to use their idol on you and then using that immunity to vote that someone off is a game winning move. Missy and Baylor likely would have taken Jaclyn to final tribal even if she hadn't won immunity because they were stupid and scared of Keith. Alternatively she could have got with Keith and said they would force a draw until one of Baylor/Missy agreed to be voted out (knowing it would make no difference to their chances of winning).

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Mercaptopropyl posted:

She had no idea Natalie had an idol before tribal council. You could tell she wasn't just acting surprised when Missy (or maybe it was Baylor) mentioned that they weren't worried about the idol because they knew who had it.

If Natalie didn't have an idol that she was intending on playing on Jaclyn, there was no way that Jaclyn voting against Baylor could accomplish anything because there wouldn't be enough votes. If Jaclyn was going for the hail mary with Natalie and believed her, she would have had to believe that either Keith was in on it (which she would have known he wasn't since Natalie obviously would have told her not to talk with him since he wasn't part of the plan), or Natalie had an idol.

Obviously it requires a better understanding of strategy than Jaclyn is capable of, but all the necessary information to deduce what would have to happen for Jaclyn to stay in the game if Natalie was telling the truth was there.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Natalie could have had Keith in it or given him another name.

Right, but Keith wasn't in on it, that's the point. Jaclyn would have known Keith wasn't in on it because Natalie would have told her to not to talk to him. So there's only one way that Jaclyn can both think that Natalie wants to keep her around and have it be possible; that she had an idol.

quote:

Or Natalie could have been just confusing the votes. Her play was pretty nutty so it seems totally unfair to expect Jaclyn to predict it ahead of time based solely on Natalie telling her to vote for Baylor. Especially since she had no idea Nat had the idol.

The point being is that if Natalie was making a move against Baylor; the only way it could work given Jaclyn's information was for Natalie to have an idol. So either she was lying, and it doesn't matter what Jaclyn does, or she isn't, and Jaclyn can win the game by voting Natalie out because...

quote:

And I'm not sure that betters her chances for F3 or a win. Sure, it's arguably a big move but it's more of a Natalie mistake than a Jaclyn move. But even still unless you work the fallacy of the predetermind outcome and assume Jaclyn wins F4 immunity she runs the chance of Keith winning immunity and Baylor and Missy voting her out.

it is a HUGE move, right in front of the jury, up against people who haven't made any visible moves since it was Natalie getting the credit for the prior moves.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

If Natalie was being honest, Jaclyn stays in the game. If Natalie wasn't, Jaclyn was going home no matter what. There was really nothing to do but follow what Natalie said because going against her didn't have a guaranteed outcome at all.

If Natalie was being honest, her only possible plan that could benefit Jaclyn was A, and Jaclyn could have destroyed her with her own option B instead. Doing this would have meant an almost definite win if she made final 3 (huge game changing move taking out the clear favorite to win), and would have increased her chances of getting to the final 3 (getting rid of one of the biggest challenge threats, and she could have just played dumb until final tribal about why she voted Natalie in order to have Missy/Baylor take her to the 3 instead of "challenge monster keith that everyone likes"). Of course there's no guaranteed outcome, but one can infer from the information at hand likely strategies that others will employ, and choose optimal responses to those strategies to improve ones own chances.

I think it's silly to just say "her only option was to trust Natalie instead of thinking about her own move to benefit her own game".

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Yeah what a mistake by Jaclyn not to predict someone would definitely play an idol on her.

:cripes:

There was only one possible way that Natalie could keep Jaclyn around.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the hurdle here seems to be that you (Shakugan) are 100% convinced that Jaclyn had certainty that Keith wasn't involved with Natalie's plot while I (and it seems everyone else) don't really understand why you're so sure of that.

Because if he was involved, Jaclyn would have been free to talk to him. There's no way Natalie would have left things up to chance (because Keith is known to always spill the beans), so she almost certainly told her not to talk to Keith about the plan. That is a giant red flag, because if he was in on the plan, talking to him wouldn't have been an issue.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I just don't see Natalie taking the chance that Jaclyn would talk to Keith. I don't buy that Jaclyn wouldn't say anything to him at all if she thought he was in on a plan to vote Baylor.

I guess it's impossible to say for sure with the footage we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Unmerciful posted:

No he wouldn't - if they tie for 2nd they both get $100k... Vytas did the same thing with Gervase/Monica and I thought it was a dick move then too.

I just checked though and the difference between 2nd and 3rd place is only like $15k not $50k like I thought so I take it back - not really a huge deal

Honestly if I ever went on Survivor my strategy would be to make myself the goatiest of goats. Because the prize money for decent place finishes is pretty drat good (though they always seem to make a point of not allowing discussion of this sort of thing to be aired), and being someone others want to try get to final tribal seems like the strategy that would maximise expected return.

• Locked thread