Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
This topic applies to me. I've been on SSDI for about 5 years. Been legally blind since birth so I'm technically receiving from my dad's working history, even though he applied for it (and received it) around the same time. It's not too terrible, I guess. I used the money to put myself in a relatively self-supported position (moved out of my house for a bit with some friends, paid rent and lived just like a normal working person) and the fact I'm legally blind means my SGA is nearly double, so I can safely work when I land a job (usually temp positions are the only ones that'll hire me). The OP made a point that working hours have something to do with that? Is that true? I've never seen that, only a dollar limit (SGA), and there was an 8 month period where I was working for CVS and sometimes had 30 hour weeks (that still came under SGA), and I've never been contacted by SSA about it. I filed my earnings on my taxes and everything.

The nature of my disability, being legally but not totally blind, surprises some people since, on the surface, I seem totally normal until you ask me to read something from more than 5 inches from my face. I've had people tell me I'm gaming the system, even had some people (on Reddit/other internet shitholes, never real life) tell me I'm "the problem with the system" and should die quickly if I can't get hired. I actually do bring up my vision problems at interviews because A) it's easy to spot when they ask me to read a form and I have to look suuuuper close and B ) there's been times where "having reliable transportation" was part of the job posting, even though the job didn't need to involve driving at all, and I'd argue the point that public transport can still get me to their premises. There's been times where it has applied, like all the guitar teaching jobs that seem to demand you be able to drive to a student's house (I have a degree in Music and teach privately in my spare time, but joining up an established private school with administrative help in finding/keeping students would be excellent....if they all didn't require a car for some reason), and I just don't bother to apply. I'd like the extra pocket money, but sometimes when people find out I'm working AND on disability, they get mad. So I don't know what they want. If I'm working while on disability, I'm "cheating". If I'm not working while on disability, I'm "lazy". If I didn't take disability, my ability to get hired would be substantially lower than most in the first place. I choose to not give a gently caress and just live my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread